Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great new thread. Only thing I suggest is a section on the portable handhelds like Gameboy, Game Gear, Nomad, Turbo Express, and the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was going to see about buying another CRT, as while I like the one I have...it only has RF so it won't ever have that amazing picture. But all the Goodwills and Savation Army's near my house got rid of all their CRTs. That blows since I rather avoid Craiglist at all cost.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I might have lucked out, as my brother's soon to be wife has several CRTs that are not in use at their house, so I just going to ask for one of those.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Silhouette posted:

Nah, they were $14.99 MSRP. PS2 memory cards were $24.99 MSRP, though.

In retrospect, the PSX's pricing schemes were pretty odd, since it was the first time that the MSRP on software went down across the board. Most games were $34.99-39.99, with Squaresoft games selling at $44.99-$49.99. It was one of the big reasons that the PSX had such a huge lead over the N64, since N64 games were $59.99+, with the Greatest Hits-style rereleases being sold for the "bargain" price of $39.99, as opposed to the PSX's GH line being $19.99.

Vastly prefer this over the 16 bit era of random prices on games, with stuff like Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star IV are 100 dollars.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnjGmjTcQ

(the other Knuckles video)

With that in mind, now that I got the Genesis, should I bother with a 32X? I had it and the CD as a kid, but not a lot I really play on either.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

because the only pre-NES poo poo worth dragging back out is a Vectrex :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nerL0RlN3E

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a question on the flash carts. I see some entries on Amazon and ebay for "Chinese Edition" of the Everdrives. Are these bootlegs, or just another name for the devices since they come from China?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monitor Burn posted:

Actual Everdrives come from the Ukraine, not China. Bootlegs also have the added bonus of not being able to update the firmware on it without buying a new one.

Support Krikzz, he does good work: https://krikzz.com/store/

How long does it take to get a cart from him anyway? That the main reason I was looking at these.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought my Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer and it got here in about a week, though I just bought a board only one. You pay slightly more at SAG, but I like the extra safety of not having to do overseas shipping.

Also keep in mind if you want to get a Genesis one, he's releasing a new set that's gonna be a lot cheaper very soon.

Already got a Genesis flash cart (probably a clone but meh), but I will get the NES flash cart from Stone Age Gamer for sure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Played Streets of Rage 2 for the entirely last night on the VA7 Model Genesis I bought. I am honestly not hearing the suppose horrible sound, and SoR2 has some of the best music on the Genesis. Granted I am playing on a mono tv, so I imagine if it does have issues with sound it would be the stereo side.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If I am going to have the tv with the consoles next to my PC, would a 14 inch be fine? Especially if I am getting a Sony PVM in that size?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

If it's at a desk, yes.

I know I just posted a picture of this, but this is what it looks like from a distance. It does take a fair bit of desk space to do, but...

How big is that tv anyway? Also like the Sailor Jupiter sign.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The recent SGDQ run for Final Fantasy VI took advantage of how deeply broken Relm's sketch bug can be and skip the entirely of the World of Ruins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7W0uQOWZ8

(starts at 3:35)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I found a nice Sony Trinitron 20 inch at a yard sale for five dollars. No s-video or context, but for VGA the picture looks pretty good on it. I actually saw near my house a large tv with S-video for free, but it way too heavy to even fit in the car. Go figure!

Also the place I got that Model 1 Genesis actually got a non-VA7 model in, so I was able to swap for it. :toot:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Actually this is a silly question, but is there a good guide to tune the picture settings on a crt? I know there is a ton of guides for LCD tvs, but can't think of any for a CRT these days.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Find the model number and try a Google search for "brand model service mode" (or manual), if it's a CRT TV. This is mostly for screen geometry and the like. Most CRT monitors should have a menu that allows you to adjust the horizontal and vertical sizing and all of that.

Don't need to worry about the manual actually, as the person I got the tv from had it still. So I can just use that then to adjust it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

wtf are you saying here?

The tv I got has pretty good picture for something that only composite. Good enough that I am happy with how the games look on it. Would be nice to get that other tv, but it way too heavy to lift.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrLonghair posted:

I'd rather transport an arcade cabinet to a second floor apartment on my own than move those late consumer CRT horrors.

Exactly. It probably was a 40 inch too, which is way too big. Besides, I have a feeling it might not work since it been sitting outside by the road when it has been raining the past few days. The 20 inch Sony I got isn't going to win rewards for picture compare to the the PVM model, but it sits me perfectly fine. Looks way better then the other tv I posted pictures of before.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spoderman posted:

The DC SD is extremely bad. Horrible compatibility, and if a game does work, it has insane load times and pop-in. Do not buy it to play games. Just buy a spindle of CD-Rs if you want a cheap way to play games.

That a shame to hear. I was tempted to get this since I got a Dreamcast for free a few years ago with all the cords and a controller (person tried to sell it to Gamestop and they refused so he stuck it on top of a trashcan) . It powers on just fine, but from what I can tell the disc drive doesn't' work since it had a included internet cd that wasn't being read.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably them wanting to make sure Federation Force flops so they can declare Metroid dead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I am loving playing old games on a CRT.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/763504623764246528

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, my Everdrive 8 came in today for the NES and it giving me the drat blinking light when I try it. Which is weird, since the Dragon Warrior copy I tried last week worked just fine. This unit had a Pin 72 replaced a while back so it shouldn't be the trouble.

