Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is the old thread getting goldmined, or will all those posts be lost forever, like tears in the archives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koesj posted:

Get a mod in here and goldmine the old thread for crissake!

It only had a 4 rating. Guess it got a lot of ones from keldoclock fans.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

It's more like "the Sherman is literally the only tank I can identify by sight because I'm a WW2 equipment dunce", actually.

edit: are there, like, ww2 tank flashcards or something. i'm kind of embarrassed i can't even tell a t-34 from a....... well, that's the only tank i can name.

The T-34 is easy to distinguish because the turret is pretty far forward.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So I'm playing HOI4 as France, and this game is making me think that the Maginot line was actually cool and good. Am I wrong?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

spectralent posted:

It did exactly what it was meant to do, which was to force the Germans to not attack directly across the border. As for missing the Ardennes, the forest was considered more or less impassable, since attempts to go through it had been made in WW1 and ended in disaster. And, to be fair, it was pretty impassable; they created what was at the time (maybe still is?) the world's largest traffic jam trying to get everything through the few good routes that were available, and it took something like two weeks for everyone to get through.

We're the French just totally in the dark while this traffic jam was developing? What stopped them from loving the Germans up before they got themselves through the forest and sorted out on the other side?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

also the same company makes pike and shotte

Pyke and schottte

Pyekë nde sczhœdtze

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh, what is happening to the on going stuff still being worked on like the Taiping/Polish Soviet War and a few other mega post projects goons in the last thread were doing? they going to keep going and repost the older stuff when they are done?

Yeah, I just need to check whether the thread getting goldmined broke the links to older posts. Other then that I should be able to pick it up and get moving again. Gonna start talking about the Shanghai Foreign Arms Corp and the start of western intervention against the Taiping.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2. Not relying on the Gembloux Gap defenses. The original battle plan was to retreat basically to the French-Belgian frontier; this was politically untenable as well but possibly decisive.

Thanks for the in depth summary. The above is what I did in HOI, managed to hold the line until the yanks showed up.

Would it be fair to say that the invasion of France, and Russia for that matter, depended heavily on the defenders making a poo poo ton of mistakes, large and small? I just get the impression that gay black Hitler is really facing an uphill fight just to reproduce Germany's historical performance, let alone do that and also add that one weird trick wehraboos think would win the war.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

hello military history thread, what's a good & comprehensive book about the thirty years war I can read at work? the breadth of options is intimidating.

Wilson is the go to but its really big and thick and poorly suited for travel. If you don't mind it being older scholarship, Wedgwood is wonderfully written and a good place to start.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The strong post what they wish and the weak read what they must.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

To the extent there's a grain of truth to it, it's that modern armies are okay with giving up a little bit of lethality in exchange for all the other advantages (ammo capacity) of intermediate calibre rifles. But no one ever sat down with a slide rule and tried to intentionally design the bullet to wound only.

In any case, where you got shot and time to medical attention are usually going to be bigger factors than what exactly you were shot with.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

And wasn't it established that being able to maintain a high volume of fire was critically important? That volume is what keeps heads down and allows units to maneuver supposedly.

That was the logic, and the US was working during the cold war on a bunch of weird flechette gun projects that took that idea to the extreme.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You know what grinds my gears? When people make internet arguments about weapon effectiveness based on 9th grade, ke=1/2mv^2 physics.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think it coincided with the rise of interchangeable parts and assembly line manufacturing, which helped.

There was a weird burst of pike enthusiasm during the early revolution and thousands were requisitioned, but sanity prevailed before they were actually used.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I recently finished Battle Cry of Freedom and I had a question about Andersonville prison in Georgia. The book spends time explaining how bad the conditions were and how this was a known issue in the north, but the prison wasn't liberated until May 1865 when the war was over.

I was wondering why the Union didn't make it a priority to liberate the camp earlier. Was Sherman stretched too thin to divert south?

Sherman did send a detachment under Stoneman in that direction with orders which included freeing the prison, but they were unfortunately defeated and captured.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seconding this. It was great beach reading.

I read it on a business trip when I had nothing else to do, good time. Made me think the Hohenzollerns would have been pretty good at CK2, always keeping an eye out for claims and inheritances while giving no fucks about contiguous borders.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

anti-mice autonomous unit

Meow?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

So I just got spun up on the latest iteration of Abrams upgrades and their solution to the next generation of missiles is just to slap more ablative armor on the thing and no poo poo I'm not kidding you it's new curb weight is no less than 93 tons. God bless America

You got to be making GBS threads me

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Was there ever a battle where people on horseback beat the poo poo out of people in tanks?

