Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Help this thread got restarted but the light on the front is just blinking on and off and it's not working.

EDIT here's some possible extra information of interest to either add to the OP or just link to my post, gently caress it, at least I ground floored this time.

Some people like sticking with the original hardware running on a CRT as that produces the lowest amount of input lag, which can be critical in certain "twitchy" action games designed before input lag even existed as a worthwhile concern. While some people putting together emulators with specially-chosen low-lag hardware have had some success keeping lag fairly low, it is pretty much impossible to match the original hardware's low input lag due to how PC's, as well as modern non-CRT screens work, so if you intend to get into some serious retro tournaments or speedrunning of a particular game, you will want to run it on original hardware connected to a CRT, although don't have to do the insanity of modding the consoles for specialized high-quality outputs like RGB SCART. Note that if getting an HDTV, they vary wildly in input lag, with the most common low input lag sets generally being LG non-4K units. To determine the input lag of a specific TV, look it up here: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

For all intents and purposes, the krikzz flashcarts will run almost everything official on a console EXCEPT for the Super NES, and a few notable issues with the original NES.

For the Super NES, specialized chips used by some games like the SuperFX (e.g. Star Fox, Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island, DOOM) and SA-1 (e.g. Super Mario RPG) will not run on any flash cart available at this time. A more common expansion chip called the DSP-1, and best known for Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart, will work, although for krikzz's Super Everdrive you will need to install an actual DSP-1 chip onto the board, or have it installed as an add-on by the store you're purchasing it from (usually an extra $15-20 or thereabouts).

The much more expensive SD2SNES adds on support for a handful of more obscure titles (such as Japanese Shogi games), Star Ocean (although it requires specialized decompressing), Mega Man X2 and X3. It also offers compatibility with a specialized "chip" that never actually existed, and effectively allows games to be, with some limitations, several hundred megs and have CD-like audio and low-res FMV. In a sense, what the SNES CD might have looked like had it actually been made. Of course no "official" games exist which use this, although some people have modified existing popular games, for example offering orchestral music in A Link to the Past, or reintroducing the "Anime" FMV sequences into Chrono Trigger.

For the NES just about every official game you're likely to know about will work, the incompatible ones tend to be obscure bootlegs, including things like the modern Final Fantasy VII NES game and the Action 52 (note: this is true for all systems, but bootlegs and special pirated games were very commonplace on the NES). Many late-NES-era games using advanced hardware instructions known as "Mapper 5" either don't work or don't work reliably, although Castlevania III, a popular game using this Mapper, does work OK. Also note that playing some "Famicom Disk System" and certain other Japan-released games with specialized sound hardware in the cartridge (e.g. Gimmick!) output their extra sound channels in a way which isn't wired up on Western NES systems, although front loaders can very simply having this re-added if you're willing to take the system apart, as it's just a simple resistor/potentiometer bridge between two points which are very large and can even be taped down instead of soldered if that's your preference.

The only notable exception outside of those systems if Japanese titles are excluded is the Genesis version of Virtua Racing, which used its own processor inside the cartridge. Note that you can boot the 32x version's ROM on a 32x no problem, as it's just using the stock 32x hardware.

Note that while attempting to get a "complete" set of games is ridiculous, trying to get them complete in box is an absolute fool's errand, and even internet celebrities with huge collections (who are themselves inadvertently responsible for the pricing bubble of retro games now) such as James "Angry Video Game Nerd" Rolfe don't attempt to get every or even most games like this. The only possible exception to this is if you're looking into purchasing Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, and DS games, as those have a huge glut of bootlegs (particularly for things like the Pokémon games), and are most often just the cartridge and shipping from somewhere in Southeast Asia or South America some other territory where the presence of Western games isn't likely in an official capacity; Complete-in-box (CIB) versions are more likely (although still not guaranteed) to be the real deal, which is important as a lot of the Pokémon games have sensitive extra hardware which doesn't work well in bootleg carts.

Only other common note is that official N64 controllers have extremely fragile sticks; their analog mechanism is poorly designed and grinds down with serious use, especially among speedrunners, serious Smash Bros. players, and people doing a lot of Mario Party spinning minigames, resulting in a loose stick, large deadzone, and a stick which no longer has the range of motion it should have (e.g. you can only walk in Mario 64). "New" condition controllers are very rare and extremely sought after, and thus very expensive, as are the few desirable third-party controllers like the Hori Tinybee. Although third-party controllers are plentiful even in some retail stores, they are almost universally terrible controllers.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Have you tried closing the thread, blowing on it, then reopenning it?

I don't want to get probated. :ohdear:

Also where is the Wonderwan section in the OP?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I dunno, I stopped buying PAL games a while ago and haven't looked back.

