Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Repro would be cool if you had money to blow and want to own 'all' the games. Otherwise it better to go with flashcarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Do not even ask posted:

Basically the way he operates is he opens pre-orders and if you manage to get in on time he puts you on a waitlist. Once your ODE is ready he'll send you a transaction request to your Paypal account and you'll have about a week to respond.

He isn't the only one making DC ODEs though, there's this guy, but with him you might be at risk.

Can the thread make a :siren: next time ordering is up? I rather do this then try fixing the bad laser on my Dreamcast and then have to burn a bunch of CDR.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ineffiable posted:

Got my GBA everdrive in today. Obviously the first thing anyone does is get a complete romset and clean it up.

Any cool hacks/translations I should do with this thing? I know there's a good sound fix for final fantasy and pokemon light platinum sees to be the best of the million pokemon hacks.

I liked the various Final Fantasy VI Advance hacks that fix up a lot of the issues that version had in comparison to the SNES version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through it won't be back in stock until October, how is the PSIO?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rollersnake posted:

As Shadow—the last character anyone would want to use, if given a choice. I remember being really pissed off that the pyramid boss was such an ordeal in the boss rush (genuinely hard, or just tedious, I can't recall) when she wasn't particularly difficult to begin with.

A boss rush as a separate mode is fine, though in most cases I probably wouldn't be interested in playing it. I guess I don't mind them too much in the main game if they're not much of an inconvenience and give you a "look how far I've come" moment, but they're just padding almost all of the time.

One of the reasons Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup is that it barely even reuses normal enemies in a genre where reusing all the bosses is the norm. The story mode does add a "boss rush" before the final boss, but it's a series of unique bosses not seen anywhere else.

Even through they show up in later Castlevania games (or every game as in the case with Death), I like Super Castlevania boss rush against Gaibon Slogra, and Death, who you do not fight at all at this point in the game. All while this creepy piano track plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYm6N5aM2wI

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

xamphear posted:

Good news! Krikzz has returned from vacation and put out a new ED GBA update that "Improve[s] SD cards compatibility".

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5509.0

Just pop the update file on your SD card and... oh.

Here hoping the new models for the Everdrive have this pre-installed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I had a old desktop that I got in 2006 that I never use anymore and found a crt monitor at Goodwill for 4 bucks...so it time to make a retro gaming PC for those games that you need to use a Virtual OS to run. I got a spare Windows 98 SE disc to install, but can't start yet since there is a storm in the area (last thing I want is a power outage while installing). But here the setup right now.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/768556619101634562

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang the CD Drive on the PC is bad, so I have to find a spare somewhere. I can still use the old PC, but it stuck on Vista...a fate worst then death.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is a retro PC question, but I dug up from the closet my original PC I got back in 2006 after I got my first job. It had Vista :banghead: on it so I used the usb flash drive to put the Window 98 SE OS on it. After a few annoying issues I got it installed, but I can't put any files on Window 98 now. USB stick isn't supported as it a 2.0, cd-drive is dead and it uses PATA so I don't have a spare, and the ethernet cable needs a file from the Window 98 cd to work...which doesn't work since I can't use the cd I have on it. Shame, since everyone says 98 is the best for retro pc games, but I can't do anything with it, so I wonder if I should just put XP back on it instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I use an XP virtual machine for the few annoying CD DOS and Win 95 games I can't seem to get working by any other means like The Dark Eye. So I think XP will serve you well for pretty much anything you want, DOS included.

Yeah I think I just put XP on it instead. The PC originally XP when I got it, so it fitting to go back to it. Now I just need to find the book that had the cd for it still.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Next time place the unofficial windows 98se service pack installer on your usb stick, and when you boot from it copy the file over to the hard drive while booted into DOS mode.

Among other things it can install a universal usb 2.0 flash drive driver so that usb sticks work flawlessly.

It's also a good idea to copy the WIN98 folder to the hard drive directly, as that's what it wants to use when installing drivers.

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/ Remember, it needs 98 se not regular 98

How can I do this at this point? I tried to use the Easy USB Booter, but it ignores it and goes straight to Window 98 now. And going into DOS mode just gives me a error if I try to go to the B: drive.

[edit] Actually I might have a solution. The PC I am using used to have Vista, which I didn't erase and just removed the hard-drive for it. So I just going to boot into that and move the files over to 98 from there.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 27, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Yeah sticking the Vista drive back in to copy over the WIN98 folder contents (or really the whole windows 98 se cd contents to a single folder, just to be safe) and the unofficial service pack would work well.

