Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Does that mean whoever used the leftmost and rightmost joysticks were pressing right or left to go up and down? If that's the case, I guess I could understand it because it's at a way more extreme angle than what I am looking to do.

I have played 6-way XMEN! Its pretty wild.

Yeah, the people standing on the far left, like, everybody uses up down left right as is relative to their facing, it feels pretty natural.

If you're on the far left, your "left" would be somebody else's "up" direction, but to you that'd feel right. The TV screen is kinda sideways but its not a big deal.

Imagine you're sitting in your living room holding a game controller just facing the screen sideways. You still hold the controller the same way as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OK I apologize but I am confused. I agree with your last sentence. But it seems as though you said the far left player would be using the directional relative to their facing. So if they wanted their character to go right on the screen, they would be pointing the joystick towards the right side of their body, or up/away from their body?

Right side of body. Its all the obvious and intuitive way.

Really? So if you moved the joystick towards the left side of your body, the character on the screen went left, and not up?

Yep, that's how it worked for me. Like you're holding an NES controller and facing sideways, you push left relative to you, character on screen moves left.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

As long as the wires have enough give on them all you'd need is some mechanical connector to mount the joystick in place that can be unlocked to rotate.

I mean poo poo you could even like screw it in and then just un-screw and re-screw it in the same holes but it'd be a pain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

You probably want something that's going to let you rest a finger on each key you're going to actively use, so you probably don't want to go square. Either go with a row, or there's also:

pre:
B X Y -
A - - -
which gets you a bit more of a curve for your fingers.

Square shape works for fighting games, because you're either hitting one or the other and you just need lots of buttons close together so you can hit them fast and don't need to use your pinky or anything.

But for other arcade games I agree, that shape you posted is the ideal shape for games like Aero Fighters, Metal Slug, etc. all your standard arcade stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

d0s posted:

I would avoid spending money on repros and put it into a flash cart at this point

d0s posted:

yes they work fine but what is the point when for the price of a few repros you can have a "repro" with every game on it?

Why not just play it on emulator?

It feels cool to "collect" them in a physical form. Downloading MP3s feels lame, buying vinyls feels rewarding. (or maybe I'm just opening myself up to criticism here)

d0s posted:

Sturnt Race FX is historically cool and saccing legit games to make bootleg games is lovely

I agree with this though. Its definitely the easier way to do a repro cart but it feels kinda lame. Sure Stunt Race FX sucks and there's a lot of copies, but its still a limited production and they're only going to get older and rarer. Like people buying up all the games with Famicom-to-NES adapters and chunking them, its kinda weak. Those games are part of history.

Still as long as there's several copies of Stunt Race FX that are playable its not a huge deal? But how long is that sustainable exactly? Not that repro carts are being mass produced but they're not super super uncommon either.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It feels cool to "collect" them in a physical form. Downloading MP3s feels lame, buying vinyls feels rewarding. (or maybe I'm just opening myself up to criticism here)

d0s posted:

a repro is just as fake as a flash cart, you're paying for placebo effect

:colbert: I know, that's the point. I already said that.

And its not the placebo effect, its having a physical thing instead of just data on your memstick. Call it the collector effect or the "being able to touch it" effect. Tangible effect?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

d0s posted:

if it's worth it to you I can't knock it it just seems like an astoundingly bad financial decision to shell out for a lot of repros when flashcarts exist. I also get having lots of physical games, I personally have a lot but I got into it before prices went nuts. being a video game collector in 2016 is kinda nutso to me, the games are for playing and it's just as fun and just as accurate in a flash cart

I love having a huge collection of physical games, but I'm about to move and I'm really regretting it now. :doh:

Time to hire some professional movers I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

You are.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl, heathen.

LPs then :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

As long as they're not Nintendo 64 games. All of those are crap.

Except Tetrisphere.

Tetrisphere has nothing on The New Tetris.

Okay some people are going to say The New Tetris is a bad game and its development was kinda rocky apparently but it includes the single best mode of any tetris game and so many games since haven't had it: square tetris.

I had so much fun in college playing 4-way square tetris, competing against each other to form squares and clear them faster and faster. It completely changes the priorities in how you play the game.

Zand posted:

downwell is really actually fun :D but its definitely not a shmup

im repost this then

What.

I imagine this happening over time, the guy slowly buying more and more input devices and just adding them without getting a new board or moving the existing controls, because what the hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

McFunkerson posted:

This guy knows what's up. My friends and I used to play 4 player mode in High School all the time. It had a long string of preview pieces, a bank you could rotate piece into to save it for later, and the ability to make those big gold & silver blocks. It felt like the perfect evolution of Tetris, it changes things up just enough but kept the core game mechanics the same.

