Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

For all intents and purposes the krikzz flashcarts will run almost everything official on a console EXCEPT for the Super NES, and a few notable issues with the original NES.

For the Super NES, specialized chips used by some games like the SuperFX (e.g. Star Fox, Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island, DOOM) and SA-1 (e.g. Super Mario RPG) will not run on any flash cart available at this time. A more common expansion chip called the DSP-1, and best known for Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart, will work, although for krikzz's Super Everdrive you will need to install an actual DSP-1 chip onto the board, or have it installed as an add-on by the store you're purchasing it from (usually an extra $15-20 or thereabouts).

I'd like some kind of confirmation on whether or not the region patching feature on the SD2SNES is enough to warrant a purchase for us euro folks, who operate on modded euro consoles. I mean, sometimes there's the "wrong game pak" error, in which case I have to click the 50/60 switch (even if I play the US version of a game, say, Super Metroid). I've heard some people say that the Super Everdrive still has these problems, whereas the region patching on the SD2SNES bypasses these errors.

I mean, I own both Rockman X2 and X3 and the rest of the games I'd play would probably work just fine on the Super Everdrive, this is just the part that worries me. (or just simply get a used Super Famicom and be done with it, since all my games are either SFC or NTSC now.)

MrLonghair posted:

Tame prices on the eBay affiliate site in Sweden (around $175 US), is it rare or is it PAL SCN doing what PAL SCN does?

I can't tell if that's mint condition, but that could explain it.. IIRC Terminator 2 isn't really a rare game, but it might be uncommon as SCN CIB?

I dunno, I stopped buying PAL games a while ago and haven't looked back.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been wanting to livestream some games for a while now, but all my consoles are RGB so it's a bit more harder (and expensive) than just using Elgato. Still looking for the best solution but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the capture card for my PC if I want to go that route.

I'd love to stream some Saturn stuff since not many people out here know much about the console, let alone the imports.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've reading about capturing RGB for live streaming and a lot of people suggest a capture card such as this one (+sync strike).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16815158418

This would be mostly for 240p.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In Nintendo news, I've been playing AM2R a lot yesterday and I could safely believe it's an official release. I'm not that familiar with Metroid series outside of Super Metroid (which I've played over and over again), as in, I haven't played the GBA Metroids that AM2R borrows the style and gameplay from - or the actual Metroid 2. But it really does feel like playing a Metroid game, although one mechanic I don't like all that much is the lava going down when you have killed enough metroids in one area, restricting your progress that way.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

That spoilered part was in the original Metroid 2.

Oh, all right. Disregard, unless maybe you're like me and haven't played the original and want to go blind in this one.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just died at the first Omega and since the save point was indeed like 30 minutes before (and I think they even close the way so you can't go back and refresh), including a very annoying shinespark missile puzzle, I just put the game down. I no longer have the same amount of re-playing patience as I did as a kid.

In general, not being able to save whenever you want is a thing that should've stayed in the past.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 10, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

silentq15 posted:

The two big shinespark puzzles in the game are very tough but its nothing that isn't reasonable to do once you truely master shinesparking. Even if your approaching it from "I have never shinesparked before" after a few attempts it can be figured out, and its satisfying when you do.

The hardest by far for me has been the one in the lower water area, where you first charge the spark, then have to space jump through some blocks and mid-jump do a horizontal shinespark (or wait until you land).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't like the big (original) Megadrive pad either. The smaller 6-button one (official) fits in my hands much better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have some games, around 20-30 for my systems each (NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC, Megadrive/Genesis) but I've mostly bought them a few years back when the market was still more affordable. This year I've bought very little, if anything, trimming my collection (getting rid of my PAL stuff etc.). I'm not exactly swimming in cash so I have a real hard time telling myself that I should get a 100 € game instead of one 100 € flashcart. Although I don't own any flashcarts yet (a lot of is me still contemplating on whether the cheaper Super Everdrive would be sufficient for my current erratic gaming style) I will get 'em in the future.