Yeah it worked, I got the driver for the usb 2.0 installed so I an install files easily now. Also got the drivers for the motherboard installed so it not stuck in default graphical settings too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Harlock posted:

My favorite Genesis title: NOT FOR RESALE

NOT FOR RESALE & Knuckles

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I noticed a goon in SA Mart is selling their Sega Nomad that was in the process of being given the LCD mod. I want to get it, but how hard is it to solder the new lcd screen to get it working? Don't think I solder anything since high school!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

It's not terrible if you have a compatible screen, though I honestly think the Nomad screen looks alright as it is once you get the brightness right.

Yeah I watching a video, and honestly the only tricky part is putting the four cables to the board. I always wanted a Nomad as a kid, so it would be cool to do this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Dreamcast I have was left in it's box on top of a trashcan outside of Gamestop. I gave it a good home and whenever it goes up again, it will be able to play games again (laser seems to not work).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Quite happy with my setup now. Waiting on the soundcard for DOS games, but at least my old pc has a purpose again.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/771788066847457280

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fruitpunch posted:

The best FF8 LP is Leovinus' one from like loving 10 years agooh god i feel old

Think it got deleted because he hated how the old one was and tried to redo it and it never happened.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

Gambit: worst X-Man gets the worst X-Men stage.

How can anyone forget Maggot, the 'best' X-Man?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh nice, I got for free today a Panasonic CT-32sl14. For a 32 inch tv it was a pain to carry, but the picture is so nice even on composite. Want to get some competent cables, but having trouble finding where to order them for the SNES and Genesis.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Believe you want those Retrovision component cables?

Edit: These things: http://www.hdretrovision.com

Jeez, fifty bucks. Probably wouldn't care about the price, but how fast do they ship?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You'd be spending roughly the same or more for a SCART cable and SCART to component converter (though you'd only need one converter). The cables just cut out the converter since it's already built in. No idea on shipping though I think at least one or two people in this thread have bought them and could probably chime in.

Monopthalmus posted:

Shipping is like 5 bucks and I got mine in 3 days (shipped from IL to CA). They look fantastic on my Toshiba CRT and are cheaper than buying a SCART cable + YPbPr converter. Also they are engineered to work with the SNES instead of just being a generic converter, but I'm not sure how big of a deal that really is.

Okay that makes more sense. I probably order those when my paycheck shows up in a few days. Not in a rush since I still need to find a spot for this tv, as it pretty drat heavy so no sticking it next to my PC like the one I posted images of before.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Rats they are sold out of the SNES cables. Hopefully they don't take a while to return in stock like the Dreamcast flashcart. Speaking of components, has anyone done the N64 mod for RGB yet?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A few of us have including me. It's not terribly difficult. But now there's preassembled circuits for simpler installs.

That a lot cheaper, but I have no experience in soldering.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

Note that the one linked is only for a subset of n64 models.

Is there a easy to see which one you have? The N64 I got as a kid was bought around the time of Shadows of the Empire.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was being dumb eariler and mixed up component and rgb. Can the N65 use component since the SNES and N64 use the same video cables? I ask since the N64 needs a mod to use RGB.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

Yes, I think I wrote something about that when talking about my MSU experiences. Anyways, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the Mega Man X MSU all that much, other is that .. the "updated" music itself is kinda underwhelming, unlike the LTTP or Super Metroid. Audio inconsistency is a bit of a problem with Super Metroid too, some sounds like the "item get" fanfare are way louder than others.

Also it's great to be able to play Rock'n'roll Racing with the original tracks playing during gameplay.

Very happy with the regular Everdrive, but hearing stuff like that does make me wish I paid another 100 to get the other model. Oh well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mentioned getting a new tv for free with competent, but here is a picture of it with the new cables. Still need to get a SNES one so I can use it on the SNES and N64 (post mod), but what options are for the NES...or I just stuck with composite for it?

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/787675407277367296

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That's what I figured, but I was on my phone and couldn't look things up as well as I'd like, and I didn't want to state something conclusively.

Per Monitor Burn's mod service thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673990

Rirse would be looking at $175 plus shipping to have him do the NESRGB install. There's also the Hi-Def NES HDMI mod, but that would be more pricey and not really "CRT compatible" unless his CRT is one of those rare ones with HDMI inputs.

