Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Problem description: General instability for a <1 year old computer. Programs will crash seemingly at random, even when the computer is not under much load. For example I could be browsing the forums with no other tabs/programs open and Chrome will crash. Video games will crash sporadicly too, sometimes after 5 minutes and sometimes after hours. Occasionally the computer will hard reset without any BSOD or errors popping up.

Attempted fixes: Reinstalled windows, swapped out hard drives, ran memtest

Recent changes: This is a pretty new build. It seemingly worked fine for the past year but within the last month it has gotten more and more unstable. The only old component is a 5 year old PSU, however the PSU was only actively used for 2 years before I stored it.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

System specs:

SeaSonic S12 II 500W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Ready
MSI B85M-E45 LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell Quad-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1150 65W BX80646I54570S Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 480GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-480G-G25
EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card (manufacturer says it requires 300W or more)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

One interesting note is that when I run memtest using a single core it goes through multiple (5+) passes without a single error. But when I force multi-threaded memtest always freezes (requiring a hard reset) at the same point in test #7. In my mind this narrows the problem down to one of two things. First, the PSU is failing when drawing a lot of power, even though it should be able to handle both the GPU and CPU. Second is that there is some issue with the CPU in regards to threading.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU or CPU laying around to swap out. Is there another way to test which of these components is failing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.

Take one stick of RAM out and see if you can pass memtest test #7. If it fails then try just the other single stick of RAM.

Also make sure you use the latest version here:
http://www.memtest.org/

• Locked thread