Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Pokémon.

DS games:
Bomberman DS is 8 player single card.

Namco Museum DS has Pac-Man Vs.

Mr. Driller DS Euro or Japan has wireless single card multiplayer.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Tingle's Balloon Fight

Metroid Prime Pinball

Tetris DS

Space Invaders Extreme

Meteos

Pokémon Trozei

Kirby Superstar Ultra

New Super Mario Bros. / Super Mario 64 DS

Clubhouse Games

GBA games:
WarioWare has single system two player minigames; the only other GBA cart I know of that does this controller-split style multiplayer is Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Chu Chu Rocket! Unsure if it has single cart, though I don't see why it wouldn't.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords.

Any of the Mario Advance games for Mario Bros.

Game & Watch Gallery 4

Konami Arcade Advanced (finally, 2-player VS. Yie-Ar Kung Fu!)

GB:
Faceball 2000
F-1 Race
Penguin Wars
Tetris
Wave Race

PSP:
Street FIghter Alpha 3 MAX
Darkstalkers Chronicle (though the loading times are apparently pretty bad)
Power Stone Collection
Doubtless a bunch of games I've never heard about

Neo Geo Pocket Color:
SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
Gals' Fighter :retrogames:

Other:
????

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking I might make some cheap shirts that say things like "I want to play Tetris with you" to handle the "matchmaking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've never played a final fantasy game.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

99.99% of turn-based RPGs are bad, including every Final Fantasy that uses the formula.

The good turn-based RPGs that exist
>The Mario RPGs
>Chrono Trigger
>Earthbound*
>Mother 3
>Undertale I guess maybe but it's a stretch to count it
>Pokemon, arguably

*Combat is actually really mediocre, verging on bad, and the presentation is what just barely saves it, incl. auto-victory.

The entire genre is founded on gameplay mechanics that are user-hostile and the only way to make a good one is to break as many of those cliches as possible or massively underemphasize them in favor of more engaging mechanics - such as action commands, visual novel progress, raising virtual pets, or watching paint dry.

This sums up how I feel, but the only ones I've enjoyed were pokemon. I just get so bored with them. My favorite RPG is Final Lap Twin.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Theoretically, you could make a nintendo av cable that had simultaneous composite, svideo, and rgb output, couldn't you? They're always outputting, right?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah I don't want to have to keep a spreadsheet or journal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

All my turbo stuff is from my childhood. :smug:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Speaking of turbo stuff, db-elec is putting more db-grafx boosters (modless rgb/svideo/composite) for sale tomorrow 4pm EST. Mine works great, totally worth it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

Grab Splatoon, you won't regret it. Also Bayonetta 2. :toot:

Don't forget yoshi's woolly world. It feels thoroughly nintendo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Bayonetta 2 and no mention of Wonderful 101?

Hey there, nbd but just letting you know you can echo and add to someone's recommendations without coming off as criticizing them. Sorry to call you out on this, I've started noticing this and it's become a pet peeve. I've probably also been guilty of this, but will try to be better!

You know, I probably came off this way in my post:

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't forget yoshi's woolly world. It feels thoroughly nintendo.

Though I honestly meant the "don't forget" to be directed towards the person that just got the Wii U. More like a "don't overlook this game".

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 19, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zand posted:

just letting you know, you can assume that people are not being assholes instead of assume they are. isn't it nicer to just change your perspective instead of ask everyone else to change their behavior? sorry to call you out on this, but pffffffffffff zzzzzzz

Sorry if I worded that poorly. I didn't mean to assume bad intentions. Some context is lost in text-only communications and people can phrase things in ways that are interpreted very differently depending on the reader. I think that making posts like "how could you forget _____?" come off as elitist. Suggestions should always be welcome, but don't imply someone hosed up if they didn't suggest what you wanted them to.

Even if the posters aren't sensitive to this it could make this thread come off as insular to observers and prevent new people from coming in.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

That's easy! The Visteon Dockable Entertainment!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment

Plays GBA cartridges and DVD movies. Mounts easily in most vehicles. Nice 10 inch screen for the games and a decent wireless controller and matching headphones

I love things like this. I wonder if it just had like an SP motherboard with a special display adapter inside.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And all for the low low price of $1299 USD.

Yeah, they're way cheaper now of course ("only" $400 on eBay), but crazy high prices are expected when you can only buy from a car dealer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Got my CustomGameCases.com order last week, a dozen N64 and one GB to try out. The GB case is quite similar to a DS case, but obviously fitted for a gameboy cart inside. Cart fits snugly, clips for the manual inside.

