Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

To inaugurate the new thread, I have done something crazy.

No, I didn't buy that. But what I did do is order a couple of Chinese reproductions.

I don't think it's really come up around here before, but there's Chinese manufacturers who are taking advantage of the retrogame boom to run off a few hundred copies of a ROM they downloaded. SNES stuff tends to be a bit pricier but if you just look it's not hard to find a place that will run off any Genesis/Mega Drive game for you for less than $5 including shipping from China. (I'm pushing at the edge of the :filez: rule here, but I assume that if you really want to go do this you know how to find the largest Chinese manufacturing marketplace out there on your own).

I ordered a couple of games that were unreleased in the US in US cases, but I'm interested in if they work at all (a big if when it comes to Chinese carts), what the shell is like, and how easy fraud would be using these carts.

FWIW, there are more expensive reproductions of Chrono Trigger on the same site and they do claim to be able to save. It looks like the more expensive SNES reproductions run about $18 - $25. Though I definitely wouldn't get Star Fox 2 from them.

I ordered a SNES RPG reproduction from Aliexpress, and it did work OK and save mostly OK but there was an infinite money cheat turned on permanently.

You may not be able to tell it from a real cartridge in a photo, but you can definitely tell in person. The game is lighter than a real cartridge, the plastic color is slightly off, and there may be plastic clips holding the game together instead of screws. Also the label paper was too thick and too glossy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that pot on the gba sp 101 as well?

It's under the battery on the GBA SP, which makes adjusting it harder.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

plasticbugs posted:

Okay, I've figured out that it IS my TV. I've been playing through my Framemeister with heavy scanlines on, so I didn't notice it was doing this bullshit smoothing thing. It's a brand new TV and I suggest you all avoid it like the plague for retro gaming.

It's an LG OLED65B6P. gently caress this TV. Holy gently caress. If I had known, I would have returned it a month ago when we got it. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for it. Even in "Game Mode" it's still doing this smoothing poo poo. I guess I need to call LG's customer service and figure out how to turn this "feature" off.

Try changing the name of the input you're using to "PC". That was the only way to disable over scan and sharpening filters on my Samsung.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

"Grrr.... gently caress playing for stars in Game and Watch Gallery 4! It takes twenty minutes for the games to speed up to be challenging but at that point you're only one fifth of the way to the required points! I'll get get an Action Replay or Game Shark so I can unlock everything...

":eek: When did cheat devices for the GBA become absurdly expensive?!"

If you have a DS flash cart, there are homebrew programs you can use to dump saves off GBA carts and write them back again (and then you do your cheating in an emulator).

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

worthless. posted:

Who has a Commodore 64 they don't want anymore? I have moneydollars.

Edit: why the gently caress do I keep getting new pages

I have a C64c and one floppy drive that has been sitting around for a year. The keyboard probably needs cleaning because it takes a lot of force to respond and it's NTSC so none of the good demos will work.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

worthless. posted:

The 64c doesn't look as super rad as the normal 64 but how much you want for that bad boy?

Well, I plugged it in this morning to test and the 1541 started smoking as soon as I turned it on. SO I may have to get back to you about that.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I opened up the disk drive, there's one burned tantalum capacitor and inductor on the drive PCB that I can probably just replace. Seems to be a fairly common problem with these, so maybe all the other tantalums need to go too.

The C64 itself still works fine, and if you were going to get a disk drive emulator maybe you don't need a 1541 anyway. I'd do $75 plus whatever shipping is, whether you want the 1541 or not. email hoffmaa1 at uci dot edu.

e: maybe I should go make a SA-Mart thread, I had a lot of PC stuff in this closet I should get rid of. PC Engine games, a Shuttle PC from 2002ish, a 90s Toshiba laptop, Blue and White G4, a Sound Blaster AWE64.

Grapeshot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 22, 2017

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Be careful about anything with a battery backup as a gb repro. I've yet to get one of these with one present, making those four dollar RPGs a bit useless.

I guess I've been lucky to get a battery in all 3 Game Boy repros I bought so far. I would think they would at least put on a battery holder so you could add your own, like the $7 SNES repros are doing now.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Aliquid posted:

BoF2 is one of my all-time favorites, warts and all. Not many actually challenging RPGs from that era. I've never seen a savefile and have no idea how it works between savestates and in-game saves.

Loading a save state also resets the battery save file to what it was when the state was saved. It has to, because most games use the SRAM during gameplay as well. You shouldn't ever use both save states and the in-game saves at the same time. Stick to one or the other.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

Pirate carts of single games tend to be a different thing than pirate multicarts. It's relatively cheap and easy for a pirate cart maker to implement saving for a single game, and it really helps for when they want to pass off a title as legit. But implementing saving for games on multicarts is a real headache, since the code for a different game might try to use the SRAM etc save address space for its own uses and corrupt any saved games.

This could be handled with careful patching of the ROMs they use, by why go to the effort as a multicart maker?

Right now there are a few NES multi carts on AliExpress with SRAM. Either they only include one game that saves, like the 150 in 1 with the PAL version of Kirby's Adventure, or they have several games that use SRAM but only one SRAM slot so you can only play one game that saves at a time. Generally they don't go to any effort to get clean versions of games, either, so expect JP, US and PAL versions thrown together and some games with extra glitches because of whatever patching they had to do to make it work on the cart.

The GBA multicarts at least let you save more than one game at once, but the one I have mutes the GB sound channels every time you save. Very annoying in Harmony of Dissonance.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

Anyone that tells you that they've played Four Swords is a liar.

I played through the whole thing once, but I had the advantage of triplet cousins who all had GBAs at the time. I have also played Crystal Chronicles with 4 people, for like half an hour before one GBA ran out of battery.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I'm tempted to buy a Philips CD-I off Craigslist but I know it's a dumb idea and a waste of money. He only has the IR remote and I don't think I want to patch together a real control solution with an Arduino and pin headers shoved in the controller port. If I don't get it I probably won't see one locally again though.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

In case you decide to waste your money anyway, make sure you know whether or not it has the digital video cartridge, and look up a guide for replacing the timekeeper battery.

Seems to have the MPEG cartridge, but yeah it's not worth chiseling the epoxy on the clock chip away to replace that battery. I can have a lot more fun with $70 some other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I think you need this to go with it.

I'm beginning to suspect Aliexpress sellers have caught onto to people buying these things specifically for the insane titles.

Not just the insane titles. They have games that no one was meant to have.

Which 4 of you bought that?

Why am I tempted to organize an Aliexpress Repro Secret Santa?

• Locked thread