Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I never had a big problem with the L1 translation job. But I was in, like, middleschool when it came out.

If you sliding into home and your pants are full of foam it's Diarrhea, Diarrheaaa

That Jerk Ghaleon crushed the Sun Tea I had sitting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

But the one thing that sickened me when I learned about it was Nintendo's presence during the 90s hearings on violence in games. Sega was defending video games as a legitimate art form and saying it's up to the parents to vet content for their children then Howard Phillips strolls out and completely throws Sega under the bus while advertising their own products.
That man is like the Newt Gingrich of vidja games.

Like you have an image of the dude being chill. Maybe you're playing Super Mario Land 2 on your GameBoy and he walks by and is all like "Oh hey, stop in this spot and all the Boss' attacks will go right by you!" on his way to gently caress a few Japanese interns, sabotage Sony via industrial espionage, snort coke off of a Game N Watch and answer some fan mail.

Just goes to show you that guys in BowTies are dicks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's the best place to get some UGCs?

I really wanted to get some BitBoxes to make my loose games look like old VHS rentals, but the price is way prohibitive. Might as well standardize my whole lot if I'm going to invest in cases...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RZA Encryption posted:

I got a bunch from Amazon a while ago. I've actually been wanting to get rid of my extras. How many do you need?
Sweet. I think 40 would cover my current collection.

The only places I could find that carried them were odd media storage sites in packs of 100,, and the Amazon resellers were overpriced for a fraction of that.

Like, I could pay $40 for 25 cases, or $70 for 100. I figured I would just tell the wife that I need to buy more games to fill out whatever extras I had :shepspends:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RZA Encryption posted:

I have around 25 extras. They're yours if you pay shipping.
Sounds great!

Send me an email spaz prime @ Gmail . Com to work out the shipping stuff.

Thanks!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

though the primary benefit for people doing voice overs is just going to be a baseline salary. There aren't problems like dangerous set conditions or sixteen hour workdays for them.
No, I'm pretty sure a VA union would have to include some language about vocal abuse or acceptable lengths for non-speech sessions. Wil Wheaton mentioned it was an issue for him to do some anime/vidyagaem work and be expected to spend 2-3 hours on grunts and screams, which basically meant he could not act or go to any other gigs for a day or three to make sure he got appropriate rest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

falz posted:

PS2 is a blurry mess, Dreamcast is crispy.
Ditto. When I was in college my roommate had a DC and I ended up spending a Saturday playing though his collection. Jet Set Radio and Soul Calibur II blew me the gently caress away. They were about on par with PS2 poo poo.

Really regretted missing out on that system.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

the wizards beard posted:

Didn't at least one big magazine do the same in the US? EGM?
GamePro would include a mini-section called LamePro which was supposed to function as a minimagazine. Their "cover story" one year was President Evil, where they put a Lincoln Hat on the first zombie you find in RE (the one you walk up on eating the corpse).

EGM just had cruel as gently caress Tips n Tricks or Quarterman sidebars, like how to fight Shen Long in SF2 Turbo, or how to unlock ERMAC in MK2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hulk ultimate destruction is apparently a really really good open world game I hear. That's why I want it
Have you played Prototype? If so, sub out any virus-tentacle powers with hulky things (like punching a tank and turning it into TankFists) and you have H:UD.

That's not a knock against Hulk, btw. It's an immensely satisfying game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shadow Hog posted:

I've heard the Sega CD version of Eternal Champions is actually somewhat competent, though not being into super gory fighters to begin with, I haven't investigated this to any extent.
The load times, though. Eeeeeugh.

EC was a fun game to play with a friend, but it handles like a less polished SNK fighter.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was looking to get a Classic for a buddy of mine, but looks like Nintendo doesn't want money.

Instead I think I'll grab an Everdrive and a spare NEW and give him that for his birthday. Won't have the cute front end but meh.

Them killing the thing pretty much did in any enthusiasm I will have for any SNES/N64 models.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Caitlin posted:

e : also, the banana-lookin' wand on the shelf between the game boxes is one of the original 90s American wands - the one that is a very pointy crescent is the new one
I never could figure out why the 90s issue wand had a pink crystal with the gilded sides. Thing looked like a Ring pop when ejected.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The old one is pretty enjoyable in teruns, but they've made like 4 spinoffs already. One was a crazy bike racing tournament that used booster cards!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Symphony of the Night? SUPER Metroid?
Zeldavania?

I think the coolest, albeit probably most jarring, aspect of the NEW era was having sequels that were really divergent from that the previous installment offered. Zelda is obvious, but Simon's Quest being an action/adventure with rpgisms, or Super Mario 2's mechanics and settings.

Kind of cool that kids rolled with it. It was just like 'oh yes New Mario is an isometric puzzle ROB of course'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I asked the same a while back. Most of the other samples are really similar, but Guile and the Announcer have a really noticeable shift.