On the other hand I don't think I'd want to sell my collection even if I do get flashcarts. I might still pick up games if a good deal comes along. And knowing myself I'd go mad if I sold my NES/Famicom/SNES/MD stuff and kept my burned Saturn and PS1 games. (which is another thing I'm more than happy to do nowadays).

All in all I'm firmly in the camp who wants to play the games on the original hardware - got my PVM and RGB consoles, but I have no nostalgia about the cart itself.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

to me a collection is a hassle and I keep getting closer and closer to cashing out and getting all the flash carts

If I would get a good offer on my collection right now, I might be tempted to do this, despite what I said earlier. I would keep the consoles, maybe even get a few more, but all my future purchases would be flashcarts.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

So not a perfect product, but if you really want a cart you can plug into your system for certain titles it's not a bad deal for $4. The NES and SNES stuff starts closer to $20 and that's a price range where I'm less comfortable taking a chance with a guy dropping modified roms onto a cart. I've gone ahead and ordered a few more of these reproductions to fill in a collection hole where there's no way I could afford the real thing (that fighting game Treasure made, for example). It's not really going to be worth it to fill out your Genesis collection like this, though.

The problem I had with chinese Megadrive repro carts was that the connector part was thicker than the normal ones so I had to use real strength to pull them out from the console. In fact, I broke the cart slot on my previous console trying to get a repro cart out - a couple of pins bent in the process. (I got a new console eventually, that other one just needs a new connector) Some people I know said they had no issues, so I'm thinking the cart slot was a bit looser on their consoles. But for me the experience made me stop using Aliexpress repros carts for the MD. I'm planning on getting some flashcarts anyway.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I knew what song you would link from Astal even without listening, and yes, it's one of the best game soundtrack pieces I've heard too. If it were featured in some more known game, it'd be a classic tune.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking to capture/live stream some RGB retro consoles (240p). What are my options? I've read about some Startech capture cards which should be good.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The introduction post of the last thread included sandpiper's experience with a capture card and RGB-to-component box. I'm not aware of any direct RGB + sync input cards; or if they do exist, they're probably niche specialty products with accompanying high prices.

But if anyone else has information, I might be interested to know, too...

He's linking this card which I've heard about and should be good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007U5MGBE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

It's just expensive as hell. I was kinda hoping there'd be an older model since I don't really need 1080p or HDMI but I guess those are discontinued.

I would also need a sync strike

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html?language=en

And some form of scart splitter to get one signal to my PVM for playing and one to the capture card/sync strike.

I'd love to stream something but it's a big investment considering there might be a handful of friends watching.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You've gotta note, however, that sandpiper also mentioned using a SCART RGB to component box in his chain. The Sync Strike might convert the signal and do VGA output at 15 Khz, but that doesn't in turn mean that the Starforce card will accept a signal at that frequency on its VGA inputs.

From what I've read that's the main reason to get sync strike. I don't know what step would require me to use component signal.

Wish there would be a good info dump for this kinda stuff.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love the aesthetic, art, music and the story of FF9, after the horrible 8. I would chalk it up one of my favourites in the series, even. But the slow as hell combat system annoys the poo poo out of me. Was it any better on the NTSC versions? I should probably try the US version on my modded PS1 to see for myself. At least the already crippled PAL version was horrible in that regard. Good luck planning your fights when the characters take forever to pull the attacks off.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Where is your three paragraph rant?

You fail, you are not even using 16:9 aspect ratio!

e: ninja'd

I'm also that guy who makes these kinds of comments on Facebook gaming groups (where people who are not that well versed into retro gaming dwell):

"Use 4:3 aspect ratio if you have to use a modern TV"
"But do try to find a CRT if you can, it'll look so much better"
"Get a RGB Scart cable instead of composite"

And I consider it to be healthy advice to someone who necessarily won't know any better. Should I just let them do whatever they want?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 21, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Got myself some flashcarts including the Famicom N8 Everdrive. Is there a patch or something to be able to hear the expansion audio from games such as Gimmick or Akumajo densetsu? From what I read on Krikzz' forum, he hasn't programmed it, and some people used some kind of tricks to enable it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Asbrandt posted:

Some folks made complete replacement mapper code files for the 5B (Gimmick) and Akumajou Densetsu/Madara/Esper Dream 2 (VRC6) that involve replacing a couple of the stock RBF files in the MAPS folder.
The VRC6 one comes in many different volume settings, I -think- you want one that is 75% on HI to match the volume of the 5B one.

