Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

drat SL, someone changed your avatar to be of something contrary to what you actually believe? Truly you have suffered like no other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RichardA posted:

South Australia

4 Liberal 3 NXT 3 Labor 1 Green 1 Family First

drat it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ScreamingLlama posted:

It doesn't matter how many times you tell me to shut up, I'm going to keep shitposting because you're not mods and there's gently caress all you can do to shut me up.

I pwnt you all by hijacking August and you're trying to hide your butthurt by continuing to antagonize me even though antagonism is what started this thread in the first place. You're literally incapable of learning or admitting fault.

If I didn't know any better, I would have mistaken you for Liberal politicians.

Don't worry, I'm sure someone else will soon start a new Auspol thread while telling everyone loudly that theirs is the real continuation of Auspol with this being a takeover by someone hostile to the group.

Each thread will have two posters.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RichardA posted:

Totals:
Coalition 30
Labor 26
Greens 9
One Nation 4
NXT 3
LDP 1
FF 1
Lambie
Hinch.

Good work on the DD Turnbull!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mad Katter posted:

I don't see the huge problem with it. A Party's second and third candidates are always going to get lower primary votes and rely on the flow of preferences, right?

I don't consider that to be fundamentally undemocratic.

Sounds like Muir is advocating for the official non-recognition of political parties altogether, in which case :getin:.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Christ, the very first line of that:

quote:

I will not now be a candidate for the position of UN secretary general but I offer these reflections to the next SG and to the UN member states

As for the UN itself, I think it's going to slide into long term irrelevance, as much as that is a shame.

After the US/UK/AUS sidestepped around the UN in the invasion of Iraq the decline started in full.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Is anyone else finding hilarious the new senators who, apparently unfamiliar with the role of the senate, are demanding this and that? Dickheads, you're a house of review, not as house of suggestion. Try for a lower house seat if you want to dictate the policies put up for review, but in the meantime, stfu. Special shout outs to our incompetent media for not ridiculing these thickies.

Yes, no senators could ever influence the government like they have been doing every single time one party doesn't have a majority.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nibbles! posted:

Yeah, the Senate was specifically set up NOT to be a house of review. It was intended to be the State's house.

This.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/Senate_Briefs/Brief10

The lower and upper houses have very similar powers, the main difference is that the lower house majority gets to form government, while the upper house gets extra powers of review.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Also UQ scientists try brew beer from vegemite. They get horrible awful swill.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I honestly don't know enough about this stuff to bother continuing this argument, I just really couldn't give a single gently caress about China taking some water and would prefer not to die in a nuclear holocaust over it. It's as simple and as non-thought out as that.

I suppose an analogy would be if Indonesia decided to claim the Tasman sea.

This whole thing is one of those no-win situations. Force freedom of movement and don't recognize China's claim, tension builds.

Ignore the issue and let China do whatever, we are effectively telling all the other nations in the area to suck it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is NSW still talking about expanding privatised prisons? Wonder if the recent US announcement will affect public perception of the idea.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

At Home with Julia was at its best when it was bouncing caricatures of politicians off each other and/or mundane events. The first episode was the peak because it was just that: really good parodies of Katter, Oakeshott and Windsor, at a dinner.

I'd say it was a shame that the show didn't really do anything with any Liberal MPs, but for unfathomable reasons to me nobody in Australian television has even managed to cobble together a decent Tony Abbott character. Abbott basically does most of the work for you, and still nobody was able to do a half-decent character beyond half-assing his voice and maybe a combover.

Probably for much the same reason that there isn't a whole lot of Trump parodying going on. When the real thing is bizarre enough you reach a point where there's nothing to parody.

I mean with John Howard you could make jokes about him being old fashioned and base physical caricature around his appearance. How would you do that about Abbott? He's so old fashioned, I bet he'd knight Prince Phillip...ho ho ho what a lark wait what do you mean he actually did it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

So I was gonna say this too but I wasn't sure it was true. Is it seriously non binding to actual legislation?

Yep, it carries no more legal weight than a Newspoll.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

:supaburn:

goddammit Xenophons' going to support the pleb

He's officially saying they will announce a position later this week. Meaning he wants to have Turnbull grovelling at his feet for the next 72 hours and see what he can drag out of him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

But surely she doesn't expect to play Prime Minister unscrutinised. Surely she expects Parliament to do its job.

It is in nobody's interest to just let a government play, unchecked, with public funds. When governments get value for that money, we are all better off. When they waste it, we all lose.

Those who most need a government to run the economy well, to manage its spending well and to get value for money are those at the lowest end of the socio-economic spectrum.

When the economy is mismanaged, the really well-off miss out on an overseas trip or lose value on assets - shares, the beach house or whatever. The less well-off lose their job, maybe their house. And many never recover.

Keeping a check on the government is that important.

Amanda Vanstone, 2011

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So what are the rules on introducing private members bills or bills from opposition? Make Turnbull squirm.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cartoon posted:

This is exactly what is the expected outcome.

Have the government fund 'both' sides of the 'argument'. Imagine if the pro female circumcision lobby demanded that they were given an equal voice... A more relevant example are climate deniers. Yes your fringe view should be given exactly the same weight as the mainstream scientific opinion. Oh and we should teach creationism alongside evolution as an equal alternative. This is such a common tactic surely it has a label by now.

Check the post above yours.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Google is full of weird things:

http://www.didmalcolmturnbullstrangleacat.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Plotterboy posted:

Theres a new thread?

Barely.