Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

I tried the new Vita homebrew exploit and it's super easy. Tried a SNES emulator and a GBA emulator. The GBA emulator is really rough. Sound is bad and the game I tested (Max Payne) was really slow. Tried the SNES emulator and played Super Metroid and Super Mario World and it worked great. It's a lot better than the PSP based emulation of the SNES which relied on the Media Engine which is available in a real PSP but not in the emulated PSP layer on the Vita (so the existing PSP SNES emulators on vita run like poo poo).

The screen on the Vita is so much nicer than the PSP. Glad I have a new handheld emulation machine, and things like GBA emulators are only going to get better. I'd love to see what this thing can do with DS games in time.

I've been saying I wanted to see SNES games on the Vita's OLED screen for years. I can't wait to try this tonight.

Is the general consensus that it's a good idea to update the Vita to the newest firmware, and then perform this trick? Is there going to be some discovery that older firmwares are "better" for doing things like unlocking the full CPU kind of like the new3DS hacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone get the Super Famicom new3ds LL? I watched two unboxing videos and I still cannot tell if it's gross disgusting slippery glossy or beautiful comfortable wonderful matte.

Also I would love to see what the menu theme it comes with looks like but no one bothered showing it yet.

al-azad posted:

As far as I know this hack only works on 3.60 which is the current version so update now before Sony pumps out another firmware.

Although they probably won't, they're seriously done with Vita. 3.6 came out four months ago.

Cool, thanks. I am on 1.6 firmware (really) and I am paranoid to update it in case this new hack isn't the end-all-be-all.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 2, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I ordered one but it only just shipped so I don't have it in-hand.

Anyway isn't it super-sold out everywhere?

I think Play-Asia will have them for sale tomorrow morning. Though I am willing to play inflated prices if the drat thing is matte. :argh:

I know it's region locked and the language can't even be changed but I am like 85% sure that the system can be hacked to get around all of that, though who knows what firmware it ships with.

Also report back as to whether or not it's a TN or IPS panel! :toot:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

slippery glossy 3DS? what kind of slimy hands do you have? :psyduck:

I'm exaggerating a bit but it always feels weird to me. I find myself playing the smaller new 3ds just because it's matte (depending on the cover plates you choose). Also I am Italian so yes I am greasy by nature.

I hated when laptops started coming in glossy like 10 years ago because they look like complete crap after a few months, so my problem is nothing new. :v:

univbee posted:

The region locking you can sort-of circumvent with flash carts if the firmware matches but pretty sure the language is locked down, and don't expect to be able to run non-Japanese download-only games like the newer Ace Attorney games (although the Japanese trilogy of the first three games does include English as an option).

For some reason I thought you could put whatever emuNAND you wanted on there.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 2, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have 2 random questions

1) Just before the old thread was closed, someone had mentioned they were impressed with the SNES Shadowrun's ability to use Japanese lettering. I understand this typically needs a higher resolution, which is really rare in SNES games. I played the Japanese Shadowrun and it did not appear to be running in a higher resolution (I can usually tell because the Framemeister wigs out for a bit as it changes resolution). So how is it doing it? Sort of related but what is the technical reason that the Japanese Shadowrun has such an incredible looking title screen compared to the US version? It's the oddest looking thing. It appears like it's high resolution (or something I can't quite put my finger on) but the Framemeister isn't acting like it's a high res screen. :confused: You really have to see it on an actual TV screen to see what I am talking about as screen shots online do not do it justice.

2) What was the realtime clock used for in Daikaijuu Monogatari II? Somehow nobody on the internet thought to ask this question, and I couldn't even find anything describing what a real-time clock even did in the game.

Is it basically some sort of chip that keeps a clock running even when the game is off? Does it just use the battery meant for saving 24/7, depleting it faster than other games' batteries die?

Is the game any good?