However, my EDN8 is currently an OS version behind, so I dunno if the current version may have broken any compatibility, and the download for the 5B seems to have died now, so if you like I can put my entire OS folder on dropbox or something.

That'd be nice, thanks, you can drop me a PM if you got a solution or a different OS, I will give those a try.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Did the new firmware for the SD2SNES enable any games that didn't work previously?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh hey, many years later, Saturn Policenauts got a translation patch.

Readme with notes/changes: http://policenauts.net/english/files/Policenauts_Readme_English_Sega_Saturn_V1.0.txt

If anyone actually does the patching, could you do a "for-dummies" type of guide? I'm reading the official guide, but I can't get the patch running. I get an error like this:

"file open failed: read: POLICENAUTS_1-1.iso: The system cannot find the file specified."

Even though I have named the file exactly like that.

e: Disregard, I'm an idiot who names his files file.iso.ISO

This is pure Kojima though, haven't got past the opening movie yet.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

I'll let you know when my copy is done downloading. It's probably a path issue.

Got it working.

I'm not the most technically inclined so it should doable for anyone.

Have to play this more with more time, the setting and the dialogue seem quite interesting.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

What'd you do? I'm having the same issue now.

EDIT: Oh, I'm a very silly person. I had file type hiding turned on. So I had files called POLICENAUTS_1-1.ISO.ISO *facepalm*

I edited on the previous page but this was my problem too. And the fact that I didn't realize you had to name the WAV files as 1-2, 2-2 and 3-2 for each disc.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have the Model 1 (HD graphics!) PAL Megadrive, albeit modded with 50/60 and eng/jap switches. Would I need a PAL Mega CD unit as well, or could I mix and match? It's not totally clear.

I do have the Mega Everdrive though, saved my life.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is so awesome, and just yet another reason to go with the SD2SNES if you haven't already. Hopefully they do this for the Link to the Past "sequels" too.

I have never even heard about BS Zelda, but now I have to try it.

You know, I tried that MSU-1 patch on LTTP a while back. But I never got it working. The ROM played but the improved music didn't play, for some reason. Maybe I patched it wrong, I'm not the most technically adept person (as you can see from my Policenauts patching stories) but I would really like to try this Zelda voiceover thing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I found it took me a bit of time to get the MSU-1 music working to on the LTTP CD mod. I too am using an SD2SNES. I think it ended up being something dumb like I had files in the wrong directory or something like that. Don't forget to run the patched ROM and it needs to be renamed, too. All the PCM files have to be laid out exactly as the instructions describe, too. Keep at it; it's worth it (make sure to do the FMV intro too).

Also there are a few BS Zelda things. The original NES version "remade" (kinda meh) and there's 4 "new chapters" of a Link to the Past.

Well, I got BS Zelda voiceover patch working, but I got a glitch where I can't see the alphabet when naming a character. It's just black screen. I can proceed with leaving the name blank though.

It's ... certainly something. Too bad there's the time limit, although I understand it's tied to the voiceover. I did try a version without the timer, too.

As long as we're talking about MSU-1 patches, I did try the Mega Man X one. But I didn't like it, the volume was way too high even with menu adjustments and I couldn't hear any sound effects. Plus I've come to like the MMX OST too much to replace it. I will give the LTTP patch a try as well. I think the problem last time was all the headerless and whatnot, I couldn't understand any of that.

e: yeah, that was it. I couldn't find a right kind of ROM and the programs they said to use to fix one didn't work.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 13, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh Yeah! That was my issue. I had to download a few different versions of the rom to get it to work. I think the one on emu paradise worked but I'm not a hundred percent sure. I just remembered the one I downloaded in a huge mega pack of games did not work.

