Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Empress Theonora posted:

It's more like "the Sherman is literally the only tank I can identify by sight because I'm a WW2 equipment dunce", actually.

edit: are there, like, ww2 tank flashcards or something. i'm kind of embarrassed i can't even tell a t-34 from a....... well, that's the only tank i can name.

Let me tell you about the Tiger tank.

The unequaled best tank ever made. Ever. It would murder modern tanks.

Post your favorite "the tiger is the best" lines you've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Speaking of all this armor talk: can someone do an effort post or otherwise point out some good places to read up on modern tank armor types/variations?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Requested effort post

Hey thanks for the effort post. It is appreciated.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

My Latin teacher always got a kick out of the word defenestrate so now I always get a kick out of seeing it used.

Famous defenestrations for 100 Alex?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

spectralent posted:

On the historical wargames thread Colonial Air Force posted this: http://www.20thgmb.com/rkaa-tactics.html It's a miniatures summary of soviet breakthrough tactics 1944-45.

This is was a really cool explanation of something I had been wondering about. In every documentary I've ever watched about the Eastern front this was always basically summed up as '... and the Red Army began their attack with an artillery bombardment involving 5 trillion guns" without further elaboration and this pretty much explained how that works.

Also they called the bombardment "the treatment" which is awesome. Need more names for softening a position with artillery fire. "Giving them the business"?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

And finally the name for the barrage was "artpodgotovka" (artillery preparations), not whatever this author made up.

This is so disappointing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Again, that's a very liberal translation. The term was "obkatka", literally "rolling over"

drat. I was so hoping there was some twirly mustached, vodka drinking officer somewhere going 'Give them... the Treatment!' and then all of their artillery opening fire.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

MrYenko posted:

BLOOOODDD GRROOOOOOVVEEEESSSS

poo poo you guys beat me to the blood grooves thing. It's like, the only thing I know is totally false about swords.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Boy we did some weird stuff to battleships before everyone finally settled on superfiring turrets.

Keep doing ship design posts xthetenth. I love reading those things.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, American Frigates during the early 19th century were amazing.

I was reading the USS Constitution wikipedia article the other day and it mentions that the British ordered that only ships of the line were allowed to engage the American frigates 1v1.

quote:

Constitution's victory over Java, the third British warship in as many months to be captured by the United States, prompted the British Admiralty to order its frigates not to engage the heavier American frigates one-on-one; only British ships of the line or squadrons were permitted to come close enough to these ships to attack.

As always I take this with a grain of salt. Is this true milhist goons?

Also

quote:

Constitution had suffered little damage in the battle, though it was later discovered that she had twelve 32-pound British cannonballs embedded in her hull, none of which had penetrated through.

Old ironsides indeed

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

JcDent posted:

Ave, Fortuna! Alea iaculator te salutant!

I don't know whether or not I'm fortunate to at least know what this probably says even if it is somehow wrong

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

"Hail Fortune! Everyone salutes your jizzing prowess?"

Oh.

6 years of Latin down the drain :negative:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Relax, he's joking. Iaceo is to throw (hence ejaculate, in a metaphorical sense, but it doesn't mean that in Latin).

Alea iacta est and all that.

I know. I was taking a "I'VE BEEN WRONG ALL THESE YEARS" sarcastic tone and being a bad poster extraordinaire makes it hard.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

:yikes:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I have absolutely no idea what it says because my latin is terrible, that's just what it looks like.

I refuse to believe that iaculator doesn't mean what it sounds like it means.

What is it supposed to translate as?

Ugh, at this point I might as well provide the thread some entertainment and attempt a translation

Hail, Fortune! Die throwers be praised

I think that's the jist of it, but I imagine I've made some mistakes with tense or person.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

This is the best thing

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Straight from the wikipedia page for the Montana battleship design:

quote:

The final type of ammunition developed for the 16-inch guns, well after the Montanas had been cancelled, were W23 "Katie" shells. These were born from the nuclear deterrence that had begun to shape the US armed forces at the start of the Cold War. To compete with the Air Force and the Army, which had developed nuclear bombs and nuclear shells for use on the battlefield, the Navy began a top-secret program to develop Mk. 23 nuclear naval shells with an estimated yield of 15 to 20 kilotons. The shells entered development around 1953, and were reportedly ready by 1956; however, only the Iowa-class battleships could have fired them

Can someone elaborate on the history of nuclear ordinance delivery outside of 'drop it in a bomb from a plane' and missiles (of any range)? I know there were nuclear capable artillery pieces. But are there any other odd ducks like trying to launch 16 inch nuclear naval shells?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Honestly, when the opening of Tomorrow Never Dies has James Bond stopping the detonation of a nuclear torpedo at an arms deal I legit thought it was one of those famous James Bond world ending macguffins.

