Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

silentq15 posted:

May I suggest adding these guys to the Youtube Idiots section as they are probably the best RGB explanation video I have seen and a huge help for newcomers:

My Life in Gaming - The RGB Master Class

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSR1ZDDQRgjg6S9D2YQ4rwnZ

Great OP tho.

I was just about to post these guys as well! Their RGB videos have been super helpful to me, not to mention they shoot a ton of gorgeous footage of old games with lots of comparison shots. Most thorough YouTube coverage of the topic I've come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, he already sold it. I know I was the first one to respond, since he responded to me saying he meant $100 at 7am. Then sent me another email at 9am saying he added two pictures of it showing it working. By the time I read those emails at 11am, his listing was already down. Sent him an email inquiring about the pictures and he responded saying the monitor is sold.

What an rear end. I always give the first person who responded first dibs and a reasonable amount of time to respond. He listed it at 12:50 last night and I responded to it at 1:40. I doubt someone else was up and happened to see it within that time, plus he responded to me like it was mine if I was ok with the $100 and even posted extra pictures for me.

So I sent an email laying the guilt trip. Some people are just asses. Oh well, I'm still happy with my Trinitron CRT and would have had to do some serious rearranging for it anyway. Maybe when I buy a house in the next year and have more room, another one will pop up at a reasonable price. Whats another ~14 months of having CL send me alerts when PVM/BVM listings appear...

Really? I've always assumed as a buyer or seller that standard protocol was to sell to the first person who shows up with cash. There's so many flakes especially on CL that you'd be dumb to hold an item for anyone no matter how many emails. Sucks to miss a deal but I don't think that guy did anything wrong.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Crimson Harvest posted:

:( the ibuffalo SNES pad I bought for my Retropie gives ghost d-pad inputs when I'm not pushing any buttons. Anyone else have this?

Yep, me too :-(

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/JrpgJordan/status/767894696504864768

I ventured into my storage unit to retrieve the few pieces of my old game collection that I never sold off. Sold all my DS stuff but kept a few GBA games for whatever reason. The good news is most of that stuff is worth some money, even loose. The bad news is I looked at GBA games on eBay for the first time and what the hell these prices are shameful.

But man, I forgot how good games looks on the Micro.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Which product is best for converting RGB SCART to Ypbpr?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

d0s posted:

This one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321984634001

There are cheaper ones that cost around $50 but they're trash

e: there used to be a US seller of this model but now the only one I can find is this one in the UK, it will work fine but you will need an adapter for the power plug. the cheaper ones are bad because the colors need to be manually adjusted with a ton of pots and you can never get it looking exactly right

Hmmm. I wonder if that's $100 better saved and just put towards a PMV. Thank you for pointing out the right one, though.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

TheRedEye posted:

I don't want to ruin anyone's fun but component video scaled through a modern TV still looks like artifact-filled garbage to me. You're cleaning up the source signal but you're still running that source through the wrong scaler, so you're getting a lot of artificial artifacts that shouldn't be there, and you're probably getting some pretty bad input lag too. I don't know if there are good solutions out there for this, but I actually think you'd be happier with plain old composite through a good scaler, it looks surprisingly good for what it is. I have had some pretty good results with a stock NES and a Framemeister.

I just started using these on a CRT and am very happy with them. But none of the pictures I've seen on Twitter of people using them on LCDs look what I would consider good. Better for sure, and good enough for some I guess, but still unacceptable to me. Really no short cuts around getting a scaler if you're playing in an HDTV.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Can anyone recommend a good turbo controller for the PS1? Or any cool alternative controllers, for the sake of discussion. I enjoy buying weird peripherals that I never got a chance to use back in the day, like my sweet one-handed Ascii Grip!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

dishwasherlove posted:

I was always partial to the look of that weird Namco controller that came with Ridge Racer 4. No idea if it was good though.

The Jogcon! I loved R4 but only played it as a rental so never got to try the controller.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

The Milkman posted:

Does anyone know any known good PS2 component cables? I looked over Amazon and eBay it's all either $5 garbage or $50 OEM sets. I gave up and just got said garbage, and the picture seems ok but there is some gnarly buzz/feedback on the audio.

I'm going to hit up some used shops tomorrow but I'm guessing the cables they'll have will be the same cheap crap but with a big markup. I was trying to avoid the all in one sets but maybe that's the way to go? There's also some weird direct PS2->HDMI adapters things I'm leery of but it looks like they don't scale the image or anything so maybe they're ok

You can snag OEM ones on eBay for $25.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

Jeez, fifty bucks. Probably wouldn't care about the price, but how fast do they ship?