I'm wondering if the samples were too low res for them to be reused. It's actually part of the reason why David Hayter needed to redub a lot of his work when The Twin Snakes was made-- the GC sound hardware brought out a lot of stuff from the old masters that the PS1 glossed over (like traffic noise from outside the studio they recorded in).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

I'm going to say Ocean is a worse publisher. I own several Acclaim published games I like, can't think of a single Ocean game.

Pretty sure they handled the GB Robocop game, which is worth it for the title screen music alone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is there any reason to revisit SMB 1 or 2 now that Galaxy and NSMB are out?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

absolutely anything posted:

Mario World is an expertly crafted game but I have no real passion for it and Mario 3 is better in like every way
SmB3 doesn't save my progress tho.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wizgot posted:

I was wondering, as well, if the same thing happens to games today. Has the quality of videogames really gone up? I'm sure. I still think there are loads of lovely and mediocre games that come out today for modern systems.
Have you seen the Wii library? That's shovelriffic.
There will be lovely games for every generation, but more modern games have the benefit of standardized APIs, game engines, textures, documentation and a shitload more institutional knowledge that takes the burden off a bit.

LOCOCYCLE, for the XBONE, was a terrible, terribly lovely game. But it's heads above the LJN rage-inducing poo poo that was made in the NES heydays.

It's also worth considering that as lovely as some of those NES games were, the Atari library was arguably worse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I knew the arcade and console versions were different, but I had no idea the arcade one was developed by the Golden Tee guys. :pwn:

Hey that kind of makes sense since they were one of the few places with a digitization setup.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zaphod42 posted:

The next closest thing would be one of the budokai DBZ games, but they can't touch Guity Gear Xrd. Pulling that off takes a ton of work, though.
ArcSysWorks is making a DBZ 3v3 fighter using the celshaded tech from GGXrd. It's good but there's still something just a fraction off that does t register as complete faithful to the animation.

But god drat is it a beauty.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mak0rz posted:

Storing your Nintendo games in their boxes was a little impractical. I don't know anyone that ever kept them.
It was slight easier to get your NES games to stay in the boxes. SNES for whatever reason just let itself to have the cardboard collapse in on itself.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So is anyone excited about the SNES Classic and the crappy Star Fox 2 rom that they're including.

I mean, SF2 would have been an FX chip game so maybe there's a way to get other ones to Work?

I'll never get my hands on the thing so...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phantasium posted:

They're rereleasing Super FX chip games, that seems important.
That was one thing that seemed big.

The other was SMRPG and EB in it.

The thing is basically purely distilled RetroGaming, and it'd be enough for most people to dump a sad collection over, but gently caress it availability is going to suck so there's no reason to get excited.

(Until they crack and duplicate the SFX implementation, at least)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EnvyJ posted:

Really hope they do an n64 mini and then it becomes an emulation machine

Only if they allow deblur on the system settings.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Machine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

This is stuck in my head all the time. I don't mind tho, it's a good jam.

The day I out the headphones into the GB and listened to this was the day my life was changed forever. "Holy poo poo, the sound is better from the headphones, but they're so small compared to the GB speaker!!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Only Shallow posted:

LA retro trip report part 2! I hit up a few more places on my last day in the area.
Awesome! Two of those places are from my childhood:

Game Dude was where I bought my copy of Link to the Past, WonderDog (SegaCD game for my sister, originally), and got my Model 2 Genesis. I actually live fairly close to it now, but I remember the pricing being out of whack so I can only imagine what it's like now.

The Family Arcade is owned by the FAC (a decent distributor of arcade games in LA, also the buildin at the corner to the left of TFA). In recent years its turned more towards those dumb catcher and Dave n Buster style games, but back in the day it had an impressive collection of stand ups. I'm talking old classics, DDR, the drat arm wrestling game, Virtual On, and the First Row fighter gallery that featured Big Screen Tv's and bitching speakers. Sucks about your wallet... even in the 90s it was kind if a sketch place due to the surrounding neighborhood.

A few doors down (at what is now a head shop or skate shop) was the College Arcade, which was where all the primo poo poo was. The Real gamers would camp there to do insane poo poo on the fighters, and there was usually a decent number of import games or just esoteric stuff that wouldn't fit at the Family Arcade. Being across from a decently sized community college helped, but the late 2000s saw the College Arcade flounder. The guy who ran it was kind of elderly (always had his two poodles up on the main counter) so I think he just decided to close up shop. It's a shame, because that was easily some of the best match watching I've seen.

Glad you came upon World 8, which is a newer addition to the LA game store community. The folks that run it break street date all the time, and they have a small but not terrible selection of old stuff and collectibles. They also do a little towards fostering community, with tournaments and Friday Night Fights for like $1. I think they just finished a remodel of the flagship store (the one on Vermont by Olympic).

Didn't know about the Burbank places. I'll have to check then out.

