Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Code Jockey posted:

Might go get another one of those 2x4 Ikea bookshelf things

I'm redoing my whole room with Ikea Ivar shelves, and I highly recommend them. It's the cheapest modular shelving option they have and much nicer than the lovely black particle board WalMart media shelves I was previously using.

RodShaft posted:

Nail polish display racks.
https://youtu.be/oreOa_rIUj0

Video Game Connection in Cleveland uses plastic compartment boxes(like for fishing lures) with the dividers out of them and the lids off to display gameboy games and hucards. Makes flipping through them easy.

YouTube's blocked for me at work, but I assume you mean those tiered racks, and those look like they'd work perfectly. Thanks!

Hopefully when this is all done it'll finally feel like a gaming library and a nice little space to relax in, instead of a bunch of random poo poo haphazardly crammed into too small a space.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I got one of those acrylic nail polish racks like people suggested from the MyLifeInGaming video. I have GBA games on it right now and some doubled up until I get time to rearrange, but you could imagine how a well organized one can look:

You can do 5x7 for GB/GBC games, or 5x11 for GBA games. They are deep enough to double up games (like I have my Link's Awakening DX cart over my regular Link's Awakening cart), and you can double up GBA games too by just flipping one to face the opposite way. However, if you want neat organization, just buy multiples.

Yeah, even doubled up with the GBA games on their side, it doesn't look bad. Either way, it's better than keeping a significant portion of my game collection in plastic bags in my closet when I had a solution for everything else.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I want to say nice effort, but your blatant disregard for scansion offends my sensibilities.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I like Final Fantasy Adventure and Sword of Mana and Adventures of Mana.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Not a Children posted:

Please explain your affection for sword of mana

I'll be honest—I never finished it because there was something wrong with my cart and it froze quite a bit (or else the game was just like that), so if it got really poo poo toward the end, I never got to experience that. Aside from that and some of the sidequests being stuff you couldn't possibly figure out without a guide, I didn't have any problems with it. I liked how it wasn't a straight remake and fleshed out/put a new spin on characters and events from the original game. I'd much rather play it again than Legend of Mana.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 26, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Legend of Mana had a neat art style and I liked the world map design part (although the mechanics of it were really opaque), but it played horribly. It was trivially easy, and even if it weren't, the gameplay just felt stiff and awkward, like the designers weren't entirely sure whether they wanted to make an action RPG or not. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember the dungeon design being extremely lazy too—just bland hallways filled with repetitious enemy encounters you steamrolled through by holding forward and mindlessly tapping the attack button. There was no incentive to using special moves or magic except wanting to see the animation, I guess.

Couple that with the disproportionate, irrational hatred for mediocre/flawed games that comes with being a teenager and... yeah. 0/10, this game is garbage, ruined my life and I'll hate it forever. The way people who hated Chrono Cross felt about Chrono Cross—that's how I felt about Legend of Mana.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Despite my distaste for Legend of Mana, I really miss that era of Square. It was exciting at the time to have the Final Fantasy company coming out with a space shooter, fighting games, survival horror, a kart racer...

And there's honestly not anything from that era I'd call terrible goodwill-poisoning poo poo besides Legend of Mana, The Bouncer, and I guess Chrono Cross if you were a rabid Chrono Trigger fan dying for a sequel.

(When I played Chrono Cross for the first time, it was before I played ChronoTrigger. When I played it the second time, it was after I played Radical Dreamers. So I've always kinda loved it in spite of its flaws.)

Edit: And Final Fantasy VIII, which I'd apparently almost blocked out of my memory. I'd rather give Legend of Mana another shot.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 26, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Mak0rz posted:

FF8 isn't perfect but calling it a lovely game just because you didn't understand the mechanics and wasted a summer playing it wrong is a bit much.

I'd almost argue that FF8 is a shittier game when you do understand the mechanics. Using the junction system to its fullest potential removed all challenge from the game, and it's definitely not a game you continue playing for the story (at least after a certain point in Disc 2).

I liked Ehrgeiz, but I've never been really proficient in fighting games—3D fighters in particular—so I was probably blind to a lot of its flaws. I remember liking it more than Tekken 3, less than Soul Blade, and finding the dungeon mode a lot of fun.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Ofecks posted:

I have one of those and unfortunately it's a hollow-feeling flimsy piece of poo poo. And the d-pad, while nice and responsive, feels rather cheap and I don't expect it to last much more than a couple years of regular use.

OK, so what is the best general purpose PC gamepad then, for retro and modern games? I need to replace my Xbox 360 controller since the left stick is drifting, and I'm not getting an Xbox One controller since I prefer wired and it's ludicrous to spend $70 on a gamepad anyway.

Are there any particularly good 3rd party 360 controllers?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I ended up going with an XBox One controller after all. No idea why I thought they were $70—I must have been looking at limited edition colors before, or something.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Silhouette posted:

ERRNT VWEET ERRRNT ERRRRNNNNNT VWEEET ERRNT VWEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I rarely play my Dreamcast, so every time I go back to it, it gives me a few seconds of "oh God, it's broken" panic before I remember that's actually what it's supposed to sound like. I swear, a dying model 1 Sega CD sounds less alarming than a properly working Dreamcast.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Code Jockey posted:

a number of those multi system composite / svideo / component cables

I am slightly frightened by the prospect of how many of these I am going to find when I finally get around to organizing all my retro game stuff.

