Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaeFr1OMJvY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grand Prize Winner posted:

my grandma gave somewhere around 20 grand over the course of her life (no joke), thanks Monsignor Barry. We could have used that money for more good booze at her wake!

No joke, the monsignor had connections and regularly collected support money for the cause from old Irish folks in our diocese.

Maybe she funded a kneecapping!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Arquinsiel posted:

Don't be silly.

Drill bits are cheap.

Well maybe she funded all the kneecappings.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pellisworth posted:

Catherine the Great was pretty cool too

Nay.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm not sure if this counts as milhist, but I just this evening encountered a Patton Truther. By which I mean someone who believes that the US killed Patton to stop him from apparently singlehandedly kicking off WWIII.

:psyduck:

That jeep should have been given a medal.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GAL posted:

it was, but these guys will steal anything they can from anything they can, down to breaking windows to get the lead in their frames to make bullets

To shoot out of the now open window?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Crazycryodude posted:

Victoria II is probably my favorite Paradox game but then again it seems like there's only about 27 other people on the planet who actually understand and enjoy it so I guess I'm just weird.
Taking a break from battering Africa as a monarchist confederacy right now, because evil. Victoria 2 best game.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ice Fist posted:

I know. I was taking a "I'VE BEEN WRONG ALL THESE YEARS" sarcastic tone and being a bad poster extraordinaire makes it hard.

It's weird to punch yourself and roll with it at the same time

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

(the FDA has not evaluated this statement)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It doesn't matter if your black hitler is gay if he's a lifelong virgin

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm going to spread good government by stealing your art and installing my dipshit family as your leaders. I'm a good emperor.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GAL posted:

rent's great

Housemates loving suck.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Normally I follow the rule of "the sillier the uniform, the bigger the badass" but I'm willing to bet these guys suck extremely

Those are not men, they are English

A quarter of the globe subjugated without men :smug:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cythereal posted:

Germany and the USA. Armored cav. And air cav.

Noted officially protestant country, USA

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GAL posted:

the best cav the us produced wasn't even christian, and that's a fact

The Zoroastrian dragoons kicked rear end in 1812.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Don't care how useful armoured trains are, Echelonnaya is the best war song.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bewbies posted:

Not as much as you would think based on the fact they're actually fighting a war against one another, but there is still plenty of it there.... You just have to look for it carefully under the flowery language.

Everybody's favorite example of it is probably the correspondence of Hood and Sherman around Atlanta. You have these two guys who are both exceptional writers and are both pretty brilliant, basically having The mid 19th century equivalent of a YouTube comments sections discussion with one another About the nature of war and race relations and a bunch of other things

I feel like a19th century discussion of race relations looks pretty much the same as a YouTube comment section anyway.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

MANime in the sheets posted:

It's like Star Wars milhist chat but even dumber!

Dsyp

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why would a gun with an unknown past creep you out? My MG-34 has more than likely been used in anger during WW2 against someone, but its not something you dwell on. It could just as likely be a firearm used for training purposes. :shrug:

Theoretically, would a Remington 700, used to kill a deer/wild game, creep you out the same as the Mosin?

I don't mean to be so inquisitive, I just find it odd to have something against a specific firearm because of something it may or may not have ever done.

Would something used to kill animals bother you as much as a literal murder weapon??

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

david_a posted:

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any since we're sort of on the subject - I have a chessboard that was made in Leningrad in the early 80s (it has an official looking sticker on the bottom that I can partially translate with phone apps). How did the Soviet economy work for mundane consumer goods like this in the 80s? Was there a commissar somewhere proclaiming "thou shalt make 2000 chessboards, comrades" to the factory or was it a bit more open?

Soviet mechanical watches are insanely cool and you can get functioning, decent examples from the 1950s for less than $100. That's my Soviet consumer goods story.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bewbies posted:

Do you have a link to things like this? It sounds kind of badass especially if they were pilot or submariner watches.

