Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SeanBeansShako posted:

THE TIGER TANK IS UNDER THE HOUSE!

A perfect illustration of why the tiger is overrated. A good tank is a tank that is there where you need it and the basement of a residence is not ideal for strategic mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mlmp08 posted:

You know what else can jump?

Your link is MIA.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

nothing to seehere posted:

Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight had been updated with glacis etc on the outside in the classic star Fort style - built in the 1590s by an Italian engineer because the custodian was a cousin of the Queen and kept moaning he needed better fortifications to fight the spanish.

This however was a fort you could ignore: Even if you had to land on the Isle of Wight (you could probably ignore it and just land on the mainland) it was in the centre of the island, and most the towns etc were on the coast,so could just be raided and plundered by a fleet.

Edit: see: the start of a star Fort.

excellent post/username combo

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Watched from my balcony jets circling back to the lake for the Chicago air and water show while catching up on this thread. Good stuff. From that horrifying Warsaw story the narrator mentions how getting shot in a full stomach is much worse than an empty one. Any truth to that or just an old soldier's tale?

Also I have deck of cards of naval spotting for ships from the 40s through the 60s. It's missing a card since I gave the ship class my dad served on to him. Useless as a deck and it's just a repro, so anyone want it? Thought one of you naval nerds might anyway.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And also being spread out over a century versus a decade.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

gohuskies posted:

I'd be interested if it's still around, do you have PMs? Happy to PayPal or whatever you the cost of shipping of course.

All yours and I do have PMs, hit me up with your shipping info.

edit to contribute something slightly: while the US didn't have a third nuke, they did have the material needed and could have made one fairly quickly. So yeah, operation unthinkable is... unthinkable.

e2: obv the time frame of this hypothetical matters a lot

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HEY GAL posted:

when gustavus adolphus died, montecuccoli was heartbroken and wrote an ode in his honor

Are you handling the internal conflict alright?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Why did China bother to salvage pre-WWII and forty year-old sub HMS Poseidon?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Some Icelandic goose hunters found an oldass sword: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37285805

Looks like it was made from cast iron!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Fuligin posted:

One of my Latin professors in college once described the gladii armed Roman cohort as a threshing machine steadily mulching and stabbing its way through unprepared Gallic shield walls, and the image has stayed with me forever after.

The opening scene of Rome did such a good job of conveying well-oiled murder machine. Except for Titus Pullo of course!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Surprised the auditory requirement is so lax as I'd imagine being able to hear orders in a loud metal box would be important.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The "battle" of the Medway was a pretty lopsided naval engagement too.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Love all those tanks that look like something you'd doodle in grade school.

Great posts thanks for burning the midnight diesel

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ArchangeI posted:

I hear the Atheist Professor SPGs can get knocked out by a Marine with a sufficiently strong right hook though

I read that in an email somewhere

And then Einstein invented the atomic bomb and clapped.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I suggest a name change to : Pontius Pilates

It's been a regret for a while that I didn't register as that but name changes are too rich for my blood.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depends on how you define grass roots cottage industry - the French were certainly more centralized than the English,

Don't read those words too often!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Since this thread doubles as a codpiece enthusiast gathering place, here's a picture of somebody else very enthusiastic about codpieces:

And since we're a week away from the 235th anniversary of the Battle of Yorktown, have this cool Turnbull:

Looks like the Brits forgot to dye their flag :fsmug: :911: > :britain:

(thanks for all the hard work TT, the blog has been great, and now I'm going to go buy the kindle version; also p cool that Thatcher, Pitt the Elder, and Lord Palmerston all post in this thread)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

RC and Moon Pie posted:

e: This certainly isn't the football gameday thread.

Go Cubs!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Finster Dexter posted:

So I'm on the final chapter of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I need more awesome ww2 material. What should I read next? This is the only historical work I've ever read so anything else is new to me.

My dad suggested Killing Patton and I'm more than a little skeptical of Bill Oreilly's veracity on the subject.... I want the good stuff!

Wages of Destruction is all around excellent.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

bewbies posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

this summarizes my feelings on american military fetishism better than I've ever managed to articulate it

I post this regularly, sorry

Yeah, this was great and I hadn't seen it before and I've been reading these threads since admiral snackbar existed (I know it's from 2015). Sent it to my dad who spent nearly 25 years in the navy and decided to go into non-profits rather than defense contracting.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I.. I've been doing something wrong.

There are dozens of us!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TaurusTorus posted:

So this is an accurate representation of D&D peasants, so i know where that came from at elast.

I'm choosing to interpret this as Debate & Discussion peasants.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

So this is probably pretty common knowledge in this thread, but my friend asked me this and I didn't really have an answer: why was there no(large scale?) deployment of chemical/biological weapons in WW2? The technology has existed since WW1, after all.

Because of the experience with them in WWI was terrible enough that all the powers somehow stuck to not using them. Everybody had it on hand still, just in case...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Not part of a weapon but the ticking clock broadcast during Stalingrad had to be eerie.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
My dad (here's your opportunity my dad) was in the USN for nearly 25 years and he got flags from both the Saudi navy and the Soviet navy; I have both hung up even if they're pretty questionable. So long as it isn't nazi stuff you're probably okay.

