Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I tried the new Vita homebrew exploit and it's super easy. Tried a SNES emulator and a GBA emulator. The GBA emulator is really rough. Sound is bad and the game I tested (Max Payne) was really slow. Tried the SNES emulator and played Super Metroid and Super Mario World and it worked great. It's a lot better than the PSP based emulation of the SNES which relied on the Media Engine which is available in a real PSP but not in the emulated PSP layer on the Vita (so the existing PSP SNES emulators on vita run like poo poo).

The screen on the Vita is so much nicer than the PSP. Glad I have a new handheld emulation machine, and things like GBA emulators are only going to get better. I'd love to see what this thing can do with DS games in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

cosmicjim posted:

My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle. She was skeptical at first when I pretty much made her try it. I stayed with her during the beginning and helped her when she got stuck. Then she started playing it while I was at work too. Her biggest obstacles ended up being puzzles that required you to talk to people over and over. I had to remind her several times about that. She got stuck on Fred and the contract and then purple Tentacle at the end.

My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

My 11 year old daughter is obsessed with Undertale and I was watching her play it the other day and noticed how much it reminded me of Earthbound so I set up a SNES emulator for her and she's been playing Earthbound a ton over the past couple days. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Code Jockey posted:

I'm glad I haven't touched Metroid since Super Metroid

e. unless you count Axiom Verge :v:

The GBA one is good. And the other GBA one that is a remake.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crimson Harvest posted:

:( the ibuffalo SNES pad I bought for my Retropie gives ghost d-pad inputs when I'm not pushing any buttons. Anyone else have this?

I had that happen as well. It always registers the d-pad as an axis rather than buttons which seems strange to me so I suspect something is loose in there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What the gently caress is shinesparking? I played through Metroid II (I used save-states. gently caress the old save system) on my retropie a few weeks ago and finished it so I must have done it but the term is new to me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ah I don't remember having to do any of that in Metroid 2 on the gameboy. I haven't tried the remake yet

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a 32 inch Philips CRT HDTV about ten years ago and man do I miss that TV. All my old consoles looked great, had my computer hooked up through vga, it didn't have HDMI but had a couple component inputs and when viewing HD stuff it was miles ahead in picture quality in comparison with the LCDs and rear projection screens of the time.

Before that I had a really lovely one from a brand called Prima that had geometry issues and bad flickering so all CRT HDTVs weren't good but that Philips was amazing. I loved to England and couldn't take it with me and when I moved back to the states technology had moved on and CRT based HDTVs didn't really exist anymore.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Woke up this morning to find my 11 year old daughter playing earthbound. A good day.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm a big fan of the Sega CD Terminator music, as well as the music in Rondo of Blood. F-Zero too. Video game music was awesome back then.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For town music nothing beats the music from Diablo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I picked up a used Wii U for cheap and I really like the nostalgia it's got in a lot of games. The Wii and U New SMB games, Mario maker, and NES remix 1 & 2. None of it is exactly retro but it's all nostalgic and great. Add in the virtual console, a hacked wii side featuring nintendont for GameCube iso compatibility and it's an awesome system that I wish I hadn't ignored for so long.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I remember "buy back games" being pretty good in the Denver area all through my childhood and the into 2004 (when I left the area).

Most recently (2004) I bought a euro copy of shenmue 2 for the dreamcast for $20 there, as well as some obscure dreamcast soccer game UEFA Striker.

If they are still around they are probably a good place to check out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that there were a couple of Japanese games that were obscenely rare on that level as well, but it's a sweet find.

Let me throw this question out there: what's the most cheerful game you can think of to go back and play? Not for nostalgia, but actually cheerful gaming?

For me it's Katamari Damacy. You can't be sad while you're rolling things up.

Final Lap Twin

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Picked up this tv last night off a sidewalk and bought a model 1 (HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS YO) genesis with composite cables, AC adapter, OEM 3 button controller and Sonic 1 for $40.

The tv seems pretty nice, especially for roadside free.

How long is the shipping from krikzz to the US usually for everdrives? Also are the extra features of the mega everdrive x7 worth the extra $$ over the x5? The only thing that interests me is the save states but I don't think it "double the price" interests me. Is there something else the x7 does that I'm not thinking about?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm still using the Everdrive v3 without issues, so the x3/5's probably fine. It has the instant loading and it can load all but one retail released Genesis/SMS/32X game.