The N64 cases seem to be the exact material of VHS rental cases, which I'm sure everyone here is quite familiar with. Cart doesn't quite snap in like the gameboy version, just kind of rests in the mold, but the case does snap closed securely and cart doesn't rattle or anything while closed. One thing that would have been a dealbreaker had I caught it beforehand is that the N64 cases don't have clips for the manual. Their cases for other systems do have them, but checking the sample pictures more carefully, what I assumed were the clips on these were shadows from the fasteners. :doh: The manual does fit into the lid part you just have to be careful closing it back up.

That was the only disappointment. They're nice plastic boxes for other plastic boxes for your shelf. The cover prints are done well enough. I can take some detailed pics if anyone is interested.

I bought a bunch of the GB ones, but now that I have both gb and gba everdrives I'm thinking I don't need them. Cases take up a lot of room. Great if you have the room, though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just remember: the best setup is the one that gets people playing games!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Aladdin is one of my favorite genesis games, but I can't get into the snes one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would love to see a remake of aladdin a la DuckTales.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

You know, normally I don't go in for bootlegs, but I had to order this one.

:eyepop:

that's incredible!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm playing the 3ds chibi robo game, and it's really good, but the real world products are jarring and the long in game descriptions are essentially commercials. Were the other games in the series like that?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is correct.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Hopefully the PS2 is considered "retro" enough for this thread! I looked and couldn't find any other threads related to it.

I'm looking for a recommended capture card for the PS2, either the composite or component cables; doesn't matter to me, I have both. I'm not interested in really recording video or anything, but I am interested in playing the PS2 on my PC in a window, as if it were any other program, and I'm under the impression that capture cards are the way to do that. There's a lot of options, and I can't tell what's crap because I have zero experience with this, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone had any suggestions.

I know that emulators are kinda the perfect thing for this, but I'm nothing if not nostalgic and would vastly prefer to play on the PS2 proper.

I also know that dongles like this exist which convert the PS2 straight to HDMI, but that would obviously take up the whole monitor and not allow me to use my PC on it, but that's what I'll just have to live with if I can't find a better option. Still a lot better than dragging around an old, heavy rear end TV.

I haven't used capture cards in a long time, so they may have improved, but I remember them adding an amount of lag that would make playing non-chess games unbearable.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's not really that bad, maybe four frames. Now that is enough of a lag that you probably don't want to show off a bullet hell shooter, but for recording most things for the Internet it's not going to kill you.

Like I said, it's been a while. Glad to hear things have gotten better than my ATI All-In-Wonder

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

d0s posted:

the music tho :cry: it's like europe's only frame of reference for 80's game music is C64 warbles

Parts of it remind me of impossamole (tg-16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YKfNE53Pg&t=298s

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fruitpunch posted:

I have this GameCube NR reader that I acquired several years back before moving countries. I came home this weekend and decided to take some pictures and figured this was place would be the best way to get info on it.
After some basic testing, it won't boot any JPN or USA retail games, which makes sense, but it won't boot the disc that came with it either. Is it possible to get more (blank) discs or does anyone know if the system can boot retail discs with a mod or anything?
https://imgur.com/gallery/C6VEv

Whoa that's really pretty.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mush Man posted:

My brother just picked up a Nintendo 64 but it didn't come with a video cable. Are the aftermarket ones any good or should I look for an official multi-out? We just need composite for now.

If it's just composite anything should work.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

No mention of Blood Wake, the best (and probably only) boat shooting game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzrkzusAJM

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I know it's not all that 'Retro' but I've always been fascinated by the Game Boy Micro. Anyone have one of these that could give some impressions? Screen too small to be useful? I keep considering it for games that I have yet to finish like Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. I have an old as dirt flash cart for GBA somewhere I know too.

The screen is beautiful and I would have no problem using it for long periods of time if the hand cramping didn't prevent that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

Rats they are sold out of the SNES cables. Hopefully they don't take a while to return in stock like the Dreamcast flashcart. Speaking of components, has anyone done the N64 mod for RGB yet?

My n64's been disassembled since I started and realized I needed to order an extra part.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

That a lot cheaper, but I have no experience in soldering.

Note that the one linked is only for a subset of n64 models.

quote:

N64 consoles must be the early NS1XXXXX serial numbers in order to be compatible. Will not work with later models.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It blows my mind that the music in the village gets lower when you enter a building. I don't know why, it just seems like that wouldn't work with the CD audio. So awesome.

Ugh I'm going to end up buying an SD2SNES just for ALTTP.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phantasium posted:

It... it still happens guys don't give up on your search.

Are you supposed to pair it with the composite cables?

Nice!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

The fact that they don't know how to punctuate properly gives me even less confidence that they know how to dump a ROM of it. It's going to rot on that board.

