Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

What a weird world we live in.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I wish someone would romhack Shadowrun and add mouse support.

:yeah:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Machine posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Mouse

The list of SNES Mouse-compatible games is way larger than I thought.

No way, I had no idea. Definitely getting one if it reviews well.

Bob from retro-rgb should have one soon and said he'll cover it.

Zaphod42 posted:

N64 Doom is really cool but its really more like a Quake prequel in the Doom engine aesthetically, rather than a straight Doom WAD. Its very cool.

Yeah Doom on the N64 ruled, I want a version of that for Dolphin or whatever with a higher framerate

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

xamphear posted:

That blog post sure did make an excellent mountain out of a molehill. Everything you use will eventually break and die. Entropy wins in the end, even without Flash Carts in the mix.

Enjoy your games. Even with the minor flaws that exist in the more popular flash carts, they are WAY more likely to suffer damage than the console is. And the console itself is most likely to develop issues in the power supply components, which are all easily replaced. A couple new caps and a 5v voltage regulator, no biggie.

If you want your console to last forever: Don't turn it on and seal it in a block of lucite.
If you want to enjoy your console: Accept that one day it's gonna break.

Life is change. Everything flows.
Namaste.

TRUMP!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

shyduck posted:

Regarding Framemeister, The 'My Life In Gaming' guys learned from somebody with Micomsoft knowledge that the company only has basically one engineer, and they're not keen on the being in the upscaler business. Grain of salt, but doesn't sound good for an updated one.

How has noone else made something to compete yet? The OSSC is fine, but not really the same thing. At that price point you'd think there would've been some competition by now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ineffiable posted:

Its very niche and requires a ton of computer know how and engineering? Even at that price point they may not be making that much money. Hasn't there only been thousands of these sold? Maybe tens of thousands?

It's like with the analogue nt mini. They found someone that knew enough to program the FPGA and worked with him on a console. There's got to be a company out there like analog or hyperkin that's willing to front the research funding. People would eat up a version that had either RGB BNC or full size SCART connectors, I know I'd like one.

Jason at gametechus was saying they've sold more than 3000 Hi-Def NES kits and that's including the analogue systems.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

falz posted:

Ebay scam check, what's up with this listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332306703783

He has it listed as auction but says buy it now only but doesn't have that option set. It most certainly seems to be too good of a deal @ $1k, just curious if folks have seen this before.

Why does eBay make it so hard to report listings?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Big K of Justice posted:

I mean, I did this before back in the 90's, back then in North America, everything was console system -> BNC or console system to -> 25 pin DB and despite what a few youtube channels said, you could get North American TV's with RGB, but it was just a handful of models.. a few Mitsubishi/NEC high-end models and the Sony Pro Feel line all had DB-25 connectors on them. Kinda odd to see the modern method is to use system -> scart -> BNC -> RGB/upscaler route, but I guess its cost considerations.

We'd be in a very different world if the digital conversion hadn't happened a decade ago. There was literally a pile of CRTs dozens of feet high at the city electronics recycling location that year, it was nuts. If I'd have had a warehouse back then I would've made a killing.

The only reason there's so many PVM/BVM models left is because TV stations and video production places knew better than to throw them away.

You can still find some consumer models with the connectors you're talking about, but they're extremely rare. I don't think I've seen one in years and I live in one of the largest cities in the US. The only thing around are production models.

You could always get a first gen plasma, the pro models of those almost always have RGB through the DB-25 and also full BNC RGB. GIves off a hell of an image, if you can handle those grey bars on the sides :sparkles:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Finally got the one console I've been wanting since the 80's, now just need to get it modded for RGB.

Even got a handful of JRPG TGCD games with it that I'll never play.

edit

Martytoof posted:

Anyone else waiting on their OSSC with HDMI Audio upgrade? I paid out so long ago now and I guess their installation workshop is really backed up or something. Pretty frustrating but I'm hoping the payoff is good enough to warrant the wait.

Should have just gone framemeister.

yeah I ordered one when they went on sale recently, shipping window is still a month or so away.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Breadallelogram posted:

Actually it looks like the super everdrive and sd2snes both work on jp systems... anyone here have hands-on experience with that?

I've got the Famicom looking version of the sd2snes and it's great. Ended up with a SNES Mini, but would've gotten a Famicom if I could've found one at a decent price that wasn't yellowed to hell and back.

The SNES Mini is still pretty cheap and has the best video out, according to MLIG at least, but you have to get it modded for RGB if you're looking for that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

xamphear posted:

The SNES Mini is the best SNES.

I think it looks dumb, but it is objectively the best.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

univbee posted:

FINALLY someone in my area threw out a CRT TV.

It only has RF input. :negative:

Speaking of TVs, I just donated a bunch of CRTs to the local retro game store if anyone in Houston is looking for one. He's just giving them away to people he deems worthy. ie, won't got sell them immediately

Most were 25" Zeniths with RCA composite only, but there's a few 19" and 13" Trinitrons. The larger ones are still composite, but the small sets are the tiny WEGAs and have component.

edit, PM me if you want info

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 22, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.

Sixteen people get to enjoy 5 fps gaming at the same time? Sign me up!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
What is it with eastern block countries and emulation?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Had a good ol' time cleaning a few N64 carts my friend gave me. Most were pretty trashed, but they're all working now and are very clean.

The N64 also had a ton of dust in it, but is working great. Gonna send it off for a RGB mod pretty soon.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
secret of mana is amazing with three players

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Lost Vikings is obviously the best multiplayer game

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mycophobia posted:

god Sunset Riders is hard. gently caress chief wigwam

bury me with mah money

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Drowning Rabbit posted:

You can literally buy a mini nes case on Amazon for a Pi. You will need a memory card for it as well, but that is kind of a given. Along with whatever controller setup you want :x

https://www.amazon.com/YIKESHU-NESPI-RASPBERRY-BRASPBERRY-TOOLSY/dp/B073ZC4TZY

Once I saw the storage idea on the bottom I was sold.

