Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's in super-limited release right now. I think it might be hitting wide release by the end of the month, but I'm not sure.

It was in cinemas here back in October. I think at this point piracy might be the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mr Enderby posted:

Are you William the Silent?
You just accused an Irishman of being a member of the House of Orange... on the week of St. Patrick's day :stare:

Be careful starting your car.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

"Deep Battle" is taking place over miles:

6mm is 1/285 scale. If you're trying to model true ground scale that 35km breakthrough will need a table roughly 400' long.

I'm guessing you want to deal with specific areas and not try to simulate the entire operation - as such, you can use pretty much any conventional wargame and call it "deep battle" through picking forces from a specific order of battle, like "Soviet VDV vs. NATO rear echelon troops." I think the 15mm models are really nice, but yes, 6mm makes for a more realistic looking game.

I really wanted to like Team Yankee. I've played FoW, its predecessor, for years and I really like TY's model tanks. But the game itself is pretty lackluster. I'm hoping the 15mm scale tanks I built for it will work with the upcoming Battlegroup: NORTHAG game.
While 6mil is great, if you go with 2mil you only need about 10-12 feet worth of table. Not too bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

I agree with much of what was said in that article, but beware of seeing Soviet tactics as some sort of magic wand. They can indeed work well - and work well in many wargames - but they have their weaknesses.
What works in a wargame doesn't necessarily work in reality. Nobody cares how many times you get your tiny plastic men killed, and you don't even need to feed them. I can only think of a single wargame that even tries to address the complexities of what happens six months after the invasion and you're facing down societal collapse because you didn't bother to plan beyond "topple statues, declare victory".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tomn posted:

I would like to know more about this single wargame, please.
Sure! It's Ambush Alley Games/Osprey's Force on Force. It started as Ambush Alley, an asymmetrical "war on terror" squad level game and expanded to being a post WWII to today game that handles everything from a fireteam up to a short battalion reasonably well. The thing that makes it interesting is that there are campaign mechanics to handle supply and morale that go beyond player controllable such as a popular dude in a different platoon getting killed elsewhere and it bumming your dudes out or a random news crew showing up mid firefight and you having to be extra super careful not to kill civilians... which there are rules for riling up. It's the kind of game where you can have a single fireteam of dudes Rambo their way through all of Basra and still lose the mission because they wounded one of your Tier 1 Hi-Speed Lo-Drag Operators and the footage ended up on youtube.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
A friend of mine has run events where the overall commanders were at opposite ends of a hall from each other, with the table in the middle, observing the battle via a telescope and giving orders via runners. The words "the good news is: our cannonade was very successful. The bad news is: those were our Austrian allies" were spoken. I do like how in Force on Force that kind of complexity is simulated, or more accurately the failure is simulated, by Fog of War cards occasionally dropping rounds on units out of nowhere.

Even the best wargame is oblate spheroid battalions on a frictionless plane.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Is this the same game where the earlier iteration included handing off the reins to local troops, so your unit's capability degraded over time as the less well trained and equipped locals took over?
Nah, it's a way lower level of granularity than that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Best of all, this being a convention, other people were always wandering in and out of the room, asking things like "What are you playing" and "what're your guys doing?" It wasn't until after the game ended that it was revealed that some of the spectators were, in fact, the Viet Cong players...
:flashfap:
This is the good poo poo right here.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Afghanistan '11 was the one I was thinking of. It has a lot of similar mechanics to Force on Force, but on a small scale. The same studio also did Vietnam '65.
Ah, you're talking computer, I'm talking tabletop. World of difference there, even with really good games like Eugen's Wargame series.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was rolling some ideas for Force on Force PBP but the mechanics wouldn't work very well for anything above maaaaybe a section, and to make it interesting I'd have to work out a campaign.

Which would end up showing my bias against regular forces and just plain be anti-fun for the occupying power.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Air Fighters, maybe? :v:

Looks kind of like a WWI fighter combat wargame I used to play with my old wargaming group in Montana, GDW's Blue Max. (Once, our resident sandbagger lost his engine early, and survived to be the last kill by way of making only the simplest maneuvers, all that was possible with a dead engine, with no one else noticing thta he *couldn't* do anything else.)

Edit: it's American Heritage - Dogfight, a 1963 Milton Bradley game, and is available at a range of prices ranging from "affordable" to "gently caress you it's a collectible".
Side-note: My dad was in the Air Corps for the filming of The Blue Max. As a 17 year old recruit he was on guard duty and totally didn't see who broke into Ursula Andress's trailer you guys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polyakov posted:

For my money the reputation of bad British food comes from 2 things.