3) Holy poo poo a 64GB Vita memory card is $110 :stonklol:

I also wanted to say great job on the OP! The only thing I would add is to stress in the OP that the SD2SNES supports CD audio and FMVs. "A Link to the Past DX" alone makes it worth the extra money, never mind the future capabilities of it.

wa27 posted:

Yeah I was just wondering how I could get to it while it was on, considering the battery contacts are in the back casing. I guess that's why people drill holes.

No hole drilling needed. There is already a hole there; just poke a tiny screwdriver through the back label. I guess Nintendo wanted to be able to adjust the pot with the screen on as well. I remember this because back in 2001 everyone on the internet thought they discovered a hidden secret to making the screen brighter.

Fun fact: the scanline issue you are talking about is actually called "multiplexing". Have fun because now you are going to notice it on lots of different devices now, especially handhelds! I see them on the GBC, GBA, GBA Micro, DSi, and new3DS XLs with the IPS screens. Interestingly they are not there on the DS, GBA SP with backlit screens, original 3DS, new3DS (small), or the new3ds XL with TN panels. The DSi XL is probably the worst offender; luckily the system has a pot but I adjust it and it just goes back after a few weeks. The GBA Micro's pot stares right at you when you take off the cover plate. Luckily when adjusted it looks perfect and never "moves" like the DSi XL does.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking of fun ways to break old games. Walk through walls codes for rpgs are always great for this. But I was just thinking. Are there any Game Genie or Code Shark codes for Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or even Earthbound where you can move your character no matter what? Meaning, even during "cut scenes"?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap, I had no idea there was a second way to skip to the World of Ruin. This is crazy!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had a 40" Sony Wega and if I were in a room that was on fire and that thing was blocking my exit I'd just accept my fate.

I moved it into my house ( this was 2005 or so) with a friend who is jacked beyond belief. I'm of normal strength I'd say. Anyway the drat thing almost killed both of us. It's not just the fact that it's 300+ pounds. It's that it's distributed in such a way that makes it awkward while also being ridiculously heavy. Our fingers were completely purple when we were done.

And guess what? It sucked for retro games. Everything had a weird effect where it looked like you were streaming footage from a Youtube video. You didn't notice it on high Def stuff but anything below 480p looked like this. I remember having Seinfeld playing on regular cable TV and my friend asked what program I used to download the episode. I had to tell him the TV made everything look like a drat Internet video for some reason. No I didn't have any weird settings on the TV that were doing that.

Even if it's a crt, do not get any TV that is meant for high definition resolutions. The best tvs besides I'm guessing the pvms are any size SD Sony or Panasonic televisions with component and s video inputs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, my Panasonic Deskbuster 5000 (may or may not be the official name of this model) is one of the later SD-only ones from around 2004, it doesn't do component but S-video and RGB look absolutely fantastic and even composite isn't too bad.

It's got a good comb filter.

Component definitely isn't needed. I only specified it because it means the TV is newer.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

And the guy responded and said it was listed wrong and should have been $100... great.

Should I go for it still? Like I said most PVM's I have seen in the last year or so on CL go for well over $200, even the smaller screens, because people know retro gamers are seeking them out.

The spiteful man in me wants me to tell him thanks but no thanks because he doubled the price but if it's still hundreds cheaper than usual I'd say go for it. Just google his cell number or something to make sure he's not a psycho.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oops I accidentally typed 50 instead of 100 multiple times, through multiple prompts, and then didn't edit it for however long, and now I want 2x the cost once I realized the value

I'd tell him to get hosed

Yeah he's probably telling other people he meant $150, doing some bizarre ebay type selling.

I'd be annoyed but I know how it feels to finally come across something you've been looking for for ages. Ask me about my 3 brand new 25" arcade CRTs that I'm hoarding (actually don't).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I

As for golf games the GBA Mario Golf will always be my favorite and I wish Sports RPGs were more of a thing.

Try Mario Party Advance. Trust me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DrankSinatra posted:

My local arcade just got a pristine Asteroids cabinet. I never realized how beautiful a working vector monitor is. The shots are so bright - it looks incredibly clool.

Yeah I saw a vector arcade game for the first time a few weeks ago and I could not believe how gorgeous it looked.