This SNES one is cute too.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-3D-Printed-Nintendo-Raspberry/dp/B073SBCCKD

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

Wow, I had no idea N64 PCBs were so tiny. What a waste of space in the carts. I mean, NES had the same issue too, but still.

I think I'm more interested in the SuperCD games you have in the background, what are they?

Two of them are only in Japanese, but the other is Far East of Eden. They're very much JRPGs, well the CD games are, and relatively impossible to navigate.

None are worth anything and I'm just keeping them to represent PCE games on the shelf. If anyone around here really wants them I really don't need them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

univbee posted:

Just wifi that poo poo, you're not going to notice a difference copying over a 256 kilobyte ROM file.

But what about my ping...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

If you don't like the 8BitDo controller RetroUSB just came out with their new wireless controller, gonna grab one later this year probably.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

al-azad posted:

gently caress are you guys talking about with this rocking thumb nonsense? There's only one way to use an NES controller

impossible

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Don't forget Einhander, Parasite Eve, and Vagrant Story.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RodShaft posted:

That takes like a minute to load up. What is this? 2005?

56K WARNING

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
watching people play those laserdisc games in the arcade in the 80's was awesome

playing them without notes was...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Game pricing is weird.

Im curious if everything will stay this expensive for much longer, it's crazy these days. There's a flash cart for just about every console now and the CD systems are mostly covered as well, only reason to buy games is for collectors and originalists.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sorry to change the subject from rom availability (there's a torrent for every cartridge-based console game collection), here's the one valuable thing I've got. Saw it getting good reviews back in the day and picked it up while I was in Iraq and somehow was able to keep the box and everything. Played the hell out of it for years, drat good game.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheMadMilkman posted:

Thanks for the responses. I think the Duo-R with a region switch will be the best option.

He specifically noted that the GB Everdrive wouldn't have the same issues because no voltage conversion is required.

Just picked one up and am about to send it off to be modded. Great system, highly recommend.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bonxai posted:

(Maybe this is more of a general electronics question but it involves Sega Genesis sound chips so...)

Does anybody here have any experience building custom hardware VGM players? I was looking at these two pages today and I'm thinking about trying to build my own:
http://www.aidanlawrence.com/hardware-sega-genesis-video-game-music-player/
https://hackaday.io/project/13361-sega-genesis-native-hardware-chiptune-synthesizer

The first one is a complete mess of wires and I/O shift registers, so I'm leaning towards the second one, but that method involves ordering a pricey board to be created for you (they make a minimum of three boards per order, driving the price up). I'm also not really satisfied with the user interface. Ideally I would like some kind of video output to a GUI where you could select songs, but neither project seems to include anything that fancy, and I fear I'm too much of a beginner to build one from scratch. Both projects are also missing a function to shuffle songs, which would be neat to have.

I guess I'm just looking for tips and info at this stage. Still doing research on how I could approach this.

I would absolutely love this and would pay good money for it. All the current solutions are just tedious enough to be more trouble than they're worth, I want something that can be plugged into a receiver and controlled with a genesis controller or whatever. Add the ability to plug in game carts to access the sound files and I'd be happy, not sure if that's possible though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

xamphear posted:

I'm going to be in NYC (Manhattan) for a long weekend soon, and will have some time to kill. Anything I should check out while I'm there?

http://www.movingimage.us/

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I heard they added the poem later

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Gonna write down all those PCD-TG16 suggestions, about to send my Duo off to monitorburn this week myself.

meat police posted:

It looks like Retro Fighters is trying their hand at an N64 controller through a kickstarter. Looks better than the coveted hori design.

drat, for $20 it's worth the risk of it sucking

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iam8bit has a Collector's Edition for it... with the soundtrack on a cassette tape :confuoot.

Vinyl ones I understand, because people like vinyl and you can buy brand-new players, but who the hell still has something with a cassette player? :psyduck:

It's mostly for people to put on a shelf, but cassettes are back for certain music genres. It's very strange, they're a terrible format.

In Training posted:

People use tapes still in the same way that people use vinyl, it's not a total shock to put the soundtrack out on tape

Not really, there's a ton of companies selling modern turntables and people actually listen to records. Noone is making a modern tape deck and cassettes sound like poo poo anyway.

But yeah it's very much a cute thing for people to buy and look at. Ariel Pink and my friend's band both put out 8 tracks a few years ago. They cost so much to make that they only did like twenty of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVQZdthV_fA

There was a sweet tape in the box versin of Galak-Z that indiebox sold.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://mondotees.com/products/sonic-mania-original-video-game-soundtrack-lp

mondo still has a few copies of the vinyl soundtrack, if anyone wants it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm really excited for this. I'll buy it, then buy it again when/if they release it physically.

I especially like the erasure of 4 on the elevator. What a let down that game was.

if you like weird plastic things, there's this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Quiet Feet posted:

Speaking of handhelds, I'm playing Gameboy Batman tonight. Way different from the NES version, but I'm liking it. How in the hell was Sunsoft so good at getting awesome sound out of these old systems?

I had that game back in the day and loved it. Definitely a good early Game Boy game.

edit

Hold on, when did Wisdom Tree start reproducing their old games again?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549719931/noahs-ark-for-nes-and-sega-genesis-0

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 11, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RZA Encryption posted:

Nah, I want an actual cart.

You'd think they would've had a physical card for the Switch release, but nope.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Bury me with my money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I love the internet

• Locked thread