Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

pappenheim already has a nickname, it was "scarface" (balafré)

scarface would be a pretty good name for a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

I have extracted whatever posts of mine from the old thread I think had value and put them in a Google Doc for easy access. I've even edited some of them.

As for continuing the series: I want to. But first, I started to write my MA thesis. This took up a lot of my free time (and also meant I was around the university a lot less often). A month or so ago I have finished it (available, in English, here, if you are curious ) and successfully defended it, which means I am no longer a student and thus cannot check out books from the University library, and there simply are no other good libraries anywhere near (aside from the National Library, which does not allow checkouts either). This means that the only way for me to continue working with a similar level of detail to what I did before would be to work directly within the Library, which is almost an hour's drive away, and I am gainfully employed now, which makes this quite impracticable.

But I want to finish what I started and I will certainly aim to do so, once I figure out a solution.

I can't believe you put finshing grad school and getting a job ahead of internet posting

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On the subject of the Bayeux Tapestry , the Overlord Embroidery in England is pretty great

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think there's a real argument for a screwball comedy about rear echelon insanity, but i don't think that's Hollywood fare.

This is like 90% of Generation Kill

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Germans also experienced huge shortages of pork during the war

Because the pigs all joined the Wehrmacht :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nenonen posted:

From playing Pike and Shot, I can tell you that early tercios are immune to flanking and rear attacks but late tercios can be charged from the rear!

Also I was playing Breitenfeld the other night as Gusto Ado. drat Saxon treachers!

But they do get a combat penalty the more dudes they're engaged with at one time, so hitting them from multiple sides still sorta works

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

bewbies posted:

In semi related news the army and marines are trying really hard to figure out how to reduce signatures of units in the field and the biggest issue currently is cell phones that the joes haul around with them.

and take selfies of themselves invading the Ukraine

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It helps a LOT that Africa was the cleanest campaign from a public point of view. Yes, there was some lovely things with bedouins wanting to help the Nazis based on some mutual feelings re: Jews, but for the most part it was fought in a loving wasteland away from population centers over purely military objectives. It's the dashing chaps with the Desert Rats trying to outwit the Desert Fox and everyone's quite decent, did you hear about that time a dude was captured and the Germans radioed his unit so his mum would know he was OK?

See also Hans-Joachim Marseille

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Was Marseille not cool though?

-played jazz music in front of Hitler to piss him off
-constantly grounded because he spent his nights drinking and getting laid

so yeah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Plus when you think 'Nazi war crimes' it's not just shooting/bombing civilians it's deliberate genocide of millions of people

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is HOI 4 any good? It looks bad.

I still only play DH and basically only Kaiserreich.

HOI4 is at least as good as DH, it does need some AI fixes tho. Also Kaiserreich is in development for it and the mechanics of 4 should be a lot better fit

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, for tactical level stuff based on WW2 and without having to worry about massacring civilians (for the most part) or killing prisoners (sometimes) you should totally get Advanced Squad Leader.

Wasn't there an official scenario for the Warsaw Ghetto uprising cause uhhh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

EU4 is the best paradox game and has all the pikes and Napoleonic warfare you'll need

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

brother, i bump into doorways on my way across the room

the first step is admitting you have a problem

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey Disinterested that Operation Typhoon book looked interesting, it should be pretty approachable for a layman right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

there was a remarkable quantity of things inside other things/things that turn into other things in that exhibition
http://www.skd.museum/de/museen-institutionen/residenzschloss/ruestkammer/weltsicht-und-wissen-um-1600/

a sword/cane whose handle is a warhammer

the handle also contains a whistle

Are you sure this wasn't the Bloodborne museum

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

i have, in fact, no idea where you keep an ex-pope's internal organs

We do have a decent idea where Benedict's are, though :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hasn't Colombia more or less gotten FARC to sign a peace deal?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. Check out how long it took them, and what tactics they used to finally undercut support for them.

Not saying it wasn't a massive effort. Do you or anyone have any particular knowledge about the war? I picked up a little from playing Andean Abyss.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arbite posted:

Also, what would :HRE: look like?

:dice:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Probably a controversial question, but how hard did the Axis minors (Hungary, Romania, Finland etc) buy into Nazism?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What was going on with Hungary's peace deal? I'd forgotten about that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

JcDent posted:

Actually laughed in the street

I mentioned Dracula to an old Hungarian lady once and she went off on a twenty minute tirade about how vampires aren't actually Transylvanian and Bram Stoker just set the story there for convenience

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not much has changed

I can't find it right now but someone in GBS got 'Caro Package' scrawled on a Ukrainian artillery shell. War in the Internet age is weird and terrifying.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

bewbies posted:

Nuclear torpedo detonations weren't that big, right? Like, big compared to a regular torpedo, but a fraction of the size of a detonation in the atmosphere.

Well I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's not exactly H.M.S. Gay Viking, but I found the best U.S. Navy ship name of the Second World War.

