Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

HEY GAL, is honor the reason commanders in your period are expected to fight personally in battle?

i have some other questions about honor in the early modern period, too:

is there any connection between medieval codes of chivalry and early modern soldier's honor? do early modern duels share any similarities with judicial combats of earlier periods? did duels of honor also exist alongside judicial duels?

do your soldiers recognize any differences in honor between different regiments? i.e., can an entire regiment be seen as more or less honorable based on its performance? you mentioned that entire professions can be seen as honorable, so I'm curious how much honor can become a collective thing. also, how far did honor matter on the battlefield? is there any recognition of difference in demands of honor between combat on a "battlefield" and the kind of ambush based combat that the raiding parties would engage in?

finally, what are the differences between a more formal duel and the kind of fight over honor a non-elite soldier would get into? you've mentioned brawling with civilians and things like that. i assume duels would be reserved more for one's relative equal; is that the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

thanks for the great answers Hey Gal.

also, what does " finally the distinction that no man of the regiment, for a crime punishable by death, shall be executed for the same, but in such cases the culprit will be transferred to another regiment where such penalty may be carried out at any time." mean? is that a one-time get-out-of-execution-free card through being transferred out? or does the last bit imply that they will/may be executed for the crime, but in a different regiment where they won't tarnish the 8th Bohemian Dragoons?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

i think it's the second but with the caveat that since executions are carried out at the discretion of the oberst you can appeal and get a pardon (and according to some of my friends, many soldiers do). so it's not automatic but can happen "at any time"

that's interesting. you've said before how executioners are dishonorable, and i assume execution by one is extremely dishonorable? more so than the actual crime that was committed. do you know if crime in general is dishonorable? i assume it's not, if disputes to preserve honor are themselves often illegal. is it generally more-so the punishment for a crime that dishonors someone?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Conrad von Hotzendorf was tragically hosed up dude. His diary entries are dark as gently caress - he was obssessed with spending time with his mistress, and wrote constantly about how he was crushed by the weight of the responsibility of his position and the pressure to always show a strong masculine side that never backed down. A lot of correspondence revolves around how he didn't want to have to portray a tough manly man all the time and just wanted to spend time with his mistress and get away from the world.

Not that it excuses what he did, but I found the section in The Sleepwalkers on the demands of 1910's society on military men fascinating. They were supposed to be these unflappable paragons of manly manliness, which possibly led to the inflamed rhetoric and "Attack Attack Attack!" mentality of many of the players, but private writings show high ranking dudes on all sides to all be pretty tortured and stressed, often suffering from similar recurring nightmares and mental health problems.

I saw it speculated somewhere that the Harden-Eulenburg affair might have lead to an increase in militarist rhetoric & posturing by the Kaiser, as a way to debunk or dissuade rumors of homosexuality. Anyone know if there's truth to that, or is it too reductionist?