Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/oct/16/battle-of-hastings-revisited-reenact-1066

quote:

‘My wife describes my hobbies as: hitting people, hitting people, hitting people and hitting people. I used to practise Kendo, Japanese sword-fencing, in a church hall in Gillingham, and one day a big hairy guy said to me: “What’s going on in there then?” When I showed him, he told me he did sword and shield combat. He had long red hair down to his bum, so I said: “What are you then, a Viking?” He said he was, and I’ve been doing re-enactments ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If early modern people had access to googly eyes, what *wouldn't* they have put them on

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hitler liked the idea. The design was shown to him on his birthday, and he took a personal role in naming the tank. See also his personal interest in the Jagdtiger.

The IS2 didn't exist when the Jagdpanther was being designed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cessna posted:

The IS-2 didn't exist, but this did:

Yes, but the Panther's (and the Stug's) 75mm can deal with that fine. It might make sense as a 'what if they put out even heavier tanks' contingency plan to be plotting these 88 and 128mm tank destroyers in 1942 (see e.g. the T-34 57), but to go into production?

I mean the real problem with the Jagdpanther isn't that it's not better than a Panther (it's a quite different beast), it's that it doesn't offer much over a Stug.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cessna posted:

Sure, why not? They've got Panther hulls, and they've got 88mm guns. Why not use them to make a vehicle that's cheaper than a Tiger but just as good at shooting things?

(Edit: I see Jobbo and Gorbash beat me to it here.)

They didn't just magic the jagdpanther into existence. They had to retool substantial manufacturing effort and pull tank crew into the factory to produce the jagdpanther.

quote:

The first Jagdpanther meant for service was delivered in December 1943, with production increasing to 10 tanks per month in April 1944. Delays in production were mainly due to improvements being implemented. Strengthened gearboxes and intermediate gears were installed. Jagdpanther production was also slowed down due to bombing raids and lack of workmen. By the end of June 1944, only 46 of the tanks had left the factory floors, barely enough to equip one Schwerer Panzerjäger unit. This was far from the original 160 planned vehicles, which would have been enough to equip 3 units and have some left for testing and training.

The MIAG firm complained about the lack of workmen, and as such was sent 320 men from the Panzerjäger replacement unit. This managed to boost production to 20 tanks a month in September 1944. Neither the OKW, nor the Heeresamt were happy with the production numbers and, as a result, two other companies, MHN & MBA, were contracted to produce the Jagdpanther. This increased the total output to 67 tanks for December 1944.

When there's a war on and your vehicle turns out to be 4x harder to produce than promised, kill the project. Don't pull manpower and manufacturing capacity from everything else.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 16, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

But was the sword made of hanzo steel?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cessna posted:

We're talking about WWII Germans, right?

Nazis are dumb. QED

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just never press the red button.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Battlefield 5 campaign lets you play from the German perspective but "it's not a hero story", insists DICE

Very ambivalent feelings about this

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, that's why I used the url tag, not just the link, since the url still uses the old title. I assume what they mean is that the player isn't (a) waffen SS, and (b) isn't officially a member of the party. We'll see whether they are 'clean wehrmacht' though.

I'm glad you aren't playing Wittmann anyway.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sort of on the 'let's wait and see' side of this, I'm not super optimistic but OTOH they aren't doing the obvious bad things like having you play as SS, or setting you up vs the asiatic hordes etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Hopefully the German campaign ends with a cutscene of you being shot in the head in the ruins of Berlin, dying completely pointlessly and alone.

Then a Soviet soldier teabags you.

If you kill more than 3 people in the entire campaign, when you try to surrender at the end of the final level you are summarily executed instead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

They are probably leaving the Russians and the Japanese for DLC.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Still holding out hope you're the zookeeper at the Berlin Zoo, with DLC of you, at Lutz Heck's orders, desperately trying to breed a tarpan.

I still think it's interesting that this is getting a bunch of controversy, while there wasn't really much controversy about, like, Panzer General, or War in the West/War in the East, Hearts of Iron, or Decisive Campaigns, all of which let you (and in the case of Panzer General, made you), play as the Germans in WWII. Is there a difference between strategy games and first person shooters in this regard? I mean, you'd almost think it would be the other way around, because not every German soldier committed atrocities or war crimes, whereas, if you're commanding the entire German army attacking Poland, you're responsible for all of it.

We've had that discussion earlier in the thread, I think. I think these things are quite different kettles of fish in terms of mainstream accessibility and also the visceral nature of your engagement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Remember that time when Das Boot and Cross of Iron came out in theaters and we were all nazis for liking the films?

There's Das Boot, but there's also My Honor Was Loyalty.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The strawmen here aren't helping.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think I'd appreciate it if the caution some of us in this thread have expressed at this thing is not just casually dismissed as 'handwringing'.