And I really do need to get around to that. I've misplaced my original Xbox, for gently caress's sake.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 23, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Magic Knight Rayearth is a very decent action RPG, but nothing exceptional. It's colorful and charming in that Working Designs way, has a bafflingly large amount of extra dialogue for examining inconsequential objects, and has some well-designed boss fights. It was my last major Saturn purchase, and I want to say I bought it in 2012 and paid about $80 for a disc-only copy (Fuu disc art, if you were curious). No regrets.

Far more essential is Legend of Oasis, which is still going for around $50 on eBay. It's a mystery to me why this game never blew up the way other quality Saturn titles did. I'd go as far as to call it my favorite Saturn game not by Treasure, and as far as Zelda-like puzzly action-adventure games go, it's about as good as Alundra, if not better. It has a hidden two-player mode that lets you sequence break by using the other player as a platform. You need this game in your life.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 27, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
If action RPGs count, you can finish Beyond Oasis in 15 hours, and Light Crusader in probably half that. I've played both in recent years and think they've held up well.

For the life of me, I can't think of a bite-sized traditional 16-bit RPG though, because there was inevitably grinding to pad out the content.

Edit: Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG do move by rather quickly, but I wouldn't count on finishing either in a couple of evenings, especially if it's your first time playing them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Grapeshot posted:

I'm tempted to buy a Philips CD-I off Craigslist but I know it's a dumb idea and a waste of money. He only has the IR remote and I don't think I want to patch together a real control solution with an Arduino and pin headers shoved in the controller port. If I don't get it I probably won't see one locally again though.

In case you decide to waste your money anyway, make sure you know whether or not it has the digital video cartridge, and look up a guide for replacing the timekeeper battery.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Luigi Thirty posted:

Speaking of that I got my flash cartridge for the Jaguar in yesterday. Now I can play all 4 good games.

Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Alien vs Predator, _________?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I decided to start a new game in the much-reviled Sword of Mana to see if it was worse than I remembered and my affection for it was misplaced.

Here's what's wrong with it:

1. The partner AI is dumb as gently caress. Setting them to use magic at all results in them blowing through their MP attacking enemies indiscriminately, so under computer control they are useless for anything other than short-range attacks. But you'd better set them to stay behind, because of the meatballs metaballs that can only be destroyed by a specific weapon. This means nothing to the AI partner, who wants nothing more than to commit suicide by repeatedly running into them. Switching control to the partner inflicts your main character with the same stupid AI, so this is always a risk. It's especially bad if you need to switch to your partner to use healing magic, as your main character will just randomly wander outside the range of the spell as you cast it.

2. There's a character class system that is not explained in-game at all. When you distribute stats at level up, it seems like a good idea go with Monk at first because it has the biggest attack power gains. But put 5 levels into Monk and suddenly you are a Grappler, all your future class changes will be an improved version of that, and you can never be anything else. Didn't want to specialize in knuckles, because it's the shortest-ranged weapon in the game, and you won't even have it for another three hours? Too bad! I've never had the manual, so I don't know if classes are explained in there, but this is a case of an actually good system made frustrating because you can't understand it, or even know it exists, without consulting a guide. I ended up restarting because of this, and because I wanted to see the story from the other character's perspective.

3. Poorly thought-out side quests. Upon arriving in the second town, if you go to the inn, there's a knight who asks you to find him a Glittering Sword (a rare drop from an enemy outside of town, and I'm not sure if it drops until you've picked up the quest). If you're playing as the Heroine, and proceed into the cathedral for the very next story event, you've completely missed your opportunity to complete this quest, and missed out on an entire game-spanning quest chain. I mean, I've played the Suikoden series, and I'm very used to unfair quests with small windows of opportunity, but this is the only case I can think of where you can irrevocably gently caress up an important sidequest seconds after acquiring it.

But despite all that, the core gameplay is satisfying, it's a very pretty game by GBA standards, the remixed soundtrack is absolutely excellent, the story is charming in an overwritten, fanfictiony sort of way, and overall it feels like a much more ambitious and engaging remake than Adventures of Mana.

Long story short, I am now concurrently playing two save files of Sword of Mana, having an absolute blast, and can't wait to get off work so I can go back to it. And this pulled me away from Sonic Mania, the only Sonic-related anything I have genuinely liked since the Genesis. I have weird priorities.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It reminds me a lot of the fan remake of King's Quest II, of all things. Both games tried way too hard to weave an epic narrative where every character was connected in some complex fashion out of a straightforward video gamey plot. Also both games had a thing for tragic vampires.

I can't wait to see what the melodramatic payoff is going to be from not killing off Willy at the very beginning of the game. :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

univbee posted:

All (or almost all?) the Saturn version's features got carried into the secret PSP version of SotN (it's a hidden unlockable in Dracula Chronicles X). Although this one features a new English script and dialogue.

PSP version has the Maria boss fight (I can't remember if it's the same fight as the Saturn version's), but not the Underground Garden and Cursed Prison. It's really no big loss, because those areas were poorly designed, but there are at least a couple of neat weapons that remain exclusive to the Saturn version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think that's the arcade version under the title Battle Rangers. The TG-16 version, if I remember correctly, is unfortunately much more coherent.

• Locked thread