Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

aphid_licker posted:

Clockwork solve all problem :saddowns:

I wonder what Germany would look like today if Hitler had somehow avoided the war, had roughly Franco's tenure, and spent all that time trying to implement all the kooky ideas in his and his guys' roster. Just imagine what he and Speer would've done to Berlin for starters.

thats seriously gay black hitler poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Endman posted:

Dragoons are best, but nobody gives a poo poo :saddowns:

Lol no go chase some guerillas loser

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hard counter posted:

i already do this when playing board-games (monopoly)

Raimondo was next on my list so it's good to know I'm on the right track.

Don't forget Command of the Air by Giulio Douhet to get in the heads of interbellum air forces.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Would it actually have been worse than what we got, though.

Because what we got feels a lot like worst case scenario to me.

you can't possibly be serious

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Disinterested posted:

What? No, I'm saying that a long and drawn out WW1 is directly connected to the violent excesses that follow it in the next several decades, so that, regardless of the politics, it's conceivable that a swift and decisive outcome to WW1 by any party would have been better.

I picked up Salazar's read, too. Anyway, it's a big leap from "we got the worst possible outcome" to what you said here (which I don't necessarily prima facie disagree with).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cythereal posted:

However, anyone familiar with WW2 naval history knows that the big-gun warship ultimately proved something of a while elephant. Battleships were important tools of geopolitics, but as far as military use went they were somewhat inconclusive in WW1 and outright of marginal use in WW2. Mahan failed to anticipate the development and maturation of the submarine and aircraft carrier during the 20th century, ships and capabilities that dramatically altered the calculus of geopolitics in general and colonialism in general.

Bit of a tough sell on the carrier comment considering he wrote The Influence of Seapower Upon History in 1890, a decade before heavier than air flight was achieved. It's a bit of a tough sell on the submarine, too as they were highly experimental. Peral and Gymnote represented the state of the art at the time, and both were non-viable as war fighting weapons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ithle01 posted:

I'm going to have to voice some disagreement that modern soldiers are in more immediate danger at all times than soldiers in older wars because gunpowder weapons and traps have been around for a very long time. Gustav Adolphus had cannon balls shot through his tent at least once. Just about any siege can take the better part of a year and involve snipers, night raids, mining (probably just as dangerous as being a tunnel rat in Vietnam), cannon fire, booby traps, and arson. All of which can kill you quickly and unexpectedly. As for the paranoia of being surrounded by the enemy we know that soldiers had to travel in groups and live in their camps for their own safety when they're not being quartered.

When Napoleon's soldiers were marching back through Russia it wasn't uncommon for men to walk off of the road to shoot themselves. During the Imjin War a Japanese priest wrote the poem 'Whoever sees this / Out of all his day /Today has become the rest of his life' when describing the slaughter that Japanese soldiers were inflicting upon the Koreans. I think we have some evidence that war is taking a toll on those who fight it and those who must endure it.

Soldiers in the Napoleonic wars generally got at least a few months of the winter off (except the Russia campaign). Of course you were cold and miserable, but you weren't likely to get shot. Even in campaign season, you were mostly marching around and countermarching with very little danger to yourself 95% of days. The Guerilla was really the only exception to that rule.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ithle01 posted:

I was specifically mentioning the suicides of soldiers during the Russian campaign, but you did remind me that I forgot about the Penisular War and that's another example of soldiers existing in a state of paranoia to stay alive.

I get this and I'm not disagreeing, but at the same time isn't this indicative of soldiers snapping under pressure? Wouldn't they have an injunction against suicide similar to our own given the relative strength of Catholicism in French culture or has the Revolution eroded this to the point where suicide is more acceptable? I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you heard about soldiers undergoing something like this today and killing themselves would you consider it a rational act?

The Russian campaign was uniquely horrible for everyone involved. It's not representative of the warfare of the period for the average soldier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fo3 posted:

I don't understand this at all.
Was this written by an economist? If so it makes sense...
If a farmer could improve yields and profits they would. Only thing stopping them is what the market will pay and getting loans from banks to buy capital*
Every farmer wants to increase yields. Reasons why they wouldn't is restriction, not protection. IE the government setting a low price so not worth spending $xx on capital for $x gain. Government blocking exports, so can't chase higher markets in other countries because can't export.
If there's just international protection as you say, there's nothing to stop farmer a improving their yields with equipment, technique and land year after year.