Shipping is like 5 bucks and I got mine in 3 days (shipped from IL to CA). They look fantastic on my Toshiba CRT and are cheaper than buying a SCART cable + YPbPr converter. Also they are engineered to work with the SNES instead of just being a generic converter, but I'm not sure how big of a deal that really is.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The NES doesn't have native RGB (which those cables convert from to component video), so you'd want to look at a NESRGB mod most likely. Not sure if it's compatible with those Retrovision cables, but it should at least give you S-Video through your NES if nothing else

Not officially supported but I've been seeing lots of people on Twitter posting pictures of them working on NESRGB modded consoles. Same with N64. Not official, but still seems to work.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Star Man posted:

Sir, you can take a Dremel to those tabs inside the console and never have to worry about it.

I think he means a replacement top for the SFC that would let SNES carts fit in (they are too big/the wrong shape and there is no tab removal solution for the SFC to play SNES games).

Which actually sounds pretty rad and I would grab one because I love the SFC hardware.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So for the folks with RGB SCART hook ups, are you using a special TV that actually has those inputs? Or are you using a converter of sorts with it? Being from the US, I have literally never seen a TV with SCART, and it appears from what I'm reading to be mostly popular in the EU?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSRW6GIFybpOJbjU65T8eFVM

Watch that playlist! Great overview of the basics of RGB gaming.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone have a reasonably priced option for the cover for the turbo everdrive? Stoneagegamer wants like $30.

You can use a old PCMCIA card case for storage. And if you're using a Duo, it's covered by the lid when plugged in anyways.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

iastudent posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a component switch with dual outputs?

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40697-Component-TOSLINK-Selector/dp/B000S1CEQ4

I think this is the one the My Life in Gaming guys use. You can see it featured in their setup video here.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

wa27 posted:

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i0UKrazow

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

Wowww, that is downright deceptive. I've heard that one of the reasons that Nintendo featured that huge pixel art on their first-person NES games was to distance themselves from pre-crash cover art that was completely removed from how the games actually looked. Had no idea that extended to commercials as well.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

DalaranJ posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, and the lid hangs up really awkwardly when you put a famicom cart in because they insert vertically.

I love the idea of the AVS and hope to see more FPGA-based HD clone systems but drat if it's not only ugly but also awkward hell. I guess that had to have a lid on order to cash in on those sweet nostalgia bucks but every inch of its design just seems like the worst compromises.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, basically everyone who's into SNES games basically needs to be in the import market or own an everdrive, cause the US game prices are dumb.

Yep. A lot of SFC versions are literally 10-20X less than SNES versions and CIB to boot.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

mariooncrack posted:

So I was playing Chrono Trigger a few weeks ago and I played a few hours. I plugged it in last night and my save was "gone." It reverted back to the first save I made for the game. I replaced the save in the game a few years back.

Has anyone had this happened to them before? Should I worry? I had the game freeze on me once when I played it a few weeks ago if that matters.

Yeah that happened to me the first time I ever played it. I was at the end too :gonk:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played some consoles (everything from an NES to an FM Towns) at a convention today on Sony Trinitron and Panasonic monitors and I must have image quality that clear at home. What can I get on eBay as far as a CRT for consoles that isn't $600 or 200 pounds?

Alternatively, my dad has some model of Sony Wega CRT but it's both 30+ inches and 200 pounds.

Lots of cheap/free consumer CRTs on Craigslist, at least in my area. Anything Sony or Toshiba with S-Video and/or Component inputs should be good! I would just look locally and not bother with eBay.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Bum the Sad posted:

How do you do all these config file edit btw? Just pop the SD card in your PC and navigate to it edit it and put it back in the Pi?

Download putty and ssh into it.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/ssh

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Bum the Sad posted:

Gotcha. It's looking like I can also see the comfy files and poo poo in windows on the network? As in the Pi should show up as a network drive.

You can navigate to it in Windows Explorer by going to \\192.168.x.x or whatever its ip on your network is. Don't think you can access everything that way though.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Has anyone used the FlashMasta Neo Geo Pocket Color or Wonderswan flashcarts? Any good? Are they the best option for those systems?

