Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
My internet dropped before I could post a witty reply..

This op is worse than group-work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

EvilElmo posted:

Feel free to keep doing that. Just maybe use it for a time when you're actually arguing with someone, rather than arguing against your own created argument.

Shut up, you loving idiot. Llama too, you're both as childish in your approaches to confrontation as my 7 year old nephew. He isn't the brightest kid either, but he's great at anything to do with his hands. Too bad neither of you appear to be good with your hands, or else your posting wouldn't be so poo poo.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

What's it like to poo poo out of your fingers, for the world to bear witness??

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Amethyst posted:

drat. These owns are unbeleivable. Almost as unbelievable as the epic escalation in the last post, where you span out a hugely topical reference to your 7 year old nephew none of us know, to the brilliant run on insult "if you could use your hands, like my 7 year old nephew can (???) your posts wouldn't be bad"

Boom. Boom crash.

Epic Escalation is now the name of my new band, thanks!

ps. I don't have a 7 year old nephew, I lied, I have a problem.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ohh Tomorrow When the War Began is on, it's quite reflective of our current state.

But replace the occupying force with our terribly incompetent government and the rising numbers of right-winged (racist) people taking over public debates on all matters, and it's pretty close!

Also the ACL, the ACL are as terrible as an occupying force.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Syria and specifically Aleppo has had a daily occurrence of war crimes for too long to remember... Yet of course we do not care, not down here in the land of plenty (plenty of racism and self-interest).

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

V for Vegas posted:

Sovereign citizens - batshit crazy people who think there is a magic form of legal words that exempts them from the operation of normal laws (including putting weird punctuation in your name like "Malcom-Ieuan: Roberts", and arguing that all courts are Admiralty courts and have no jurisdiction on land - which is why they call themselves 'freemen on the land') . There is a Canadian case from a few years ago where the judge goes through the whole thing and demolishes it.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

That's a long definition of "Idiots who admire their own rights above others, in all ways", but I like it nonetheless.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

All this talk of Desmond Leak, now I want to meet this 'man'.

Though I'd probably break too many laws, so there's that...

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Urghh I'm so tired of seeing/hearing people talk about such trivialities as Political Correctness and SJW's.. Luckily only a few people that I know are stupid enough to regurgitate this poo poo.

It's always the same people, and they just can't seem to get over whatever internal conflict it is that pushes them to communicate their frustrations with the world, on a daily basis.
I know it's a manifestation of multiple thought processes and behavioural traits and tendencies, but to think that loving SJW's and PC Gone Mad are worthy of your utmost attention is loving skewed.

I'm just ranting, so feel free to ignore me, but if I don't vent after a long day of classes and group work I will forever be bitter at this cruel world..

Hearing the ridiculous pejorative of SJW is like the new I'm Not A Racist, But.. of indicating someone is about to poo poo out of their mouth. gently caress anyone who uses SJW as a serious label, especially as a pejorative, loving neoliberals....

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

drat that looks weird, didn't realise robocop has become the new word-filter over the abbreviated Social Justice Warrior, lol what a time to be alive!?! *grabs rope*

E: God drat snipe, gently caress this poo poo.

You can have the quality of snipe that this thread deserves you filthy animals.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Patience, Redcordial. We're only human.

This is comforting.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

hooman posted:

I feel you man. We're all loving animals in here.

EDIT: Celibate Animals

In this crazy world we are all just animals locked in cages, responding to the hands that feed us. I'm normally okay with that, it just gets you down sometimes you know.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Nice meltdown.

Thank you, I thought so too.

Just releasing pressure from the small frustrations that occur in daily life, it feels rather nice.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Tokamak posted:

who knew that ljdrama has become a political force to be reckoned with.

I had never heard of ljdrama before, google search left me all :o

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I had one guy in my sociology of religion and secularity class start talking about how his grandma's a racist, and how annoying it is that every second word out of her mouth is a racial slur, but you know some of the stuff she says does worry him a bit like how Muslims get free housing and welfare. He thought that was unfair and should stop. :negative:

This is the type of poo poo that really gets to me, the regurgitation of utter nonsense that people just seem to think is totally acceptable both factually and morally.

I get a lot of similar outbursts of misplaced and ignorant views in some of my classes, too... I thought psychology students were meant to be smarter, but we aren't all mature (age) students.

loving amateurs, showing their stupidity so openly, how teachers cope with that type of poo poo I never know.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

In one of my classes just last week, we had to describe a time we felt a strong sense of loss and grief, and how it felt.

Someone talked about how they lost a big game and dropped a ranking, while not being able to collect a new skin(?) in a game called League of Legends.....

In the army I faced some stupid, but this poo poo...