If you intend to get a Sega CD the x5's probably the better choice.

Minor things to note, if you have a 3rd party AC adapter check that it actually puts out at least 1amp, or it won't actually be able to power the newer Everdrives.

Balls. It is a 3rd party and it only puts out 350ma.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm actually surprised it's running the Genesis with that, since my Model 1 won't boot with those really weak ones.

I'll just end up ordering the everdrive and a power adapter from stone age gamer because it looks like shipping will be faster than krikzz and they have a 1.2a power supply for $8.

And I do plan on getting a sega cd eventually. I live in Salt Lake City and there's a game shop called The Game Changerz (where I got the genesis) that actually sells retro stuff at decent prices so I'll be back there when they get a sega cd in.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok, I've got my genesis, directv box, and raspberry pi hooked up to my new CRT and got everything working alright. Each device is hooked up to the tv via composite cable. I'm getting some interference (purple horizontal noise lines that slowly scroll up the screen) when I'm playing the genesis. I tried moving things around to see if it was the raspberry pi's Bluetooth causing it and discovered that if I unplug the pi's composite cable from the tv the interference goes away. I'm not good with all of this analog stuff.

Is there anything I can do aside from unplug the pi when I'm playing games?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 25, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

99% it's the power supply for the pi.

Bingo. I had another one lying around and plugged it in and the noise is gone. This one has a ferrite core on it and the other one didn't. Probably makes all the difference.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really want a duo r but the only place I find them is on eBay for $300 from Japan and I'm sure that there's a source to get them for lower than that. Where should I look?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I was 12 my dad said he'd get me a Genesis as a reward if I got a good report card. I did get a good report card but he didn't follow through with the deal. Well, now 26 years later I can say "gently caress you dad, I got myself a Genesis."

I've been going through the library of games that I missed out on, finally playing the Streets of Rage series, Sonic, Zerowing (lol... but it's good), etc... Then I discover that at least 2 of my favorite NES games have genesis versions that are pretty good! Tecmo Super Bowl (and there's a 2016-2017 ROMhack) and RC Pro Am! What other NES classics were released in 16 bit form on the Genesis?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

also for some reason remember Jack in the Box burgers literally killing people; again I was in elementary school at the time and had no idea what Jack in the Box was, and anyone I ask my age has no clue what the hell I am talking about.

I remember it. There was an e-coli outbreak that killed a few people in the Pacific Northwest because of bad meat handling at the meat processing plant that the jack in the box restaurants in that region used. They closed restaurants in many cities because of the fallout and then in the late 90s changed their image and bounced back somewhat

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

al-azad posted:

finding weed in boxes.

Wait, what?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just noticed one of the screen mockups was cribbed in design from the Amazon Fire TV's Twitch app. :lol:

Well there's a little bit of purple, a sidebar, and tiles in the main area, but that's what a ton of modern video apps on set top boxes / streaming sticks look like. It doesn't stand out as a complete rip off to me. It looks pretty similar to a few kodi skins and the Xbox one ui too. Even looks a little like the Netflix app with a sidebar. It's just the modern design trend for apps designed to be presented on a tv.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Linking your own twitter is fine but serious question: why are you using the nes classic as a frame of reference for color? It's an emulator and thus not going to be accurate. Just go with what you think looks good.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There are game carts in those photos?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I replaced my Super Nintendo with a super famicom because it's cooler looking and man, what is with Japanese controller cords being so short? Do they usually have the console on the coffee table with cables running to the tv from there or do they just sit super close? I understand the houses being small and everything but these cables are only 4 feet long.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought a super everdrive, super famicom, 32x, and sega cd this week. I think I might have a problem. On the plus side I sold a Vita I never used and the SNES I replaced with the Super Famicom.

Now I just need an NES, an everdrive for it, a Duo R, and an everdrive for that and my collection will be complete. Until I come up with something else I need.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Djarum posted:

I need to buy another Genesis 6 button. It is so hard to find ones in good condition with non garbage rubber.