Typical of an economist to say import restrictions is the sole cause of course as they love an open market (on their terms) so much. Ignoring the fact if farmers were inefficient due to lack of capital or restrictions, then cheaper imports may have well wiped out all local industry before any war and the nation be even less capable of local food production capability during any war if farms were bought up by conglomerates from a belligerent country that destroyed everything before leaving.

*E: or individual stupidity on the part of everyone that's owned a farm I guess.

Scale is important in mechanized farming, and agricultural protectionism generally makes small farms more profitable or at least viable. You are viewing yield increases as a linear function of capital input; in reality, it's a stepwise function and the capital investments are incredibly large.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

You're going off wildly in a lot of directions with this post and you need some facts to give it backbone. The Italians did get some of France. Some was annexed, some was occupied. They were also going to get Nice and Corsica eventually. Also, the Italians had been in Libya before Mussolini, before WWI even, it was pretty important to them.

The Italians got a strip of France approximately 30mi x 10 mi including the town of Menton. That's a lovely deal. The promise of Nice and Corsica dated from after Case Anton in 1942, so it has no bearing on Italy's war aims in 1940.

Cyrano's point was that the Italians were inherently interested in the area due to their history in the area, not that involvement in North Africa was somehow new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

What were the factors that kept the armed forces of Italy from succeeding? They seem to have been pretty shoddy throughout the War. Can anyone info dump me on Italy? Don't hear too much about them and a lot of films/books/games would have you think it was just a purely German affair. Also curious on how the Hungarians and Romanians contributed to the Axis war effort, including acting as speed bumps for T-34s. :v:

No investment in technical development, especially radar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bewbies posted:

Re. the Italian navy in the Mediterranean: I've always felt like they should have absolutely owned that poo poo had they put their minds to it and that would have put a lot of other big operations in question. Also it was a great theater for big gun battleship slugfests and they kind of robbed us of that which I'm a little bit bitter about.

Campioni and Iachino were cowards, Cavagnari was an idiot, and Italian (and German) land based air should have made up for deficiencies in carriers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VanSandman posted:

I have a question about naval warfare. Submarines are well and truly hosed once the enemy starts using active sonar, right? Why don't people use active sonar at all times then?

Active sonar is basically putting a big sign on your boat saying "THERE IS A BOAT HERE"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nuclear submarines generate their own oxygen, and I assume diesel/electric boats can as well. Food supplies is the limiting factor. Nuclear submarines run submerged almost 100% of the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

To be technical about it, I don't think it actually says that, what it says is "THERE IS A BOAT THIS WAY". The 'target' of an active sonar pulse can't know the emission time of the pulse, and so wouldn't be able to compute the range directly. Though with a modern boat and long-rear end towed sonar arrays, you might be able to range it if the geometry is right and your computers are setup for it.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what happened to all the Russian POWs that were captured during the advances of '41? Presumably nearly all of them were shipped to rear areas and worked to death? Are there any instances say during the winter counter offensives of advancing Russians suddenly liberating a bunch of captured dudes?

Well, it says "THERE IS A BOAT ON BEARING X" which is fairly precise even if you don't know the distance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

See also Hans-Joachim Marseille

Was Marseille not cool though?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He had a black friend that he made sure wasn't mistreated and, by all accounts I've heard, generally didn't give a poo poo about proper dress code or being a nazi. He was just a really loving good pilot.

Yeah that's what I thought.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That doesn't sound significantly different from any of the other WWII air forces, though. Most of that is par for the course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

Sure, but I find it pretty hard to believe the Luftwaffe's not got a load of blood on it's hands all the same.

Also, thinking about it, there's also the Fallschirmjaeger groups, who were involved in war crimes. There's the massacre in Crete, and the killing of civilians in Holland, off the top of my head. If the Luftwaffe have any less blood on their hands than the other wings of Nazi Germany, it's going to be because there were less of them to go around rather than any higher moral character/"clean"ness.

EDIT: Googling "Luftwaffe war crimes" is bringing up a ton of stuff, basically as I expected, but I don't really have the stomach to go through it all right now, apologies :smith:

Sure, Fallschirmjaeger were certainly not clean - but the fact that they count as Luftwaffe is due to organization, not role. When people talk about a "clean" Luftwaffe, they aren't referring to the Airlanding divisions or the Luftwaffe armored division.