Yeah I probably would skip that then, as NES isn't a graphical powerhouse to be worth the trouble to make it look slightly better.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why are the NES mods so expensive anyway? Also can you use component with the NES if you don't have a RGB tv through a special cable, or that mod only works for RGB?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

As mentioned on the last page, those Retrovision component video cables should work with the NESRGB mod (so long as you use an SNES cable and also have an SNES-style multi-AV out connector installed into your NES with the mod board). As others have mentioned, the NESRGB mod involves purchasing some custom small-batch boards and having some circuit surgery and transplanting done inside the console. It looks like the guy who makes the NESRGB also has a component video board on his shop that can be installed with the mod, for what that's worth.

The thing to keep in mind is that those Retrovision cables aren't "dumb" cables that just carry a signal. They include a little PCB to convert the regular RGB video signals sent out from the console into the lower-bandwidth "component video" form that consumer TVs use. If there's no RGB output from the console, then there's nothing to convert. It's why the Retrovision folks mention that their cables don't work "as-is" with the SNES Mini; when Nintendo made that revision of the SNES, they didn't wire up the S-Video and RGB video to the console's AV out port.

That good to hear. I probably get the NES one at some point, maybe a cheaper solution then finding old Play in One motherboards.

I do love the Retrovision cables from what I seen with the Genesis.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

There is zero point these days to doing the Playchoice PPU swap to get RGB video for the NES. Not all Playchoice PPUs are compatible (last I checked), the usable ones aren't going to be cheap, and you're basically putting old parts into a system and decreasing the supply of usable arcade hardware. It's absolutely pointless and you shouldn't even consider it, not when the NESRGB is just as cheap (probably cheaper), becoming well-known to modders, is new manufacturing, and is also purpose-built for the NES.

Oh I thought that what was used for the RGB mod?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have the proper N64, but how hard is it to do the RGB mod for the N64? I know there is a goon who does that services on SA Mart, but between shipping the unit out and the price for service, it almost 50 more then just buying the RGB mod and trying to do it myself.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can build your own circuit, buy a premade circuit from here or here.

The DIY one is more difficult on the account you have to gather the parts and assemble it yourself. The first prebuilt circuit link has most of the stuff done for you, you just wire it up. The 2nd is a bit more involved, but works on all N64's.

Yeah I was looking at the first link if I did it myself.

By the way, since the PS1 PSIO comes back in stock next week, what the best component cable option for it? I will wait to order one until I know that I am able to get the PSIO, but I know the PS1 just need cables.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Did you read the drama in the last page or so about the PSIO? Doesn't look like it's getting any updates anytime soon, and may be dead.

I didn't see anything last page? That a shame if it dead then, as my old PS1 probably can't read discs at this point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well I am glad that I haven't ordered one yet. Thank you for the warning, gah!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Do not even ask posted:

Does your N64 have a serial # that starts with "NS1"? If it doesn't, it gets way more tricky and expensive since you need to get specialized board since the later models of the n64 don't natively produce rgb signals in the video chip.

Otherwise it's just as easy as making the same DIY rgb amp set for a SNES Mini with the only issue being trying to get it all to fit between the bottom RF shielding and the mobo.

My N64 has a NS106084920 serial number, as it was bought probably a month after launch. So I thankfully don't need to use the more expensive mod. How tricky is it to solder? Do I need some special tool or I can use a ironer?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat, I might just break down and get the NES modded after all. It pricey, but I was watching videos of it modded and drat does it look good. At least if I did this with Monitor Burn, I could get the N64 modded at the same time.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Monitor Burn does a great service. Next week when I get paid I will have to do the N64 and NES mods. How big of a jump is component from composite on the NES and N64. Genesis looks amazing in component, but SNES it hard to see too much of a jump, even through it does look a lot nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Direct link:

http://i.imgur.com/mquzVIb.jpg

That's a cell phone snap of SMB1 from my PVM over direct RGB. Component probably wouldn't be too much different.

A digital capture over S-Video from my NESRGB-modded AV Famicom:

I believe Rirse's plan is to get his NES modded with the NESRGB board and an SNES-style multi-av out, and then use one of those Retrovision SNES component cables (that adapt raw RGB to component format internally) with it to use it over component video on his TV. There's also the NESRGB daughterboard that converts RGB and adds component output, but that would definitely cost more and involve more work to add the connections for it (if nothing else).

Yeah I would go with the former as I have the SNES component cables. I would be getting the NES and N64 worked on at the same time since they both need a mod to get RGB function.

The NES HDMI does look nice, but I prefer playing these on a crt, which I got a nice one that is the same size as my LCD tv now. I saw what it looks like in motion and it does look great, but it also loses a bit of the charm.

• Locked thread