Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Exactly this. It's great as an inspiration to learn about the subject the problem is idiots who take a game as s 1:1 representation of reality.

See also: historical drama

I want somebody to do a movie where a naive time traveler goes back into the past and discovers that people of the past were just slightly thinner, smaller, dirtier and hairier versions of people of the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think it's more than just the idiots who think tank combat in War thunder is representative of reality though- any sane person knows they're full of poo poo if they cite that. More insidious is stuff like the linear tech tree in Civ or a Paradox game getting a generation of people accustomed to the idea of historical progress as a straight thing from a to b and that without the wheel or copper working you can't have researched opera and so must be inferior as a culture. I guess that's not something that started with Civ but it's definitely been reinforced by it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Way back when I was in high school, there was a guy on a forum I went to who was convinced that instead of reforming after the Boshin War and opening up, Japan should have closed the borders again and then just "teched up" for a few decades then conquer the rest of the world. I guess he meant Emperor Meiji should have set the research slider to max and stacked research bonuses or something.

EDIT: In hindsight I'm definitely blaming way too much Civ on that line of thinking.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 20, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

His exploitation force was 8,000 cavalry and 30,000 infantry.

OK, going to ask another question here. Sorry about the 88 thing; that was a stupid joke and I feel sort of embarrassed for the honest discussion/answers that followed it.

What's the deal with all this cavalry still seeing tactical use? Why was it even on the TOE at the time? Was it because the infrastructure was already extant? Did cavalry consume fewer strategic resources than mechanized units? Was it just kind of a holdover from the Russian Civil War/Soviet-Polish War/the entirety of history up to that point? How did the cavalry of 1940 fight? I'm kind of guessing that they served mostly as dragoons with maybe one or two charges pushed through in the course of the war, but I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows what they've talking about.

I believe this is Ensign_Expendable's territory.

e: the gently caress?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 20, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Cavalry isn't as resource intensive as vehicles/tanks, is the short short answer, I believe.

Also, games for representation is great and my, for years now, go-to for WW2 squad-level stuff is ASL. Not only are all the scenarios unique and spread across the globe, but they feature plenty of different units, each of which have their own entries with a small historical summary, as well as a briefing and an aftermath text entry.

I think it could use another review or two to make the info even more accurate than it is, but the game does a great job at making such a small scale of war fun.

"Hey, why is the Panther D's movement points in red? Oh, that's cause it represents the thing catching on fire due to leaking/bad fuel lines. :supaburn: "

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

SeanBeansShako posted:

I want somebody to do a movie where a naive time traveler goes back into the past and discovers that people of the past were just slightly thinner, smaller, dirtier and hairier versions of people of the present.
You mean something like Poul Anderson's The Man Who Came Early ? It's a short story bout a 20th century GI stationed in Iceland that gets carried to the 10th century. He obviously has all those grand ideas about how to kick-start technological development, but it turns out theoretical knowledge is not always enough for real-world applications. It's a really good (but short) read.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FAUXTON posted:

I want more of this please holy gently caress

Ok.

Edit: I also have the B-17 and A-10 books, if you want to see those.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 20, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Fort:

I can't find the Hog book. Also I thought more of the bombers had formation-leader paint schemes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cavalry isn't as resource intensive as vehicles/tanks, is the short short answer, I believe.

Horses are incredibly resource intensive. They need 15000 calories per day (in hay :v:) to not die, and the the same amount to do hard labor like pulling about guns and broken down tanks. You can't as easily transport fodder for horses as you can fuel, and you can't box up your horses in storage if you find you don't need them for a month or to.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Boiled Water posted:

and you can't box up your horses in storage if you find you don't need them for a month or to.

You can't box but you can can.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
By 1940, whenever you see "Cavalry" replace in your mind with "Dragoons" or "Semi-Motorized Dragoons."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

By 1940, whenever you see "Cavalry" replace in your mind with "Dragoons" or "Semi-Motorized Dragoons."