If you consider the people flying the planes, and you leave out ground forces, the Luftwaffe is not really demonstrably dirtier than any other major power air force. You could make an argument that a lot of really bad human research was to support the Luftwaffe, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but I don't think you can really play the "other guys were doing it too" card. The Luftwaffe were also guilty of targeting civilians to an unnecessary extent, and by that extent aren't really "Clean", so much as a lot of airforces were "dirty".

War is fundamentally a business of doing bad poo poo to other people. Nothing you are saying refutes the idea that a "Clean Luftwaffe" existed - the fundamental point of the "clean X" theory is that relative to other forces the force in question is not appreciably worse. "The other guys were doing it too" is the whole point. "Clean" in the context of "Clean Wehrmacht" or "Clean Luftwaffe" is a relative term based on the concept that they did not actively commit atrocities in the way that the SS did. Sure, they did things that were awful, and violated the rules of war, but no more so than their opponents. The "Clean Wehrmacht" is pretty much conclusively bullshit; the "Clean Luftwaffe" argument seems to have some degree of merit. I'm not saying that the Luftwaffe was some Paragon of Teutonic Knightly Virtue (sup Hermann), just that it was an armed service that behaved much like any other - unlike the SS, significant parts of the Wehrmacht, the IJA, the NKVD, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

I'm really used to the whole neonazi "Sure the holocaust was bad but what about the nukes? checkmate atheists" kind of degenerate arguments so I do find the "the allies were also bad" defence kind of uniquely annoying, so if I misread you then I apologise.

Yeah, no, this is not a "The allies were also bad" defense, it's a "wow the Luftwaffe was surprisingly less lovely than the other branches of the Nazi armed forces"

Plus, Adolf Galland was cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

I guess this is kind of an emphasis problem because I would far prefer we also condemned any allies who strafed civilians. Or maybe I'm misreading again and the point is that we condemn both but call them both clean, in which case that sounds weird and not like how I usually hear the term but I'll go with it.

Both committed your run-of-the-mill bad warcrimes. I agree "clean" is a bad term that doesn't quite get to the hear of the issue, but it's what's in the discourse so we run with it, I guess.

I think it's good to condemn any war crimes, but really at some level all war is just legalized criminal behavior in state interests so like - what is a war crime really? makes u think :catdrugs:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

The comparison to the allied airforces just falls flat on its face. Three years before Dresden, the Germans had already launched a campaign of targeting culturally significant British cities, specifically for their cultural value. The fact that the Germans carpet bombed fewer cities out of existence does not absolve them, because that was not caused by superior ethics but by weaker resources. Had the Germans possessed something like the 8th Air Force, they would have quite happily leveled British cities. A serial killer caught after two victims is not morally less bad than one caught after ten.

This is getting in to a really dumb argument (edit: that I think you're mistakenly trying to make) but the Area Bombing Directive dated from early 1942.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is HOI 4 any good? It looks bad.

I still only play DH and basically only Kaiserreich.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

EU4 is the best paradox game and has all the pikes and Napoleonic warfare you'll need

Operational warfare too abstract...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lenoon posted:

Is OIF a widely accepted term or can we lobby for Iraqi Wars: Revenge of the Bush?

I've always used GW2

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

presumably since your dudes are trying to avoid a battle in the best of circumstances anyway, trying a pitched battle at night would be pretty pointless.

Plus you would have a bunch of captains having nervous breakdowns trying to form perfect squares and read their root tables in the dark

I don't think Hegel's guys are trying to avoid battle, I'm pretty sure that's a dumb Machiavelli falsehood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm pretty sure Hegel mentioned earlier that there wasn't such a thing as a decisive battle and keeping your army as intact as possible in the face of constant attrition was the most important thing, so there wasn't the same sense of bringing the enemy to battle and defeating them in the field like there would be in other periods. I believe alternative methods of defeating the enemy like starving out their armies by control of territory and sieges were preferred.

I'll wait for her to provide a more expert analysis but if you just look at the 30YW there are a poo poo load of field actions so the thought that armies actively avoided battle isn't directly borne out by evidence.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm pretty sure Hegel mentioned earlier that there wasn't such a thing as a decisive battle and keeping your army as intact as possible in the face of constant attrition was the most important thing, so there wasn't the same sense of bringing the enemy to battle and defeating them in the field like there would be in other periods. I believe alternative methods of defeating the enemy like starving out their armies by control of territory and sieges were preferred.