It's worth the effort. The soundtrack is directly from the 3ds sequel so it fits perfectly.

If you got a working file, could you maybe drop me a PM?

e: Welp, it works now. The guide says the rom has to be 1.5 mb minimum but I got it working from the same place you did without expanding it or anything.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 13, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ah OK, I was trying to upload it to megaupload then the drat site asked me to register to share the link and I never got the confirm email. glad you got it working.

Hopefully you did it with the FMV!

Yeah, it's really fun.

Off-hand I would say that the LTTP MSU-1 patch is much more higher quality than the Mega Man X and Super Metroid patches I've tried.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

My Wife surprised me this afternoon in my sick stupor with a late birthday present. She got me a SD2SNES! Loaded it up and tried out some Adventures of Batman and Robin, found out I still can't beat the Joker, then had to fall back to my old standby, Donkey Kong Country. This cart is pretty amazing.

Loaded it up with the latest firmware as well.

Using various flashcarts (and CD-R on Saturn) has really revitalized my gaming. My time is sparse nowadays and I gave up on the collecting aspect, since the games I wanted were super expensive. Now I can give them a quick spin if I feel like it.

Not to mention the awesome MSU-1, translation patch and homebrew options.

Also, the Link to the Past and Super Metroid MSU-1 patches are awesome. I found a site that had a lot of those patches pre-packed, but I don't know if it's alright to link. It shouldn't be hard to find.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 16, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I was watching YouTube samples of the megaman x msu1 patch and I noticed that the music completely overpowered the sound effects as was noted earlier in the thread. Did you not find the same issues?

Yes, I think I wrote something about that when talking about my MSU experiences. Anyways, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the Mega Man X MSU all that much, other is that .. the "updated" music itself is kinda underwhelming, unlike the LTTP or Super Metroid. Audio inconsistency is a bit of a problem with Super Metroid too, some sounds like the "item get" fanfare are way louder than others.

Also it's great to be able to play Rock'n'roll Racing with the original tracks playing during gameplay.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

That FMV in LttP sure is something. Different strokes and all, and they're better than the CDi sequences, but a big part of why I play retro games is that you can be knee deep in the story in the time it takes modern games to give you movement control, and, well...

Otherwise I'd agree, but that opening FMV is just a one time thing, at least for me. It's done and even acted really well. It just fits there with the cinematic new soundtrack of the MSU-1 patch.

The BS Zelda though, at least the voice acting version, is kinda annoying for the reasons you said. It's a really strange and curious thing but the gameplay isn't the best. I have played the timerless version more.

Also one more point for the SD2SNES: Super Road Blaster, MSU-1 version.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah I probably would skip that then, as NES isn't a graphical powerhouse to be worth the trouble to make it look slightly better.

Boy, you are so wrong about this. The jump from composite to RGB on NES/Famicom is not "slightly better", it's a whole new universe of quality, sharpness and vibrance. I guarantee your jaw will drop and you will weep tears of 8-bit joy seeing it live. Worth every penny.

I can post some pics later but my G4 phone cam doesn't do them justice. Check out Monitor Burn's thread as well.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 17, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

He's pretty much the only guy doing one of those Chrongaming things that actually is capturing on original hardware with high quality output (same with his Gameboy world stuff) it's really apparent when you look at it because it actually LOOKS like an NES running on a real TV.

Gotta check that out as well.

I've been wanting to get into live streaming my RGB consoles but I just haven't got around getting all the necessary equipment. (the capture card would be a start...)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

What's the modern consensus on CD-R brands for consoles? I heard Taiyo Yuden was always the best, but apparently they stopped manufacturing CD-Rs last year. A lot of people used to recommend Verbatim, since they used Taiyo Yuden discs. However, now they're CMC Magnetics. TDK also switched to CMC. I noticed a couple of my systems have trouble with my TDK disks, but will work with my newer Verbatims just fine, even though they're both CMC-made. I'm guessing the inconsistency might be due to the disks being consumer/value disks.