Though Patton and Rommel were writing their books at the time, the Blitzkrieg was pretty much based on cavalry tactics, and Patton designed the last sword adopted by the US Army before he got into tanks. And by 1970 it's helicopter dragoons, and in 1990 it's proper heavy cav again.There's a reason the Brits call their tankers "Lancers."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Delivery McGee posted:

Though Patton and Rommel were writing their books at the time, the Blitzkrieg was pretty much based on cavalry tactics, and Patton designed the last sword adopted by the US Army before he got into tanks. And by 1970 it's helicopter dragoons, and in 1990 it's proper heavy cav again.There's a reason the Brits call their tankers "Lancers."
i will never be happy until they bring cuirassiers back

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
One positive thing about horses is that they are far more tolerant of bad roads than a truck is. Any trail will suffice and even deep snow is manageable. Logistically a cavalry unit is much more demanding than a motorized unit, you need at least one horse per cavalryman and then more horses to haul fodder for them all. Eg. Finnish cavalry company (eskadroona) TO&E included five fodder wagons and three vets (one trained veterinarian and two farriers) and each platoon included three guys whose job was just to look after the horses when the platoon dismounted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Horses won't throw their drat XO through a window either.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nenonen posted:

One positive thing about horses is that they are far more tolerant of bad roads than a truck is. Any trail will suffice and even deep snow is manageable. Logistically a cavalry unit is much more demanding than a motorized unit, you need at least one horse per cavalryman and then more horses to haul fodder for them all. Eg. Finnish cavalry company (eskadroona) TO&E included five fodder wagons and three vets (one trained veterinarian and two farriers) and each platoon included three guys whose job was just to look after the horses when the platoon dismounted.

until they break feet/muscles and you have to shoot them

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Boiled Water posted:

BBQ? Hell yes. :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boiled Water posted:

such is the life of a cavalryman

...oh you meant the horses!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

such is the life of a cavalryman

...oh you meant the horses!
the horses are harder to obtain and far more valuable

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

i will never be happy until they bring cuirassiers back

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The british may put a man on a horse, but they will never have proper cavalry.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

neither did the swedes

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Koramei posted:

This stuff infests these kinds of WW2 discussions pretty much everywhere on the internet, doesn't it? Whereas I literally only ever read about that in this thread... I guess I should get some perspective.

Yeah basically. I spend the entire rest of my time listening to people go "Um sweaty there were no elite soviet units??? :) also the king tiger was impenetrable and shermans need a special rule to show they blow up more!"

EDIT:

Don Gato posted:

Way back when I was in high school, there was a guy on a forum I went to who was convinced that instead of reforming after the Boshin War and opening up, Japan should have closed the borders again and then just "teched up" for a few decades then conquer the rest of the world. I guess he meant Emperor Meiji should have set the research slider to max and stacked research bonuses or something.

EDIT: In hindsight I'm definitely blaming way too much Civ on that line of thinking.

The really funny thing is if he played a proper wargame, he would know that Hearts of Iron shows that limiting your exports damages your research bonus.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 20, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How much is 15k calories worth of hay in kgs?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Normally I follow the rule of "the sillier the uniform, the bigger the badass" but I'm willing to bet these guys suck extremely

Kemper Boyd posted:

Those are not men, they are English

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hot take: no protestant great power had good cav

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

OK, going to ask another question here. Sorry about the 88 thing; that was a stupid joke and I feel sort of embarrassed for the honest discussion/answers that followed it.

What's the deal with all this cavalry still seeing tactical use? Why was it even on the TOE at the time? Was it because the infrastructure was already extant? Did cavalry consume fewer strategic resources than mechanized units? Was it just kind of a holdover from the Russian Civil War/Soviet-Polish War/the entirety of history up to that point? How did the cavalry of 1940 fight? I'm kind of guessing that they served mostly as dragoons with maybe one or two charges pushed through in the course of the war, but I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows what they've talking about.