Yeah dude, I had every combination that formed a gold or silver block memorized, it was crazy. :hfive:

The Milkman posted:

:hfive:

New Tetris has provided far and away the most fun I've had in tetris multiplayer. Everyone remembers N64 multiplayer as Goldeneye/Kart/Smash but New Tetris and Dr Mario 64 gave them a run for their money in our group.

I really wish that squaring mechanic would make it into any of the newer games as a mode or something.

My people!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Really cool article on how old school games and sprite art used to be made: http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/149092824100/the-sega-digitizer-system-a-tool-used-by-graphic

They don't make em like they used to!

Wow, that's awesome. Is there any way to play Super Game Boy games on an emulator? I really want to play Donkey Kong 94 portably with the border and colors and better sound effects.

In case anybody doesn't know how rad Super Game Boy Games were

http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just avoid Roppongi; it's a garbage city full of garbage people.

Counterpoint: I saw a ton of cool street art and I got super loving drunk at a "New York Style" bar. It was an amazingly good time.

I liked all of Tokyo, although it sometimes smelled bad. My worst experience wasn't Rappongi, but actually Shinjuku where I was staying. Walking the streets at night, I had Japanese women and African men both CONSTANTLY trying to get me to come down some dark alley or go to some titty bar or something, it got extremely obnoxious. You don't even make eye contact but they see a foreigner walking down the street and just start yelling at you, one lady came over and put her hand on my arm and tried to pull me aside, it was creepy.

Akihabara is nerd heaven obviously. Make sure you check out Super Potato, its an amazing store, even if the prices aren't necessarily the lowest.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's basically all the worst parts of Amsterdam and Atlantic City but with worse gambling, less strip clubs, and way more expensive beer, so even if you wanted to have fun in a skeezy hole you're gonna pay out the rear end for it. And honestly there are way better skeezy shitholes to party in in Tokyo, and ones that contain dramatically less drunken foreign business people. K-cho is way sketchier just in the sense that there are people actively trying to scam you everywhere with the good ole drag you into a hooker bar and then run your card for exorbitant prices by leading you on about loving the ladies scheme, but honestly it's hard for me to feel sympathy for the kind of people that get taken in by that poo poo. Basically as long as you never trust anyone who randomly approaches you on the street with "deals" or promises you something that sounds suspiciously good and isn't dressed in a mascot costume you'll be fine.

Same, but I got that stuff in Shinjuku, not Rappongi or anywhere else :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monitor Burn posted:

Someone asked about old game boxes a while back in the thread; here's mine that survived from the 90's (other than UN Squadron which I found boxed on Amazon a few years ago):

Very nice! I only have like 2 original SNES boxes, they're such lovely floppy cardboard that its impossible to keep them in good shape, most people threw them away. By comparison Genesis cases were perfect, nice thick plastic, pretty drat similar to what you get on modern console games.

I bought a bunch of these:

They're pretty much plastic Genesis or VHS cases, except they have the SNES covers printed and slipped inside them. Perfect.

Fleedar posted:

Did the whole backlight/bivert thing. Looks better than I expected.

This is beautiful, and now I'm tempted to try doing the same to my clear OG gameboy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I like the rounded edges, but don't like the notch.

Also, this is the Sonic 1 MegaDrive cart that I'm more familiar with.

That yellow label just looks wrong.

That label rules. Peak 80s/90s WILD AND CRAZY font.

Sonic By The Bell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is pretty crazy! All this music sampling chat got me to listen to some random SNES songs that I haven't heard in forever, and I caught another sample no one else on the internet seems to have caught!

This Final Fantasy IV song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuKydFsoBQ

was sampled in an Insane Clown Posse song released in 1994 believe it or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Fzrn3bpk4&t=119s

Starts at 2 minutes exactly. This is kind of nuts because I don't think anyone sampled video games back in 1994, plus this wasn't "discovered" on WhoSampled from what I can see.
It sounds like they simply adjusted the pitch slightly is all!

But yeah their producer was infamous for sampling really weird and uncommon stuff.

Hmm, I don't buy it. I'm willing to bet there's some old school public-domain piece (or something lost to the ages) which has just ingrained itself in our collective memory as like "circus music" and both Final Fantasy and ICP both used that same theme. Doesn't mean ICP was copying FF or even aware of it.

Like, that's just generic "Clown music". And you can see why both FF and ICP would go for a circus clown type sound.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oh wow, I just saw the Nintendo 3DS direct and they are putting Mario Maker on the 3DS. That is so perfect because I love that game but it's rare I get to use my WiiU. This will be great!

WHAT :allears:

RZA Encryption posted:

Local sharing/streetpass only.