Do you know who Michel Ancel is?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Miles McCloud posted:

I've never played a Zelda game longer than half an hour or so. This is the one I'd most like to remedy, as Breath of the Wild looks like something I'd enjoy. Where in the series is best to start? I'm thinking Zelda DX for GBC looks like a good place personally.

Start with A Link to the Past, I think it represents Zelda in it's purest form.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This gonna be nerdy af and very specific, but does anyone have a youtube playlist of "christmasy"(or just wintery) sounding video game music? I'm listening to "White Land" on the F-Zero soundtrack and it's making me want to listen to some seasonally appropriate VGM.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, but I know I'm really slow at these things and trying to get ahead of the game if I have to put one together myself. For halloween I'm pretty much just listening to various mario ghost house songs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't, but I could name a few tracks to get you started on making your own, should needs must:

Diamond Dust Zone (Sonic 3D Blast, Saturn/Win 98)
Snow Island (Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, PS1/Saturn/Win 98)
Freezeezy Peak (Banjo-Kazooie, N64/Xbox 360)
"Snowman" (Earthbound variant, SNES)
Freeze Man's Stage (Mega Man VII, SNES)
"Buried in the Snow" (Final Fantasy VII, PS1)
"In a Snowbound Land" (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, SNES)
"Jangle Bells" (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, SNES)
"A Sport to Catch a Mackerel" (James Pond 2: Operation Robocod, Genesis/SNES/Amiga/friggin' everything since for some reason)
Shiver Star (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, N64)
"Cold Reception in Shiver City" (Paper Mario, N64)
"Jingle Bell 2042" (Snatcher, MSX/PC-8801/PC Engine/Sega CD/PS1/Saturn)
"Take the Snow Train" (NiGHTS Into Dreams..., Saturn)
"Welcome to Christmas NiGHTS" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"Jack Frost's Chime" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"Dream Bells" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"White Hare" (Jazz Jackrabbit 2: Holiday Hare, Windows 98)
Holidaus (Day) (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '94, MS-DOS)
Holidaus (Night) ("Silent Night") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '94, MS-DOS)
Bloxonius ("Little Drummer Boy") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95, MS-DOS)
Candion ("Carol of the Bells") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95, MS-DOS)
"Hot Snow" (Fantasy Zone, Arcade)
"The Frigid Sea" (Wario Land 3, Game Boy Color)

As for Halloween music... uh... "Good King Moggle Mog"? (You can't tell me that isn't "This is Halloween". I suppose "Up at Dawn" is the intended Halloween All Saints Wake theme, but...)

Discount Viscount posted:

I made one a few years ago

Some of the videos have been deleted and I forgot what songs they were, but it's a good start. Not in any particular order, you're probably just as well off hitting shuffle.

I also made a few Halloween ones: one where I pretty much threw in everything, and then a couple that basically divide that list between silly/uptempo/melodic and spooky/atmospheric, depending on if you want tunes or want to set the mood for trick or treaters/a nerdy haunted house. I have not revised any of them in ages.

HECKOWEEN

I may have to go add some of these to my list!

Wow thanks everyone! I'm all prepared for November 25th, which is when Christmas season begins.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is it possible that it was just so unrealistic for the time that no reasonable person thought it was representative of the actual game?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My parents had a trinitron for about 20 years that had an rgb scart input. In Florida.

EDIT: I'm wrong, it had RGB, but not an SCART connector. Looks closer to an IDE cable.
(not my picture)

The pinout is in the manual, so we probably could have gotten something rigged up.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/851678/Sony-Kv-20xbr.html?page=19#manual

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 4, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

I got this today for £25.

Not the best price looking at what Ebay says right now but I'm still really happy with it. It looks and feels like it hasn't been used since the PS1's prime. Even the controller analog sticks feel nice and solid rather than ridiculously loose like most old analog sticks. Just dusted it down, wired it up and played some THPS3 and it was drat great. Maybe I'll actually work on getting a collection for this thing given PS1 games don't seem to have spiralled in price like cartridge games.

Neato. I really think THPS3 is the best in the series.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ofecks posted:

home ports of these games started having tate (pronounced "tah-tay", JP word meaning "to stand") modes that gave you the True Arcade Experience™

You are blowing my drat mind right now. I always read this as 'tate. Like, a dumb way of shortening the word rotate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I don't get with the NES Mini; If they're going to save a few bucks and not include a power supply (it uses USB) to minimize e-Waste or whatever, why the gently caress did Nintendo not just do the sane thing and use their goddamn 3DS power supplies instead? The ones readily available for about $15 Australian and used with most of the Nintendo handhelds for the past decade?

Because the idea is to use something that you have lying around, and the intended audience are more likely to have usb chargers than 3DS chargers.

• Locked thread