Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I played a bit of it and it's pretty good.

I dunno if this helps but IME most people that have trouble wall jumping Super Metroid are doing one or both of two things: "sliding" their thumbs across the D-pad and trying to press jump simultaneously.

Let go of the D-pad and press the opposite direction, then hit the jump button immediately after that. It's way more reliable.

Edit: Sliding the D-pad screws it up because you're likely to hit up or down accidentally, which interrupts the somersault. Hitting jump second works because I think Samus is programmed to wall jump only if she's moving away from the wall, or something like that.

This tip definitely helped me. I brought it up because I hit a location with a similar long vertical corridor from original SM where the animal teaches you how to wall jump (although there are alcoves on the left side in case you can't). I kinda try to do it now as a 1-2 motion - first press direction and jump immediately after. I was almost able to clear the corridor this way. just made it to the top. Never made it in the original either.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've tried both Verbatim and Maxell discs and they suck. I used TDK with good success earlier and nowadays I use Taiyo Yuden which are excellent quality.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have the X7 and it's been great. I like that Krikzz lists one of the features on his site the same way I would've:

quote:

In-game menu that allows access back to menu system without leaving the sofa.

Perfect for lazy people.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Obligatory mention for Turtles in Time

And a :yeah: for Metal warriors. But yes you probably will need to use a flashcart for that one. If you can, the versus mode is great fun especially with random mechs- option.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

Important questions for those who have or grew up with the NES in PAL territories:

Does Super Mario Bros actually sound like this on a PAL system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dt-yiZ_QYg

It's been a while since I played SMB on a PAL NES, but this does sound/look a bit too fast from what I remember, kinda like it was a PAL game running on NTSC hardware.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

^^ That is why I always recommend the best-in-slot options for flashcarts, because who the hell knows what updates might come later.

Gonna try later today.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The VRC7 music and the sound chip work perfectly for Lagrange Point but the game itself is just ... a boring slog. The story isn't very interesting, but what kills it is the INSANE encounter rate. I tried a few hours, but it got really tiring really fast even though you can "auto" random encounters.

It's funny though, I have virtually no knowledge of the Master System. I never knew anyone who had one growing up, and as an adult I've viewed the games as ... Megadrive but worse? I'll try at least the games that have FM support and see what it's about.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Overdrive also works only on the X7, I believe.

Some good Hu-Card games to try:

Air Zonk
Coryoon - Child of dragon
Cross Wiper
Dragon Spirit/Saber
Gekisha Boy
Honey on the road
Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu
Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 1 and 2
Legendary Axe 1 and 2
Ninja Spirit
Somer Assault

and plenty more.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

You'd think all they'd need to do for a negative review is say, "Somebody remade Night Trap!"

Would this be a good time to bring up ethics in gaming journalism?

... no?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The remake just looks so unappealing to me. Give me 2D sprite graphics anyday over "modern" anime-style 3D.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

flyboi posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Twitch is doing a starcade marathon this week for the next 6 days

I didn't even know this show was a thing but now I'm glad I have this in my life.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Magic Knight Rayearth

is a fun game, but the english voice acting is just awful (I may be repeating myself here) but with japanese voices and english text it's quite good.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I usually tell people that PVM is better than a CRT, although mostly for "serious" hobbyists. And that they'll most likely be very happy with a CRT at least compared to their console hooked up to an LCD TV. I paid 90 € for my 20M4E, and the supply is very low here in Scandinavia, I was happy with that.

Also, a 20 inch CRT/PVM is not big enough for couch-gaming? I sit maybe 1,5-2m away and it's perfectly fine. 14 incher is desk size.

I have been entertaining the thought about an OSSC, but that would mean gaming on my 40 inch HDTV and I'm not sure if I want the games to look that big. Suppose if/when my PVM croaks, it's the sensible option, especially if it's gonna be a few years from now and maybe the OSSC (or a similar upscaling system?) has managed to iron out the little flaws.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Just get the highest output quality cable for your console and hook it up to that and you will be happy. Yes, you will have that itch for the RGB PVM, but if you really saw them side by side, you would realize your cheap/free tv and not having to mod your consoles (except the s-video on a SNES mini) is a much better value if you aren't a graphics snob. The picture is definitely better on a PVM, I am just saying for most people, dropping <$40 on a TV and $10/ea on cables is a much better value than $300 on a PVM, $30/ea on SCART and BNC cables, and sometimes $100+ on each console mod. That $100 vs $500+ is more than good enough for most.

I'm all for a sensible buyers' guide, but something like the NES RGB update compared to composite is a life-changing experience, it's not snobbery at all. Any other jump from composite to RGB won't feel as big. (although moving from the fuzzy PAL SNES to a 1chip SNES mini does come close)

But yes I kinda agree that a nice CRT will be good enough and you don't really need to shell up hundreds for a PVM. I'll probably be unable to get a replacement should my 20M4E break, and I'll be looking a an upscaler option at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

worthless. posted:

So it's that time of year where I consider selling most of my games for my backup modded systems or systems I have everdrives for. People who have done this, how did it go?

I sold my collection a little over than a year ago and did this. I have had no regrets. I've had the chance to play some games I never would've had otherwise, I still get to play with original hardware (I'm kind of an RGB nerd) and I've never been much of a collector anyway.

• Locked thread