Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

wa27 posted:

I believe games were usually played by children sitting on the ground, close to the TV, and a console on the floor. Maybe this stems from the days of playing Pong consoles, which typically had controls on the console itself? Even the Atari 2600 is designed that way, with the controller ports in the back and super long RF/power cables. The trend just lasted longer in Japan than the US.

Japanese houses tend to be so tiny that longer cords would be a waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

GutBomb posted:

I replaced my Super Nintendo with a super famicom because it's cooler looking and man, what is with Japanese controller cords being so short? Do they usually have the console on the coffee table with cables running to the tv from there or do they just sit super close? I understand the houses being small and everything but these cables are only 4 feet long.

Everything is shorter in japan.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Re: Proper soldering technique

https://twitter.com/2_sac/status/829283177080451072

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Booourns posted:

Japanese houses tend to be so tiny that longer cords would be a waste

It doesn't really differ that much, there was quite a business in selling cord extenders and replacement controllers with longer cords (for consoles like the original Famicom where the controllers were hardwired) because of how many people had issues with the length (and hell, controller extenders sold quite well in the US too).

Of course, one thing to remember is that, especially with older consoles, you had to sit fairly close to the console in the first place no matter where you lived. Like how there's a bunch of Atari 2600 games that can require you to manipulate the switches on the console during gameplay, or how the Master System and its various Japanese predecessors require you to reach over to the top of the console just to pause it!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Silly question, but is there a reason the XRGB reports RGB/SCART retro systems such as the NES and SNES as being 720x240 when you check Full_Status? Shouldn't it be 360x240?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Japanese audiences are much more committed to the reset button. I have nothing to base this on but I'm sticking with it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Nate RFB posted:

Silly question, but is there a reason the XRGB reports RGB/SCART retro systems such as the NES and SNES as being 720x240 when you check Full_Status? Shouldn't it be 360x240?

Standard definition is 720 pixels wide.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Japanese rooms are usually pretty small so they have different setup

e: wow replied to something on previous page

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Well here's a cart you don't see very often, I think the last time I did a double take this hard in a game store it was finding out they had a Wii in stock in 2006/7. Consequently it's my new favorite game for the moment, I like it a little more than Magical Drop even.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Well here's a cart you don't see very often, I think the last time I did a double take this hard in a game store it was finding out they had a Wii in stock in 2006/7. Consequently it's my new favorite game for the moment, I like it a little more than Magical Drop even.

A local store had a copy of that sitting around forever and I've kicked myself for not picking it up for $5.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What do you need to play burned cd on a Saturn?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rirse posted:

What do you need to play burned cd on a Saturn?

Either a mod chip, or Pseudo Saturn. There's a swap trick too, but I wouldn't recommend it.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

You can get Pseudo Saturn by flashing it onto an Action Replay or Memory Card Plus. You will need to do the swap trick to load the flashing utility, though.

Edit: You can also buy a Gamer's Cartridge from the same page, which has Pseudo Saturn pre-installed and the ability to save to SD.

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 19, 2017

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

A local store had a copy of that sitting around forever and I've kicked myself for not picking it up for $5.

Luckily mine was $8, better than current options on eBay. The clerk did admit to me in so many words that there are a bunch of collectors that are employed at the store and they do skim some of the good stuff that comes in on trade for themselves. Not that I'm surprised in any way by it, but it explains why there there not as much of the cool and unusual games on the shelves.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

azurite posted:

Either a mod chip, or Pseudo Saturn. There's a swap trick too, but I wouldn't recommend it.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

You can get Pseudo Saturn by flashing it onto an Action Replay or Memory Card Plus. You will need to do the swap trick to load the flashing utility, though.

Edit: You can also buy a Gamer's Cartridge from the same page, which has Pseudo Saturn pre-installed and the ability to save to SD.

Okay. The goon who selling his Saturn with Action Replay in SA Mart might already done this. I can PM him about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how Headhunter spends about 90% of the game ripping off Metal Gear Solid's gameplay and then turns into Resident Evil, Tyrant, weird puzzle door locks and all, for the final stretch.

Also it takes some real loving stones to end a game on triggering a worldwide pandemic of organ-liquifying Ebola :suspense:

Is Headhunter: Redemption any good/decent/tolerably playable?

I liked Redemption quite a bit when I played it. It's a decent enough MGS kinda game with sneaking around various facilities, there's melee takedown animations that are kind of cool. Fun action schlock story and writing like the first one. You can tell that just as Headhunter 1 was heavily inspired by Paul Verhoeven and 80s action movies, they took a lot from 90s action movies here. I like that it has something similar to the scanning visor in Metroid Prime or the "here's your objective" vision mode many other game do today. I think it and Prime itself were among the earliest games to have something like that that mixed the world building in with looking for your next step and analyzing stuff and it's like super commonplace in AAA games now.