Edit:

quote:

Which of these have either glorified war crimes or perpetuated the clean wehrmacht myth? 
You are listing multiplayer games. Bit different when we are considering narrative games. Consider for example Silent Storm which had the allies and the axis as completely symmetrical and in the end fighting some shadowy conspiracy which is really orchestrating the war. Consider Company of Heroes opposing fronts which added the SS inspired 'panzer elite', complete with playable Wittmann style tiger aces and badass Knights cross bearer supersoldiers.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 18, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean the way I would do it would be to have the tiger commander guy recount all those stories about killing hundreds of shermans, and have the main character slowly realise he's making all that poo poo up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Phanatic posted:

This is special pleading. Panzer General is a single-player game with the narrative that you are playing as an officer in command of the Nazi state’s army units, trying to achieve victory in battle against the Allies. Hell, Axis and Allies does that. Is it okay because the narrative is superficial?

Yes. Also because those games are pretty niche, appeal to an older crowd, and from a genre point of view are less capable of being persuasive and engaging.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Or Columbus Day.

Okay, that's at least consistent. But it's weird to see this sentiment ("You can tell a story about Nazis if you want, but only if it's really superficial or abstract and isn't too popular or engaging") in a thread about history. Wouldn't that stance trouble you if it was applied to any other form of art? What makes Das Boot okay, then? Or Signs of Life? If these things are good art, then isn't it better if more people see them? Or does Das Boot suddenly become bad art if more people start watching it?

My personal opinion is not that they 'aren't allowed to tell this story', but that there are pretty high stakes here.

I'm sure I said something similar with the call of duty wwii game. Which was bad.

Edit: I think the das boot example is more complicated. If Disney was to make a PG13 remake of Das Boot aimed at making it more mass market I *would* actually be quite worried. The production of mainstream mass media implies certain compromises. See e.g. marvel selling Heil Hydra t-shirts.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 18, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

We are kinda getting off topic here, so it's kinda hypocritical of me to add more... But I would say that Xi Jinping's government may or may not be more Marxist, but it does move the Chinese Communist party closer to the party of Mao (in terms of centralised power, cult of personality, obsession with rooting out corruption), and away from a state of being dominated by the sorts of people Mao persecuted. As someone whose family was impacted by the history there, this is certainly a concern.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Squalid posted:

Since you apparently understand a bit more about Chinese politics than me, can you explain what Xi would mean by exporting revolution? I'd really like to know the significance of this policy in Chinese policy and ideology, but don't know where to start.

From a foreign policy viewpoint China is obviously and arguably justifiably very interested in stepping into the gaping vacuum the US is leaving all over the world. The point about exporting revolution relates to China's core foreign policy ideology, which is that the internal politics of states should be considered sacred and its actions should be regarded as politically neutral with no strings attached. This is distinct to the US, which is portrayed as inherently trying to spread free market democracy, and Russia which has its own ambitions. To what extent this is just cynical rhetoric (it is extremely convenient in justifying actions in Tibet and Xinjiang as well as making deals with various dodgy regimes around the world) and what extent the Chinese actually believe this is left as an exercise to the reader.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 18, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Trying to get back on topic: another thing internet observers have difficulty with is exactly how terrifying the current Chinese naval expansion spree is to everyone else in the region, especially at this precise time when the United States is sending, uh, mixed messages about its defense obligations re: its Asian allies. They can already assemble credible carrier strike groups around Liaoning and whatever they name their new 001A, including surface combatants qualitatively superior to anything Japan/Taiwan/Korea can field. Type 055 is in most respects (the PLAN is generally considered to lag in ABM and ASW operations) a match for the hypothetical Flight III Burkes, which puts it at least two generations ahead of Burke I derived designs like the Japanese Atago-class. And even running flat-out, the US' Asian allies simply can't come close to the scale of shipbuilding that the PLAN has already locked itself in for. The PLAN already has no peer navies aside from the USN, at least within the bounds of a hypothetical conflict in the SCS/Strait of Taiwan.

Japan/Taiwan/South Korea are not the only countries in the region. Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand/Philippines typically have pretty positive opinions of China.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't China buy up like half of Iraq's oil after the war? After being one of the countries scolding the US for entering into the war.

Where does that sort of thing factor into a non-interventionist policy? Usually that kind of investment is what drags countries into interventions.

According to the rhetoric, that's just a simple transactional arrangement. If a rebel group overthrew the Iraqi government, then China would just offer the same deal to the new leadership.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You need to define exactly what you mean by 'when communism is put into action'.

Also North Korea, Venezuela and the USSR are not the same. Venezuela doesn't even claim to be communist! Hell, the USSR isn't even the same if you are comparing Lenin to Stalin to Khrushchev to Gorbachev.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I sort of wonder if the angle they will play is to have the German main character have killed one or more of the sympathetic Allied characters you've played in the rest of the game. That is something their anthology format allows.