My favorite is still the carrier USS Shangri-La

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There's only one thing that I fear when fighting for the Eagle
I won't get me no lager beer when I go to fight mit Siegel!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Agean90 posted:

lol @ you guys assuming trump know anything about them other than WW2 general and looks manly

the strategic vision of Patton, the geopolitical deft touch of MacArthur, the humility of Montgomery, the ethics of Zhukov, and the competence of Chaing Kai-Sek

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mass Effect has some really cool space combat fluff that gets totally ignored by the actual game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Or Indiana's Kay-rho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

BF1 is a really really really good battlefield game, and thankfully multiplayer is not a simulation but instead pulls every experimental gun around in 1918 and doles them out so you can have a fun game in the setting. It also does a pretty good job of creating situations analogous to reality. just yesterday me and my friends spent 5 minutes defending a capture point while hunkering in a trench, getting shelled and gassed, and fighting in close with shotguns and melee weapons as the attackers stormed the trench.

I would hazard to guess it will also spur far more actual interest in WW1 among young people as the single player is intended to at least somewhat depict reality

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/790476192444846080/pu/vid/314x180/dl6p-WfrVAjpwyU7.mp4

is the SP not poo poo cause I tried BF3 SP once and it was an awful mistake

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

4 wasn't bad but it was all downhill from there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Agean90 posted:

It's dumb as hell and flat compared to the bad company games that came before it (420 invade a neutral country for mercenary gold erry day)

This and also it started off in a subway car and got more linear from there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUYE1XNO5E

"How much RippedFuel have you ingested?"
"I'm on it like a motherfucker, Brad."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah, there's loads of this going on. Also the idea that Nuclear Technology in America is considered a "born secret", so that if you happened to independently discover how to build a thermonuclear weapon all on your lonesome, it's still considered classified, and the government will likely prosecute the hell out of you to make you keep it to yourself; see United States v. Progressive, Inc.. On the other hand that law has never been tested in the Supreme Court, so :iiam:

Also fun: when the Manhattan project was starting to finish, and it became pretty clear that at least the gun-type design would work, a number of physicists involved, most notably Niels Bohr, started trying very hard to get the American government to talk to the Soviets about this stuff, before the Trinity test, and certainly before the bombs were used, to try and work out some sort of framework as to how these weapons could be regulated in the post-war world. The opinion of most of such scientists was that a new world order was need, based around the principle of openness practiced in the scientific world, lest the world descend into some sort of standoff based around MAD principles and midnight clocks and such. The argument was that if the bombs were a surprise to the Soviets, this would inspire such paranoia in them that it would poison relationships between the two powers forever. Churchill was extremely opposed to this idea of course, and his arguments were enough to make FDR pretty dismissive of the whole thing. Truman's advisors, and Truman himself were also in the Churchillian camp on the issue, believing that the cost and know-how required to build such weapons would ensure that America would always have nuclear supremacy (queue the revelation that Uranium is actually pretty common and the Soviets had long since infiltrated the program and knew all the fundamentals already). Now, given the personality of Stalin (not to mention the Anglo-American leaders) it's pretty doubtful that any such effort could have succeeded, but it's interesting in a road-not-taken sort of way. And also that the relatively stable world order we now have is based on (extremely limited) openness surrounding nuclear arsenals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadline_(science_fiction_story)

During the Manhattan project there was a sci-fi short story published in America that described an atomic weapon and got the attention of military intelligence

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Technically mortars also recoil they're just braced on the ground :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be specific, its usually the argument that it was the "nasty Russian winter" that saved the Soviets and that this was somehow Hitler's fault. Did the Germans deliberately choose not to supply the forces invading the Soviet Union with winter uniforms? Was it actually the case that they couldn't?

I am away from my computer and can't post Nazis.txt where they not only refused to send winter clothing because it's defeatist but straight up murdered a factory of Jews who were making winter clothing for the troops

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Show him a copy of Korsun Pocket sometime

And to actually engages the Germans did come close to Moscow but that would end up with Stalingrad with subways and theres no guarantee that would even end the war

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well yeah the Hungarian s weren't good fighters, they were too infected by Jewish defeatism because Horthy didn't hand over the Jews to the SS :nazisay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It takes a lot of "What Ifs" to make Germany absolutely 100% guaranteed to win World War 2.

That is shifting goalposts a little but good points. There's also the perennial 'gay black Hitler' argument- a Hitler who was rational enough to keep winter supplies with his troops may have been a Hitler rational enough to not invade Russia in the first place.

David Stahel, 'Operation Typhoon: Hitler's March on Moscow, October 1941' posted:

While Bock's troops did their best to provide for themselves, there were almost two million men in Army Group Center on 2 October (and over a million more in the remainder of the Ostheer) and there was simply no way of adaquately equipping them all in time for winter. The army command had prioritized fuel and armamant shipments over bulky winter clothing. The idea was to end the war in the east in one final all-out effort, and no resource was to be spared in pursuit of that goal. Requests for winter clothing were not only refused but, according to Guderian, the subordinate armies 'were instructed not to make further unneccessary requests of that type.' The idea that precious transport capacity be reserved for winter clothing was seen within the high vommand almost as an admission of defeat and a resignation that a winter campain had become unavoidable. The result was a steadfast refusal to acknowledge the scale of the problem or to do anything substantive about it...
Not only did the German high command refuse to take steps which actively assisted their troops, they even took steps that worsened their plight. At Riga, thousands of Jewish laborers were employed, some directly under Army Group North's command, tailoring captured sheepskins into articles of clothing for the troops. They produced ear-protectors, fur caps, waistcoats and more. This, however, did not save them. At the end of November 1941 the entire workforce was shot 'in accordance with the Fuhrer's orders' when the Riga ghetto was liquidated.