I also saw one of these and did a double take

How did I not know this existed until seeing it in person? I sent a pic to a friend and he replied "what the hell is that? That's like if you showed me a Chrono Trigger arcade machine. How is that an arcade game?"

It was kinda fun I guess. I wonder if it's running the same hardware as the Mario Kart and F Zero machines.

Ineffiable posted:

You all need to buy 8bitdo controllers. Only issues I have with them is that every time you power off your source, you have to resync your controller. They're an impressive build quality.

Yeah I am incredibly anal about that stuff and the 8bitdo SNES controller is perfection. I can't believe bluetooth dongles came out for the actual SNES. I have one on the way to my home. I might do some sort of mod to my SNES so the receiver constantly gets power.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I bought the Super Famicom new 3ds two days ago from play Asia for $250. I refreshed the page this morning and it went up to $280. Then I refreshed it ten minutes ago and it's now at $310. I had no idea play Asia did that but I'm glad I clicked the purchase button when I did.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Don't know how this flew under everyone's radar but the Final Fantasy VI CD audio MSU-1 hack has come out.

It is in beta but I am going to try it on my SD2SNES and report back!

Also the installer for it is incredible. All you need to do is point to the ROM and the installer downloads the patch, patches it, and even gives you five options for which soundtrack you want to use for the game (I went with "developer's recommendation" though the few remixes I have been able to find by FinalFanTim have been incredible).

I have no idea why that thread only has 4 pages. It should be a thousand pages with everyone of them thanking him profusely for working on this.

d0s posted:

I don't think so, not really sure

e:

I met a lot of cool people there when I was active but on the whole yeah it's a place I got sick of real quick. I'm thinking about going back to making an honest to god website where I put all my scans and other crap

What is the link to your tumblr? I am not really familiar with the site but I checked it out and there's tons of rare stuff (even music stuff I am into) so I would like to check it out.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monitor Burn posted:

Did you run the SD2SNES .ips patch fix before running the Dancing Mad installer, or is that part of the automatic install? The installer crashes the instant I select an .ips-patched rom, but runs fine on an unmodified rom.

I only used an unmodified rom. It doesn't even work with 1.1 version of the rom so definitely no patches.

I have to say though the "developer's options" for the music selection is pretty bad. I recommend going with anything else actually.

We should report bugs to his thread. I'm noticing a lot already.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to say that anyone with an SNES has to buy the SNES30 and the newly released Bluetooth receiver for it. I updated the firmware to both of them and they work perfectly. It is so, so liberating and cool to be able to play a real SNES with a controller as good as the original but without wires. In game reset with the sd2snes is the ultimate in hedonism.

I tried a ton of different games and all worked perfectly. Absolutely zero lag and recall that I'm the guy constantly bitching that there's too much lag when using wireless controllers on Android.

Also kind of funny is I assumed because the receiver had a micro USB port that it had to be charged. No, it is just in case you want to use it as a receiver on the PC. It actually gets the proper voltage from the SNES, which I was surprised it could do.

So far the receiver is only available on 8bitdo's ebay page. I received it in less than a week.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

8bitdo controllers are loving fantastic, seconded.

I really need one of the classic NES ones.

The only thing holding me back from the NES30 is the four face buttons :spergin:

As it is I'm trying to figure out a way to get the Super Nintendo logo on the controller!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

I'm interested in this.
How are you resetting the sd2snes from the pad exactly? I have the 8bitdo pad but haven't shelled for the wireless yet.

Press L, R, select and X at the same time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I got to have a nice long conversation with the owner of the SNES CD. This is the dad, not the son. Anyway, really nice guy. He is fully aware of Secret of Mana CD and its history and he is very determined to get a copy somehow. I thought it was really cool that he was so into the history and possibilities. He's actually a huge video game fan but simply didn't know what he had at the time.

As far as he knows, the remaining 199 were destroyed as no one else has come forward with one. Also the replacement laser cost like $400 and he should have it installed soon. Also of interest is that he is not a rich man but has absolutely no interest in selling it.

