Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoyed the Brothers in Arms games because they were as much about pointing and shouting as they were about actually shooting anybody. I liked SWAT 4 for the same reason. More FPS games need to be about pointing and shouting, in my opinion.

Also, tankchat caused me to remember that the KV-2 existed, which in my opinion looks like one of those tanks that probably ought to be fake (or at least a goofy prototype that never saw combat) but I guess nope, it was out there.

Have you ever tried being a tank commander in ArmA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, Wallenstein is clearly a Farseer...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Was there a year at the start when nobody was working against the emperor? Cos the graph makes it look like that.

Lol @ transylvania, the cat of 30yw

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Warlord Games have you covered from Biblical warfare (and earlier) to pikes to WWII and even far future. Near future, too, if you count Judge Dredd.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Despite my terrible track record, I'd love an another chance at getting dudes killed in a GH game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think the thread should also have a rule against WWII European bombing campaign, maybe something against air combat in Pacific, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Page 77 here. What is the one MilHist thing I should see while in Warsaw? Maybe two, but I probably won't have time for two.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Polish army museum! The inside is overwhelming (I don't think I'm capable of giving a poo poo about bolt-action rifles anymore) and confusingly laid, snd not much in the way of English text. A poo poo ton of gear dating abck to X century, more armor and uniforms and guns than you can shake a pike at. Would recommend.

Happy to have finally seen a Sherman and a Centurion.

Back to page 81 with me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

never go to d&d

notes down furiously

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Finally got to the end of the thread, yay!

Did I mention that I have a book on Mercenaries in Lithuanian-Polish (or Polish-Lithuanian) Commonwealth, which is basically a hardback PhD paper? I'll post stuff if I can glean anything from it.

I also have Soldaten, some Speer book, Ivan's war, some book of diaries of a German dude that's in recon for a anti-tank unit from Barbarossa onward (it's the most "war ain't fun" book I've yet to read) and maybe something else. I buy books when they're cheap.

As for the Polish Army Museum: I didn't take more pictures as an incentive for you goons to go outside and visit the beautiful Warsaw. And the museum, it's kinda fun. I guess the pre-19th century part is more fun since it has more great bits of weapons and armor, and less reading. WWI bit is way too long, tho. It's better than the Czech army museum that's basically WWI with some WWII. You'll stop caring about bolt-action rifles real fast.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

what if japan makes a good tank

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I could probably drive an S-tank! It's great, because I'm a lovely driver, while tanks are somewhat more forgiving when obstacles like people, small trees and curbs arise.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Go Lithuania! I have no f-in clue why we call Germany like we do.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

what if d&d was good

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Why not Tsushima?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, what about the height requirement for Centurion, M48/M60, the Chieftain, Leopards and whatever zooming deathtraps the French were building? Heck, skip the French and Germans, people care about them as much as they care about Sweden when it comes to discussing Cold War tonks. Then we can see if the stereotype has merit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cossacks III isn't a good game, milhist grogs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nope sorry, you are wrong.

Cossacks 2 is the only game that can actually do Napoleonic musketry right. It's such a shame they decided STARFORCE was needed to fight piracy though for those games.

Then you run out of coal and your army stops firing.

C3 is such a clusterfuck. Like, you have your cannon, which is basically king poo poo of artillery, you have you howitzer which is inferior in every possible way with a range and rate of fire that makes it literally useless, and you have your bombards which do an absurd 20 shots a minute or so, but can't target units... however, campaign AI likes putting units close to buildings and just leaving them there, and there is some mechanic where flying bits of debris kill people, so bombards end up working pretty good.

Your infantry can be herded into formations via officers and drummers, but they don't stay that way once the fight starts... oh and the entire lines no-clips into one spot where a hundred soldiers die in an area of 10 pixels.

Muskets kinda rule the day... unless someone gets in melee range! They don't have a melee attack and can only run away.

What else... tower cannons, just like regular field cannons, will fire through your dudes, killing people.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What, TFR agreed on 9mm vs. .45 ACP, 5.56mm vs. 7.62mm and, I dunno, Strykers and gun rights?

Because at least /k/ is full folks who get misty-eyed about Rhodesia and who are eagerly waiting for a "chimpout", so I wonder how TFR handles that crowd.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, I'd post in other subforums if they weren't horrible

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't understand the quirky forums to this day. Maybe I'll never be a true shitposter, just a poser.

my dad posted:

How often do you run into the Soviet or Allied equivalent of wehraboos? Like, people who are so incredibly into a myth about some Soviet tank's/ship's/weapon's quality that they go frothing at the mouth at the mere mention of one of its flaws?

I unbookmarked it after reading one too many "genocide is OK if it's being done to people I don't like" post for my sanity to endure. So I'll have to disagree.

I have seen the soviet-boo bingo card at least one, I think.

I went to check /pol/ on a lark and yeah, it's poo poo through-and-through

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Koramei posted:

From playing the Wargame series, it seems like you get that about the Soviets all the time.

There's this weird thing with the Soviets in online communities (in my experience) where people go gaga for Nazi stuff and think everything Soviet during WW2 was terrible, but as soon as you transition into the Cold War it flips to Soviet stuff being the best ever.

