Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Allen Wren posted:

sure, "hilarious"

totally "hilarious" that I wasted an entire summer playing through it without really grasping what I was supposed to do such that the random encounters only got worse, happening more and more often...not knowing I had to draw spells from bosses (because you stock up on poo poo BEFORE you fight a boss, why would I spend rounds not buffing/debuffing, dealing damage or healing myself?) and basically winning fights by summoning GFs and breaking my thumb rapid-firing on the boost ability --- and then finding myself having saved my game on lunatic pandora right before the final fujin/raijin fight, which I could not beat, nor could I go back and grind up.

like sixty-plus hours in a summer where my mother would only let me play for like a half hour at a time before yelling at me to do some kind of a chore or just to go outside

my main issue was more with the story and characters, both of which were just the loving worst.

ff8 turned me away from the entire jrpg genre for over a decade. thank god persona 4 reminded me that i actually like jrpgs, though otoh that meant i subjected myself to eternal sonata so maybe that wasn't for the best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

I saw a screening a few days before its official opening and yeah, objectively as a movie it was extremely bad in several respects. As advanced as the effects were it was still poo poo tier in terms of acting and story and the other things that actually matter if you want to get box office numbers.

Well, I think history shows you don't have to have decent acting or story to do well in ticket sales. You do have to be understandable, though. If people leave the theater saying, "What the gently caress was that?" that's a bad sign.

financially racist posted:

my main issue was more with the story and characters, both of which were just the loving worst.

ff8 turned me away from the entire jrpg genre for over a decade. thank god persona 4 reminded me that i actually like jrpgs, though otoh that meant i subjected myself to eternal sonata so maybe that wasn't for the best.

I recently completed FF8 after bouncing off it several times and I found it to be completely terrible mechanically and storywise. It's so easy to break the combat system and so transparently obvious how to do it. I feel like their playtesting in that regard was just assuming that players wouldn't take the simple way to do.

This philosophy also followed Square forward. FF10 has a lot of the same problems as FF8 though at least there the character development system is interesting; literally the only saving grace in that game. FF8 is essentially the moment they decided that their RPG's were not about exploring and developing your character but instead were about telling their stories. Their lovely, lovely stories.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 27, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FF8 isn't perfect but calling it a lovely game just because you didn't understand the mechanics and wasted a summer playing it wrong is a bit much.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

Well, I think history shows you don't have to have decent acting or story to do well in ticket sales. You do have to be understandable, though. If people leave the theater saying, "What the gently caress was that?" that's a bad sign.

excuse me sir but clearly the secret to making lots of money with your cg movie is to have your lead cg 'actress' appear in a swimsuit in a magazine

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Meanwhile, in the category of things that I wish someone that isn't a relative never spent money on even if it was a joke was the night I got a double helping of Bad Rats and Five Nights at Freddy's. Bad Rats just straight up sucks and Five Nights stresses me the gently caress out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mycophobia posted:

I just saw the cgi and was like "god drat. gently caress"

The movie looked amazing them it came out, but they really shouldn't have called it final fantasy. Up to that point, all the FF games had been very not sci-fi affairs.

Maybe call it Xenogears or something, I dunno.

Mak0rz posted:

FF8 isn't perfect but calling it a lovely game just because you didn't understand the mechanics and wasted a summer playing it wrong is a bit much.

It's easily the worst FF game, not counting MMO ones.

And yes, it's worse than Mystic Quest.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sir Tonk posted:

The movie looked amazing them it came out, but they really shouldn't have called it final fantasy. Up to that point, all the FF games had been very not sci-fi affairs.

Just ignore that Final Fantasy VI was a steampunk setting and Final Fantasy VII was a cyberpunk setting and that Final Fantasy VIII had a god drat robot spider in the first mission that was shot up with a minigun in the end.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sir Tonk posted:

i mean ff1 had a goddamn space station, so

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ FF1 also had WarMech

Star Man posted:

Just ignore that Final Fantasy VI was a steampunk setting and Final Fantasy VII was a cyberpunk setting and that Final Fantasy VIII had a god drat robot spider in the first mission that was shot up with a minigun in the end.

also you get a sci-fi spaceship in FFIV and you fight inside a giant robot at one point

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's funny that we're talking about Spirits Within as an incoherent film when I finally watched Eraserhead for the first time yesterday (yes, I know I should have seen it years decades ago). Of course, one was directed by David Lynch and the other was directed by the guy who wrote Final Fantasy VII.