At least it wasn't a racist or sexist outburst, which happen far too often.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Recoome posted:

yeah look as a psychology student I too am flabbergasted at the poo poo opinions some of my friends have (such as how it's not xenophobia when it's justified?????????)

It's terrible when you hear friends/family/colleagues say such crap, because you know your forehead will be hosed in the morning from how hard you need to face-palm.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ungulateman posted:

league of legends is serious business, friend

i think it's hilariously stupid to talk about grief in relation to "i didn't win my promotions into gold v" in public, but hey, manchildren go to tertiary education too

like me

Hahah I knew someone would pick me up on it, but I do have a little hatred of that game, though I've never played it.

I grew up playing DotA in my teens from its creation, and loved that game. So naturally once I realised there was a seemingly rip-off version of it, I've hated it since. These classmates who mention it in class with serious intent really don't help either...

Sometimes I play GTA and pretend it's set in Australia, and go on massive rampages. Those are good days.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

SynthOrange posted:

Lots of drinking

Thank you for your service.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Tokamak posted:

You need to have at least 80% correct think to be able to post in this thread.

Amethyst posted:

Lol this is completely wrong, you thickie.

Statistical error, run analysis again.

*Though the context of that particular Amethyst post is half correct, the other >95% of their posts contradict said statement

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The Peccadillo posted:

The majority of people who start undergraduates in psychology studies are psychotic and strange control freaks, who also gum up the works of the philosophy departments, and do not last long. Genuinely capable and interested people are rare and beautiful and cool as hell

To clarify: you're the former and gently caress off

Uhh, okay?

I'm not sure what I said exactly that seemed to annoy you so much, and I'm not talking about 1st year students here in case you think I'm somehow unfairly venting about young students?

You could have you know, left some advice if you think I'm clogging up your precious posts, or just contributed like many others have.

I'll probably last quite long though, in case you were really wondering. My peers keep telling me how painful it is to go on to masters of psych and beyond, and I love torturing myself and my grades are much higher than I expected, so there's that.

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 9, 2016

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

"Census.abs.gov.au is DOWN for everyone."

Beaten.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ha. Serves me right for not doing it before heading out for dinner with family.

I hope it didn't gently caress with people who were currently filling out their census forms. That would make a lot of older people unnecessarily frustrated :(

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

bigis posted:

Lol the census question about housework is a loving trap. Come on mate it's winter, I haven't had to mow the lawn.

I mowed this weekend just gone :(

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

freebooter posted:

Just read the comments if you want to know how most Australians, if pressed, will react:

- We're stopping thousands of people dying at sea
- They're just economic migrants anyway
- All the bleeding heart greenies working there encourage them to hurt themselves so they come to Australia
- It's the other asylum seekers who are the pedophiles and we don't want people like that coming here
- I'm a stupid racist piece of poo poo and my butt stinks and I like to smell my own butt

Sadly unless you are part of the minority of Australian's who need to see this systematic cruelty changed, you will be swayed towards one of the above justifications :(

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Bifauxnen posted:

Anyone know of any snap events being organised to rally for refugees, in the wake of the latest Guardian news? Between the 2000 incident reports and boat towbacks, seems like the perfect time to tap some outrage and get demonstrations going.

I'm not aware of any snap events so far, but there's this event scheduled for Aug27 which is a Saturday.

Here's the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/521484394717053/

And here's the details of the event for those who aren't Facebook users:

"*Close the camps and bring the refugees here
*Permanent protection not Temporary visas
*End Islamophobic scapegoating
*Boat rescues not boat turnbacks

Speakers include: Adam Bandt Greens MP for Melbourne, Pamela Curr from the ASRC and more TBA

After the election, increase the pressure to close the camps
During the election, Malcolm Turnbull and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton tried to use the refugee issue to win votes. But despite the scare campaign, the election was far from an endorsement of Turnbull. The Coalition only narrowly avoided election defeat, and holds the thinnest of majorities.

The end of August marks 15 years since the Tampa affair, when then Liberal Prime Minister John Howard sent the SAS onto the Tampa to stop a boatload of refugees reaching Australia.

Now the Coalition’s promises to “stop the boats” and keep out refugees are no longer the winning electoral formula they seemed in the past.

Manus Island set to close

The system of offshore detention is facing a major crisis over Manus Island. On 26 April the PNG Supreme Court held that detention on Manus Island was unlawful and the detention centre would have to close.

Further court action in PNG is under way, in an effort to force both PNG and Australia to act on the ruling.

But there is nowhere else for the Manus asylum seekers and refugees to come but Australia. The same is true on Nauru, where there are no arrangement for permanent resettlement of those found to be refugees. We need to keep up the pressure to demand the government “Bring them here”.

And we need to demand all refugees receive permanent visas, not Temporary Protection Visas where the threat of being sent back to danger hangs over them.