I'm sure it happened at some point in Afghanistan, but they probably dismounted before firing their RPGs.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Take the trucks you use to cart the extra armor around and park them on either side of the tank for extra layers of protection.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol if you didn't lose your virginity on top of a big pile of org charts with correct NATO symbology.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Smuggling was a thing, yes.

the cotton must flow

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Today I learned that tanks can jump:

I hope that was accompanied by slow mo and a slide whistle sound effect.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm curious where the modern IFV fits into this discussion of the evolution of armor. APCs are easy enough to understand, but then you started running into the Soviet BMPs and American Bradleys and other vehicles that carry infantry but also potent weapons in their own right. I'm curious whether they grew out of the APC role conceptually, or bear more of a relationship to the armored cars and light tanks of WW2, or something else entirely.

Wasn't the original idea for the BMP about giving the infantry a way to traverse the irradiated hellscape of WW3?

As for the extra firepower, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to post pentagon_wars.flv

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Another France WWII question- how significant was the surrender militarily? Would it have taken a major effort from the Germans to destroy the remainder of the French army if France had kept fighting, or were they already in casual mop up mode by that point?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

xthetenth posted:

I'd say it's the existence of clearly defined Schwerpunkt(en). If you know where your focal point to break through is, it's Blitzkrieg. If you're awaiting results to figure out where the weak spot is that you can exploit, it's deep battle.

Alternately deep battle is blitzkrieg that knows when to stop to regroup and resupply.

In the last thread someone linked a wargaming discussion about how Soviet doctrine worked. The tldr was that the by the book, apparent inflexibility of Soviet low level operations (that western observers frequently criticize) served a valuable purpose. It enabled their high command to rapidly change the axis of attack in response to the changing battlefield and have a much shorter decision cycle than the enemy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

1945 also made a ridiculously good showing with August Storm.

That's like the '92 dream team playing Angola, though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

It could have been worse.

Lol at this wedding cake

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I don't know how people can put up with that. I once ran into a Boo who insisted that the Abrams could not frontally penetrate a Tiger II and I wanted to put my head through the wall.

Lol. I'm pretty sure our time traveling Abrams could penetrate the loving Yamato.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

I know this is super-specific and from years ago but did I ever successfully get you to watch The Last Valley?

That movie has an epic, brutal fight between Michael Caine and a German accent.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of castles, I just found out about this pretty cool experimental archaeology project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guédelon_Castle

Just a bunch of people building a dang ol castle entirely with medieval techniques, supposed to finish sometime next decade.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

O/T, but I want to share the joy that is history with my 5 year olds. Before I force them to read Shattered Sword, can anyone recommend any good books or TV documentaries for youngish kids? One of my daughters loves the Percy Jackson books, so something about ancient Greece would be perfect.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, WW2 flamethrower tanks did not explode when hit like in the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan, but it certainly goes without saying that getting hit in the tank and having the fuel spurting out was not a pleasant experience for the flamethrower man or anyone near him.

The biggest problem they faced was that the weapon was so effective, at least in the Pacific, that these guys attracted almost as much fire as the tanks and rocket jeeps did.

Yeah, if I'm a Japanese soldier in a spider hole, my reaction to riflemen is to keep my head down, my reaction to the flamethrower is kill this guy ASAP before he gets into horrible flaming asphyxiating death range.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Recognizing where your own interests and your employer's interests diverge is very much a Good At War thing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

"Overengineered" is a weasel term for "engineered badly". Either you made your tank to specifications or you didn't. For example, a 45 ton entry in a 30 ton tank project means you didn't, no matter how many exciting new features that no one asked for it has.

I think when people talk over engineering, we're talking things that made for a better tank in a featureless void, but weren't worth the production or maintenance trade offs. Like tight tolerances to make a high quality widget that will last 3 years when your tank will be dead within six months.

Even a flat out better and cheaper in every way design can be "over engineering" if it wasn't worth disrupting the production line to implement.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Obviously the AA crewmen in the open gun tubs survived the main battery firing, but it couldn't have been pleasant. Though otoh, firing the big guns and fighting off aircraft were, at least in theory, one or the other, so maybe they fully buttoned up when firing the big guns.

The Japanese tried to use the main guns for AA, it didn't work very well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Shiki_(anti-aircraft_shell)

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 20, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

They eagerly wasted a lot of German war materiel that could have been used better by the professional soldiers along with their lives. But still, gently caress them.

Glad I read the whole thing to get the additional context that Schenk (the narrator) was whatever the Belgian equivalent of malgre-nous was, and Dirlewanger was a convicted child molester.

I don't know why it still surprises me when guys turn out to be awful pieces of poo poo beyond even being in the SS.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Polyakov, these mine posts are FANTASTIC! Thank you.

Yes! Those posts have exactly the right amount of detail.

It's stuff like that which makes me wish I could have the Milhist thread printed out as a coffee-table book.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

spectralent posted:

Ironically the winter war clusterfuck was one of the reasons that the Germans assumed the Soviets would just immediately collapse.

They sort of did just immediately collapse.

Then surprise surprise they had a whole other army to replace the collapsed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol at that bit about the sheep.