Sir Tonk posted:

It's easily the worst FF game, not counting MMO ones.

And yes, it's worse than Mystic Quest.

I hate Mystic Quest and I'd rather play it again than FF8. At the very least I'd be finished with it sooner.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

It's funny that we're talking about Spirits Within as an incoherent film when I finally watched Eraserhead for the first time yesterday (yes, I know I should have seen it years decades ago). Of course, one was directed by David Lynch and the other was directed by the guy who wrote Final Fantasy VII.

I realize that the Final Fantasy movie was pretty poo poo and all, but comparing that to David Lynch is like comparing an apple to Jupiter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
On second thought, I really do ask myself why I pay for Virtual Console copies of Zelda II when I loathe that game.

God bless those of you that enjoy it, but it feels like I have to learn how to play it again every time I try.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, it's lovely because it's really poorly written and has terrible mechanics

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Eh, Ehrgeiz is a better fighting game than Mystic Quest is an RPG. Mystic Quest is the nadir of Final Fantasy.

Cyber Org is an obscure Squaresoft dud from the PlayStation. Mediocre 3-D action game with an aesthetic that's half anime, half American comic book.

Even so, PlayStation-era Square is one of my favorite developers. They tried something new every other month.

Edit: Final Fantasy VIII is an excellent comedy and the Draw system is neat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kid Fenris posted:

Mystic Quest is the nadir of Final Fantasy.

You can swing a dead carbuncle and hit an entire room full of worse FF games than MQ.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Star Man posted:

I'm trying to think of any really bad games that I owned that I or my parents spent money on.

We were pretty broke in the early 90s, so my NES collection (yes, NES) consisted of, like, a bunch of average (but older) games and some really poo poo ones.

And Crystalis.

If memory serves, this is what was in that old Converse shoebox:

SMB/DH
Crystalis
Ice Hockey
Hogan's Alley
Destination Earthstar
Skate or Die
Back to the Future
Metal Gear (found at a yard sale for $5 in like 1994, cart only, still had to beg for it)
Solomon's Key (basically same)
Conquest of the Crystal Palace (borrowed from another kid around the same time period, both our families moved out of town before the cart could be returned IIRC)

I think that's it really

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Star Man posted:

i mean ff1 had a goddamn space station, so

And you spent most of those games wandering around with a sword.

None of the FF games had been straight 90's style sci-fi and it was weird.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

excuse me sir but clearly the secret to making lots of money with your cg movie is to have your lead cg 'actress' appear in a swimsuit in a magazine
I may have had the Maxim that appeared in or whatever.
But Aki was supposed to be the start of a Digital Actress -- they had plans to reuse her in other Square Film works after Spirits Within. And to be honest the tech was pretty good for the time. It wasn't until Gollum that we got a nice CGI 'actor' character.

Random Stranger posted:

It wasn't a good movie then. I saw the opening matinée and left disturbed at what an incoherent mess it was.
Part of it was that you had a narrative set up to make the protagonist look like a loon, but then a lot of the world was predicated on what they were expounding being right. Like Dr. Cid's orange barrier poo poo WORKS at repelling the Phantoms effectively, so there's something behind his methodology that makes sense no matter how crunchy his new age spirituality may be.

You'd also think that x-many years after the initial Phantom encounters, you'd have a military that realizes that shooting force ghosts doesn't do much unless you're using Cid's Holistic Gaiatech.