You don't have Nazis in the Cold War, I'd say. And Cold War was the time when the Soviet capability was being touted all the time (why else would you need to spend so much money to beat them), plus, sometimes you just get tired of American toys.

EDIT: Wargame is going to be releasing Israel as a non-affiliated (non-BLUEFOR or REDFOR) faction, it's going to be wonderful for the chat.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wargame also has FRENCH BIAS, don't forget that.

StashAugustine posted:

Probably a controversial question, but how hard did the Axis minors (Hungary, Romania, Finland etc) buy into Nazism?

Hungary got into the fascism thing!

Endman posted:

My mistake, we're talking more recently.

In that case, I've got a friend who was in the German paratroopers and the experience he felt encapsulated his time with them was when his G36 melted.

I thought the "melting problem" with the G36 is that it starts having crappy accuracy at 500 meters when it gets hot, and any infantryman will tell you that you can't really spot poo poo at 500 meters anyways.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Don't take my word for it, this is coming from my entirely subjective experience of seeing the same people who support Russian politics online also being completely convinced of the invincibility of its military hardware (which happens to be almost entirely Soviet).

ARMATA! PAK-FA! PAK-FA!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

More about Croatian crazies, please.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Did they run the whole party on Croatian Dirlevangers? Because we know that gas chambers et al were made because even hardcore nazis couldn't bear killing so much people directly (by shooting), so how come these guys got even closer and dirtier, and didn't have any issues?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

You cannot expect these people not to have the same issues. The difference might be that the german leadership actually cared in one way or the other for the wellbeing of their men, even if it's in terms that you can't carry out the task with them being raving alcoholics, going insane or killing themselves in unacceptable numbers. The decision to move to other methods than shooting came after Himmler visited the Mogilev area in fall '41, he pulled the strings pretty fast after that to make other methods of extermination happen.

On the other hand, having a special knife to kill Serbs faster...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

A few pages back, but Toblerone Triangular admitted they were a long con troll and not actually libertarian, and were giving up on that posting schtick because it was beginning to seep into their real life and affecting the way they thought in a bad way.

He who fights monsters etc

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

But as posted above they were uniquely awful. Except possibly for Finland. Is there nothing bad to say about Finland? Clean Finn-magt?

Swamp mongols?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Link to said post pls?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

For my part, I'm extremely ashamed for everything that RCC did in the relation to the matter :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

my dad posted:

Or Trin for being English?

Well... :v:

Wikipedia posted:

In the Royal Navy, the use of impressment to collect sailors resulted in the problem of preventing escape of the unwilling "recruits". The receiving ship was part of the solution; it was difficult to get off the ship without being detected, and most seamen of the era did not know how to swim

Wait, didn't the ship construction/French ships sucking post mentioned impressment being a myth or something, and that sailors were as literate as anyone?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cossacks II anthology is on sale on GOG, by the way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

poo poo I'm reading - 30 Years War, a European Tragedy
Actual consequences a little vague; castles are lost in Hungary, and Transylvania and its strategic Vampire supply is lost to the Ottomans.

Actually laughed in the street

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FT-17 was notably absent from the museum when I visited it :(

Great tank post, I loved it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

gently caress countries that go the federal route. Like, reading abou WWI and sometimes it mentions the German army and army of some region, what the Christ.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

Interested, I tried to google if the US military could seize power from a dictatorship. Never again.. :stare:

OBAMER IS GON SEND IN ZIONIST UN TROOPS TO TAKE ARE GUNS

GUNS PROTECT LIBURTY

SOLDIERS IN THE ARMY HAVE NO AGENCY OF THEIR OWN AND WOULD GLADLY RAPE AMERICAN BABIES WITH BAYONETS IF ORDERED IS WHAT WE'RE IMPLYING

YUROP MUDSLIME TERRORIST IMMIGRANTS BRITAIN

:tinfoil:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

it's something else allright. But seriously, are there any way to enforce the "enemies domestic" part of the oath? When would the U.S. military actually consider a civil leader a dictator, and would they mind?

Find out this November!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If they ask me for more than an ID, I'll leave while farting in their general direction.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

grover posted:

George Beurling, "The Falcon of Malta", a Canadian Spitfire fighter ace with 32 kills, was trotted around to sell war bonds, but got himself fired from that due to a tendency to get a little too graphic...

George Beurling, in a press interview, posted:

"I came right up underneath his tail. I was going faster than he was; about fifty yards behind. I was tending to overshoot. I weaved off to the right, and he looked out to his left. I weaved to the left and he looked out to his right. So, he still didn't know I was there. About this time I closed up to about thirty yards, and I was on his portside coming in at about a fifteen-degree angle. Well, twenty-five to thirty yards in the air looks as if you're right on top of him because there is no background, no perspective there and it looks pretty close. I could see all the details in his face because he turned and looked at me just as I had a bead on him. One of my can shells caught him in the face and blew his head right off. The body slumped and the slipstream caught the neck, the stub of the neck, and the blood streamed down the side of the cockpit. It was a great sight anyway. The red blood down the white fusilage. I must say it gives you a feeling of satisfaction when you actually blow their brains out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Not exactly thread related, but does anyone here know enough latin to fix this phrase?
Ave, Fortuna! Alea iaculator te salutant!