The game takes place some time after the original, the setting now consists of a shithole underground city where the lower class works and labors and an upper city where the middle and upper class live. IIRC the lower city is like anyone who was ever a criminal and/or related to people who got a strain of the disease that isn't actually dangerous but why take chances when we can use this as an excuse to have a perpetual slave caste amirite? But I can't remember too much of the story beyond Jack teaming up with this woman Leeza and that they wisely removed the motorcycle parts completely. I think they made Leeza better for sneaking and melee and made Jack slower/louder but he got access to heavy armor and better guns and stuff.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

2nd and Charles pays off again. I found a suspicious looking NES controller in the back of a rack of bagged up controllers. Turns out they bagged the controller up with Power Grips :toot:

Paid 7 bucks, which is their normal controller price at the moment. This is what they look like for those not familiar:

They go on eBay for $20-30 normally, and they're actually useful.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Played through both Smartball and Porky Pig's Hunted Holiday this weekend and now love both.

Smartball was called Jelly Boy in Japan and I'm not sure why they changed the name. It's a platformer where you play as a blue blob that looks similar to the slimes from Dragon Warrior. Apparently you're a dude who gets turned into a blob after his sister is kidnapped by an eeeevil wizard. The Japanese version had towns (and cut scenes?) in between the levels to explain what was going on. No real plot to speak of for the SNES version but its cute as all hell. Controls are a little slippery, which kinda fits. This one was developed by Game Freak who I'm sure went on to make nothing of note ever again.

The moon level is adorable. Leave the bunnies alone, you don't have to hurt them to get to the end. :saddowns:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg86-XRjUE8&t=353s

Bare man rear end in the ice level if that's your thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg86-XRjUE8&t=584s

Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday is a game I got in a lot and almost just tossed it up on Ebay under the assumption it sucked like nearly every other Loony Tunes games. Nope. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing groundbreaking in it but the controls are tight, the soundtrack is actually pretty good in spots and the designers actually bothered to make the levels relatively interesting, many with multiple secret areas. It's a breeze even on normal difficulty, in part because the game is super generous with its 1-ups. I think I topped out tonight at 20 lives.

But the best part of the game is level 5, The Alps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWxNldSl2w&t=2672s

You get about halfway into what seems like a pretty typical snow/ice level when the scene just breaks and suddenly you're in this Dali-esque happy music hellscape where it's raining dead fish (for some reason that's absent in the video above :shrug:). Secret/sub areas here include fried chicken space and a featureless plain in space where Porky has to stand on floating eyeballs. I'd like to imagine that some programmer just snapped. "Ice level? Ice level? goddammit I am sick of ice levels! You want an ice level? Here's yer loving ice level! You gotta stand on the fried egg until the horse's head screams at you. The eyes are watching you! Stand on the drumsticks! How's that for an ice level?"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quiet Feet posted:

Played through both Smartball and Porky Pig's Hunted Holiday this weekend and now love both.

Smartball was called Jelly Boy in Japan and I'm not sure why they changed the name. It's a platformer where you play as a blue blob that looks similar to the slimes from Dragon Warrior. Apparently you're a dude who gets turned into a blob after his sister is kidnapped by an eeeevil wizard. The Japanese version had towns (and cut scenes?) in between the levels to explain what was going on. No real plot to speak of for the SNES version but its cute as all hell. Controls are a little slippery, which kinda fits. This one was developed by Game Freak who I'm sure went on to make nothing of note ever again.

The moon level is adorable. Leave the bunnies alone, you don't have to hurt them to get to the end. :saddowns:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg86-XRjUE8&t=353s

Bare man rear end in the ice level if that's your thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg86-XRjUE8&t=584s

My cousin used to own Smartball. I love that game and I thought the moon level was really cool with that Mode 7 rotation thing going on. Most of the oddball platformers of that era tried to copy Mario and Sonic, but this one seems to have taken some inspiration from Kirby instead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Smartball was called Jelly Boy in Japan and I'm not sure why they changed the name.

I'm pretty sure there was a trademark conflict that made them change the name. I like Smartball, but I also found to be really easy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a trademark conflict that made them change the name. I like Smartball, but I also found to be really easy.

