Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
This last page reminded me I have a copy of the good steel battalion and its online only sequel I need to offload.

I have a question that has inevitably been asked before, but I skimmed the thread and have t found an answer. I have moved a couple of times and cannot seem to locate my SNES power cord. I have literally everything else but the wall wart. I looked into one of those 3 in 1 deals that are everywhere but Amazon is rife with 1* reviews saying they don't actually deliver enough power to the system. Am I better off searching eBay for a replacement original cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'd honestly get the actual OEM supply, for peace of mind if nothing else. Even if the third party supplies provide enough power (not guaranteed), the build quality on the one I got a long time back was kind of poo poo; really skinny cables and the case cracked open somehow. It's not worth whatever small amount of money (in the long run) you might save to buy one.

Found one on eBay with pictures for $20 shipped, and with the knock off's being $10, I'm glad I looked into this more than impulse buying the 3 in 1 at the local comic shop for like $13.

One more question. I regret selling my copy of Super Metroid back when I was a kid to Funcoland to buy a PSX and Final Fantasy 7 when it came out. I am noticing that the Super famicom version is like $20 cheaper at least, and from what I'm reading they are identical. Is there any real reason to get the US version other than that was what I had as a kid?

I am ordering the silly bits that I need to open up carts/consoles from eBay as I had wanted to 'Mod' my N64 a while back and couldn't find the bits, for 1.49 and free shipping for both the 4.5 and 3.8 bits I figured why not.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Who is the rear end in a top hat that thought coloring component cables red, green, and blue was a funny thing to do when RGB output is a thing. I was looking up RGB Vs Component tonight to see what people are talking about and I had no idea they were legitimately completely different.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

al-azad posted:

Jesus, this is sooo scummy! "Other people steal so why make such a big deal?" They're basically pissing on the GPL and Creative Commons, which are legal licenses that can be upheld in court. In most cases the rights are retained by the creator but they allow distribution (a license) provided the modification of their software is under the same license. But I'm sure if you modified the Retron and redistributed it their lawyers would be knocking at your door the next day.

Epic offers their multi-million dollar game engine for free... and then they ask for a cut when you start earning income because that's how software loving works Hyperkin you goddamn hacks.

I don't want to be 'That guy" but as a software developer that submits code to open source projects, this makes my stomach turn. I didn't realize the RetroN5 did this and it makes me even less likely to purchase one. As is I wasn't super sold on using that over an emulator, which I did in college. Not having the TV/Console/Controller meant I was a tourist with the games. It just doesn't have the same hook when there is 'no money on the game' maybe, or maybe it was simply the fact that there is that magic nostalgia to playing it on the old console. The experience just has a certain Je ne sais quoi, as the saying goes.

As an aside, I just got gifted a older CRT TV for my use with my old SNES, and I was curious about updating the cables. I still only have the Composite cables, and I was looking into the RGB Vs. Component, etc. that spawned this entire discussion this page ( Sorry, not sorry ). I was curious if there is any difference between the S-Video cables up on eBay that are advertised for GCN/SNES/N64? I never had a TV that could use a S-Video cable as a kid, so it was never even on my radar.

I see a bunch that are going for sub-$10 and then some that go for slightly more and look like they may be more official, then lastly the :laffo: Monster Cable style ones as well.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

There's a lot of terrible cheap "S-Video" cables on Ebay that are just unshielded composite cables with S-video plugs.

I recommend these cables. They are actually properly wired and shielded, and don't cost $$$ like monster cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So glad I asked! Thanks bud.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tyma posted:

Finally got around to finishing construction of The Monolith, to house my collection of Music Games (and collection of snakes). So far, I'm at a full set of PSX and PS2 games, and aiming to finish the DS and Wii next, since they have the 'best' ones. I'm two years into collecting now, and would definitely recommend aiming to collect a genre of games, rather than a system. It's fun to be able to chart the development of a genre, and see how certain trends and gameplay conventions took hold, and how every game seems to lead into the next.

As an added bonus, it's 90% Shovelware :neckbeard:

Oh man, what a good idea, I should collect my favorite genre, SNES era RPGs! Oh wait... :suicide:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Got my SNES power cord in early today instead of Saturday. gently caress yeah! Plugged it into a new to me TV that I got from a cousin randomly, and nothing but a black screen :( my heart dropped.

