Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rirse posted:

Okay yeah I see what you mean about the VMU working just fine in the controller. Also got my Dreamcast working on my five dollar classic CRT monitor, which it looks CRAZY good on it. Only thing is, I heard some games don't work in VGA mode, is there a solution besides RGB which I just waiting on the HD Retrovision Dreamcast adapter for that.

Remember to make a VGA bootdisk since there's a handful of games that work fine in VGA mode, but can't actually launch in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Don't forget what comes after the beep guys, the whirr of the fan spinning up. Then it's grind grind grind. That is the full Dreamcast start up sound.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

All New Sonic posted:

Bangai-O is one of them :argh:

I think Skies of Arcadia is another, isn't it?

Phantasium posted:

Yeah they work fine just as standard memory cards without working batteries, you're just going to hear the trademark beep every time you turn the system on.

I think it needs to mentioned that even Sega are aware of this being the case, because the 3DS Dreamcast theme will actually do the VMU dead-battery beep and noisy disk spinup when it starts :allears:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
AGES does it in Sonic Transformed too, when he shifts to boat form. If you hit a wall it does the disc grind, too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think Skies of Arcadia is another, isn't it?

I think it needs to mentioned that even Sega are aware of this being the case, because the 3DS Dreamcast theme will actually do the VMU dead-battery beep and noisy disk spinup when it starts :allears:.

Proof if you need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakXXcPfmak

I almost got that theme but because the Genesis one uses the North American Sega CD bios music as the background song so I got that one instead.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

Don't forget what comes after the beep guys, the whirr of the fan spinning up. Then it's grind grind grind. That is the full Dreamcast start up sound.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

whoooosh doot doo doot dee dee doot dah

ERRNT VWEET ERRRNT ERRRRNNNNNT VWEEET ERRNT VWEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HEY HEY COME ON OVER AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH CRAAAZY TAXI!

^ THAT is the proper full Dreamcast startup sequence :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Alternatively, the Soul Calibur intro except changed so that every segment is Lizardman.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Phantasium posted:

Alternatively, the Soul Calibur intro except changed so that every segment is Lizardman

:stare:

If every Soul Calibur intro isn’t Voldo it should be.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rirse posted:

Okay yeah I see what you mean about the VMU working just fine in the controller. Also got my Dreamcast working on my five dollar classic CRT monitor, which it looks CRAZY good on it. Only thing is, I heard some games don't work in VGA mode, is there a solution besides RGB which I just waiting on the HD Retrovision Dreamcast adapter for that.
There's a hardware trick that amounts to just flipping the adapter switch at the right time; use at your own risk but I've done it myself with no issues. https://youtu.be/LEggdHKGuK4

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

If every Soul Calibur intro isn’t Yoshimitsu it should be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silhouette posted:

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

HEY HEY COME ON OVER AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH CRAAAZY TAXI!

^ THAT is the proper full Dreamcast startup sequence :v:

Weeeeeere BACK! It's Crazy Taxi TWO!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

If every Soul Calibur intro isn’t Voldo it should be.

Voldo... was defeated... but the soul still burns...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Silhouette posted:

I rarely play my Dreamcast, so every time I go back to it, it gives me a few seconds of "oh God, it's broken" panic before I remember that's actually what it's supposed to sound like. I swear, a dying model 1 Sega CD sounds less alarming than a properly working Dreamcast.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
It's thinkingdying :ssh:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If your Dreamcast doesn't sound like some kind of sci-fi jet engine, you should be concerned

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

sinepost posted:

Agreed, plus you're not getting the true DC experience unless it's making that annoying VMU beep every time you turn it on

Silhouette posted:

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

It's so iconic that it was in the Dreamcast 3ds Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakXXcPfmak

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wamdoodle posted:

It's so iconic that it was in the Dreamcast 3ds Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakXXcPfmak

There's a picture of them booting an actual DC in a recording studio, just to properly replicate everything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha, Red Bull put up an arcade machine at my local supermarket for promotion. You can play a rousing game of Windjammers between the dairy and snack aisles.

Well, I say arcade machine. I didn't take a picture, cause we've all seen emulated Neo Geo games stretched to widescreen on an LCD with no shaders.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haha, Red Bull put up an arcade machine at my local supermarket for promotion. You can play a rousing game of Windjammers between the dairy and snack aisles.

Well, I say arcade machine. I didn't take a picture, cause we've all seen emulated Neo Geo games stretched to widescreen on an LCD with no shaders.

not using original Neo Geo hardware is blasphemous.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

not using original Neo Geo hardware is blasphemous.

Look, the extra $200 to get a real Windjammers cart is outside their budget.

(Come on Darksoft, hurry up with your flashcart so i can flip my windjammers for one)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Has anyone made an attempt to hack the roms in those 161 carts to remove a fighting game and plop in windjammers instead?

Seems like you could dump one of the roms, hack it in, solder in new rom. Or just someone that speaks Chinese to ask whoever actually makes them?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

falz posted:

Has anyone made an attempt to hack the roms in those 161 carts to remove a fighting game and plop in windjammers instead?

