Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

From a distance the Titus fox-head logo looks vaguely like a pentagram.
Appropriate. Their games were typically conduits for horrible demons to suck all the fun and enjoyment out of a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

azurite posted:

Not that it matters much, but does anyone know what emulator they use? I understand it's encapsulated in some 3D "hub," but I'm guessing it's based on GenesisPlus GX or Fusion.
It's an older emulator called jEnesis that was designed for the Nintendo DS, that Sega Europe seem to love licensing for some bizarre reason.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is the video about the Saturn stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The sun rises. The rain falls. Captain Rufus screams a whole bunch of words in reaction to someone insinuating that Nintendo may not have been founded and operated purely by candy-stealing Hitler clones.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Internet Archive has updated its big in-browser emulation collection with 2000 Amiga games, demos and other programs. These are using the AROS kickstart substitute, so there'll probably be incompatibilities, but hey, Deluxe Paint in your browser. Cool, I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Djarum posted:

Sadly I imagine a ton of Japanese stuff is likely lost forever. The Japanese consider paper media (newspapers, magazines, manga, etc.) disposable. After it is read they will throw it away or recycle it.

A bunch of US and Euro stuff is lost to time and we invented hoarding. I hate to think what is lost in Japan.
The Shmupulations guy has mentioned in the past that he's found shitloads of old magazines etc. from 1983-2003 at the Tokyo National Diet Library.

In entirely unrelated news, a friend of mine did a write-up and lengthy video recording of a FMV game that might as well be considered lost to time: Gooch Grundy’s X-Decathlon!

quote:

Enter Gooch Grundy’s X-Decathlon, the zero-to-hero sports fantasy of your deepest nightmares and a triumphant disaster on every imaginable level. Top to bottom, from its concept to execution, the game’s freaky version of an international sports championship straddles the line between horrible and wonderful. It shouldn’t work, but because you can sample the game at your own pace as you find most entertaining, it endures as a stupid miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCaGyQsNzE

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

crimzon clover is a rare modern bullet hell game that's also super good & I encourage anyone who thinks that subgenre is poo poo to get it on steam or whatever because it will surprise and delight you
Make sure you get the alternate soundtrack DLC, though! The default soundtrack sucks.

Allen Wren posted:

...what is SFX?
A Dreamcast port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo released only via mail-order, with some additional features over the previous console releases and support for online play using dial-up modems via a "Matching Service" that's been closed down for over a decade.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

My posts are quality and full of knowledge, wisdom, and balance.
The false advertising in this sentence is so immense I'm pretty sure Sony just released it to retail.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The folks behind the Analogue NT have announced a successor, the Analogue NT Mini.

The original system used hardware salvaged from a stock of old Famicoms with hosed up cases, limiting the amount that could be made, while the new system uses Kevtris's FPGA core on a more powerful FPGA chip, allowing both traditional 240p analog output along with 1080p HDMI output. It'll be US$449 with a wireless controller packed in, limiting it to the kind of weirdo obsessives who... well... post in this thread, really. :v:

Lotta NES clones popping up lately.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Not a huge deal, but would it be my NES or TV that Mario's sound is a little...off. Not in rhythm or time but it's like it's been slightly pitch shifted
If you're using a flash cart, you might be running a PAL ROM. PAL (european TV standard) consoles ran at a different speed, and games compensated for that in different, weird ways with varying degrees of success. When ran on an NTSC system, they might run faster than intended, or with higher-pitched/higher-tempo audio.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm not happy with how all this poo poo is fast approaching the realm of fetishism and kitsch.
It crossed that line decades ago.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wow, that's awesome. Is there any way to play Super Game Boy games on an emulator? I really want to play Donkey Kong 94 portably with the border and colors and better sound effects.
bSNES/Higan and Bizhawk both do "true" Super Game Boy emulation, in that it uses both a Game Boy and a SNES emulator core so it can do more than just borders. I don't know how VBA-M handles it, I haven't used it for a long time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A friend of mine interviewed a former Maxis employee who headed up the somewhat controversial SimHealth and the Chevron training tool SimRefinery. Here's a sentence from that interview that will cause TheRedEye to spontaneously combust in fury.

quote:

We built another simulation called SimElection. The sponsor, who I won’t name, was horrified when it came out! I made the mistake of bragging that SimElection would help people to understand that given enough money and a dog that looked like Rin Tin Tin, you could make Rin Tin Tin become the president. And they were horrified and shocked and said, “We can’t have our name associated with that!” And they actually had it destroyed, the entire stock, the entire product.