Yeah....

WHAT :argh:

fishmech posted:

I think what's really going on with Nintendo's arbitrary "local only!!" multiplayer interaction stuff like that, is that they must only budget for a certain amount of new server infrastructure per year. So a game comes up once they've gone past that? Sorry, no online stuff at all or only crippled online stuff for it. Local-only wireless is free to Nintendo, after all.

They just really don't "get" the internet. They never have. Nintendo games have always lagged behind western games by like literally 5 years when it comes to online features.

You might be right about the servers, but that'd be weird. They can afford more. But I could see them just not wanting to because again, they just don't get the internet and how powerful it is.

If anything the internet just scares them. Kids play on our consoles! We can't let them have internet access! That's scary!
(It is, but its not like those kids dont' have PCs, and there are things you can do to mitigate it better than just not doing it)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm guessing they just take the better safe than sorry approach.

Its basically a "we don't know what to do with this and we aren't going to bother to find out" which I can kinda understand, but comeon... get with the times guys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah.... I didn't say it was a good policy :downs: Oh well. Nothing to do about it except whine on the internet.

And how! :)

Shadow Hog posted:

Less awesome: Nintendo nuking 562 fangames in a single DMCA takedown.

Probably smarter to do them in large batches like this instead of individually, now you're not making recognizable martyrs. Still, even with the caveat that they're totally within their legal right to do so, :wtc:

Man I really hate poo poo like this.

I mean, if they're charging money, sue the pants off em. Same with people who print band names on t-shirts and then get offended if you tell them its wrong.

But if these are just free to play fan games, who the gently caress does that hurt. Its ridiculous.

The law shouldn't even allow them to do this though, we gotta fix it in congress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The reason why blowing on cartridges "worked" is because often just seating and unseating the cartridge a few times will clean it off enough to work, your pushing it in harder and re-seating it probably did that. So yeah, just clean the contacts.

There's a lot of aftermarket plastic SNES covers, I dunno just google around, or ebay. Should be pretty cheap. I also tend to get them mixed in with used games I buy here and there, which is nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

NoE released a trailer for the EU NES Classic.
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/781735356450217984

It seems to imply that both 50hz and 60hz versions of games will be playable.

Love the over-the-top 80s style advertising

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

This is what the UI for the NES Classic looks like:

Certainly not a fan of the colorscheme in comparison to the Famicom Mini's variant.

Reminds me of Mario All Stars. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

What was even the point of that?

Seriously, what the gently caress?

Even if you want to get rid of them, all they did was make a HUGE mess. This is so loving dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

So here's an interesting thing that will come out next year:

:vince: statue with sega startup audio
holy poo poo it even looks like a genesis

somehow, after all these years, somebody at Sega realized what people want

I'm not even joking, I'm really excited about sega startup audio statue

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

so the price difference is just for a bunch of Sonic-related tchotchkes that I don't have much use for.

You say this like it isn't true of every collector's edition? That's kinda the point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

With so many games requiring a day-1 major patch, even having a physical release is kinda a nonsense concept. Lots of games have just included a code in the retail box (non-collector's edition) or others only include half the game and the other half has to be downloaded.

So having servers that can presumably go down sucks, but even if you have a 'physical release' if the servers are down, it may not be enough. At least not with the game industry treating game releases like open betas these days.

I buy digital for everything these days because I'm lazy and hate having to flip discs, so I don't even care if the collector's edition has a physical disc or not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Caitlin posted:

frankly this just feels like the wrong place to tell people that physical releases are dumb and god why wouldn't you go digital

They don't make em like they used to :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

:ohdear: Please remember to delete it within 24 hours

I actually laughed out loud at this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone have experience with a Framemeister on a 4k TV? I'm coming to the conclusion that I just want to game exclusively (modern and retro) on my Vizio 4k TV. The framemeister seems to be geared for 1080p so I don't know if the lag will be noticeable on my Vizio. I purposely got this one model, 2015 M-series, because of the low lag. But I'm thinking that the lag of upscaling 1080p plus the framemeister might be a dealbreaker. I'm on the waiting list for the OSSC, but who knows when I'll be able to get one. My set is rated for 1080p @ 60Hz 18.5 ms. What is the framemesiter, 16ms? so 34.5? Is that acceptable?

That's like 2 frames of lag. Its gonna depend. For RPGs you won't even notice it, but for a fighting game you might. Most games will be in-between, probably not a problem but trying to do fast actions you could notice it. Really depends upon the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Ha, Mega Man 2 and 3 have been my go-to lag test games. I feel like it's super obvious when there's lag in those, the jumping just feels awful.

Like if there's just enough lag, suddenly I eat poo poo on the Snake Man cloud platform jumps in MM3.

