Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

The Soviet terroristic army used terrible tactics like lining up in front of a ditch to get shot, gathering inside buildings that are set on fire, or working as slaves for the German war machine until they dropped dead of starvation or exhaustion.

Tanya was no angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Achaemenid invasion of the steppes come to mind.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Well, Adam the go-to guy, but he was kind of a chump. Cain killed like, a quarter of the Human population on his own, so I think he gets the prize.

Maybe, but Adam contributed significantly to the development of women, thus causing more human misery than anyone else in history. Am I right fellas? :rimshot:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

sullat posted:

A civil war that kills of half* your tax base certainly messes up your finances.

*estimate based on Tang census figures

The census was the basis of tax collecting anyways, so even if a lot of those people were displaced or otherwise, that's a pretty substantial decline in the state's income.

I've heard that the later Song dynasty was supposedly the most advanced and complicated economy in the world before the modern era, though I don't know how you measure that or what the historic consensus is.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Millions of Medieval peasants died getting lost at night. Countless others were driven mad, the disappearance of the sun thought to herald the end times.

This happened every night.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, so you've readded a shirt, a hat and pants. But there's no reason they couldn't be wearing some sort of sexy assless chaps.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

But how would they know its Tuesday?

The pig wrapped the baby in a tortilla first.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I'm a regular history nerd experimenting with becoming a military history nerd. What's a good, visual book on the Napoleonic wars? I listened to a great Audible bio about the man himself a while back but its hard for me to understand the actual battles themselves in that format. I need like, maps and poo poo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks. Sorry for being vague about a pretty broad topic. Like I said, I listened to the Roberts book on Napoleon and found it a pretty good introduction but I had absolutely no idea what was really going on during the battle parts. Its pretty easy to zone out when a narrator starts describing a bunch of geographic markers and military units that I have no understanding of where they are in relation to each other or so on. I think I'll add those books to the list to read after I finish like my already pretty long list of things I'm currently reading. Thanks.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Argas posted:

Wasn't Deadliest Warrior's super awesome simulation calculations just literally comparing weapon specs and some bullshit numbers they came up with and then feeding them into a computer to see which came out with more kills?

Sounds like someone is upset that science has proven Washington a better general than Napoleon. :smug:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Of course I have always rooted for the Empire. Who else to keep the church Catholic and Vienna out of the hands of the vile Turk?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

The movies are obviously propaganda pieces, the pro alliance slant is blatant.

The filmmaker's bias was really obvious when it portrayed regular Stormtroopers killing Sand People and innocent moisture farmers in cold blood. I mean, sure, the Sith or Grand Moffs I could see, but the average Stormtroopers didn't care at all about Palpatine or politics and simply fought to protect his empire from what he thought was radical terrorists.

Plus an At-At being taken down by a Snowspeeder?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've never seen it but I've heard it's straight down the line Orientalist.

Bond 'dies' and is reincarnated as a Japanese person, just like every goons' dream.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goofy 60s orientalism aside, I actually quite like YOLT. Its got ninjas, hijacked space ships, a secret volcano base, Bond and Bloefeld finally meeting faced to face, and Tiger Tanaka. It's basically a classic Bond formula film done well, like Goldfinger without the slow middle. And an even better theme song.

Debate me nerds.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Looking for some movie identification help. I recently got into History Buffs, a channel that analyzes historical movies. In his Last Samurai video, he shows clips from a movie that look pretty interesting that start around this part. Does anyone know what movie those clips of the Japanese soldiers attacking the castle is from? It looks interesting.

Kagemusha. It lists where the clips are from at the end. Its a great Kurosawa film that gets overshadowed by Ran a lot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Koramei posted:

Which accounts? Maybe it depended on the region, but both Portugal and the Netherlands got defeated by Ming Chinese navies in the 16th and 17th centuries (although I'm unsure of the numbers involved). Joseon Korean ships had cannon of their own too, and I assume the same is true for the Ming.

I've been reading and enjoying The Gunpowder Age over the past few days. It's basically a comparative history of East and West military technology development in the early modern era. It's basic thesis so far seems to be that experimentation and innovation with gunpowder weaponry was more widespread and longer lasting in East Asia than is usually given credit. However, due to the nature of Chinese warfare, where wall breeches were rare, development tended towards anti-personnel weaponry and gunpowder artillery just never became a thing. So while on one hand you have Ming armies having a third of their forces carrying guns and performing volley fires centuries before anything comparable was developed in Europe, they never really got the big guns until they started running into Europeans. The Ming fleet that took on the Portuguese was pretty outclassed, even though their numerical superiority was still enough to send their opposites packing. Most likely they only had bombs launched by catapult. When the Portuguese returned a year later, the Ming had either acquired some cannons from Japanese wokou or reversed engineered some ones they captured and did much better. I'll try to scan these pages tomorrow if you'd like.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

In terms of military technology I think China plateaued due to its own success. For without the almost constant infighting and need for expansion that caused weapon technology to develop so rapidly in Europe, China was quite content to focus on keeping up their dominance over east Asia.

Yea, this is basically part of the book's argument. During the Song-Jin wars, the rise of the Ming, the Japanese invasion of Korea and the civil wars and Manchu invasions of the 17th century you saw near constant innovation. The Japanese took the arquebus, reversed engineered it, innovated upon it and started manufacturing them en masse within a decade. They independently create volley fire about 20 years before the Dutch do and when they attack Korea (bringing in the Ming), the armies involved are pretty comparable to anything you might see in Europe. By the mid 18th century, however, the Qing have become the dominant state in Eastern Asia. The 'barbarians' are conquered and the frontier is the safest its been in probably forever, rebellions are few, Korea is a vassal state and Japan is in its period of isolation. Meanwhile Europe is just constantly wracked by warfare. And of course by the 19th century the Industrial Revolution has started to fundamentally transform western society.