Lack of an SD card kind of sucks but if it works well and isn't a janky piece of poo poo I'm down.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/helmets_info/status/812478695474507776

I want this so bad. Gotta find out if I can import directly from BEEP or what the hell I need to do to get it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

flyboi posted:

What's so special about the lot? Looks like a stock x68k. You'll be hampered by the lower clock speed and the lack of expandability to add a cf drive

It's a raspberry pi case?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/814280364449529857

:getin:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

URL grey tea posted:

People unwrapping new CIB retro video games is my new ASMR

Its not a bad idea for a potentially successful YouTube channel. Kinda like openboosters does for older Magic: The Gathering cards.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok, what's the best 1080p -> 4k upscaler?

4K TVs are already great at upscaling 1080p to 4K.

Edit: misread your post. Is Wii U upscaling that bad? I don't think the problem could be the TV of the Wii U is already outputting 1080p.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2017

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
How big is too big when it comes to commercial CRT? I've been playing on a 14" PVM but in my new apartment I'll have room for a bigger beast. But, do they start to look like poo poo above a certain size? Can't imagine they look too sharp at the larger sizes. 32" okay or should I go smaller?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

d0s posted:

I wouldn't go above 29", I understand the ones larger than that are not as sharp. Good luck finding one though!

Most of the good ones around here seem to be like 36"+. There is a 27" KV-27FV300 about an hour from me, though. One of the best Trinitrons as I understand it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I just recieved 2 DS games from Japan in less than a week when the shipping estimate was 3 weeks. Absolutely shocked. Last night I ordered like 5 Saturn games from 5 different Japanese sellers so we'll see how that works out...

The only international shipping issues I've had is with Everdrives from Ukraine. Takes like a month and the shipping info is almost useless, even within the US.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What's the opinion on the DC-SD these days? I see they're like $15 and I'm afraid my drive is dying in my current dreamcast

GDEmu and the Saturn Rhea/Phoebe optical replacements should be coming back in Stock next month if you wanna burn some cash on that. They look pretty awesome and I can't wait until stuff like the is available on all optical drive consoles.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

So I been looking into the MSU1 patches since my SD2SNES arrives today, and I managed to track down all the ones available except Chrono Trigger. I don't get why the only soundtrack supported is some fan orchestra remix that the guy is charging money for?

He paid to license the Chrono Trigger music and produced an exceptional album with that license. So maybe pay him for it, guy who just spent $200 on a flashcart.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Just picked up a pristine PVM-20L5 off Craigslist for $400 not ten minutes from my place. I've had my eye on one for a while now but didn't want to drop $800-$1000 for that 480p goodness quite yet.

But this dude was super cool and knowledge, way into the hobby, and had like 4 other PVMs and games/consoles set up and is about to get his first BVM in the next few days.

He said he got a good deal on the 20L5 originally so he wanted to pass that along. Pretty happy right now and hopefully made a new retro gaming friend.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

What the best method for playing backups on a Saturn these days? I know there is that loader that got mentioned last year, but that still a pipe dream. I see mentions of both a flashed action replay and replacing the disc drive with a loader. But both seem to have cons, as the former kills the action replay off from it normal useful abilities, which probably means you need to buy a second one, plus having to buy CD-R again in the year 2017. Where the later takes apart the Saturn and requires soldering which I try to avoid at all cost.

I just installed a modchip in my Saturn and it is super easy and works flawlessly. Seriously it's just one ribbon cable and one wire (2-3 solder points depending on your model of Saturn). I did the whole thing in less than 10 minutes. You can buy one for $29. PM me for details on where. Between that chip and an action reply you can play anything painlessly and still get all the AR features.

This drive emulators sell out in seconds when the they do go on sale every couple months, and the VCD port thing doesn't exist as a product yet.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 21, 2017

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

Mod chip it is then. Do I need to wait for the Saturn to come in to determine if I need a certain version of the Phantom chip?

No

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

If I get a Sega CD, I guess that means I would need to get the newer Everdrive, as the Everdrive MD I got doesn't have the ram cart. But what the difference between the X5 and X7 beyond save states?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Mak0rz posted:

I've actually never heard of this game, The Mexican Runner, nor NESmania before now but I'm absolutely delighted that someone learned the piano as a consequence of playing through every NES game. I would never have expected it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmDKPDsaZEo

Check out this condensed version of him beating it if you're interested. Even comes with its own massive keyboard controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Just got my $12 Hyperkin Genesis 6-button and I am really happy with it. If it's not perfect to the original it doesn't really matter as it is still worlds better than the mashed-to-hell original I've been playing on. Recommended instead of paying more for a beat up original on eBay.

• Locked thread