Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the go-to SCART to HDMI box for getting my SFC to an HDTV? There seem to be a lot of options and I honestly don't know how to qualify what's good and what's not.

Bonus points if it's not super expensive so I can buy two and take my spare SFC to the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do we all do for SNES -> HDTV then? :(

Or are we all buying CRTs? I'm not ready to make that jump :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok thanks guys. I am going to go ahead and pick up a generic unit just because I don't really have the budget this month to throw at a proper upscaler, and if I do decide to invest in something good down the road I won't have spent a ton of money anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't buy that specific one because it doesn't ship to Canada, but I did read through some other reviews echoing what you pointed out, and yeah I see that they're pretty hit or miss. Gotta roll the dice every now and then I suppose.

I'm willing to take a chance since I'm not really looking to drop the money that a framemeister is going for.

Wish me luck, I guess? :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just ordered a SD2SNES from GamerSection. Picked the "universal" cart which I hope is just a modified SFC cart. I don't really want to have to hack it into a good looking package :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

It is; it's a custom-made SFC shell which has the grooves so it'll go into a North American SNES. Could be a slightly tight fit, but it works.

Sorry I should have mentioned I have an SFC so this is perfect for me. Was just hoping it wasn't some unholy marriage of a SNES and SFC cart that didn't look like either :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have you tried the old standby of rubbing alcohol on a folded paper towel?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A Silicon Graphics enthusiast got his hands on a bunch of old SGI workstations from Acclaim/Iguana Entertainment and has been slowly poring over them - he's still on one machine, as far as I know, but he's already unearthed lots of stuff including several pitch documents for various South Park games, their old motion capture software and most notably, the complete source code to the original Turok N64 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEy_ybKWsg

Love looking through legit game source code so this is awesome news, thanks!

Also really makes me nostalgic for my SGIs. I should dig them out of my parents' basement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any reasonably priced SNES -> SFC adapters? I bought a GameSaver just because it has a right angle connector that would let me pop a square US cart into my SFC. I knew it was butt ugly and tall but I didn't really realize how annoying it looks until it came in the mail today.

Part of me is thinking about doing up a PCB and 3D printing a riser. Can't possibly look much worse.

And yeah, I do have a SD2SNES coming but sometimes you just wanna stick a legit cart in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh yeah, thanks guys. I might just pick up a SNES at that rate.

And for the record, you got my number. I went SFC 100% for the aesthetics :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mail guy should be dropping off my copy of Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adv. tomorrow :cool::hf::cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kea posted:

Discovering the existance of bAtari basic has given me this weird compulsion to write an Atari 2600 game using it. I have to keep reminding myself that a) I dont like the 2600 and b) I dont know basic. Even so I may download it and mess around with it anyway.

Me, two months ago: "Hey I bet it would be fun to learn SNES assembler coding and making a fun little game or something"

Me, today: "I'm an idiot"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kea posted:

Howcome? Significantly harder than you thought or was there some tool you just found?

Compared to NES or GBA there is almost no information. I'm not saying there isn't any, and I have some okay progress to show (I mean, not really okay but you know what I mean), but other than one forum there's not much of a support base.

The assembler itself isn't really difficult but taking the step from HELLO WORLD to pong or whatever seems to be a little more homework than I have time for most days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kea posted:

I would be pretty interested to see what you have so far.

I'll throw it up on github when I go back to work next week. I've been doodling around with it between meetings or when I get bored.

That's actually partly why I want to take my spare SFC to the office :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pairofdimes posted:

You probably know this already, but the developer PDFs for the SNES are out there if you were looking for reference material.

Even if you aren't a programmer they're still interesting to check out.

Yep, got them printed and bound a few weeks ago. It's more about trying to figure out how to make game logic work. Which, now that I think about it, I can probably just look at any NES game source. There are some disassemblies available, even commented.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pairofdimes posted:

If you already have some programming experience there's no reason you can't learn assembly, however if you're mostly familiar with higher level languages you'll probably find a lot of parts pretty tedious. This is a pretty good introduction to MOS 6502 assembly (the NES uses a 6502 clone): https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/

It has a built in assembler, debugger, and output window, so you can easily test stuff and play around.