No copies. No copies survived.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bizhawk has updated! The new version boasts large improvements to NES and Atari 2600 emulation accuracy, alongside the usual minor bugfixes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

as cool as it is (esp. a physical re-release of garegga) playing vertical arcade shooters on a 16:9 TV makes me want to kill myself, if you get these do yourself a favor and hook it up to a computer monitor you can tate (I assume there's no easy way to hook up a PS4 to a 4:3 CRT or anything like that, they're HDMI with 16:9 resolutions only right?)
At least Gargegga's making the most of the unused screen real-estate by detailing the crazy ranking system.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

azurite posted:

Mednafen. You can either get Mednafen itself, Retroarch, or Bizhawk. They all include it.
I'm surprised the PCE emulation discussion continued after this post by discussing some ancient piece of deliberately-hobbled shareware in any level of depth beyond "lmbo".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
While the forum was having its quarterly heart attack, PPSSPP v1.3 was released! New features include support for texture replacement (for ill-conceived high-res texture pack mods), some basic TAS functionality and "half a year's worth of fixes".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

XYZ posted:

Comedy option: World's tiniest MAME cab :v:
One of the Adafruit guys actually did this. The screen is a little under an inch in size!

Granted, it's not very fun to actually play, but it's a cute little thing intended to inspire other DIY folks to make gadgets.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
NoE released a trailer for the EU NES Classic.
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/781735356450217984

It seems to imply that both 50hz and 60hz versions of games will be playable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is what the UI for the NES Classic looks like:

Certainly not a fan of the colorscheme in comparison to the Famicom Mini's variant.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I humbly refuse to license my work out to rights holders for respectable re-releases and use the money to make my UI Anything Remotely Resembling Usable, because otherwise I wouldn't be an Internet Piracy Hero. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Part of the nostalgia for FF6, I'd imagine, is that it was a huge visual leap from previous games in the series. FF4, the previous US release, hews a lot closer to the NES era visually then it does the SNES, wheras FF6 introduced more animated and expressive party members, more detailed monsters, dramatic visual effects and backgrounds based off of digitised photographs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ScummVM has updated, boasting support for Myst, the first couple entries of the very early Sierra Hi-Res Adventure series, and whatever the hell this is, along with a general switch over to SDL2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In historical news, the Ubisoft folks dug up a piece of history that was previously considered lost forever...

Michel Ancel posted:

Incroyable !!!! We have found the old unique SNES Rayman ROM !!!! It was sleeping since 24 years ..... Time to wake it up !!!!

Michel Ancel posted:

It's working !!!! 4 people in the world have seen this . We thought it was lost , but somewhere in the cold electronic circuit , something was still alive . and running at full 60fps !!! should do a Switch version of this 😂

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

Hope it's not uncouth to ask, but what is the best SNES emulator at this point? Still using ZSNES but starting to notice some sound quality issues.
bSNES/Higan is the most well-developed and accurate at this point, but it has heavier system requirements than you may expect. It's also built into many of the multi-emulator-core apps that float around nowadays, like RetroArch and such. I personally use BizHawk.

If your computer is unable to comfortably handle bSNES, SNES9X is more lightweight while still being more accurate than ZSNES.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nintendo posted up some interviews about the NES Classic and some of the games in it, similar in vein to the old Iwata Asks interviews. You've probably seen a news article about an unofficial translation of the first one before hand, but here it is anyway...
Donkey Kong with Miyamoto
Balloon Fight with Sakamoto
SMB1 and 3 with Miyamoto, Tezuka and Koji Kondo

They've also uploaded the original printed instruction manuals for each game on the platform, along with their boring modern digital manuals. Its fun to look at all the little drawings in these things!
NES Classic
Famicom Mini

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Star Man posted:

What's next, nostalgia for the N-Gage?
Captain Rufus has this more than covered.

I got to play a NGage at PAX AUS. It's... strange. The word that kept coming to mind while playing it was "shoehorned". Everything was poorly shoved into the context of an old Nokia.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Somewhat relevant considering what it was mostly used for: The Wii Homebrew Channel has been open-sourced to celebrate the Wii's 10th birthday.

This source code release has the "security" that was intended to keep scammers from selling it stripped out (so you can run it on Dolphin... if you want... for some weird reason) and adds an aspect ratio fix when run on the Wii U. Which is, you know, nice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Where is that guy's pillow waifu
Who do you think took the photo?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You might remember a while back (rapidly approaching two years ago), Ed Fries (former Xbox exec) wrote a very lengthy piece about restoring an original Computer Space arcade machine. I only just found out that earlier this year, he wrote a second piece about restoring the extremely rare color version of Atari's Gotcha... the first color arcade game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkUgivTsWI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Until now I wasn't aware Dr. Mario was The Mom Game outside my own family. How strange.
Dr. Mario was Mum's Game Boy game. Tetris was Dad's.

Dad was pretty big on PC games and was kind of the patient-zero for my own love of games, showing me The Adventures Of Captain Comic when I was a little'un. He played a lot - a LOT - of single-player Diablo 2.

To this day, Mum has a bizarre love of games that'd probably make everyone here stop, blink, and take off their glasses in dramatic disapproval. Like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, and Bubsy 2. Nowadays she plays lots of Hidden Object games because, and I quote, "they're so poo poo, it's hilarious".