Yeah, the metal man jumping platforms are really rough if there's any input lag.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rirse posted:

Why are the NES mods so expensive anyway? Also can you use component with the NES if you don't have a RGB tv through a special cable, or that mod only works for RGB?

NES mods are expensive because you're either sourcing chips from arcade boards or you're fabbing new chips from small-run batches. Then you're doing some difficult soldering that you don't wanna gently caress up. Parts + Labor.

You can use component cables as RGB cables AFAIK, but no there's no component from NES, you're gonna need something that can process that RGB signal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FF8's last disc is a disaster but I thought the first disc was all pretty compelling, if messy at times. The setting is pretty unique and the characters are cool, though angsty.

The graphics are a huge improvement over FF7's popeye-arms and there's some real creative ideas in there.

Overall though I've always considered FFX to be what FF8 should have been.

I'm probably also biased based on growing up with it though. But what FF isn't that true of? (Ones you didn't play personally, I guess)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

Nostalgia bias is certainly a thing, I've been playing FF6 on my RetroPie the last week and it hasn't been grabbing me at all as someone who never played the SNES Final Fantasy games as a kid (Sega kid, Phantasy Star). I'm pretty much pushing through to see the opera scene then I'll probably drop it.

:negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It really is amazing how much emotion they're able to express with just 16-bit sprites and a few animations. FF6 and Super Mario RPG both do a ton of pantomime that really sells the charm. Especially Mario who is entirely silent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wizgot posted:

Quick question. How would I be able to use headphones with a SNES. I have a PC monitor with a composite input for video only. This means that the two audio cables are left hanging and I'm unable to listen to the games I'm playing. Is there a cable I can buy with an audio adjuster that hooks up to these cables where I can connect headphones?

Yeah you can get cables that go from stereo white/red to 1/8" audio jack. Check radioshack or amazon.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Get a RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter, an in-line 3.5mm volume controller and plug in your headphones. Done deal.

Some headphones already have volume controls :smuggo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rirse posted:

Oh I thought that what was used for the RGB mod?

Originally it was, as a hack solution. Then some smart EE majors came along and designed new chips that would accomplish the same thing, had those fabbed, and sold them individually.

As such there's no reason to gently caress with the arcade boards anymore, its a cruel waste since nobody's making new old arcade boards.

NESRGB is an original design that accomplishes the same thing as the chip people were pulling from PlayChoice boards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shlomo Palestein posted:

What happens to the cabinets those PlayChoice boards come from? It strikes me this should work both ways, so you might get a cab that was stripped for the parts and just RGB mod THAT to get a cheap Playchoice 10 cab....

That's a solid idea. I'm not familiar enough with the specifics of NESRGB to know if it'd work but gotta figure its possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

d0s posted:

I'm in japan it's really weird

That.. should be a chili dog... but it looks like raspberry jam? :wtf:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

al-azad posted:

This is the country that calls brown paste "curry."

Looking at the chili dogs in the cartoon there was always a loving olive on it. Who puts whole olives on their chili dogs?? No wonder Sonic sucks.

And then you had TMNT where the pizzas looked like margherita style where it's 90% sauce and some splotches of cheese but even when they introduce "toejam pizza" it's just got green peppers and pepperoni on it.

Yeah I've had pizza in Japan, and it was... different. Not bad though.

Nothing beats the pizza from the american cartoon TMNT though, with its physics defying inifinitely stretchy cheese. Growing up watching that show set me up for a lifetime of disappointment as no pizza on Earth has been able to hold up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I don't believe the first Playstation has component video output. It outputs RGB, though, so you could possibly convert it to component by getting a SCART cable and a SCART RGB-to-component converter box. You'd probably be looking at $80+ to do all that, though.

Or you can get a PS2 and put the PS1 discs in it and have native component :)

It makes me sad because I love the original flip-top PS1, but its just so much easier to use a PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Miles McCloud posted:

I've never played a Zelda game longer than half an hour or so. This is the one I'd most like to remedy, as Breath of the Wild looks like something I'd enjoy. Where in the series is best to start? I'm thinking Zelda DX for GBC looks like a good place personally.

LTTP or Zelda DX are probably the best places to start, yeah. LTTP is way more vibrant and interesting but also more complex, so maybe start DX and then if you get bored swap to LTTP?

Honestly Zelda 1 & 2 are probably not worth getting into by this point if you haven't already. I love them and people will defend them forever for being the originals, but... yeah. Just LTTP instead, and then move on to even bigger and better games.

2D Must Play - Link To The Past, Oracle of Ages/Seasons

3D Must Play - Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker

everything else should come after that.

• Locked thread