6502 register info: http://www.obelisk.me.uk/6502/registers.html
6502 instruction set: http://e-tradition.net/bytes/6502/6502_instruction_set.html

To go from there to making an NES game you'd need to learn about the NES's architecture, like how to talk to the PPU to draw stuff on screen and what interrupts exist. But just learning 6502 assembly would be a good place to start.

There's a pretty good series on NES development here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155

Worth a read IMHO

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I ordered my SD2SNES from GamerSection on the 13th and I haven't heard a peep out of them. They're literally 45 minutes away so it's obvious they haven't shipped anything yet. Going to call them tomorrow and if they haven't shipped I'm going to get it somewhere else. Any firsthand recommendations for other stores listed on the official dealer list? I picked gamersection because they were a local Canadian dealer but that seemed too good to be true so I'll be picking one up from Trumpland, I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

falz posted:

If they're 45 minutes away why not just drive there?

I don't think they're a real storefront.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok thanks, I guess I'll call them and maybe give them another week or so since it seems I might be in for a bit of a wait either way. Terrible customer communication though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

falz posted:

Still, I'd imagine that's easier than them shipping. Of course assuming they communicate w you beforehand.

Yeah, it's worth a shot. I'll call them tomorrow, assuming the number on their site actually works :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drat, that early 90s SFC plastic can be eggshell brittle. Bought a dead unit on eBay to try and retrobright. Was packaged allright, but when I opened it and picked it up it just kind of.. caved in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is OSSC even available anywhere right now? Shipping right now, I mean.

And speaking of waiting on shipping. I'm going to beat Zelda on my 3DS before my SD2SNES shows up so I can play it on my TV :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered three SFC games from Japan, they're all 10+ days late and I'm 1/4 so far total in packages from Japan. Did some cargo ship sink or something?

At this rate I'll never get to play Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 5, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

d0s posted:

I don't know but I've been waiting on a package from sheep_nova in china that hasn't moved since "acceptance" on Jan 1st and it's goddamn maddening. Shipping in general has been weird lately, I recently got a package from Italy that took 40 days to arrive

I feel the same way. I had a SCART cable shipped from France that took over a month, two packages from China just arrived which I ordered in NOVEMBER, my SCART-HDMI upscaler has been coming since early January with no delivery in sight.

On the "bright" side, every time I ask the sellers about these packages they just immediately issue a refund so I'm probably going to get these games for free when they show up, but TBH I can't believe that there's nothing between "free shipping that takes six months to arrive" and "$25 for a tiny box" from Asia.

edit: And to be clear, I'm never actually asking these sellers for a refund, I just ask them if they have any info and they issue a refund instead of writing anything back. Third time it's happened now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 5, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that's absolutely fair. I didn't realize there was any festival in Japan and if that delays orders then so be it. I really need to adjust my expectations from eBay. I need to treat it less as a "store" and accept that anything that's cheap is going to either not arrive or get here in a month and a half to two.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well now I feel kind of bad that everyone refunded me my money already. I'd be happier if they'd said something like "shipping disruptions bla bla" but I guess it's easier to refund me the paltry seven bucks I paid for a video game than to risk someone being angry because their package was delayed and handing out a lovely ebay review.

Anyway, thanks guys. Was mainly just me venting my frustration. If my SD2SNES ever ships I won't really need to worry about this stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This may be a very basic question but is there any way to ID a SNES/SFC motherboard without taking off all the metal shielding? I took my good SFC apart to retrobrite it today and I noticed that this mobo has a pull-off sound module while the other spare motherboard I have (from the SFC that arrived with the cracked case) doesn't. Just wondering what, if anything, that says about the revisions I have.

I don't really want to start peeling it apart any further but my curiosity may get the best of me :q:

edit: Oh wait nevermind, the cans aren't affixed at all and just come off easily.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 6, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uggh my SCART to HDMI upscaler was returned to sender undeliverable for some reason so I got a refund. Now I have to decide whether I want to get another one of these, wait for OSSC, or buy an XRBG. I really like the idea of the OSSC and I will likely be buying a new TV in the next year anyway so I can put OSSC compatibility on my go-to list, but I don't know how long I want to wait. My thinking is that the OSSC with a compatible TV will be a more pleasant experience than the XRGB but who knows when that thing actually hits the market.