The first is that during the period that the majority of English speaking foreigners (The yanks) were exposed to English food it was 1941-45 when we were under rationing, they then took this impression home and it created the cultural perception that this is what British food is. Especially as compared to their own pretty plentifully supplied food.

The second is that the most influential British cookery book probably of all time was Mrs Beetons book of Household Management. This was wildly popular, like beyond all reason, when it was published selling millions of copies and being reprinted for a century after it was originally written. And to put it mildly, it was a bit poo poo in many places, because the author was not a cook at all and didnt really understand cooking and reprinted a lot of recipes and facts about food without checking if it happened to be true (she was however a good writer). For instance she started the nasty habit of boiling vegetables beyond the point of recognition until they turned into mush (she recommended boiling carrots for 2 hours and most other things for at least 3 to 4 times longer than we would now), because undercooked vegetables would ferment in the stomach. Its like if those godawful american cookbooks from the age of gelatin became influential tomes that endured for a century.
It's still not great, based on recent visits.

What really confuses me is that the bad teeth stereotype still exists what with the NHS compared to US healthcare :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ughhhh posted:

Hahaha. Police in the US don't use those anymore. It's all LRAD that will make you vomit from a good distance that you have no protection (in NY, teargas causes too much collateral damage to buildings and private property. But LRAD targets groups of people directly. It's disgusting).
I guess this means we just have to reintroduce regimental drummers to our pike formations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Realistically just having someone with decently bassy speakers blaring Rage Against The Machine will likely do well enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Too dumb, or ideologically opposed to the entire concept of tieing stuff?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tias posted:

The first. Anarchists succesfully organized the civic life of 8 million people in CNT-controlled territories during the Spanish civil war, they can loving get together for a tercio workshop.
I need to learn more about the Spanish Civil War in general, but the impression I've gotten from the brief wargames-level books I've skimmed is that the Anarchists there were ineffective enough to be considered a joke. They're obviously hyper focused on combat situations though, so not really a good overview. Any suggestions for a decent starting point?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

No? At least no more so than many others; civil wars tend to amateurism in general. The Stalinists claimed they were as part of their reason for suppressing the anarchist militias (and thus taking full control of the Republic war effort for themselves) but that isn't actually the same thing.

If you've not read Homage to Catalonia, do that. He was POUM but he describes Anarchist rule in Barcelona.
Homage to Catalonia is on the list of things to read, but I suspect Orwell's view might be slightly biased what with him being personally involved. I'm thinking something with a bit more distance and broad strokes might be better to start with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tias posted:

I cherish my copy of Beevors The Spanish Civil War. It's completely indispensable, really. It gives a good feel for the cultural and political mores inspiring Spain at the time, and a great overview of the war itself - it's also very good for getting dates, organizations, people and governments down, because it is a really confusing mess of events at best. As all things Beevor, however, take his analyses with a grain of salt.
I'll keep an eye out for a copy then. I normally enjoy Beevor's work as a good starting point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bewbies posted:

Casually using the term "concentration camp" to describe anything that isn't related to the Holocaust is the logical equivalent of arguing the swastika is just some kind of Indian good luck symbol or some poo poo

I'm sure we all find these immigration and refugee practices abhorrent, but invoking Holocaust imagery makes you look like a retard and more importantly alienates the people you should be trying to convince.

side note: this is pretty much universally true every time you use nazis as an historical comparison for anything bad
Given that it's gone beyond immigrants and refugees and a few US citizens have been snatched "by mistake"...

I mean it's not there yet, but it's looking like it might be heading that way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

wallenstein got killed by a conspiracy within the imperial high command

i mean, i guess it was a conspiracy. is it a conspiracy if the emperor is part of it?
If Bush did 9/11 then yes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fangz posted:

lowest point in human history. (Assyrians were worse, probably)
Can you expand on this please? I know nothing about the Assyrians at all.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly, :godwin: is gonna pop up pretty much everywhere you go with political discussions, so it seems a pointless battle to try to fight it off in one of the few examples where the comparison is fairly apt.
Mike Godwin himself chimed in to suspend his law with regard to the Trump administration so :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SimonCat posted:

No kids allowed at AIT, they confiscated my cell phone, we did have a couple people try to commit suicide while I was there, and at least one got arrested. This being the States, getting shot is always on the table.
What is AIT and why are you assuming we all know WTF you mean?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Libluini posted:

Ukraine isn't in the Balkans
But Russia is still Russia, right? :ohdear:

zoux posted:

It's the round of Army training after Basic
Oh.