To make matters more confusing, CMC apparently acquired Taiyo Yuden's manufacturing process. So, if you get "CMC Pro," you're allegedly getting the same quality as the Taiyo Yudens of old. They brand these as "professional," so I just ordered a pack hoping that I wind up with discs of reasonable quality.

The MediaPro brand seems to be trying to clone Taiyo Yuden discs as well: http://www.mediasupply.com/media-pro-premium-a-grade-blank-cds-and-dvds.html

I've been using this brand of TDK discs with great success on my Saturn and PS1. I think I've only had a few failed burns.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Checked the last few pages and didn't see this.

Policenauts patch for Saturn had been released.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2744/

I was fumbling about on page 98 and 99 trying to get it working.

Haven't had much time to actually play it much past the beginning, but I definitely want to get around to.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah Monitor Burn does a great service. Next week when I get paid I will have to do the N64 and NES mods. How big of a jump is component from composite on the NES and N64. Genesis looks amazing in component, but SNES it hard to see too much of a jump, even through it does look a lot nicer.

Component from the NES? Are you looking for some kind of RGB-Component scaler? Sorry, I'm not too well versed on the connection options available for US folks - I guess that's one thing us europeans got the upper hand with consumer TV's having RGB scart connections basically by default. (don't feel too bad, we give the advantage back with the whole 50hz thing.)

But like I said earlier RGB from the NES looks amazing. I had mine from Monitor Burn as well, or actually the AV Famicom. That thing just rocks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So for the folks with RGB SCART hook ups, are you using a special TV that actually has those inputs? Or are you using a converter of sorts with it? Being from the US, I have literally never seen a TV with SCART, and it appears from what I'm reading to be mostly popular in the EU?

Like I wrote earlier, Europe got a major advantage in this since our consumer TV's usually had at least one RGB scart input. Despite this many consoles came packaged with composite cables anyway. But there was always the option to use RGB scart right from the start. Many of them even supported a NTSC (60hz) signal which meant you could hook up your imported consoles without problems. Unfortunately some models only supported 50hz which meant you would get a black & white picture or no picture at all using RGB. (I once had a 20' Sony Trinitron like that.) Nowadays I use a PVM monitor though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What's the ratio of good games on the PC Engine for the CD vs. the hu-card? Mainly thinking should I fork out the cash for the Duo-R or settle for the white CoreGrafx. (I will probably take the everdrive/CD-R route anyway.)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

There isn't a white CoreGrafx, though? Unless you're thinking of the original PC Engine, which is RF-only by default. I'm kinda-sorta open to selling my RGB-modded CoreGrafx, as a heads up...

I would say that the ratio depends on your level of Japanese proficiency, since a lot of the CD games are RPGs and the like with text-heavy elements. What might be a good game in its own right is going to be pointless to play if you don't really understand it. I'd suggest browsing through a site like The PC Engine Bible and seeing what CD games, if any, stand out to you as being playable and potentially desirable.

Oh yeah, got the names mixed up. Either the Core grafx, the original PC Engine or Duo-R RGB modded, those are my choices, just gotta decide on whether I want to pay extra for the CD option.

Japanese proficiency is more or less poor, apart from phrases and words learnt from songs, movies and Game Center CX.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Is there any relatively reasonable way to play Famicom games on a front-loading NES? I have an adapter thing that works, but because it's so short it's a gigantic pain in the rear end getting the cartridge into and out of the NES. There's no real pressing need or desire for me to be honest other than to be able to say I can play Japanese cartridges on all my retro systems.

If you have an extra dollar/euro or two, get an AV Famicom. You can also use an adapter for US games much easier since it's a top loader. Using a converter on a front loading system is a real PITA no matter how you look at it.

And then you'll naturally want it RGB modded as well. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

• Locked thread