Do you have the stuff to make a unit of it? If yes than you make a unit of it, this is late 1941 in the USSR. Barring one charge by Italian cavalry I can think of, dragoon stuff is going to be the vast majority of it. My best guess is they were trying to keep up with the tank brigade, I don't have details of what they did.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HEY GAL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFuInmnYNQ

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koramei posted:

I have to admit, occasionally I get annoyed by the total derision that this thread generally has for the Werhmracht (among others), it feels kind of one sided. But then reading poo poo like that guy's comments, or Raenir Salazar's argument with that dude- now I understand. This stuff infests these kinds of WW2 discussions pretty much everywhere on the internet, doesn't it? Whereas I literally only ever read about that in this thread... I guess I should get some perspective.

It's worth noting that Wehraboos don't really worship the Wehrmacht per se. They worship the ideal of the superhuman force of arms the Wehrmacht is supposed to represent, and for the antagonist they pose the ideal of the hordes of the Great Enemy. This ideal force cannot, by definition, be flawed, just like the ideal enemy cannot, by definition, be virtuous in any way, and can only prevail through numbers and "cheating" (definition of "cheating" depends on the culture the Wehraboo is from). It has surprisingly little to do with the actual German army at the time, or their enemies, or, well, reality. Under slightly different circumstances, the same train of thought that glorifies virtuous German arms would deride Germans as a degenerate race that's wasn't worthy of the role they were given, and say that the torch was rightly seized from them by their vanquishers (hello US and USSR/Russia) just like "Germany" "seized" "the glory" of the "ancient world" from the "degenerate" descendants of Greeks/Romans/whoever. Hell, good old Adolph rejected the German people in his final moments. Fascist take, and take, and take, even from those they call their own, until there is nothing left to take and they are cast aside into the mud.

I don't think this thread ever claimed that the army that fought most of the rest of the world for half a decade was completely incompent. But fascist organization of just about anything was a clusterfuck that would have been hilarious if it weren't for the bodycount it caused, and the sheer contrast between the ideal you see the Wehraboos rant about and the reality they refuse to acknowledge is such an easy target to mock, doubly so when you look at the ideological insanity that drove it all.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Normally I follow the rule of "the sillier the uniform, the bigger the badass" but I'm willing to bet these guys suck extremely

Those are not men, they are English

A quarter of the globe subjugated without men :smug:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So how did the Brits handle the logistics of putting horse cavalry on to the continent during the Napoleonic wars? If horses are that resource intensive shipping them had to be the biggest pain in the rear end.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Nope, these positions are pretty much given to serving professional soldiers still and the elite in the modern British Army are equally hard well trained bastards. Only different from the average soldier is they got the swankier post. Some still are the elite and well connected but these guys are trained for modern war and know how to tank it up with the rest.

I expect with the recent conflicts they have men who have seen action.

KildarX posted:

So how did the Brits handle the logistics of putting horse cavalry on to the continent during the Napoleonic wars? If horses are that resource intensive shipping them had to be the biggest pain in the rear end.

They bought what they could and hired/seized the rest of the horses from the continent, you'll always lose horses taking them overseas. The quality wasn't great but the men riding sometimes had the same fragility.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

Germany and the USA. Armored cav. And air cav.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I found an interesting article detailing the history of a certain armoured train during the end of the 1st World War to the Japanese occupation of China!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cythereal posted:

Germany and the USA. Armored cav. And air cav.

Noted officially protestant country, USA

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the best cav the us produced wasn't even christian, and that's a fact

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Noted officially protestant country, USA

Let me tell you about the Mexican-American war period. When your enemy is able to make one of their best units out of deserters from you to them because you're such a needless dick to Catholics, you're pretty Protestant.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GAL posted:

the best cav the us produced wasn't even christian, and that's a fact

The Zoroastrian dragoons kicked rear end in 1812.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comancheria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sioux_Nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

the JJ posted:

I remember getting really shirty with some people in here who were convinced that Civilization was a great way to learn about history.

To be fair, in my last Civ IV game I conquered the world with Assyria. Which was an accurate retelling of world history. Now excuse me, I have to bring some animals to our local Ashur-temple for some emergency sacrifice. Apparently there's some trouble in Ninive and our priests think more sacrifice will help keep the gods on our side.