I am thinking it might be due to this game on the SNES that also called Jellyboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdkra6KNk-o

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah, Smartball was like a launch window game for the SNES, that other (super crappy) game came out in 95.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Can a British person please explain your country's breathtaking output of really bad mascot platformers in the 90's? I feel like I learn about a new one every day

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Have some respect or the Brits will send James Pond and Dizzy the Egg to sort you out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod is a classic and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Well, maybe not. Actually I just have fond memories of it because for some reason it was on all our school computers back in the mid-90s, along with Ski or Die.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a beta for the unreleased Jerry Boy 2 floating around online, I think it's even translated.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a beta for the unreleased Jerry Boy 2 floating around online, I think it's even translated.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the full completed game, or at least that's what I've heard. I played through it a long time ago because I loved the first game as a kid and it seemed complete to me.

e:

dishwasherlove posted:

Have some respect or the Brits will send James Pond and Dizzy the Egg to sort you out.

Well as long as they don't send impossamole and alfred chicken

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

GutBomb posted:

I replaced my Super Nintendo with a super famicom because it's cooler looking and man, what is with Japanese controller cords being so short? Do they usually have the console on the coffee table with cables running to the tv from there or do they just sit super close? I understand the houses being small and everything but these cables are only 4 feet long.

With the famicom it was advertised as something like a video boardgame. So you would store it in a closet or cupboard, hook it up when you wanted to play, then store it again. They did not really break from that ideal until 5th gen.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I always felt like I might enjoy James Pond 2 (at least, the Genesis version, or maybe the SNES/Amiga ones). I never played it as a kid, but I did play one of Vectordean's other games, a Genesis-exclusive platformer called Rolo to the Rescue, to death. My first Electronic Arts game, no less. Kinda surprised it didn't get an Amiga port, since the game's very Amiga-feeling (and Vectordean were definitely Amiga devs), though I think one was planned but never materialized?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

For what it's worth James Pond 2 in particular is the game I hear come up most often when people try to think of an Amiga mascot game that's actually good

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Yeah, this drives me bananas. The first thing I did was to buy an SFC30 and receiver and I haven't looked back. Amazing little gamepad.

I actually just bought two more SNES30s from a goon in SA-Mart. Thinking about buying some SFC colour XYAB buttons and replacing the purple ones that come with the SNES30 just to make everything fit the SFC better.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 20, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, this drives me bananas. The first thing I did was to buy an SFC30 and receiver and I haven't looked back. Amazing little gamepad.

I actually just bought two more SNES30s from a goon in SA-Mart. Thinking about buying some SFC colour XYAB buttons and replacing the purple ones that come with the SNES30 just to make everything fit the SFC better.
Can you use two together with a console and two dongles? Like no interference or anything?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

shyduck posted:

Can you use two together with a console and two dongles? Like no interference or anything?

It's a selling point for their product!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

d0s posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually the full completed game, or at least that's what I've heard. I played through it a long time ago because I loved the first game as a kid and it seemed complete to me.

e:

Alfred Chicken is actually fun, it's closer to Flicky than it is to standard platformers (or at least seemed that way when I played it).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Can a British person please explain your country's breathtaking output of really bad mascot platformers in the 90's? I feel like I learn about a new one every day

No one can explain Mr. Tuff. That might be why his game got canceled.

Tinhead is one of the better games of that family. It's repetitive, but the controls are solid and there's more shooting than the typical '90s Euro side-scroller. I like the music, too!

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 20, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

shyduck posted:

It's two separate bluetooth devices, no issues :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm fairly certain I was never able to do this as a child without cheating, but for whatever reason I decided today would be the day I'd beat SMB1 on the NES via the XRGB. I think it was specifically always that final lone Hammer Bros. in 8-4 that would do me in but here I just made a mad dash and somehow threaded the needle just right. I'd like to think that having been exposed to so much BS in Mario Maker helped prepare me but to be honest the original game controls so differently I don't think it really mattered.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

please help alfred find his girlfriend and/or the watering cans

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

absolutely anything posted:

please help alfred find his girlfriend and/or the watering cans

Did someone say Alfred the Chicken!?

If you listen carefully, I swear you can hear the shotgun propped under his chin as he tries to will himself to just pull the trigger with his big toe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

For what it's worth James Pond 2 in particular is the game I hear come up most often when people try to think of an Amiga mascot game that's actually good

It's been a long time since I played it but I do remember it had actual level design and not the typical "eighty miles of randomly placed platforms with a zillion collectibles strewn about" layouts of most euro platformers from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did someone say Alfred the Chicken!?

If you listen carefully, I swear you can hear the shotgun propped under his chin as he tries to will himself to just pull the trigger with his big toe.

I'm pretty sure someone in this thread did an edit set to Sound of Silence or something. It was super depressing.

d0s posted:

There were several RPG Makers for consoles and even handhelds but I can't believe "Amiga Platformer Maker" wasn't a thing.

Or was it?

• Locked thread