I was more excited meeting an inanimate object than I was the time I met Method Man.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

XYZ posted:

The fact that the Play Station was almost a thing makes me wonder what the video game landscape would look like today if it had been released.

Well it was supposed to come out in like 92 right? Maybe Sony would have still released a console. It would have just had a different name was all. Unless their agreement would prevent that? Honestly I'd really like to see the actual add on. Especially the US version. I'm sure it doesn't exist though. It would have probably just looked like that bicycle attachment add on with a CD tray.

I'm not surprised Nintendo backed out because supposedly Sony would own all the rights to software released on it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Still the SNES is the greatest console ever in my opinion. And I would have loved to see how some games would have turned out for it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Wouldn't the obvious result be Hotel Mario for the SNES CD?

Nope. Nintendo had a contract with Philips. To weasel out of it, they let them make a Mario and three Zelda games for the CDi. That's the only reason those garbage games exist.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

That's really the thing's greatest sin (Turok fog aside). Unless it was very deliberately designed around, like with Mario64's colorful aesthetic, the N64 catalogue looked like someone had gone over everything with a smudge tool.

The PSx makes everything look like it's hewn from ultrajagged stone that had about 10 sharpen masks applied to it, though.

Reminder that someone discovered an Action Replay code for the N64 recently that gets rid of the blur garbage.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I love when I randomly come across the Super Nintendo being mentioned in mainstream popular culture: http://teamcoco.com/video/celebrity-nudes-hacker-gets-hacked

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

_____! posted:

drat it Conan you're better than this, that is clearly a PS2 controller for the auto-erotic asphyxiation nor is the SNES yellow enough to be legit!:q:

Also the power button is on

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh. I got to see what a Sega Saturn looks like on a PVM and now I'm seriously considering one even though I have a Framemeister :emo:

Seriously it looked like what I'd imagine a Sega Saturn emulator would look like with a good graphics card. How does it do such magic?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Received mine today, Firmware 11.0 out-of-the-box. How do I check the panel shenanigans again?

I apologize how far back this reply is from. I am off the internet for 2 days and 7 pages of posts goes by.

You check it by turning it at a severe angle and seeing if the colors change the same way on the top screen as they do on the bottom. If you see drastic color changes on the top (you WILL see them on the bottom) then you have a TN panel.

For what it's worth, the two SFC n3ds consoles I ordered both had TN panels :(

I am thinking Nintendo only used IPS back when the n3ds XL first came out because if you remember, there was a shortage of them and they were probably sourcing screens from anywhere possible.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I remember watching some forensic show a few years back about where some dude cut up a 5 1/4" with a pair of scissors to avoid being caught with whatever evidence. They tried recovering the data using various methods but were unsuccessful. Some tech eventually thought what the hell, scotch taped the pieces back together, put it back into the disk housing, and most of the data showed up! Cool as poo poo how durable those suckers are.

It was "Forensic Files" in the episode called "Shear Luck".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JT0xhK5Cjo

I remember my wife and I laughing our assess off that the police actually handed him the disk. "Oh here's the evidence to put this man away for life, and he would like to see it for a brief moment? Sure why not"

Anyway, enjoy the episode. It's one of my favorites.

Nail Rat posted:

The oldest post I could find on rec.games.video.nintendo...from 4/20/1993.

Kids born 3 years after this post was made can now drink legally.

I was able to find video game posts on usenet from 1989. One guy describing Mario 3 (some Japanese preview version) was magical. Sadly, Google for some godforsaken reason completely got rid of the ability to search their archives. It used to work back in 2013 or so. I made a bunch of posts in the old thread directly linking to them but good luck sorting through my 80,000 posts in that thread.

I loved Gamefan but after they gave Earthbound a terrible review I cancelled my subscription like a whiny 13 year old (which I was).

Edit: oops, looks like I messed up and I was confusing them with Game Player's:

You're part of the reason this game failed, Lundrigan. Blood is on your hands!!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 18, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK so I need everyone's advice on this. It's a bit convoluted so bear with me.