So I say to myself.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mazz posted:

Went to school in the early 2000s in a Chicago suburb and I remember hearing about all of them, I even remember a piece of paper covering what all the colors/icons meant on their uniforms.

Really probably comes down to teacher/district/state, as mentioned.

Also went to school in Chicagoland but a bit later and like your experience it was covered pretty extensively. Illinois is one of the few (only? I think that may have been the case when I was in high school) states to mandate genocide and holocaust education. My high school even added a semester class about it my senior year but that may have been because the teacher, who was Jewish in a Catholic school, had some sway in the history department since he taught AP Euro and world and the rest of the history teachers were mostly coaches. And no matter the class he would bring in a Jewish WWII vet to speak--I saw him four times myself--about his experiences at Omaha, the Ardennes, but mostly Buchenwald. Found out the speaker died recently but the man had a full and interesting life even outside of the war; he was the first Jewish mayor of a pretty WASPy suburb and encountered a discouraging amount of anti-semitism during his campaigning.

Interestingly, the historiography of the high school holocaust class in a Catholic school touched on Catholic (polish) priest persecution and the Vatican sheltering Jews a lot more than normal. I always assumed it's how he sold it to the administration. Sorry this rambled but he was a great history teacher and we can hopefully all appreciate that in this thread, right? :ohdear:

e:

OwlFancier posted:

Yes the EU isn't really a military alliance as the military powers are also in NATO, but it's going to be funny to think of Theresa May ringing up France and asking if they can please help out and also gently caress orf we're full.

Funny right up until she's ringing Le Pen.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 31, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
How about any ideas sent in by random comrade that actually were practical and useful?

You said 90% were nonsense which seemed generous for the no nonsense group.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tevery Best posted:

This really suggests to me we need a historical conspiracy theory thread so that I may share the glory of the Lechite Empire with you guys.

I don't think anyone would object to it here. I certainly wouldn't. Or in other words, just post.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Loving the Krengel diary and now there's even a cliffhanger!

Anyone know what gun this is?
https://imgur.com/gallery/Mf5J5
Was walking back from my friend's new place in Chicago and it was dark and the gun was covered in Christmas lights and I'm no expert on these things. Could probably get a daylight pic if need be.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Fangz posted:

I do seriously recommend people read that transcript I linked though,

http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/pdf/eng/English101.pdf

it's a truly fascinating document.

This was great thanks for the link. Loved this line:

WEIZSÄCKER: History will record that the Americans and the English made a bomb, and that at the same time the Germans, under the HITLER regime, produced a workable engine. In other words, the peaceful development of the uranium engine was made in GERMANY under the HITLER regime, whereas the Americans and the English developed this ghastly weapon of war.

It was surprising how quickly they realized the new balance of power.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
From several pages ago but thanks to whomever recommended the nuclear secrecy blog. I've been tearing through the archives.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Kassad posted:

There's lots of Atlantic Wall bunkers around a sea resort my family went to when I was a kid. Some of those up on scenic cliffs were used as basements for holiday homes. Then there's the ones built on sand dunes that slid down them far enough to be underwater at high tide (thousand_year_reich.txt).

I thought the thousand year reich was on the moon though?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

MikeCrotch posted:

Lies, the thousand year reich is going to have an airline exclusively made up of concordes and be led by Obergruppenfuehrer Joseph Smith one day

He does make for a dreamy fuehrer (and easily one of the most compelling characters on the show).

In related mil-hist related conspiracy theories, y'all ever heard of the one that nukes don't actually exist?

And while on the subject of conspiracy theories, is there a case of an historical one actually being discovered to be true? The best examples I can think of (Troy?) seem to fall more under the fringe theory ending up being true but that's with the benefit of hindsight. Suppose it's pretty dependent upon definitions and I'm clearly rambling.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

I undoubtedly found this from earlier in the thread or a previous incarnation but these (lengthy) blog posts own:

http://horseformer.blogspot.ca/2015/07/the-story-of-r100-and-r101-i-imperial.html?m=1

Bout the British airship competition between the state and private capital! One does not end well!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

thatbastardken posted:

you mean submarines?

they ain't diesel boats anymore

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So I'm probably missing something obvious but how does one in WWI get past their own barbed wire in an assault? Have your engineers remove it the night before or some such? Just blow it up?

Also I remember reading stories of Japanese soldiers who would lay across wire so their fellow troops could cross more quickly. Did that actually happen or is it just the Oriental mindset has no respect for human life type of poo poo?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

FastestGunAlive posted:

The hell is this poo poo man

Guess I should've put quotation marks around that part since "Oriental" and "type of poo poo" apparently weren't enough to make it clear I was being derisive of that attitude.

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

zoux posted:

It's probably good milhist threads don't predate tanks because what in the world would they have to talk about?

Oh to commit my own sin of hypocrisy, I remember when I was reading some Harry Turtledove book where WW1 also happens in the US and the Rebs referred to tanks as "barrels". Was there a debate over what to call tanks when they were invented or something?

Believe it was a trin blog post where some British eccentric on the Landships Committee argued for tanks to be named "armordillos". He was completely correct.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It should also be noted that Roman slavery, with some exceptions such as the mines, was slightly better than the chattel slavery of the Americas. It was more of lowest lot in life versus literally subhuman and property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

OwlFancier posted:

Own the means of reproduction.

The workers have nothing to lose but their clothes!