If you're ever in the area again, check out two of the Barcades that are decent:
Button Mash (in Silver Lake) has a restaurant attached to the bar so you can actually plop down and eat when you're done playing. It's got a great late 80s/early 90s vibe -- there's poo poo like small boom boxes, Mecco toys and other recognizable childhood cruft on the walls, and the bills all come in bad Young Adult paperback novels. They also curate the collection, so you get the large cabinet XMen game and TMNT arcade alongside SF2T, Paperboy, Tapper, NBA Jam and a few others, with a requisite row of Pinball games off to the side.

EIGHTYTWO, just off of Skid Row and Little Tokyo, is the place to go for expensive cocktails. They have a room just for pinball games / skiball, and their main area usually projects the image from the SSf2 cabinet so you can see some gaming while you wait at the bar. Food is not a thing there, they rely on food trucks and proximity to other restaurants, and the crowd skews a little towards the mid 20s hipster, but it's a decent afternoon regardless. The area is definitely... eclectic... with LA's most impoverished area just 2 blocks away, contrasted by artisanal pie shoppes and a bratwurst shack.

And if you happen to be in Glendale for some reason, the Vintage Arcade Superstore is a blue warehouse that takes in, repairs and sells cabinets. I believe they let you walk around, and might have a showroom area where you can play some of the games. You can also rent it out for birthdays.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 7, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just watched the GameSack review of the PC-FX. Holy poo poo there's so much anime poo poo on there that it's basically the Sega CD's final form.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zaphod42 posted:

Played it a ton on my friend's Dreamcast so it was no biggie, but man was it lame how rare that game was. The gently caress Capcom?
Zand is right. They removed the tag-in mechanic because the PS2 couldn't handle it well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It's a super Bourgie thing to say, but movers are worth it for the whole package, beyond just one heavy rear end TV.
If you've got your organization down semi well (packed everything in corresponding, labelled boxes), movers are totally worth it.

The luxury of having some folks empty our the old place and then drop the boxes into your new place, and in some cases reassemble your furniture and poo poo, is a great use of money at a time when you'll probably be stressed over a dozen other things.

Not having to move a heavy rear end prehistoric TV when you're trying to figure out what's wrong with the furnace or trying to coordinate Water/Power/Cable services is great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

It's in that massive MD collection you can buy on Steam

I think i got Golden Axe on that somehow and is it just me or is the audio just loving terrible? I wouldnt mind grabbing a fee more games on that but if the audio emulation is boned then why bother.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

I was born in '80 so I do remember playing Atari stuff when I was little. It was neat, but they were just severely downgraded arcade games with very little depth and poor controls (those joysticks, ugh). SMB on the NES, however, was a huge leap forward. I couldn't put it into words as a kid, but that was definitely The Thing. And the games just kept getting better over time.
Im born in the early 80s, and Atari was definitely "oh that thing your cousin played PacMan/Pong" to my parents.
I suppose its relation to gaming is like an early kinetoscope or Nickelodeon to A Trip to the Moon. Definitely formative but more of a historical footnote.
All the engineering tricks to get it to work are really fun to read about, though, and it does make me appreciate the limitations more.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Silhouette posted:

"Atari isn't really historically relevant and nobody cares about them"

- half of this thread, 2017

:psypop:
Atari is relevant (both for popularizing home consoles and for destroying the market, briefly), but there are a scant few games for the system worth playing if you didnt grow up with the systems.

As much as people complain about Genesis' farty chainsaw synths, even the worst of those outdo what the Atari subjected people to.

And as someone else noticed, the age range of the forums makes it more likely that kids grew up with the 8-bit era, not the Arcade/Atari era, so the nostalgia effect wont be as pronouced.

Silhouette posted:

It's also the best Bioware game. disagree & ill fite u after school
I'll disagree since the twist is the most cliche bullshit imaginable. And the fighting system isnt that interesting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PAX has poo poo like the fuckoffhuge Steel Battalion control desk. Would probably be easiest to get these things going there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm partial to Arcus Odyssey on the Genesis

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MediEvil was good. TENCHU hasnt aged very well but its ninja stuff. Trap Gunner is fun with a friend. OmegaBoost is like Panzer Dragoon with a mech. I always enjoyed Eïnhander. Syphon Filter comes at a point before RightStick Analogue Aiming was a thing (also, roast people with your mighty taser). Bushido Blade gave me some fun bullshit. And you might as well throw Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete in for anime's sake.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sega just did that promo release of music from their emulation run on tape.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to blame Guardians of the Galaxy for cassette tapes being in again. I know that's probably wrong, but I feel the need to blame somebody.
No, that's about right. It's the original Burned CD.

Also, you could probably sell decent modern cassettes with reformulated magnetic tape but thay would require non-20 year old decks and that takes away from the retro novelty.

Techmoan has a great set of videos about better tape tech, and there's at least one that looks righteous. (Metal slide top to protect the tape, no sprocket holes so Box Art can go on the tape itself, cooler holder that wont die on you.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone can probably hack together the way the game reads the CD TOC and make junk data for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Djarum posted:

I have no real idea what Nintendo is even thinking with these anymore.
Likely that licensing limitations are preventing them from being not loving idiots about these stupid emuboxes.

• Locked thread