Seems like you could dump one of the roms, hack it in, solder in new rom. Or just someone that speaks Chinese to ask whoever actually makes them?

Surprisingly, this has been asked many times over the years (I'd love some other games on there in including WJ), but alas, it's NEVER happened.

I'm waiting for the DS cart too, this poo poo has gotten ridiculous as far as prices have gone.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
The people behind Goldeneye X have finally released Goldfinger 64.
I haven't had a chance to actually try it out, but it should run on an everdrive and sounds pretty impressive. Though it also sounds like there are still some bugs and few levels might not be 100% complete.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Awesome, thanks bud.

I saw the "Universal Game Case" which I was apathetic towards due to no tabs to hold the manual. I'll look into these as well. Most likely he's just marking them up in order to cover for his custom printed art and stuff, which isn't as scummy at least as it can be made out to be.

Ninja E: Wait, what the poo poo?! These have the custom art and everything. Is he seriously just effectively a reseller? Also, this dude needs to work on his web page, it loads like rear end.

It looks like GameCaseKing also does a cool thing where because they are clear cases, he prints "inner" artwork as well, for the inside of the case. It does not look like customgamecases does that, unfortunately.

e: does anybody know what filter Sonic Mania uses for the sharp CRT option? I absolutely hate fake scalines but this is incredible! Why aren't any emulators using this? It makes me think of what it would look like if you played games on one of those gigantic LED billboards. I love it. Why is it unique to this game??

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 17, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Daddys hot grill posted:

I haven't had a chance to actually try it out, but it should run on an everdrive and sounds pretty impressive. Though it also sounds like there are still some bugs and few levels might not be 100% complete.

There is a tremendous lag between "Start Game" and the first level loading up.

I couldn't get off the dock.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Alucardd posted:

Look, the extra $200 to get a real Windjammers cart is outside their budget.

(Come on Darksoft, hurry up with your flashcart so i can flip my windjammers for one)

How much do they think Darksoft's cart will be? The NeoSD is too expensive.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Any tips on how to clean Gamecube controllers up? I bought 4, but 2 of them ended up being pretty bogus. 1 of them has an analog stick that doesn't read right correctly and the other lost its rubber nub on top.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
A friend of mine made this and I thought it was neat.

Of course, most of us just hit the actual Power Pad buttons with our hands anyway.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Guess who's getting a new net city cab? Not flyboi :emo:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Of course, most of us just hit the actual Power Pad buttons with our hands anyway.

This is fantastic.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kid Fenris posted:

That's cool, I kind of want to make one with 100mm popn music buttons

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Daddys hot grill posted:

Going to try this in OpenEMU first, but if it works I may finally have the catalyst to get an Everdrive64 (own most of the games I'd want anyway)

Ugh, I hate having to patch my own poo poo. Just looking at the page for the Goldeneye setup editor is making my head spin... too tired for it tonight

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 17, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Code Jockey posted:

That's cool, I kind of want to make one with 100mm popn music buttons

if you use the sanwas itll only cost 480 dollars for the buttons

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Tried to buy a framemeister but my card was auto declined for some reason. I assume relating to it being a foreign web site out something. Gonna have to call my bank on Monday.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Tree Dude posted:

Tried to buy a framemeister but my card was auto declined for some reason. I assume relating to it being a foreign web site out something. Gonna have to call my bank on Monday.

Ya, mine does that on foreign websites (like when I ordered the SNES classic from France). Luckily I got a text asking if I tried to make a legit purpose, and I could just text back yes and then was able to order again successfully. You just need to make sure your card doesn't charge you for foreign currency purchases, that could be up to 3% on some cards.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

I want that so goddamn bad.

In unrelated news, I am trying to set up FB alpha (mostly for the turbografx and colecovision functionality) and even when I point the thing directly at the rom folders, it doesn't recognize any of them. Does anyone have any experience with this software? (Yes, the romset and the emulator version numbers match)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 17, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was trying out some Saturn games tonight...wow Burning Rangers is totally my jam. What are some other quirkly games like that for the Saturn and Dreamcast?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zand posted:

if you use the sanwas itll only cost 480 dollars for the buttons

hence why I have not replaced the buttons in my aging controller. :retrogames:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Rirse posted:

Was trying out some Saturn games tonight...wow Burning Rangers is totally my jam. What are some other quirkly games like that for the Saturn and Dreamcast?

Try Mr Bones on Saturn. It's a bunch of ultra quirky mini game-ish stuff. You'll love or hate it but there's nothing else like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

FireMrshlBill posted:

Going to try this in OpenEMU first, but if it works I may finally have the catalyst to get an Everdrive64 (own most of the games I'd want anyway)

Ugh, I hate having to patch my own poo poo. Just looking at the page for the Goldeneye setup editor is making my head spin... too tired for it tonight

This program is simple and friendly, just use the lite version in the download.

• Locked thread