I am about to start doing the plexiglass cutting for my MAME cabinet (the machine was already gutted. Do not worry. I did not destroy an existing game)

So anyway, I need opinions on how to "angle" the 3rd and 4th player joysticks. Now when I say angle, I mean angle in the sense of will they "line up" with their respective buttons. Due to the layout of the room my cabinet is going in, the 3rd and 4th players absolutely must be on an angle. What I need to figure out is if I am supposed to compensate the directionals. Here is my control panel:

(ignore the fact that players 3 and 4 have 6 buttons. I realized it was overkill and I am filling them in.)

So I have read that a lot of people say you absolutely do NOT "angle" the directionals. Meaning they will be the same as the middle 2 joysticks even though those are not angled. Here is a diagram:

So apparently, the example in red is wrong.

I can't wrap my head around it. To me, player 4 (red aka wrong) looks correct. To make matters worse, when I relentlessly search message boards for what people did, it's almost a 50/50 split of people having a preference, absolutely hating whichever the other option is. There is no middle ground. I don't want to waste money on plexiglass and artwork and new wood only to hate whichever option I chose. I am also asking opinions here because I will have friends over to play, so it doesn't matter just what I want.

The reason I like the way player 4 (red aka wrong) looks is simple. I am standing directly in front of it. Pressing right will make me go right. Whenever I played a console game on the TV, if I wasn't directly in front of it, that did not make a difference. The directional pad on my NES did not magically adjust. But for some reason, people big into arcade games say you cannot compare the two. I am not sure why.

However, they must be onto something because check out The Simpsons control panel:

It seems as though they agree with that graphic. I guess the thought is that the directionals should match the screen. So if I am pressing "up" I am really pressing "left" because that's what will make me go "up" on the screen.

But I never played the 6-player XMen game. I tried watching Youtube videos but none answered my question. Here is a picture of the control panel:

Does that mean whoever used the leftmost and rightmost joysticks were pressing right or left to go up and down? If that's the case, I guess I could understand it because it's at a way more extreme angle than what I am looking to do.

Anyway I positioned my Super Advantage SNES arcade stick on an angle to see which one I would like best but I don't think it's really a good indication. I am asking what the goons here would have as a preference, especially so if you've ever experienced one or the other.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I have played 6-way XMEN! Its pretty wild.

Yeah, the people standing on the far left, like, everybody uses up down left right as is relative to their facing, it feels pretty natural.

If you're on the far left, your "left" would be somebody else's "up" direction, but to you that'd feel right. The TV screen is kinda sideways but its not a big deal.

Imagine you're sitting in your living room holding a game controller just facing the screen sideways. You still hold the controller the same way as normal.

OK I apologize but I am confused. I agree with your last sentence. But it seems as though you said the far left player would be using the directional relative to their facing. So if they wanted their character to go right on the screen, they would be pointing the joystick towards the right side of their body, or up/away from their body?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

The orientation is the same on all joysticks on x-men. Honestly if space is a premium why even bother with 3rd & 4th players. It makes the control panels look wonky as hell and you'll use it maybe twice ever.

There will be plenty of 4 player TMNT and Simpsons honestly. I don't want people to have to stand around and watch. And I would argue that it does not make the control panel look wonky because almost every 4 player game other than NBA Jam did it like that. Those machines never looked wonky to me.

Random Stranger posted:

The old joke is that the first newsgroup was alt.talk. The second was rec.arts.sf.tv.startrek.

I just played on the outer sticks on a six player X-Men cabinet about two weeks ago and I can tell you they were orientated for the player rather than the screen.

Really? So if you moved the joystick towards the left side of your body, the character on the screen went left, and not up?

If so, other forums I am reading have been lying for some reason.

Did you find it confusing or jarring at all?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Right side of body. Its all the obvious and intuitive way.

Yep, that's how it worked for me. Like you're holding an NES controller and facing sideways, you push left relative to you, character on screen moves left.