The tide of public opinion is shifting. A strong majority of people now want those found to be refugees on Manus Island and Nauru to come to Australia. And the overwhelming majority will be found to be refugees.

The 267 asylum seekers in Australia from Nauru and Manus Island have still not been returned to Manus or Nauru, thanks to the “Let them stay” movement earlier this year.

However at least one of those 267 has been taken to Christmas Island. We need to step up the pressure to close the camps and bring them all here."

I'll be there as usual, and I'll be getting as much footage as I can with my new gopro for a project I'm working on.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Seagull posted:

we could have video of that dude self immolating and no one would take notice

Yeah :(

I've personally witnessed people try to justify their racial discrimination by saying such filth like "These people burn themselves alive in front of their family just because they can't get their way? Why would we want them here?"

And this one.. "He only lit himself on fire because they don't have access to weapons like guns and stuff, he would have loved to kill everyone there if he could"

Human makes me sad, more oft than not.. :(

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cartoon posted:

Are you an Amethyst parachute account?

Needs more detail. How will the potato be sliced up? Will he be made into mash, or some fancy potato bake?

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Endman posted:

Specifically I'm referencing this:

His first response to the Nauru files.

It was disgusting to see, but we knew what his response was going to be :(

The quote is also eerily close to one of the examples I gave here yesterday of poo poo I've heard people say about the asylum seeker on Nauru who self-immolated.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cartoon posted:

I saw it as more of a Freudian slip from a poster actually trying to keep it on the QT.

-/-

Well looks like bloody revolution is the only way forward which brings me back to the opinion I held when I was an angry teen who thought that was the answer for everything. Is this progress?

Good ol' parapraxes, serving our unconscious up on a platter for the world to see!

*I'm studying psychoanalysis as an elective this semester. Our lecturer sadly, has plenty of material from Auspol to mention for reference. The internal conflict is strong, and very open in our political rhetoric.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

gently caress IBM. I'm also so glad that I completely paid for, legally and definitely not pirated, SPSS so I can get stats work done at home rather than needing to be on campus.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Endman posted:

It's a really difficult question to answer - whether or not Australians care less if an abused child is indigenous or a refugee.

I was thinking about that last night, while trying to fall asleep ahead of a 6am start, no less...

I nearly cried myself to sleep last night.

The answer is most likely that people care less about refugees, I think the geographical link/proximity to Indigenous Australians accounts for something.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Which is hosed up, given that we could all become refugees in the space of a day. The same can't be said about becoming Indigenous, and having to deal with the pressures that comes with that.

Australians are just confused, angry (scared) humans striving for significance.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Endman posted:

That's because it's difficult to move past supporting the offshore detention of refugees, an approach that has led to the abuse of children, regardless of what your other policies are.

Take the Greens you get annoyed about so much. I agree with most of their policies, it's why I'm a member, but if one day RDN turned around at National Conference and said "oh hey child abuse is fine let's fund it", I'd quit in a heartbeat.

There are just some issues you can't, and it's morally unconscionable to, move past.

This, exactly.

Then again, you need a moral compass in the first place before you can get a bearing on any morality.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Endman posted:

EvilElmo is right about one thing - this thread is garbage.

Trash belongs in the tip, after all.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I can't believe she honestly stated that the squatting toilets themselves aren't a threat, but it's a slippery slope and the Australian way of life starts to be eroded with the introduction of dynamic toileting.

Jesus... At least our villains are completely transparent, and obvious with their ideological flaws.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Similar to our Supreme Leaders, maybe the Chinese Government believe their borders also transcend physical borders, and they can effectively declare any area to be within their borders.

Who knows!

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You probably can't until its too late. But a war with China would be absolutely hosed.

Tomorrow when the war beChang.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Has anyone here ever attended an event, or been a member of the Golden Key Society? Even if you know someone who has, any information would be extremely helpful, thanks.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

open24hours posted:

About as valuable as Mensa.

I figure this will be most peoples responses, but if there are even one or two great networking opportunities in the coming years of studying, I think it would be worth it.

I'm often wrong, but all you need is one good peer within a group to make associating with it all the worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

open24hours posted:

There are plenty of other groups you could join that would offer similar, and almost certainly better, opportunities. You're studying psychology right? Why not look into something like http://www.psychology.org.au/ ?

I've looked into the APS and am really interested in becoming a member, I'm just finding it hard to scrape the money together for it considering it's only a yearly membership. It's not a lot of money, but I've been unemployed for quite a while and unsuccessful interviews are causing me to drink more beer = even less money left over.

The GKS is only a once off payment of a similar price, so before I spend any money I'll make sure to attend the initiating events and assess the worthiness.

If I don't like what I see, I will become a member of the APS within the month.

• Locked thread