Everyone has pretty much preferred to destroy the enemy by not fighting a pitched battle throughout all eras of human history.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Well for one thing it takes a lifetime to train a longbowman. Meanwhile crossbows have serious rof issues.

Is a crossbow slower to load and fire than a matchlock?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The A-H photo is definitely of a private since a noncom would have stars on his collar patches, and an officer would have lace and other decorations. He also appears to have a plain isignia disc on his hat but I really cannot make out what the regiment would be. Based on pictures online, he looks like he is K.u.K rather than either of the Landwehr.

Where is the man's family from?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

the early modern...
http://theorbo.com/

it's good

I've got a friend who's a professional early modern musician who plays things like this. It's pretty neat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The Spanish usually reduced their armor to padded cloth surcoats due to the sweltering heat. They kept the morion helmets. Even so those coats were plenty to stop stone-tipped arrows and macuahuitls, at least for a few hits. Think like the trauma plates in modern ballistic vests. *

* I heard this somewhere, possibly in a documentary, conversation with a homeless man, or a dream.

I was just on St. Croix where Columbus lost a guy due to arrows from the locals. Of course, no word on if the Spaniard was wearing armor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can teach a solider to be proficient with a musket and follow close order drill in the Napoleonic era in something like 9-12 weeks. If you're just taking it down to load and fire and care for weapon, it's probably two weeks.

Siivola posted:

I'm hardly arguing that one can become a successful archer overnight, but I feel you're seriously underselling the practice required to actually shoot a gun worth a poo poo. Aiming with a gun is just as much about motions and stance (and breathing and trigger pull and), and good loving luck trying to reload a musket in a proper battlefield hurry. At least you can't quadruple-load a bow by accident. :v: Hell, I'd even contest the idea that a gun doesn't require any fitness, considering how huge early muskets in particular were.

Breathing and trigger pull are irrelevant and the standard of fitness is such that literally any 16 year old non-disabled male of the time period should be able to use the weapon. You're recruiting from peasants and city-dwellers who work hard for a living, not shut in internet nerds.

edit: loading a musket in a hurry is difficult, hence the emphasis on drill. If you do it a couple thousand times, you won't have much issue. Practicing loading a flintlock 2,000 times is less than a hundred hours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The shield wall was a very viable tactic at various points in time, and your read is basically backwards for much of human history - the light cavalry / skirmishers screen for your more decisive arm, whether that's a shield wall or a pike block or line infantry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Surely a mortar team would be more effective?

I'm pretty sure you do that when you don't have other poo poo available.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Plus, the M1 only had an effective range of 3,000m - I sort of assume a rifled tank gun in an indirect fire role can reach out a bit further.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

75mm (or 77, or 3-inch) artillery has historically been quite effective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Production never fully switched to the 76mm because it fires a much smaller HE shell and most of what a tank does is shoot HE at buildings/people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eela6 posted:

I have a bunch of questions about cannon in the late 18th / early, 19th century, if anyone minds taking a crack at it. How is it made? Is it something that can be made relatively ad-hoc, like musketry? (can muskets be made ad-oc? I think so but I'm not sure. Or are people mostly using rifles now?) Or do you need sophisticated facilities? Is most cannon in the colonial wars made in the Americas, or overseas and shipped over? How much training do you need to use it? What kind of ammunition does it use?

Thank you again everyone for all your answers to my and others questions.

No artillery would have been produced domestically in the Colonies until after independence, and likely after 1795. Artillery is really difficult to make and require a poo poo ton of infrastructure. Gunners are highly trained specialists, literate and with advanced formal school education, because artillery is math. There are three types of guns: cannon, mortars, and howitzers. The gun or cannon is a direct-fire weapon using primarily solid cast shot (with a short-range backup of canister, essentially a giant shotgun cartridge). The mortar is an indirect-fire weapon using fused hollow explosive shells firing a shell at a very steep angle. The howitzer is an unnatural hybrid between the two, which generally fires shell in direct fire. It has a shorter barrel and larger bore than a gun, and is less accurate in direct fire than a gun. It is useful because it fires shell.

I don't know much about the Americas outside of the Colonies, though. Smoothbore flintlocks are still de rigeur until about 1845 or so. The first musket was produced at the Springfield Armory in 1795.