Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I saw this today at a nearby Salvation Army

I passed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yesterday I was having a casual chat with a couple of newer friends about Zelda or something, and the conversation steered towards childhood systems. One of them grew up playing Saturn.

He says his favorite games were Bomberman and from piecing together hazy memories, one of the Panzer Dragoon games.

After picking up my jaw off the floor, I asked him if he still had those games. Apparnetly he does, boxed in the attic with a bunch of other Saturn games. He had absolutely no idea of the value of any of it was. So yeah, he's going to try and get to it soon. I'm excited for him and to hear or see what else he has. Fuckin attics man.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The guys at My Life in Gaming, which is a fantastic channel on its own, recently uploaded several gaming VHS tapes in full on a separate channel. It has those Nintendo freebies, game strategy stuff, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VideogameBRoll/videos

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My girlfriend and I beat that Luigi's Mansion arcade game. We spent like 20 bucks or so, but the original is her favorite game ever, and this one was really well done.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Within a matter of 30 minutes today, I picked up a copy of Conker's for 50 bucks, and as I walked inside a nearby Toys R Us, they just unboxed and put out a couple of NES Classic Editions they received. The lady said they hadn't received any since launch. Naturally I grabbed one. Crazy.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Good news: I'm 3 games away from having all 14 NA Virtual Boy Games :unsmith:

Bad news: I need Panic Bomber, Water World, and Jack Bros :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: :smith: :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So a friend of mine and I are trying to determine how many games were made based on Stallone movies. So far we have:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Cliffhanger (multiplatform)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky (2002 release, PS2 GCN XB)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

Any others? Any uncommon platforms?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 11, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Not only did I find Panic Bomber for Virtual Boy in a game shop this past weekend, they were selling it for a reasonable price :toot:

This leaves just Waterworld and Jack Brothers for a complete North American collection. I'll be at a con in June (Too Many Games) so hopefully I can squeak a deal.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

worthless. posted:

Congrats! Enjoy your seizures!
Haha thank you! Being only a 14 title library and half of them being quite common, I figured it's the most easily attainable console collection to finish, especially for a Nintendo console. I'm going to try to get the Japanese exclusives too, but I think a couple of those go for insane money.

For instance Japan had an exclusive Space Invaders game, and right now the lowest eBay selling price is $600. That's silly.

edit: Also today I learned there's Virtual Boy homebrew. I'm curious, but these games go for hundreds as well.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 24, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I can't even imagine how many duplicate copies of various games they must have. They probably have a room full of Superman 64s or something.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

worthless. posted:

Honestly gamestop probably won't even take them.
They're doing retro games again, mostly from their website, so most likely they will.

They've gotten heat for it because they've both bought and sold bootleg games as authentic because they don't know what they're doing. It's also a crapshoot whether or not your game comes with a box/manual.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like this was brought up not long ago apologies if it was. What's the best way to get a good picture from an NTSC Gamecube that doesn't involve purchasing component cables or playing on a Wii?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Didn't even think of s-video, thanks, I'll give it a shot. It'll be passed through a framemeister so hopefully that'll help too.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Feels good to win an eBay auction without worrying about being sniped by a bot with a 5 digit feedback.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Goldeneye.

Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat for NES is a good one.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you're going to sell but you're unsure, keep the stuff that you'd still actively take off the shelf and play. Like maybe purge anything you know you haven't touched in a while, especially if it's common and cheap enough to easily get back if you have regrets.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Found a Miracle piano today at a nearby thrift shop :toot:

No cables, pedal, or game though. I ordered the NES stuff required and the power cable. I can't play the piano at all so this should be fun

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Have you seen the Wii library? That's shovelriffic.
There's at least one person with a complete Wii collection:

http://kotaku.com/a-complete-wii-collection-is-an-impressive-sight-1791697705

Different strokes for different folks and all, but jesus if that isn't just a wall of crap.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I might've missed this earlier but I'm very excited for this: Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 for PS4, Xbone and PC is coming out in early August. It'll be the first ever physical release of MM 9 and 10, and also includes 7 and 8. Only 20 bucks.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

I finally got around to buying screwdriver bits to open up cartridges and I was wondering, is there a website that has a searchable compilation of legit game board pics that I can reference other than GIS?
NES: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/
SNES: https://snescentral.com/gameindex.php
N64: http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/tcsr2001.tripod.com/

This was some very quick Googling, searching for 'pcb database'. I'm sure there's others for Genesis, etc.

Out of curiousity, do you suspect you have a fake game?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Regarding Framemeister, The 'My Life In Gaming' guys learned from somebody with Micomsoft knowledge that the company only has basically one engineer, and they're not keen on the being in the upscaler business. Grain of salt, but doesn't sound good for an updated one.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I bet you'll see Starfox 2 show up on 3DS VC eventually. Then again, Nintendo.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Wizgot posted:

It was on James and Mike Mondays a couple years back.
Same thing happened with Skykid. It went from a <$5 common game to $30+

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Super Smash TV for SNES is a really fun multiplayer game

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Peace Keepers immediately sticks out as a good one.

The NHL games are fun with several players. Turn off icing and offsides and have at it. NHL 96 and 97 have fighting.

Also Street Hockey 95 might be the worst sports game on the console.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

I would make sure they're legit copies if you do. I know people on reddit have gotten reproductions when they bought retro games online during a promotion.
Even worse I heard one story on the CUPodcast about somebody recently buying a copy of Wayne's World on NES from GS online only for it to be a relabeled copy of Play Action Football.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Oh, and I totally got the Gradius minigame too. :c00l: That was always a highlight when playing as a kid.
Blades of Steel was the first NES game I ever got with TMNT 1 and the SMB/Duck Hunt NES Action Set. I didn't know until into my adulthood that this was a playable game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

xamphear posted:

I'm going to be in NYC (Manhattan) for a long weekend soon, and will have some time to kill. Anything I should check out while I'm there?
Nintendo World Store at Rockefeller Plaza is neat.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I finally finally finally picked up a copy of Sunset Riders for SNES... for 45 bucks at a brick and mortar GameStop :stare:

It's legit and in very good shape. I'd still never buy retro from their website, but this was great

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm still a little bit in shock at how much this tweet blew up.

I met him at a local scifi/horror/cult convention this past weekend. He was very nice. I had a choice to either get this signed or my copy of SNES Batman Forever, but I think I made the right choice here.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Holy poo poo they just made a fortune. This is going to get worse and worse.
RGT85 on YouTube pointed out they did these same bundles item-for-item with the NES Classic just recently

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wasn't a fan of the DS4 sticks, so I put Xbone sticks in mine. They fit without any modification required. It can be a bit tricky to get the DS4 open the first time around but there's tutorials out there and it's not bad as long as you're patient.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

financially racist posted:

i bought a super famicom and started importing sfc games because american snes game prices are so fuckin stupid right now, just do that
:same:

I paid way less for all of the SFC Rockmans than I would have for an American X2 or X3 alone.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/903024858996514816

Seems... pricey

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

An 100 dollar repro of a 10 dollar game that catches fire might be the ultimate epitome of :retrogames:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've never heard of a Z64 before, but it sounds like the pinnacle of 90's technology.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A friend of mine pre-ordered the SF2 repro :negative:

He seems to already regret it. I'm buying him a fire extinguisher for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

This is the only kickstarter I've ever backed entirely due to the fact that new third party N64 controllers cost that much and I'm still desperately looking for a mostly functional controller for the system.
The Hori mini isn't too bad. Unfortunately they're all north of $70 now.

I might drop 20 on this.

• Locked thread