Nope. It's real. That's kinda lol to me for some reason. Although I'm not exactly shocked that human beings managed to develop a nuclear weapon out of [insert object here]

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

A bit late, but those Soviet industry posts were incredible reads. Thanks for those posts.

I mean, goddamn.

"Thanks for creating our entire industrial base comrades!" :commissar:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

How does this differ from the proposed Montana class?

Main armament for one. The model has 15x 18inch guns. The Montana would have had 12x 16 inch guns.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Darth Vader is pretty much peak this. The way he just murders underling after underling in Empire never fails to make me laugh.

Apology accepted Captain Needa. *signals two random guards to drag the body away* :black101:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

December 7th, 1931: The real date that lives in infamy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Earlier in this thread there was a sobering post /series of posts that included a transcript of a German soldier's personal experience with war crimes, the killing of women, children, etc, getting blind drunk in order to deal with it better, etc. I think in Poland? I want to track it down, if someone can find the post or the source of said post.

It was unremittingly horrifying, if that helps ring any bells.

It was the Warsaw Uprising I think. And yeah it was horrifying.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I mean, I think the evacuation is cool because there's a bunch of dudes surrounded in a french town on the coast who get rescued thanks in part to some dudes in their fishing boats and yachts etc.

It's still clearly a military disaster by any measure, but that doesn't mean they didn't pull off something pretty cool.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

I'll deal with my bleeding the way god intended, namely by running out of blood

"Hey dude, you're missing an arm and a leg, I can save you with this needle!"

"This is fine"

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Fangz posted:

Well look at gun cam footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwahsQqrXM

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Holy poo poo, one of those videos is 'reach your hand out and touch the ground' levels of low altitude.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Thank you for the war diary posting. It is amazing to read.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Snus might cause a moderate increase in risk of pancreatic cancer but doesn't seem to increase lung or oral cancer rates at all. If you took every smoker on the planet and converted them to snus it'd be a public health miracle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...Pubmed_RVDocSum
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090728201734.htm

And I don't think you have to spit, so it's nowhere near as repulsive as dip.

Snus is still horrid tasting so I find when I do it I still spit.

Edit: in case you were wondering I'm a habitual user so if I'm happy to be THE source on all the disgusting smokeless tobacco info you want.

Edit 2: Yes I want to quit real loving bad, but it is hard.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

*pointlessly telling you to quit like you haven't heard it millions of times*

I tell myself daily. It's cool.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks again for posting that Jobbo. That was fun to read.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

Is the M4 "good"? I know that the M16 had a really bad rep from the Vietnam era that kind of hung around even after the rifle got better, but I don't know anything about the m4.

I thought all of the Vietnam era problems with the platform were because it was billed as 'self-cleaning' and therefore no cleaning kits were issued and nobody ever cleaned their rifles. Is there more to it than that?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's because the code name for "Tanks" was "Watertank" which ended up being called "Tanks"; while in German they're simply called "Armoured Fighting Vehicles" or "Armour"; so it isn't hard to imagine their code name being "Water/feeding barrel".

Panzerkampfwagen just rooooollllllllls off the tongue.

German is funny. Especially when you understand like less than 1% of it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You can either have panzerkampwagen or sonderkraftsfahrzeug. Be thankful you got the former.

I just like the name because if you take away the implied translation you're left with "Armored Battle Wagon" and that tickles my funny bone in a 'I'm imagining Poland was conquered by a bunch of guys driving their heavily armored Conestoga wagons' kind of way.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Touche

Now just add a 75mm gun and some iron plates and we're in my neighborhood.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1052742

Even better and crazier than you could imagine.

:vince:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

Who likes nuclear bombs?!?!?

I believe the phrase I would use is "dread fascination". I'm simultaneously both loving terrified and loving amazed whenever I watch a video.

The underground test underneath the mountain where first there are rockslides and then very slowly the ground starts smoking is pretty :stare:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, I just think they're neat as gently caress from a engineering and scientific standpoint. Obviously it's horrible if you use them on people, but then I think guns are neat as hell too.

They are neat as gently caress, but also scary in a way that guns aren't. I mean, I tried (and failed [because I am bad at school]) to go into nuclear engineering so it holds a large amount of fascination for me, but it still scares the poo poo out of me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There is very little that people didn't cram a nuclear option into in the cold war.

It's kind of funny, but in one of the openings to a Bond movie they're all worried about a Nuclear Torpedo exploding, and at the time I watched that I was convinced that was just a thing that Hollywood made up. But nope, it's a real thing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The lesson here is don't get onto a Soviet Sub with a 2 a 1 or a 9 in the designation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And then fly off into space inadvertently tracking the loving sun instead of the enemy jet.

Early missiles were fun.

Little did we know that we would create a race of machines that would worship the sun bringing the world's religions full circle.