Ok thank you. That's what I assumed. I have no idea why these other forums argue about it nonstop. You can see this thread here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134020.0

People saying you're literally Hitler if you angle the directional to match the buttons. I just do not want to regret picking the wrong method.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

Could you rig up some mechanism to allow you to rotate it and lock it into place? Then each player could decide.

I actually thought of that! What I would google to find such a thing I have no idea.

If it isn't something that exists, some entrepreneur would make a killing considering how many people like to argue about it. And then every setup would be compatible with Smash TV, too!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

Returning the cheap chinese SNES flashcart I got from Amazon (it kept eating my SD cards so I can still return it as defective), but is it worth paying more for the SNES2SNES or just get a Everdrive?

To me, playing Zelda: A Link to the Past DX with the MSU1 FMV and CD audio mod has been worth it for the price difference in the SD2SNES alone. While the Everdrive is great, the SD2SNES will actually breath new life into your SNES.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not deep into arcade sticks and therefore not sure I'm getting this right, but it looks like there are sticks on the market that do this out of the box.

Ultimarc E-Stik, the first one I found through some cursory googling.

Woah, thank you so much. There appears to be something called the Mag-Stik Plus that does it as well. Now to figure out which one is the better to go with.

Random Stranger posted:

While we're on this topic, my pet peeve is replacing four way arcade sticks with eight way sticks. My local arcade's Dig Dug has this and I get killed by it all the time.

Interestingly enough, the Mag-Stik Plus lets you switch between 4 way and 8 way!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Minidust posted:

'Sup, L.I. Retro buddy! :cheers:

My parents live there. I did a bunch of years ago. I always make it a point to visit them when things like that are going on. They have a grandchild now so I am in the area all the time.

d0s posted:

It's an interesting gimmick but these sticks look pretty bad for actually playing games with, if that matters. I would only use them on the side sticks and go with sanwa or seimitsu for the main player sticks, or leave those off entirely

e: the "magnet centering" of the mag-stick also has me weary, it's really hard to replicate the action of a spring like that

Ah thank you for letting me know. Any idea if the Mag-Stik Plus is any better?

Rirse posted:

Yeah just going to buy the Everdrive. While it a shame I can't play Mega Man X2 or Star Fox on the flashcart, I am fine with not paying 100 dollars more for this minor difference. Especially when I have Mega Man X2, X3, and Mario RPG over on the WiiU.

You will see the MSU1 version of A Link to the Past running on an SD2SNES and you will forever regret not getting it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I won't bother with the Mag-Stik Plus. The rotation thing sounds awesome but a lot of people seem to complain about it not feeling the same or something. Plus they are almost $40 per stick and I already have 4 Happs I got for $8 each. I guess it's not a big deal as there's only about 20 or so games that really benefit from a 4-way joystick. I actually want it more for the rotation capability.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Repro chat is funny because I was talking to this guy selling repro carts and he was saying all his repros are made by a guy from "scratch", as in no carts were gutted. I never heard of that before but I guess with Chinese factories making fake Chrono Trigger carts, anything is possible. Anyway I asked him if he had Starfox 2 (the only repro I am interested in) and he said his guy is unable to figure out how to create Super FX games. I told him "just use Stunt Race FX" and you would have thought I insulted his family. He went off on this long rant about how when his son grows up there's going to be no Stunt Race FX carts left and it's disgusting to suggest doing such a thing, as if I told him to gut Earthbound or something. I did a moonwalk right out of there. It's Stunt Race FX. The game sucks and will never be rare and your kid will hate you if you make him or her play it.

Caitlin posted:

A. 6 buttons was better than 4 players if you like fighting games, but as you will I guess. Don't fill them in IMO; just cap them.
B. What kind of monster are you that you just made them two straight rows? How do y'all even stand playing like that for extended periods of time? Angled buttons are so much more comfortable. :sigh:

A. Ah sorry, I think I might have typed that wrong. I am not filling in all player's 5th and 6th buttons; just the angled player's will lose those 2 since there are no 4 player games that use all 6 buttons. The middle two players will have all 6 buttons.

