Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Wasn't it not "discovered", but the programmer going "well I'd better tell them or they'll never find it on their own"?

That was Shadowrun.

Here is where the Sim City God mode code was discovered: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/General/BFG/Crazy-Glitched-Sim-City-Cart/first

It's a very entertaining read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ptarmigans posted:

The Cutting Room Floor has the details. It involves checking your match box a number of times while standing next to a specific flickering lamp post.

I'm not sure why they make it sound like it rarely works. I've gotten it to work on a real cart every time I tried it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo this orchestrated snes Sim City song is amazing

https://youtu.be/akL7ugUgRhg

Wish whoever did that did it with all the tracks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

UnhandledException posted:

Beautiful. That is just asking for an MSU-1 audio hack (and mouse support).

Oh God yes

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheMcD posted:

That's from the second Orchestral Game Music Concert, a series of game music concerts by different Japanese orchestras that were held in the 90s.

They only did one more SimCity track, this one. drat shame there weren't more, that soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Have a piano medley, too.

This is awesome. Thanks for posting it. The village theme is one of my favorites in gaming history

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've read somewhere that the n64 and GameCube ports are identical internally so I believe there's a lot of N64 GameCube adapters that work.

There's code in the GameCube OS that suggested n64 controllers would work if I recall correctly

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Next Gen N64 Controller guys also made a next gen NES controller

The b and a buttons like that are a disaster. Didn't they know everyone hated to dogbone controllers just for that reason?

What the hell are the 3d sticks for?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Everyone hated the dog bone controllers because the buttons were angled in the other direction. This one is actually good because it lines up with your thumb and like the Y/B and X/A button on the SNES.

Oh yeah I'm an idiot. I thought it was just because they weren't straight.

Man the dog bone controllers suck so bad. It's like trying to play Super Mario Bros on the default settings on the 3DS virtual console.

Why are the drat things $30 on ebay? They suck!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This video released of the beginning parts of the Secret of Mana remake look WAY WAY better than the original trailer shown off a few weeks ago:

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/10-minutes-secret-mana-remake-gameplay

Also the on-screen map is just the SNES graphics :3:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Manky posted:

On the subject, there's also a color patch for the og Metroid II. Haven't tried it yet myself but planning to.

What does this play on. An actual Game Boy Color? :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I was trying to swap an 8 pin bios chip. One of the legs came completely off. It didn't snap, it like, slid out of the drat chip. So there's not even a spec for me to solder on to.

I've been reading that I could lightly Dremel the chip to expose some metal of where the pin went to. However, I thought these things were like micro SD cards in that every spec of it has data on it. I don't want to "scrape off" any data. Is the "data" typically on the top of the chip, or the bottom? Or neither? Basically, does it matter which side I scrape to get to the pin?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Awesome, thanks bud.

I saw the "Universal Game Case" which I was apathetic towards due to no tabs to hold the manual. I'll look into these as well. Most likely he's just marking them up in order to cover for his custom printed art and stuff, which isn't as scummy at least as it can be made out to be.

Ninja E: Wait, what the poo poo?! These have the custom art and everything. Is he seriously just effectively a reseller? Also, this dude needs to work on his web page, it loads like rear end.

It looks like GameCaseKing also does a cool thing where because they are clear cases, he prints "inner" artwork as well, for the inside of the case. It does not look like customgamecases does that, unfortunately.

e: does anybody know what filter Sonic Mania uses for the sharp CRT option? I absolutely hate fake scalines but this is incredible! Why aren't any emulators using this? It makes me think of what it would look like if you played games on one of those gigantic LED billboards. I love it. Why is it unique to this game??

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 17, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I thought you all would love this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/zeldas-most-dedicated-fan-game-developers-built-an-engine-anyone-can-use/

Shadow Hog posted:

According to dark10xl from Digital Foundry, CRT-Sharp is based on a Sony PVM, while CRT Soft is based on a Commodore 1084. Whether they're using stock shaders for the effect or not, however, I wouldn't know.

I just wish other emulators would use whatever the hell he specifically used. It's the only time I ever liked a filter over the pixelated version!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Or a crush on a guy or a girl named Jackie

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

If it makes you feel better it's not a backlit model and they probably sourced them in 2009 when it would have been cheap and easy to get a GBA SP.

Not to be a know it all but I think powdered blue GBA SPs were all backlit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah my mistake. it looked powder blue to me.

I wonder if displays the gameboy startup screen?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fawf posted:

I've got a harddrive full of old game mags and the most I could find was a short blurb from the Nintendo Power from the month that the game came out (November 88 looks like). Here it is anyway for the heck of it

In hindsight it really is ridiculous how they give you three seconds to get one item in one level to get the good ending. I did it once as a kid but I'd never try again.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's definitely in the ToS, considered under "Encouraging Illegal Activity". It's not heavily enforced because it depends on user reports or copyright holders. eBay doesn't have the resources to filter everything that gets posted. Since 2009 since it was considered against the rules at the behest of Nintendo.

I once sold an N3DS and I advertised in the title that it had 9.0 firmware. It wasn't hacked or anything, it merely mentioned the firmware version in the title.

FOUR MONTHS LATER eBay sends me an angry message about copyright and how Nintendo filed a claim against my auction bla bla bla and eBay said "we've removed your auction and refunded your listing and final value fees" on an auction I already got paid for four months earlier.

Thanks for free $22, Nintendo!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Discount Viscount posted:

The SNES Classic has at least one audio issue that I ran into tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2FAD_AA-Q

Holy poo poo that's not even close! It sounds like they used the Genesis ROM by accident! How does not every soundtrack sound completely different?? :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

With pvms being a thing that are extremely annoying and expensive to get ahold of and my pretty good crt tv being a thing that will eventually die, and that thing that makes old consoles work on new tvs being like a zillion dollars and about to not be made anymore...am I just basically doomed in the long run?

CRTs rarely die. And if they do, it's usually capacitors you can replace on the chassis. Please make sure to google how to de-energize a CRT before doing this (you can literally die).

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's how it is in the snes Classic rom dump. You are being triggered by accuracy my friend.

Wait, so if you dump the Street Fighter 2 ROM from the SNES Classic and play it using an SD2SNES or Everdrive, it will actually sound like that on a real SNES?

repiv posted:

CRT shaders really start to shine with a 4K display, and 4K TVs are pretty cheap now. Why settle for CRT sizes that actually existed when you can simulate a giant one? :haw:

I hated filters my whole life but in Sonic Mania there is a filter where it's "CRT, no blur" and it looks absolutely amazing. I am not sure if it only works because the game was programmed for it, but if they ever got that filter working on an SNES emulator I would die a happy man. It looks absolutely awesome.

I would love to see what an SNES game looks like on a 4k OLED TV with the CRT shaders everyone is talking about

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

Not a re-translation per-se, but Secret of Mana: VWF Edition hacks in a variable-width font (so that more text can fit on screen at once) and then edits and adjusts the story text to take advantage of it.

Why didn't the game just use that font in the first place? :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Dos posted:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter looks like FF5's GBA script has been backported to the SNES version.

So why is this literally impossible with FFVI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pegnose Pete posted:

Just ordered an SD2SNES! Goddamn the conversion from USD into Canadian dollarydoos, plus the insanely high sales tax in Ontario killed me. I would have waited for Black Friday but circumstances mean I have to order it now or wait a long time.

I'm gonna be happy with this thing right?

Play the MSU-1 patch of A Link to the Past when you get it and you will never have to ask that question again.

• Locked thread