Now I'm trying to convince myself that Composite video isn't that bad and I can live with it for the time being :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mmmmmm just got my SD2SNES ship notification. Now I just need OSSC to get off its rear end :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

the fabled bukkake64 edition

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Miles McCloud posted:

Last October I bought a small $10 item on ebay from a Chinese seller. The item made it to the US, then got stuck. I got a refund when I contacted the seller with the stuck tracking number.

It showed up last week, with no explanation given for the four month delay.

This is why I'm not really freaking out about my missing SFC games. They're over a month late now but I doubt that both got lost in the mail unless some cargo ship from Japan capsized over the holidays.

Only downside is that they'll arrive after my SD2SNES so they'll just be eye-candy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone tried to put together their own OSSC rather than waiting for the preassembled? I'm thinking of picking up the PCB and putting it together over the next few months in my spare time. Just curious whether anyone's actually tried this in here and would have any words of wisdom other than "-- no don't!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I replaced my Super Nintendo with a super famicom because it's cooler looking and man, what is with Japanese controller cords being so short? Do they usually have the console on the coffee table with cables running to the tv from there or do they just sit super close? I understand the houses being small and everything but these cables are only 4 feet long.

Yeah, this drives me bananas. The first thing I did was to buy an SFC30 and receiver and I haven't looked back. Amazing little gamepad.

I actually just bought two more SNES30s from a goon in SA-Mart. Thinking about buying some SFC colour XYAB buttons and replacing the purple ones that come with the SNES30 just to make everything fit the SFC better.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 20, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

shyduck posted:

Can you use two together with a console and two dongles? Like no interference or anything?

It's two separate bluetooth devices, no issues :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Short of buying a broken SFC controller, does anyone know where to buy replacements for the colourful SFC-style controller buttons?

I'm finding lots of places to get the purple SNES style, but that's not what I'm looking for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are the SD2SNES menu graphics hardcoded into the firmware or can I drop a skin file onto the SD and make it not look like rear end? Granted I'm only ever on the menu for like ten seconds max but it still drives me bananas.

Otherwise the SD2SNES is loving amazing. Friends came over and we played Pac Man 2 New Adventures for like three hours. Never before have I had so much fun playing an awful game.

It /really/ makes me want for a proper SCART to HDMI adapter now though. SVideo is "okay" enough that I forgot about it after enough drinks but it was certainly not something I want to put up with if I don't have to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to just get a $50 crappy SCART to HDMI adapter until I can decide what to do wrt OSSC or XRGB. With the one adapter that everyone seems to rebrand -- does it integrate audio into the output HDMI or do I need to run any additional cabling? I'd really prefer not to run any additional cabling as I have my TV output to my SONOS directly via optical so having to run audio would be a real pain in the rear end.

e: Some more googling reveals yes.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 23, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Genesis, as someone who's not an audiophile by any stretch, would getting a Mk2 be noticeably worse than a Mk1? I know that's kind of subjective, but I'm finding a lot of Mk2's for a reasonable price and not sure I really want to shell out like a hundred more for the HD AUDIO model if I'm just looking to play one or two games here and there.

So my setup would probably be Mk2 + SCART cable going into my crappy SCART-HDMI upscaler until I can build/buy OSSC

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8bitdo doesn't have any plans for Genesis-style controllers but man, I really want them to change their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Captain Rufus posted:

As much of a Sega fan as I am I am totally cool with my FC30. I'm even playing SMS Ultima 4 with it right now.

However if they wanted to do a Saturn pad? :getin:

Yeah I meant for when/if I buy a Genesis :cool:

My SFC30 is so loving amazing. I bought three, two for my SFC and one for my computer. Well, actually I bought two SNES30s from a goon and swapped the buttons from my legit SFC controllers :q:

• Locked thread