So my square soft games FF3 and Secret of Mana worked fine, but for some reason MMX, Zelda LttP, and Super Mario World didn't work for me. I ended up hitting them in a little more securely and now they work without issue. It made me concerned for the pins though. I have heard about replacement pin sockets for NES, I assume there are ones for SNES?

I assume that my 12 year old self was rather rough with plugging games in, then doing a hard "tap" on the top to socket it in. I always loved the eject lever though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah its just gunk on the cartridge contacts; switching them out that much scraped enough dirt off for them to work. I'd recommend cleaning all your carts with alcohol and q-tips.

Good to know. They have been in storage in my basement in New England for years, so it's not that surprising.

Is there a good place to order the plastic SNES sheathes that came with most of the games originally? I have them for all my games but 1, and I was hoping to grab a flash cart soon, so I pull be down 2. I assume eBay, but was hoping there were alternatives.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I know it's a really silly accomplishment, but it took me 24 years:

I stayed up tonight to get this done, and my 11 year old self is surely jealous.

Happy Birthday to me :v:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

DoctorWhat posted:

Now get the Dragon Punch in X2!

Don't think you can do it?

SURE YOU CAN!

Don't own x2 or x3. :(

Working on it. Hoping I at least get a SD2SNES for said birthday.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm looking forward to getting one, but I missed the preorder window (was it even open on Amazon?) so I'll have to wait until they're easy to find and people have dissected them like fake alien corpses on YouTube.

Then went on sale ver like the summer? Sold out quickly and idiots were already selling their preorders early on eBay for ridiculous mark up. When preordering on eBay, the terms. Is eBay require it to be within 30 days of auction end, guess what July isn't within.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It happened today. I put in my old as dirt Super Mario World cart, and today it showed Empty x3. :(

I used it like 2 weeks ago and it had the saves on it, but now... alas.

My bits don't come in for another couple of weeks apparently.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

Did the new firmware for the SD2SNES enable any games that didn't work previously?

Doesn't look like it, outside of:

quote:

BS-X: new bsx page file by LuigiBlood!

* contains a proper channel map, notably fixes Fuurai no Shiren: Surara o sukue and most likely more games
* revives the town

It was mostly dealing with in game hooks for the OS it runs.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Random Stranger posted:

It may not be Snail Maze. There's at least three versions of the Master System hardware: one with nothing, one with Snail Maze, and one with Alex Kidd. wa27, turn the system on with no cartridge in and tell us what happens.

That can't be all of them, as the SMS I had came with a motorcycle game that looked very much like Rad Racer with a bike ( Can't recall the name ) and another game that I believe was called Safari Hunt, which was a light gun game.

Those were the two games you could play if you turned it on with no cart.

E: Looked it up, my SMS had Hang-On/Safari Hunt, and apparently there was a code to get to Snail Game that I never knew about until today.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 8, 2016

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

falz posted:

That's an "or" list. The original console probably came with that cart though.

I was thrilled to find mine had snail maze when I figured it out when I was a kid. Way better than Nintendo that just had a blinking screen iirc.

Actually, I did not mean it as an or. My console was Hang on AND safari hunt.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I know it's not all that 'Retro' but I've always been fascinated by the Game Boy Micro. Anyone have one of these that could give some impressions? Screen too small to be useful? I keep considering it for games that I have yet to finish like Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. I have an old as dirt flash cart for GBA somewhere I know too.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have it and I really like it a lot. The d-pad is great, but it is "mushy" , even more than even the DS Lite. But it's good. The screen is FANTASTIC. I am a complete lunatic when it comes to image quality and screen stuff and for the longest time I assumed it was an OLED screen, yet it's not. I still don't know how it gets such amazing blacks/colors on a non-oled screen. Also the games look even better being on a smaller screen (higher DPI). I would say the only negative is dust tends to make its way onto the actual screen even with the cover on (but this happens with the non-SP GBA as well) and the speakers are really quiet, even at full volume. But it is a great little system. I beat Mother 3 on it.
Perfect, this leads to my next question. How is text on it? I worry that it would be too small to really read legibly. However I did see that during the "Dev's Play" series that Double Fine did, I believe one of their guys was playing Mother 3 on a GBA Micro as well. He didn't really go into the text size or anything in his discussion of using the device, just that he used it. He was kind of an old hat at the series. It concerns me simply to the point of, would that be a OK first experience of the game?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I saw it posted before, but the 8bitdo SNES Bluetooth receiver, any of you guys have any experience with it? Any input Lag?