Of course, the most egregious error was going Full Sci-Fi when most of the games' fans had played High Fantasy/ Retrosteam Fantasy games. Hell, they could have made the Gaia-extraction subplot result in dumb "crystals" as a nod to the original set of games.

al-azad posted:

I remember Spirits Within being boring as poo poo with little action and a lot of bad dialog. Something about unkillable aliens that steal your soul by touching you and there's no real way to fight them, not an interesting concept for me. I remember Titan AE more vividly than Spirits Within.
The idea of an exploded piece of planet being soul kryptonite was interesting, but it comes way too late in the story to be worthwhile.

Oddly, I remember watching it shortly before 9/11, but it looks like it was released sometime in July. There's a timeline somewhere that has Spirits Within the worst tragedy of 2001.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 27, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sir Tonk posted:

And you spent most of those games wandering around with a sword.

None of the FF games had been straight 90's style sci-fi and it was weird.

Swords have a rich history in sci-fi my dude

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

I realize that the Final Fantasy movie was pretty poo poo and all, but comparing that to David Lynch is like comparing an apple to Jupiter.

My point being that incoherent can work if you're a master director creating a series of striking vignettes and images instead of someone who doesn't understand filmmaking creating generic scifi action set pieces.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got an NES Max today on a whim. I took it apart, retrobrited it, cleaned it all up and then played Ice Hockey with it. What a great controller. I'd always been curious about it since my childhood but never tried one until today. I don't imagine I'll use it for lots of games but it might be good for guardian legend, some other shooters, and some sports games.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

Off the top of my head Nintendo had some really poorly-received games recently, like Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival,

Not ashamed to say that this is the disc in my Wii U at the moment. It's fun. It's just a different kind of fun.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mak0rz posted:

I'd almost argue that FF8 is a shittier game when you do understand the mechanics. Using the junction system to its fullest potential removed all challenge from the game, and it's definitely not a game you continue playing for the story (at least after a certain point in Disc 2).

I liked Ehrgeiz, but I've never been really proficient in fighting games—3D fighters in particular—so I was probably blind to a lot of its flaws. I remember liking it more than Tekken 3, less than Soul Blade, and finding the dungeon mode a lot of fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Not ashamed to say that this is the disc in my Wii U at the moment. It's fun. It's just a different kind of fun.

I was super excited to play it, bought it day one for the cute amiibos. One turn in my sister, who loves Animal Crossing, Mario Party, and Japanese video game boardgames she turned to me and said "this loving sucks."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The worst game Square has published is The Third Birthday and nothing else is even remotely close imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

Who is more thirsty for their protagonist, the third birthday guy and Aya or Final Fantasy Lightning guy.

At this point I'd like to also kick you while you're down and remind you that Maeda was more than likely waifu-director's stand-in. With all the relevant horrifically-creepy connotations of that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Our X-bone controller that was purchased for PC gaming is dying. Finally. It' started out just fine but is a launch-age one so it's flimsy and unresponsive and the sticks drift and is generally a piece of poo poo that gets worse each day. Though I'm not sure if new ones are any better.

I want a replacement. I'm coming to this thread because the new controller will get a lot of use as something to play emulated console games and whatnot with. It will also get some use as a PC game controller, probably mostly for Fallout/Skyrim. Any recommendations?

I really want a DS4 because I know they're high quality but drat they have a fat price tag and I don't want to deal with an Xinput wrapper. The 8bitdo ones look sick as hell and the idea of having an adapter for my SNES when I eventually drag it up this way is really nice. Should I wait until the SNES model with the dual sticks are available, though?

I like playing platformers so floaty "joyhat" nonsense like what's on the 360 pad simply would not do.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 27, 2017

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I know you're joking, but Square's output for the Famicom Disk System is essentially a list of terrible games.

Also, Vagrant Story is the good tactical RPG that Square released for the PS1. :colbert:

I wasn't joking. I like every game they did for the PS1.

Ofecks posted:

What do you consider the terrible SNES game?

Sir Tonk posted:

mystic quest

this.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

btw Ehrgeiz has a fun as hell roguelike mode.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
please be nice to mystic quest it does the best it can :smith:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

yeah, I should really give Mystic Quest the credit it deserves.

Its good at telling me my snes's cpu&ppu info.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Star Man posted:

On second thought, I really do ask myself why I pay for Virtual Console copies of Zelda II when I loathe that game.