Come to think of it, most of my extended family were huge Wolfenstein 3D addicts in the early '90s. This explains an awful lot about my obsession with loudly rubbing up against walls made of bright blue stone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

The only drawback with having the Everdrive is deciding on what games to pick beyond the familar ones. Is there a decent system to try random games. Just seeing them on the list doesn't get me to just boot it up, especially if the page is nothing but ancient sports games. Shame the GBA Everdrive feature of picking a random game isn't on the other versions yet.
I don't think so. When I was watching someone do a Random Games stream with an Everdrive, they'd close their eyes and scroll down the list for a while before hitting a button. They had all their ROMs organized into alphabetical folders (A, B etc.) so they had to do this twice per game. It worked out reasonably enough.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Figures that the first I've heard of this peripheral is that it's being cancelled. Y'okay.

So the story goes, the peripheral was finished and ready to go in September 1994 (about a month before Ballz dangled onto shelves) when AT&T got cold feet and decided not to enter the games industry, dooming the peripheral.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

I don't have a PS4, but I've had occasion to browse through that section of the PS store recently and I'd forgotten about/missed how many cool games HAMSTER has put out under the Arcade Archives banner. Gradius II, Bubble Bobble, and the arcade version of Super Dodge Ball with the weird size discrepancy between team captains and the rest of the players were all surprises to me. I miss the days of all those 20+ game retro collections coming out, and these are quite a bit more money per game, but if the emulating job is less slapdash then some of these are definitely still worth it. Anyone taken the plunge?
Giant Bomb has a number of lengthy videos showcasing the Arcade Archives games, starting from before they escaped Japan. The gameplay skill showcased isn't exactly top of the heap, of course, but it should give you an idea of the feature set and emulation in these releases.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm a hardware junkie mostly, but dang does that emulator look slick.
FS-UAE is great, and I highly recommend it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

How bad is the Amiga on the "uses the unholy poo poo out of arpeggios" scale?
The cracktros on your Totally Legitimate .ADF dumps are typically as arpeggio-filled as you'd expect, but the games themselves typically aren't because the Amiga was where Tracker Music became a thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A new version of MAME has been released, adding a new cross-platform low-latency audio solution, support for linked Race Drivin' cabinets over TCP, as well as support for 36 new titles. Some of these are of course the usual clones and promotions from "not working" to "working", but there's some actual interesting new things in there - Tatakae! Big Fighter and Sky Robo by Nichibutsu are now playable, as well as the recently-dumped HOT-B prototype Hangzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHI0oak1Tas

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

It should have been difficult for Sega to whiff on the design of their 32-bit console as badly as they did, seeing how their Model 2 and 3 hardware ruled the high-end arcade market, but they managed somehow (although I suppose the arcade systems being co-designed by Lockheed Martin didn't help the team working on the consumer hardware).
The origin of Sega's arcade hardware isn't quite as cut-and-dry as that. Model 1 was developed entirely internally at Sega. For Model 2, Sega went to GE Aerospace (who would later become a part of Lockheed Martin through a series of acquisitions) and licensed a US$2 million texture-mapping chip from their expensive flight simulator hardware, which was then squeezed down by Sega to the point where it could be manufactured for $50 and combined with Fujitsu DSPs running custom Sega-authored microcode.

Sometime that was either near the end of '95 or the start of '96, the team that developed that Model 2 chip at GE was spun off into a seperate company, Real3D, which developed a full-fledged GPU for the Model 3. The story goes that Real3D were also working on a "Saturn 2" using a consumer version of their Model 3 tech, but for various reasons the project was dropped in favor of the 3DFX-powered "Black Belt", which in turn was dropped in favor of the PowerVR-based "Katana" that became the Dreamcast. Real3D was closed shortly after.

Shadow Hog posted:

I know Yabause is still kinda assy (but much better than it was ten years ago, at least), and don't really know how Mednafen fares at the moment...
The Mednafen core is also in RetroArch. I don't know if it's technically better than SSF, but I tried Quake and Duke 3D in it (since Yabuse typically hasn't handled them gracefully) and they were fine, so...

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm still surprised that Capcom decided to make the GC the primary platform for REmake, RE Zero and RE4. Eventually ports came out for other systems, but for a long time, they were GC-exclusive.
Capcom was big on the GameCube and wanted to consolidate the entire RE series onto one platform. A strange decision, to be sure, but can you really argue with the results...?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

PC, I assume.
The 2014 HD version, to be specific. The first PC port is... not as good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sega apparently dumped nearly 50 soundtrack CDs onto Spotify recently. It's a pretty impressive selection, covering a little bit of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Today, the MAME project celebrates its 20th birthday.

http://mamedev.org/?p=438
http://mamedev.org/?p=439

• Locked thread