This should also be added to the OP, PAL stuff tends to be a goddamn nightmare.

Although I guess you don't get the experience of that Genesis Mickey Mouse game being cheeky about you futzing with the region switch if you go full-NTSC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

So I know the OP says that most retrogaming enthusiasts here use original hardware, but I've gotten into using a Raspberry Pi as a Neo Geo emulator given how loving expensive Neo Geo stuff is. Is there a USB arcade stick (not normal handheld controller) that is relatively cheap but also considered good? I know I could use one of the big expensive ones that competitive fighting game players use, but I don't need something with that much accuracy and that high of a price tag.

Two options:

1, if you can find them, are the WWE Brawl sticks, which are low-cost 360 and PS3 8-button arcade sticks. That used to be findable for like 30 bucks on clearance.

2. Also if you can find them are the USB controllers for the Neo Geo X, which are low-cost clones of the Neo Geo sticks. They're not fantastic but get the job done, and I think would be similarly priced (maybe up to $60), should be fairly easy to find.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

If the Vita takes off as an emulation device, get ready for a second wave of bitching about memory card prices.

Not as bad as the PSP's memory cards in its prime. I paid like $200 for an authentic 4 gig memory card back in those days. :gonk: :retrogames:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Already got my 64 gig :smug:

I got two, and a 32. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Also I think a 4 and a handful of 8's from coming with hardware.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheMcD posted:

With the amount of times I've had to deal with corruption on my 32GB Vita card, I'll stick with my GCW-Zero for my handheld emulation needs, thank you very much.

Really? For all the fuckery I've done with my Vitae I haven't really had anything like that happen. Weird.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

"If you're going to complain about the prices on our memory so much, why don't you just buy third party? Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha." -- Some Sony Exec in 1995 laying out their strategy for all of their electronics for the next twenty years.

Lest we forget, the Sony PS1 Memory Cards held 128 kilobytes and cost like $20+US. There haven't been many storage media formats with a higher per-kilobyte price in the entire history of computing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1996, though

Also I had a Monster Memory Card from like madcatz or some poo poo that was a solid megabyte

Ah yes, the multi-page memory cards. Those tended to be flaky as gently caress, though, I lost my saves once and immediately stuck with official Sony cards from then on, and used a Dexdrive to backup saves via glorious COM port connectivity on my PC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

I can just save my games on the cartridges themselves, no need to buy an extra memory card! :smug:

Nintendo was right.

Well, they would have been if memory cards and games requiring them weren't a thing on the N64. :psyduck:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Nah, they were $14.99 MSRP. PS2 memory cards were $24.99 MSRP, though.

In retrospect, the PSX's pricing schemes were pretty odd, since it was the first time that the MSRP on software went down across the board. Most games were $34.99-39.99, with Squaresoft games selling at $44.99-$49.99. It was one of the big reasons that the PSX had such a huge lead over the N64, since N64 games were $59.99+, with the Greatest Hits-style rereleases being sold for the "bargain" price of $39.99, as opposed to the PSX's GH line being $19.99.

Yeah. Once you got memory cards and an extra controller sorted (and eventually dualshocks), the bang-for-your-buck of the PS1 was ridiculous, especially in Canada where PS1 games were like $50-60 (with some GH games getting low as $10CAD) and N64 games could hit $90.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This reminds me I need to have my back looked at.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

well, fast games are not something I should attempt to stream, put it that way.

Truth be told videogames tend not to compress well for the way streaming works and the existing platforms like Twitch aren't very good for varied audiences unless you're a partner, and even then Twitch has a maximum bitrate which is far, far too low; watching most fighting game tournaments turns into a pixellated mess briefly regardless of whether or not you have a paid Twitch subscription and fantastic internet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah..I was testing it with JSR and camera movement made it devolve into RealPlayer quality. I need to gently caress around with the bitrate some, I'm pretty sure I can put it up a decent bit. Something to mess with over the weekend, if nothing else I guess!

Last I checked, Twitch peaks out at something like 3.5 megabits per second. That's very low for 1080p at 60 frames per second even in ideal circumstances when you consider that Blu-rays are typically 24 frames per second (although can do 60) and allow you to go up to 50 megabits per second. I think you can cheat the quality in various ways, such as limiting your broadcast to 720p and/or 30fps, having your layout of game screen/facecam/whatever else laid out in such a way that specific parts of the screen are compression-friendly, things like that. But at least with Twitch blockiness is inevitable, not sure if the alternatives like Youtube Gaming are better.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Good thing I'm only streaming ancient bullshit

Usually better (especially if you have a really clean output) but even those can do things that compression really doesn't like, especially garish color combinations and things like brick patterns scrolling in a platformer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

I'm saying it makes them look like how I played them on a 12" CRT with RF in and I won't have it any other way.