God bless those of you that enjoy it, but it feels like I have to learn how to play it again every time I try.

Learning to play it isn't that hard; the game only has one relevant button.

The one that turns it off.

There's just nothing redeeming about it. The US music is terrible due to the warbling they added, the experience and level system feels horribly tacked on and doesn't really feel like you get much for how long it takes to earn increases, the dungeons are repetitive...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Zelda II is a fucker but I love lots of things about it. The dungeons aren't actually that bad until the final one, which is a bastard.

If enemies dropped hearts or magic drops were a bit more frequent that'd go a long way to balancing it better.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mak0rz posted:

Our X-bone controller that was purchased for PC gaming is dying. Finally. It' started out just fine but is a launch-age one so it's flimsy and unresponsive and the sticks drift and is generally a piece of poo poo that gets worse each day. Though I'm not sure if new ones are any better.

I want a replacement. I'm coming to this thread because the new controller will get a lot of use as something to play emulated console games and whatnot with. It will also get some use as a PC game controller, probably mostly for Fallout/Skyrim. Any recommendations?

I really want a DS4 because I know they're high quality but drat they have a fat price tag and I don't want to deal with an Xinput wrapper. The 8bitdo ones look sick as hell and the idea of having an adapter for my SNES when I eventually drag it up this way is really nice. Should I wait until the SNES model with the dual sticks are available, though?

I like playing platformers so floaty "joyhat" nonsense like what's on the 360 pad simply would not do.

Just buy another Xbone pad, try to get the most recent revision that comes in a white box since it did fix some of these issues and it has bluetooth support on Windows 10 if you don't already have the older wireless adapter. I honestly think the DS4 is a less quality and considerably less nice and comfortable controller than the Xbone pad, and for your uses has a worse dpad.

The 8bitdo FC30Pro is a good controller, but the joysticks aren't really suitable for playing anything for a long period, and I don't think the larger sticks on the SNES version are going to help a ton.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Zelda II is a fucker but I love lots of things about it. The dungeons aren't actually that bad until the final one, which is a bastard.

If enemies dropped hearts or magic drops were a bit more frequent that'd go a long way to balancing it better.

The scale of the sprite is a huge problem with Zelda 2 as it makes combat incredibly annoying. The game has other problems: the dungeons are boring, the leveling system is half-baked (especially in the disk system version), the magic system is poorly considered. It's the terrible combat that's the real nail in Zelda 2 for me. The flaws in that game are really common with terrible action-adventure games on the Famicom at the time, too...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Castlevania 2 is Zelda 2 done right.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The combat in Zelda II is great. It's the only Zelda where jumping and stabbing enemies directly in the face is a viable and effective strategy.

Random Stranger posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Castlevania 2 is Zelda 2 done right.

You should stop saying it :colbert:

Elliotw2 posted:

Just buy another Xbone pad, try to get the most recent revision that comes in a white box since it did fix some of these issues and it has bluetooth support on Windows 10 if you don't already have the older wireless adapter.

Really? I was under the impression that the Xbone pads are awful poo poo, so I'm assuming they fixed up the later revisions? The one we have now is nearly unusable at this point.

A Bluetooth version would be nice.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 27, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Zelda 2 is awesome. Castlevania 2 sucks donkey balls.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zelda 2 shouldn't have had lives. Just let me restart at the temple entrance you assholes.

Now the real "better Zelda 2" is Battle of Olympus. It basically starts out Zelda 2 without an overworld in the first half then turns into Castlevania 2 in the end with level design that could pass easily.

e: Ah man, I forgot you basically fight Shadow Link at the end of it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mak0rz posted:

Really? I was under the impression that the Xbone pads are awful poo poo, so I'm assuming they fixed up the later revisions? The one we have now is nearly unusable at this point.

A Bluetooth version would be nice.

The Xbox One pad is probably the best feeling controller right now, and for 2d games it has the massive advantage of a switched dpad, which only the Switch joycons can compete with.

• Locked thread