I did NOT realize that it works with most Bluetooth controllers on the market, like my Wii U Pro Controller or PS4 controller.

I saw it in this video while browsing Youtube randomly looking up retro stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nvlObxC5I

He didn't really go into lag issues or anything though, and the community here seems to be rather well versed in this stuff and definitely not pulling punches.

For $20 my interest is peaked. I figured I had to use their SNES controllers with it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
My Wife surprised me this afternoon in my sick stupor with a late birthday present. She got me a SD2SNES! Loaded it up and tried out some Adventures of Batman and Robin, found out I still can't beat the Joker, then had to fall back to my old standby, Donkey Kong Country. This cart is pretty amazing.

Loaded it up with the latest firmware as well.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Load up some MSU1 patches. :getin:

Definitely have to get that done next.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

Also, the Link to the Past and Super Metroid MSU-1 patches are awesome. I found a site that had a lot of those patches pre-packed, but I don't know if it's alright to link. It shouldn't be hard to find.
I was watching YouTube samples of the megaman x msu1 patch and I noticed that the music completely overpowered the sound effects as was noted earlier in the thread. Did you not find the same issues?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

njsykora posted:

Nostalgia bias is certainly a thing, I've been playing FF6 on my RetroPie the last week and it hasn't been grabbing me at all as someone who never played the SNES Final Fantasy games as a kid (Sega kid, Phantasy Star). I'm pretty much pushing through to see the opera scene then I'll probably drop it.

I cannot fathom not being completely in love with Final Fantasy 6, but then again when I was a kid I asked for Final Fantasy 6 for my birthday, it was up against Chrono Trigger, but FF won out. I later got Chrono Trigger ( I think I didn't get it till the PS1 port? ) and love it too, however therer was one fatality. I saw all the ads for it, but never got around to Earthbound. Same for Super Mario RPG, and both of those games I just haven't gotten into at all later in life.

I can still play through FF6, and Chrono Trigger for fun, but Earthbound and Super Mario RPG cannot keep me interested. Which I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be cringing about.

Ambitious Spider posted:

So good news is, looks like it's just the face plate that's scratched on my micro. Bad news it's a famicom one and it's looking impossible to even find a normal replacement face plate let alone a famicom one

Too bad there isn't more of a scene for the GBA Micro, because I would think custom face plates would be pretty cool. At least different decal skins for it to be less cost prohibitive.

On a semi-related note, is there any interest in Steel Batallion here? I happen to have the controller, both games and a working Xbox to run it if people are interested. I'm mostly looking to sell it off and buy a GBA Micro.

E: Holy crap did not notice that this thing is now cresting over $100 -> $200+

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 17, 2016

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rirse posted:

Yeah I was looking at the first link if I did it myself.

By the way, since the PS1 PSIO comes back in stock next week, what the best component cable option for it? I will wait to order one until I know that I am able to get the PSIO, but I know the PS1 just need cables.

Did you read the drama in the last page or so about the PSIO? Doesn't look like it's getting any updates anytime soon, and may be dead.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So for the folks with RGB SCART hook ups, are you using a special TV that actually has those inputs? Or are you using a converter of sorts with it? Being from the US, I have literally never seen a TV with SCART, and it appears from what I'm reading to be mostly popular in the EU?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monopthalmus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSRW6GIFybpOJbjU65T8eFVM

Watch that playlist! Great overview of the basics of RGB gaming.

Thanks for the info everyone :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
One other question regarding CRT's, my father still has an old as dirt Toshiba flat screen 480p CRT. I'm inheriting it, and was curious if that would give any better picture than the small crap TV that I have that at least has S-Video? I can't get up to 480p out of my SNES as is I assume, and it won't do progressive scan.