You might try the hyperkin ones. I have a couple and they are pretty good. Much cheaper than a crumbling 20 year old OEM controller too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Some of the model 1s like mine have rainbow banding on areas that are supposed to look transparent like the waterfalls in sonic 1. Where the model 1 shines is the sound chip is a bit nicer than the other revisions. I also have a 32x and that eliminates the rainbow banding. Some say it does that at a cost of some color saturation but I don't notice a difference in that at all, and if you do you can likely compensate for that by turning up the saturation on your tv.

I was lucky enough to find a 32x on eBay with the correct model 1 dongle for around $60 shipped.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rirse posted:

Speaking of which, is there a good price range for the Model 1 Sega CD? Whenever I tried looking for one on ebay, I get just pages selling it with the console.

I gave up looking because they were all like $180/200 and I didn't want to spend that much and then have to deal with a failing drawer mechanism down the road. Ended up getting a model 2 Sega cd and having it look all funky.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there 100% compatibility with PS1 games or will I run into a bunch of BS issues? Any forum posts from GBATemp I can find about like a hundred years old at this point.

Well there are control issues, there are no analog sticks on the psp where some games for ps1 use two. The "analog stick" on the psp is really just a different feeling d-pad, there's nothing analog about it. There's also no r2 and l2 triggers, analog or digital. So from that perspective there is not even close to 100% compatibility. As for how things run, it's not janky and everything I've tried runs and looks fine, beyond the control issues.

You'll want one of the earlier psps if you do go for it because the newer ones (and the Vita) emulate ps1 through software rather than hardware. On the vita you're also looking at third party emulators for ps1 that do introduce some jankiness.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

univbee posted:

Maybe, but that is some really terrible ROI if so. If I'm going to spend literally years hanging out in an online community with the intention of ripping everybody off, I'd want more than a few hundred dollars out of it.

It was probably not the long con. He saw an opportunity and figured he didn't care if he burnt the bridge.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I played the album Microscopic by Skinny Puppy side project Download while playing a pirated version of one of the quake 1 mission packs so much that when I went to replay them earlier this year the music they actually include just felt wrong.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
All of the Keith Courage talk prompted me to play it as I've never played it before and just got a duo R and an everdrive for it. It's pretty cool. As a bonus now I know what game the Frank intro in Pat's flea market madness videos comes from.

Here's my setup. I just need a dreamcast and the collection of consoles that are nostalgic for me is complete. (I never played a Saturn or an N64 so that's why I don't have those, and I have a PS3 with backwards compatibility in the living room on the HDTV.)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 16, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FireMrshlBill posted:

Now that is some kicking off of the shoes... one lands nearly behind the TV on the other side of the other. Some aggressive relaxing there

Ha my kid likes playing with shoes.

Lol.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

from arcade version:

OH! BIG

Vigilante on TG16 was my first beatemup. A long time later I got a toploader NES when they were being blown out at toys r us and when I rented Kung Fu I was like "oh snap"

Up on the d-pad is jump and that's a travesty that makes me wish I had your Amiga thing for this. Also the first boss just lets you continually punch him without fighting back.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

signalnoise posted:

I need retro setups for a convention. What are my options in terms of bang for buck balancing emulation vs original hardware, monitor vs panel, upscaling, etc? How do I make this a proposition worth buying for 3 days a year?

Raspberry pi, usb replica controllers, cheap LCD panel.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Not monitor lag. Emulator introduced lag.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

signalnoise posted:

Yeah for that we have legit arcade cabinets and a squad of dudes whose sole purpose there is to run tournaments.

Good to know!

If I want to do emulation then, my plan is for legal purposes to have a hidden cache of legit cards/discs/whatever on premises but under lock and key only for verification if some company wants me to show them. What are my options for emulation hardware that will run smoothly, output HDMI (cause I probably won't convince our board to buy and store CRTs, and if I'm emulating, gently caress it), and not require the carts themselves? Hyperspin looks good and the convention is months away so I can fiddle with making a build tape no problem. Is this a pi3 situation?

http://www.arcadepunks.com/64gb-attract-mode-image-with-roms-retropie-pdark-code-named-the-hyperspin-pi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Was there ever an arcade (or other console/computer) release of Blazing Lazers/Gunhed perhaps under a different name? This game rules.

• Locked thread