[edit] Just tried the Dragon Warrior copy and it started up immediately when I put it in, while the Everdrive is giving me a blinking light. Weird since this is one from Stonegamer, so it actually a legit Everdrive.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 11, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay I got it working now. I google my problem and I guess you need to hit the reset button five times to switch regions on the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVdCFvoYSH4

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any good examples? I tried to look for one in Youtube and got a Smash Bros video that looked worst and one that showed a thumbnail for Ocarina of Time, but the video was some blurry bald guy talking the whole time.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mill Village posted:

Nintendo had no problems with Shadow Man so I doubt Silent Hill would have been an issue. They were more concerned about swearing and suggestive content back then.

There was also Ogre Battle 64, which I remember had swearing still, which is pretty surprising for a RPG outside of Barret and Cid, which was still censored at times.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What a good price point for a Sony PVM 14 inch? I am very happy with the 20 inch Sony Trinitron, but the fact it only composite is limiting. At least if I can get a PVM, I can put the Trinitron in my bedroom.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Crimson Harvest posted:

I paid about $70 for a 14L5 on ebay.

That's not too bad. Do they all have RGB ports, as the one I am looking at is a 14N1U and I don't see the RGB slot or component slot, just S-Video I am figuring. Maybe that isn't the model I should get then.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know there is another thread for retro computing, but I found this today at Goodwill (was trying to find a CRT monitor for a project I have).

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/765283526778490881

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Minor question, but how do you check what on a N64 memory card? I got a used one today but have no clue how to see what on it. I saw mentions of "holding start when turning on the n64" but doesn't seem to work with a flashcart inserted.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang, tried out the Gameboy I got a few years ago at a yard sale for five bucks, and while it still works (I got a copy of Tetris for testing) it has a few thick lines toward the bottom that cover up the screen. Probably not going to get a flashcart for this then, even through if I did get a Everdrive GB, I would just get a used Gameboy Color instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Use a game with a built in memory card manager. The "holding start" thing only works with games that have a memory card manager in them that will be activated that way.

Perfect Dark is reputed to have the best memory card manager, and you may be able to load that with the hold-start method when you load the game from your flashcart.

That worked. Ironically the only thing this card had was a Perfect Dark save.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember buying magazines a lot for the big maps, even if it a game I have no interest in. Later on like getting them to see if they gameshark codes for games like FFVI to get late game items early and such.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Returning the cheap chinese SNES flashcart I got from Amazon (it kept eating my SD cards so I can still return it as defective), but is it worth paying more for the SNES2SNES or just get a Everdrive?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

How much do you like Megaman X?

Well I already bought Megaman X1, X2, and X3 on the WiiU..

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Then just get the Everdrive with DSP chip

Oh didn't know they had a chip for the basic Everdrive, so I can go with that and save a 100 over the SNES2SNES! :toot: Thank you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah just going to buy the Everdrive. While it a shame I can't play Mega Man X2 or Star Fox on the flashcart, I am fine with not paying 100 dollars more for this minor difference. Especially when I have Mega Man X2, X3, and Mario RPG over on the WiiU.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

okay thanks for the update

Speaking of updates, I hope you do more of the systems in the OP, as those are good reads.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My parents live there. I did a bunch of years ago. I always make it a point to visit them when things like that are going on. They have a grandchild now so I am in the area all the time.

Ah thank you for letting me know. Any idea if the Mag-Stik Plus is any better?

You will see the MSU1 version of A Link to the Past running on an SD2SNES and you will forever regret not getting it.

A shame, but strangely I don't play Link to the Past that much. Think trying to play this awful free MMO that used assets from it really hurt my enjoyment of the game for the longest time. That does sound nice through.

Anyway, now that I am done with getting flash carts for the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis, I am thinking of getting one for the Turbograhix/PC Engine. OP mentions not buying a Turbographix and just get a PC Engine at this point. Besides having better output for videos, is the console better quality with the PC Engine? I remember getting one for a kid and it breaking within a week so my parents had to return it to Toys R Us and got a SNES instead (which is a blessing in disguise). But due to this, I am worry about fragile the unit can be, especially when you add twenty years to the system.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

you should slow down and enjoy what you have before jumping into yet another system, imo

e: but yes the PCEs are for the most part better built than the TG16. the original black duos are an exception and should be avoided at all cost. duo-rs and duo-rxs are fine and probably the best thing to go for now in 2016

I wasn't going to get this for a little bit. I just wanted to know before I go forward. Especially since the Gameboy turn out to be in bad shape to get a flashcart for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That the main reason I returned that chinese SNES flashcart, as it kept messing up my sd cards. I would transfer files to them, but after it been in the unit, it would lock up on a tiny 2 mb file and not want to transfer anymore.

• Locked thread