This stuff is just super old tech that I haven't had to deal with since I was a kid, and back then I didn't bother with this.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

al-azad posted:

Legend of Mana is the best in the series :colbert:

I've wanted to play this for years! Is this PS3 only or can I get some of this on my 4?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

kirbysuperstar posted:

There is currently no way to play PS1 games on the PS4.

Ell pits. The store is so badly organized that I can never find what I want. Guess I was just on the wrong console this time!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Einhander really needs to get released on psn. I didn't like it when I came out, but that was before I got into shmups.

It's been on the PS3 Jpn store for years.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Xenomrph posted:

If I want to open up a SNES, I need a special screwdriver bit, right? I saw some on eBay, but I saw two sizes - 3.8mm and 4.5mm. Which one do I need? Both?

Old carts ( NES ) need 3.8mm, you need 4.5mm for SNES hardware.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

mariooncrack posted:

I think it's on Amazon Video. I don't recommend watching it, it wasn't all that interesting and the lead has some mental health issues that he should probably address.

Yeah, I watched it for free on either Netflix or Amazon prime video, and was glad I didn't pay extra money to sit through it. (

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Apparently you can catch the boomerang in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3. I did not know that when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU_iArlBfM

Is that you streaming? Maybe I am misinterpreting, but it sounded like you were telling chat to be E+, which I took as family friendly, then managed to curse several times right after catching the boomerang? Seemed a bit odd is all I'm saying.

REGARDLESS, that is pretty wacky, I never played the Advance editions of Mario, but something like that seems way out of left field for the game. Did we just not realize it could be done in SMB3?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

wa27 posted:

e+ is referring to the e-reader levels in Mario Advance. There is a literal e+ made out of coins on the screen at that moment.

Well that makes a hell of a lot more sense!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

falz posted:

It should look pretty much exactly like the ones on Krikzz' site

https://krikzz.com/store/home/27-sd2snes.html

My Super Everdive did at least.

This is exactly what it should look like, mine is gray though.

It's a Super Famicom cart with the grooves added to fit in a SNES just as well. Looks fine in my SNES, but I'm betting it'll actually look better in a SF due to the curves and fitting more snug.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I got my SD2SNES as a gift and it had the grey cart, I kind of want to replace it with another cart to get rid of the gaudy SD2SNES, but don't want to mill a SD slot.

Then again, I actually liked the look of the red translucence case. That sticker though.... needs some work.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rirse posted:

Wish it would speed up a little. That one of the things that makes the SNES Classic more enticing then the NES Classic is a lot of the major games that are not playable on the SD2SNES are playable there.

This is exactly why I'm buying a SNES. Almost all of the games that I have any interest in playing on my SNES that I don't have the carts for anymore and can't use my flash cart for are on the Classic.

Except Stunt Race FX, but that's more of a curiosity. I played it once in a TRU back in the day as a kid and thought it was interesting at the time.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Having owned this game as a kid: the correct answer is anything other than this game = best skateboard game ever. Another acceptable answer is Skate Or Die.

720* was a great skateboard game. I knew how to do a lot more poo poo in that than Skate or Die. However the half pipe was still a crap shoot for me.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey guys. Not sure if this is :filez: or not. If it is I'll delete this.

I wanna give making my own little Raspberry PI a shot, because gently caress paying some duche on E-Bay 300 bucks for those classic systems. And gently caress Nintendo for manufactured scarcity.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was if there was anything more I needed to do this other than the Pi itself. What about cool cases and housings? Are those for sale anywhere.

You can literally buy a mini nes case on Amazon for a Pi. You will need a memory card for it as well, but that is kind of a given. Along with whatever controller setup you want :x

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Any goons in these cities can score an NES Classic for retail price. Unfortunately I live nowhere near any of them

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/amazon-treasure-truck-selling-nintendo-nes-classic-for-60-today/

Hope this helps someone here!

My buddy who lives in TX just picked one up this afternoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
How has nobody recommended Jet Moto? Those games were mindless racing fun!

Of course Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as well, I don't think I saw that mentioned, but holy poo poo. It isn't really a 'Hidden Gem' though. Then a lot of the recommended games I wouldn't consider hidden gems like Guilty Gear and Einhander. Definitely great games, both of which I own and love, but they weren't 'hidden', I grew up playing the poo poo out of these ( In High School at least ).

• Locked thread