Way back but this is my poo poo.

http://www.ussrtime.com is a very good site featuring the collection of a dude with over a thousand examples, mostly civil but lots of military too. If you want to see the kind of watch Yuri Gagarin took to space then search for sturmanskie. Good collection that's for sale for a cool half mill.

E: if you actually want to get a Soviet watch there are literally hundreds on ebay. Half the fun is identifying non-original watches made of spare parts in a Ukrainian basement!

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 22, 2016

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bewbies posted:

Do you have any useful tips for doing this? There appears to be approximately one jillion such items on ebay and I am in way over my head here :/

Best bet is to lurk the watchuseek Russian watch subforum for a while. There are many obsessive spergs there and some good guides. Just lurk for a while and you'll pick it up quickly. Alternatively do what I did and learn the hard way!

Merry holidays milhist goons

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Crazycryodude posted:

Careful, you'll cut yourself on that edge.

It's not great

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tias posted:

:stare: You did not just insinuate that all Danes come from Jylland, did you?

Not all Americans come from the north but people still call them yanks.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
We coventrated Dresden :shrug:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

Well, if you're American it's very unlikely you'd end up having to fight in World War 1 anyway and if you did it wouldn't be for long and it mostly wouldn't be trench warfare. WW1 for the win if you want to live, really.

*Ignores European experience of war, flails retardedly at Germans*

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tias posted:

I should do an effort post on british antifascism, if peeps are interested.
Y

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Syria is Russia's playground for high tech weaponry.

Afghanistan is ours.

It took us years, billions of dollars and our best minds but we did it..... a really loving massive bomb. Let's get pizza

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

Point of order, 10 shillings was 120 pence, or half of a pound. This wasn't one of those crazy bastardised New Shillings I recall from my childhood :sun:

Decimalisation was better for us than universal suffrage.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Comrade Koba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwP3Dm52Ls&t=758s

Anyone who doesn't get aroused by the sound of this gun on full auto probably needs therapy. :fap:

This but the exact opposite.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was extremely dumb of her on many, many levels.

Actually, it's brave and good to destroy implements of militarism.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The militant imperialist state of Denmark.

And congrats, you snuck onto a military base and hit a fighter jet with a hammer a few times. All you've done is cost your fellow taxpayers some additional expense and inconvenienced some aircraft maintenance guys. Well done.

A tool of state violence is a tool of state violence, friend.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hogge Wild posted:

start from your dick

I call it my SLAMRAAM.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not the existence of a few fighter jets that make wars happen, it's the people who throw around the authority to order attacks.

So plan your hammer strikes accordingly.

There's a good bit in the internationale about generals.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 5, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

mllaneza posted:

Should have picked on some actual slaveowners for full marks.

Can't annihilate the slave empire without breaking a few eggs.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Phanatic posted:

While we're doing M60 chat here's one started up for the first time in a while. The previous owner was the dude who got blown up by a breech explosion in his M36. See if you can spot what's missing.

https://youtu.be/P9gylhS5klc

dam that m60 is gently caress up

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
#thetriggering

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like, stop and think for a second. What are you? French, American, British? Where did you learn you are that and not Alsatian or Nebraskan* or whatever the gently caress you call someone from Wessex?

*Texas is a great example of this because those crazy fucks actually do the same public school indoctrination on a state level because they have this bizarro historical memory of being their own country for a decade.

Dead for 1100 years is what we mostly call them

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Maimgara posted:

I believe these are translations of http://yuripasholok.livejournal.com
He is historian / archive rat employed by Wargaming, which makes the arcade tanks game "World of Tanks". There is a demand for more or less accurately represented tanks in the game, so he provides the raw data which is mangled into pixel tanks.

Hmmm how many hp does a tiger have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Solaris 2.0 posted:

lol what is this Tankie poo poo. You do realize that in a civil war, both sides are often committing atrocious war crimes right?

Lol you got it. Forums poster my dad is a well known Stalinist, not a guy talking about his own country's history and the dumb poo poo people say about it.