It's a pretty stark contrast reading this book while simultaneously reading Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom, which is about the Taiping Rebellion. At one point in that war the rebels find an old cache of Ming era muskets, by that point a couple of centuries old, and its a complete godsend. The decline happened in very fast time span and it was a very hard way down.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Heh, you want help against the Japanese? Ok Peanut, but first ya gotta send wave after wave of your only halfway competent men to die in the Burmese jungle. " :britain: :smug:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

zoux posted:

1966: The Year Without loving

Jesus, none of you 17th century history nerds complain about how gruesome your time period was ever again.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

Capitalism is actually just slavery with extra steps.

Whoa, someone got laid in college.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 5, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hate to break it to you, but most of the large slaveowners did just fine after abolition. They just switched to sharecropping and convict leasing. Then they could work people to death without having it financially affect them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sounds like a small price to pay to protect our sphere of influence the Free World from those Commie Bastards. The survivors will honor our sacrifice.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Britain had 383,700 soldiers killed fighting in World War 2. The US had 407,300 killed from about three times the total population. Sure you don't want to reword that a little bit?

He said Americans did their fighting for them, not that they did their dying. :911:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There was also a complete collapse of the economy and runaway inflation in postwar Natty China.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wdarkk posted:

IIRC it was something like "yes that's true, but the assaults worked eventually anyway." Which ignores the fact that the Russians managed to bleed the Japanese so much at the end of the goddamn trans-siberian railroad. IIRC if they'd double-tracked it there's a chance they could have won. That's an interesting alt-history, "what if the Russians saved Port Arthur".

Have there been any good effortposts about the Russo Japanese War? If not, do you guys have any book recs?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saboteur 2 but in occupied Shanghai. Also questgivers mainly just want you to blow up the other side of the civil war instead of the Japanese.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does a horse need a tank, anyways?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

After reading about the conditions of the hundreds of the wounded dying horses staggering about on the aftermath Waterloo battlefield, I'd say even horses have earned a tank.

Dead horses are the glue that holds an army together - Napoleon, probably

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

In desperation in the retreat from Moscow, soldiers of Napoleon's army fed on the warm blood of the slowly dying freezing horses during the retreat. Like cut them open during the march and collecting blood straight from the wound into some sort of surface desperate.

Poor bloody animals.

One of the details of the Andrew Roberts bio of Napoleon that stuck with me is the account of dehydrated soldiers dunking their head into puddles of horse piss to find relief.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gonna die historic on the Reading Rail.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

so i've understood, but at one point they had more guns than the whole europe put together

During the Sengoku period they started manufacturing reversed engineered muskets based on Portugese designs. By the Imjin War they had the largest gunpowder army on the planet and adapted volley fire techniques from Chinese crossbow tactics.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't know, I just quickly browsed r/history and it didn't seem as bad as all that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Napoleon wasn't anti-monarchist (the turbulent and irrational French Republic probably turned him against republicanism) but he embraced enlightenment ideals in most other ways. He abolished anti-semitic laws and enforced religious tolerance, for instance, and believed in meritocracy and equality before the law. During the 100 days he even seemed to evolving towards constitutional monarchism. He did send an army to Haiti to return to the old status quo, which meant a return to brutal slavery, and that is a pretty big black mark, but compared to basically every other ruler in Europe he was ahead of his time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wasn't that the plan for the Yamato, in the end? It got sunk at sea before it could make it to any beach but I remember reading that somewhere.

Anyways I don't think a beach battleship would be anywhere near as effective as actual land based fortifications actually built with that purpose in mind but I'm no expert.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I went through a weird WW3/post apoc phase as a kid, and thus have seen/read a lot of the genre.

Threads is the best realistic portrayal of nuclear war on film. It will gently caress your day up. The Day After , Testament are from the same era and are worth watching too.

In terms of books, A Canticle for Leibowitz is one of the best, but its more post-post apocalypse.

E: When the Wind Blows gets bonus points for looking like (and essentially being a sequel to) a children's book.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It depends on whether nuclear winter is an actual thing or not. Either way I'm pretty sure even countries that weren't directly hit would still be hosed, just by the complete collapse of the global economy and the contraction of food supplies. The environment would actually be better off, ironically.

To add another to the list, the short story There Will Come Soft Rains by Bradbury is pretty haunting. A Boy and His Dog by Ellison is a pretty wild read/watch, but its much closer to the Mad Max/Fallout side of things.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Another thing was to be conquered by the Mongols, but then assimilate the Mongols - worked out decently well for China.

It kind of worked out, but the Yuan dynasty is still the closest thing Imperial China has to a dark ages in terms of sources iirc. Could've been worst though - according to the Secret History, Genghis Khan originally wanted Northern China to be depopulated and turned into pastureland for his horses but was talked out of it by his generals.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That and the Japanese were still negotiating in Washington DC up to the day of the attack.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GotLag posted:

Most important function at 4:40

Eh, if its Tsingtao is better to leave it be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I thought How Few Remain was pretty original for Turtledove novel, but then I didn't know what the Franco-Prussian War was when I was a teenager.