Nah, RF in would introduce noise requiring a higher bitrate. Your point stands if your younger time was prior to getting glasses you desperately needed, or if between you and the TV screen was an aquarium filled with watery vaseline.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

First 145 issues of Nintendo Power (everything pre-Gamecube) are now on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Anyone get the Super Famicom new3ds LL? I watched two unboxing videos and I still cannot tell if it's gross disgusting slippery glossy or beautiful comfortable wonderful matte.

Also I would love to see what the menu theme it comes with looks like but no one bothered showing it yet.

I ordered one but it only just shipped so I don't have it in-hand.

Anyway isn't it super-sold out everywhere?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I know it's region locked and the language can't even be changed but I am like 85% sure that the system can be hacked to get around all of that, though who knows what firmware it ships with.

The region locking you can sort-of circumvent with flash carts if the firmware matches but pretty sure the language is locked down, and don't expect to be able to run non-Japanese download-only games like the newer Ace Attorney games (although the Japanese trilogy of the first three games does include English as an option).

I'd be pretty shocked if I received it tomorrow, though. Can't even remember which shipping method I went with now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

or are collectors that weird

This is a question you have the ask as the OP of this thread?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I always like it when people say they "solved" a game instead of "finishing" it. It's quaint and amusing, as though they figured out who murdered Bowser or deduced who stole Peter Pepper's retirement money.

"Solved" actually has a crazier definition as far as games are concerned, at least turn-based two-player games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solved_game

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

In any case, I think we can both agree that region-locked handhelds are Dumb and Not Good.

Region-locked anything is dumb and not good, drat happy it's mostly behind us; Blu-ray uses it pretty sparsely, and UHD Blu-ray doesn't have region coding at all loving finally. There's just the odd quirk with PSN stuff on PS4, like in Street Fighter V, DLC is only usable by the purchasing account, and that account is restricted to playing in its home territory (NA, Europe, Asia).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Idk how much pi 3s are, but you could calculate exactly how much they're charging you for a case and a cheap SNES controller knock off.

I got mine for $54 Canadian shipped.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cliche Guevara posted:

Pain in the rear end to assemble and setup though? Will have to look into it. Would love to play some of these old gems in the N64 and PS1 libraries!

I don't get the impression that the SD card they send will have an image on it, but setting up RetroPie is dead easy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I was thinking of fun ways to break old games. Walk through walls codes for rpgs are always great for this. But I was just thinking. Are there any Game Genie or Code Shark codes for Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or even Earthbound where you can move your character no matter what? Meaning, even during "cut scenes"?

Good question and likely depends on programming nuances of the game in question. It's not uncommon for games to have the "cutscene" not technically using the "player" for its visible graphics, I think especially in cases where the characters perform actions with graphics you don't see in the normal game, although I could also see it being something like "the entire stack of code which controls movement/menus etc. is unloaded so more resources are available to make the cutscene extra fancy." This would mean it's not just flipping a switch. That said, some games do legit have bugs based around this kind of idea, like if you hit an action button or direction at a very precise time (like exact frame) you can sequence break an on-rails section or avoid a hotzone that triggers a cutscene, like in FF6 during the multi-storyline section in Locke's sequence, you can escape the city if you time it super-precisely and skip getting Celes entirely. It's a difficult but human-doable trick and common in speedruns of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7oZ6wZTqw

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 5, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also quite a few RPG's have one area where a "teleport to the last area/outside" spell/item will let you sequence break somehow. FF4 and Phantasy Star 3 definitely do, the latter being interesting because parallel to that it has an easter egg if you get "clever" and go massively out of your way to use the ability very early in the game, before the game "starts" properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srOqybBzNTA

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

That a shame to hear. I was tempted to get this since I got a Dreamcast for free a few years ago with all the cords and a controller (person tried to sell it to Gamestop and they refused so he stuck it on top of a trashcan) . It powers on just fine, but from what I can tell the disc drive doesn't' work since it had a included internet cd that wasn't being read.

fwiw with the Dreamcast this could just be the laser being misaligned, which is an "easy" (although tedious) fix if you've got nothing better to do and would get you a completely free DC to use with burned games.