B. I admit I am a monster but I am basing the button layouts of Street Fighter 2 and Killer Instinct, the two favorites among my friends and I. I am aware it won't be ideal for SNK games but to be totally honest, I never got into those fighters growing up. And I very well might now that I have an upright machine, but I will be starting off already knowing those games with the Street Fighter 2 layouts.

Hilariously enough, my brain is programmed as those buttons being labeled 1-6, I think because of a Killer Instinct guide I obsessively read in 1995 that used that numbering scheme instead of QP, HK, etc. 21 years later and I still remember every combo in Killer Instinct. But if I play it on the SNES, I cannot use the normal SNES controller because I can't translate the buttons to 1-6 because the shoulder buttons throw me off and I suck at it. :saddowns:

Allen Wren posted:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it has anything to do with the buttons themselves or even where the screen is, but more about where you expect these people to stand. If they're a group of nine-year-olds who can all stand directly in front of the cabinet shoulder-to-shoulder, then yeah, the sticks should all face the same direction. If they're supposed to stand to the sides, then they should have their controls angled towards them.

Yeah my idea for the 3rd and 4th players is definitely for them to be angled off to the side. If I had all 4 players straight across, the control panel would have been ridiculously wide, to the point where it would look bizarre. I wanted a decent middle-ground of not looking like a franken-panel but also being able to play a majority of games (obviously racing games will not be possible).

Jadius posted:

Hey Hamburglar, maybe this is a really stupid suggestion and you will tell me so, but rather than having a dedicated four player CP where everything is cramped why not have a really good two player panel and build two separate control panel boxes for player 1 & 4 connected by some sort of a quick disconnect wiring harness that you can plug in and unplug as needed when you need four player support? Maybe even build legs for the control panels so that they stand upright, or find a way to hook the extra two panels on to the cabinet when needed, sort of like a food tray hooks on to a car window at a drive up restaurant? Like I said, probably a stupid suggestion but don't kill the messenger for coming up with stupid alternatives.

I appreciate any input! That really isn't a bad idea at all. But the way I see it is if having 4 people playing at once really will be that rare, having 2 people angled is an OK compromise. I get very anal with everything feeling "legit" (or I would have not spent $100 to get a graphics card that can do 15hz) so I would feel like I am half-assing it if I do that, kind of. I know it's a ridiculous way to think but it's just the way my brain is; like if I do that then "I might as well just plop an X-Arcade in front of my plasma". I am kind of all or nothing and it is very lame. Hell I even refuse to have a "credit" button; I am making it so you absolutely have to use quarters even though they will just come right back out after inserting it.

Also I bought 4 different sets of colored concave pushbuttons. Player 1 is red, player 2 is blue, player 3 is yellow, and player 4 is green. The pushbuttons will light up depending on what game you are playing, so Donkey Kong will only have 1 button lit up, but Street Fighter 2 will have all lit up. It's great because it solves the issue of "what buttons do I use for this game". I don't care about it looking cool; I actually kind of hate the aesthetic of LEDs everywhere. I am not putting LEDs on the joystick or spinner or trackball or any of that stuff. Oh and another reason I can't go back now is I have a 4 player coin door for it!

If it truly is wretched for players 3 and 4 to be off to the side I'll definitely consider it but the thought of re-doing the word work on this control panel is giving me agita.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone have the gba krikzz flash cart yet? Can you let me know what model of sd card you have working for it? Mine should arrive next week but I'm worried that mine might not work with the sd card I prepped for it already.

So I need to know what model 16 gigabyte ones you guys have that works for sure so I can favorite it in case I need to get it.

xamphear says this one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to see the SNES port of Killer Instinct 2 that was supposedly finished.

And that Super Mario Bros 1 prototype TheRedEye almost got recently. I wonder what the minus world glitch would have done in that version. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The graphics in that game look way better than I remember. Unless the N64 port was just terrible and I never really played the arcade much.

• Locked thread