Not sure if anyone has links handy, but there are two test CD's you can burn: one with data on the inner ring, and one with data on the outer ring, and you want to adjust a potentiometer internally, I think a 1/8 turn at a time or thereabouts, iuntil both discs "pass". IIRC the DC will eventually get out of alignment enough that this won't work, but it takes several adjustments' worth, and odds are good it's never been adjusted at all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

stuff like shutting down non-fiction books about the works is more upsetting to me, I heard nintendo did something like that a while back

They sent a legal notice to a Kickstarter which suspended the campaign, but there was a clear list of specific things Nintendo had a problem with. Said things were addressed, KS campaign resumed and finished I think something like 2 weeks later?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The AVS (built-from-the-ground-up NES/Famicom like the Analog NT) should be going up for pre-order today for $189USD.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

xamphear posted:

The difference is that the ANT uses the original CPU/PPU and the AVS uses... something else? SOAC? FPGA?

Not sure. I'm pretty sure it's not parts from gutted consoles, but at the same time it's apparently not an FPGA solution or anything like that.

Here's a video of it in action, the sound is wrong, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DpyU5qphI

Instant Sunrise posted:

So the Analogue NT is gutting original NES's for their chips?

That feels wrong somehow.

Yeah, and some people got super-mad about it, although they claim their parts are sourced from badly junked machines where not much else in them works. :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

I've had a prototype for over a year now and never noticed inaccurate audio (playing very casually), but that video does sound wrong to me somehow.

The channel which handles the explosion noise sounds wrong.

Pre-order is live but shipping is apparently murderous for non-Americans.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I bought the Super Famicom new 3ds two days ago from play Asia for $250. I refreshed the page this morning and it went up to $280. Then I refreshed it ten minutes ago and it's now at $310. I had no idea play Asia did that but I'm glad I clicked the purchase button when I did.

And it's $320 now, wowzers. For a minute I thought maybe they did that thing that airline and hotel websites do where they raise the price every time you refresh, but nope.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

28,000 Yen on amazon jp. I hope it comes to the west.

Looks like it's all third-party sellers, I don't think Amazon.co.jp ever stocked it proper. Incidentally, two things I've noticed about Amazon.co.jp:

1. Their prices seem to be trending slightly higher than other stores, I wonder if they got wise to people using them for importing from.
2. At least for more recent items that were available for general sale but in limited quantities, scalpers there have it down to a science, almost invariably the item's price will be "base price + 4000 yen" or thereabouts, really not much deviation that I've seen (give or take 1000 yen at most).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also I suspect a Y-Fold seal is more difficult to get into discreetly than a cheap heat-sealed plastic product, and this is a big loving deal for brick and mortar stores to combat shoplifting. I have memories of loving catalog after catalog focusing exclusively on anti-shoplifting technology.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

That's probably a bad habit to have but in this hobby it seems like prices are going up year after year for almost everything.

Seriously, prices may never come down again. It's like, whatever you can afford to get, get it now. We don't even have cheap Rakuten anymore.

Definitely be careful though, don't fall into an endless spending cycle.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

What the gently caress is shinesparking? I played through Metroid II (I used save-states. gently caress the old save system) on my retropie a few weeks ago and finished it so I must have done it but the term is new to me.

It's the speed boost mechanic which has various hidden features like pushing down and then infinite-diving in a direction until you hit a wall (stop) or slope (reverts to full speed running), and has a few really well-hidden items and easter eggs as a result.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

It wasn't in there originally, and fwiw it didn't have a name until Fusion and only if you did a very specific sequence break as I recall.

Yeah, there's a "point of no return" underwater area where you get the final door unlock, and eventually ice missiles, with no A.I. computer meeting between them. There is, however, an extraordinarily elaborate sequence you have to execute from several rooms away and involving a few detours where you execute and maintain the super-speed and effectively go back out the way you came. If you do this after getting the door unlock but before getting the ice missiles and then go to a nav room, the A.I. pretty much congratulates you for your boss-as-gently caress moves and then tells you to get back to the mission (so going once again into the underwater area and continuing forward).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

The last time I shine sparked was probably 12+ years ago, and I didn't particularly enjoy it then.

Oh well, gotta get that 100%

Fortunately the video linked above isn't a requirement for 100%, it's a total side thing, which is good since you have a narrow window of opportunity to get it and the skills required for it are insane, although the game does have plenty of easier-but-still-hard shinespark stunts you have to pull off to get some well-hidden missile packs and the like.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I never had to shine spark in fusion, but Zero mission required it for 100%

There was definitely one in Fusion that involved running back and forth on progressively-higher platforms which collapsed too quickly for non-shine sparking, but maybe there's a way to cheese it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kashuno posted:

I've never shine sparked in my life and have beaten every metroid game

Yeah, pretty sure it's never necessary to finish the game, but usually a handful of optional item packs (like missile packs, energy tanks and the like) could require it.

• Locked thread