Well that's just a totally ridiculous comparison then really.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah I visited the Vatican about a decade ago. They’ve got the guys dressed like a respectable version of hey guns dudes doing the Buckingham Palace Guard bit then if you pay attention there are dudes in suits with earpieces like you see at the White House etc.

On the other hand I have heard that they do train with the halberds so if you decide to act a fool next to one you might get some enthusiastic crowd control with the stick or the steel if you’re enough of a problem.

That’s just a thing I read or heard somewhere with no source so grain of salt. I want it to be true though.
They will use the halberds to prevent you entering St. Peter's if you're a woman with uncovered shoulders. I can confirm seeing this happen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

frankenfreak posted:

Have they eased up on uncovered knees now?
This was years ago, but I'll be back in October. Remind me then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

steinrokkan posted:

Protip, nobody is forcing you to visit their place of worship.
This is not a great hill to die on when we're talking about the Catholic church.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tevery Best posted:

When you go to St. Peter's Basilica (or, in fact, any church at all), you cover your shoulders and knees (this goes for both men and women, in fact).
This is not universal. It's mostly just noteworthy at the time because it seemed like a funny relic of times gone by when I visited first in 2005 or so.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

steinrokkan posted:

It's as good a hill as any other religion.
Well it turns out they were literally running a human trafficking operation here until at least the 1980's so... :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe try and have basic human deceny instead of acting like an rear end in a top hat in a place that's sacred to hundreds of millions.
TBH there's not even any reason to go unless you're going to see the artifacts of that faith, for whatever reason. If you don't want to be polite just don't go in. I'll happily watch from outside next time and report back. I'm kind of curious to see if they've patched the glaring security holes in the square outside too.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, because that invalidates the whole religion...

Listen, it's a funny anachronism, but it's basic decency to follow the host's rules when you are a guest. And most catholic churches don't give a crap about how you dress, they are happy somebody visits at all (in Europe at least), so rebelling against following the rules in the few regions that enforce the orthodoxy comes off as extra obnoxious.
It's not the only thing, but it's one hell of a contributing factor in their history here in Ireland which makes it easy to write them off TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HorrificExistence posted:

idk, in the eastern orthodox world stuff like that is pretty common, it's prob just a relic to people from the tippy tippy top of western europe
Eastern Orthodox is not Roman Catholic. We've still got two constitutional clauses put in due to church lobbying and the entire national education system is run by it as well as most hospitals. The claws are deep here, but that still struck me as odd. Maybe because I'm not used to that one thing amongst a sea of other things, but it seems like the kind of minor poo poo that they'd let slide to keep enforcing the big stuff to me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Probably moreso than Jeff Davis.
I mean by the end of WWII Jeff pulling out a win might have been a bit much to expect even of gay black Hitler.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

FOI is good and a necessary part of transparency but gently caress people who file nuisance FOIA requests. They tend to be sovereign citizen types who are sure they are going to uncover the smoking gun of government abuse in the 60,000 emails that contain the word "funding"
To be fair, that kind of thing is likely a WWIII wargamer trying to work out exactly what the MoD can mobilise in case Putin invades in Operation Red Sealion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Plan Z posted:

Author question:

I've read a few of Antony Beevor's books, and am I wrong to be particularly wary of the guy? His stuff on the Soviets speaks in such broad strokes and I find enough snippets to be just flat-out wrong or worrying (like the methodology he used to estimate the number of Soviet rapes in Germany). I rarely see any criticism of him while I see plenty on other authors I like such as David Glantz. The only criticism I see comes from Eastern European countries banning his books for apparently political reasons so that simultaneously makes me suspicious of everyone.
His stuff on the Soviet Union is also his earliest published work IIRC, but I haven't ploughed through his mammoth WWII yet so maybe he just repeats stuff in there? He claims to have just used the Soviet archives to reach his numbers, but :shrug:.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know if I'd characterize the Russian Fed as red but your point stands.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't call the op "Sealion" either for obvious reasons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope the hedgehog made it too :(.
I recently learned that they're actually spectacular climbers, so there's hope for the little guy.

Deptfordx posted:

In a full on exchange you're not getting away scot-free. Potential support for the Uk government, ports that could support NATO forces and most important your airports. If it's 'Time to fire everything' you'd eat a few nukes on general principle.
That's a rather optimistic view of Irish-NATO relations...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That wouldn't even get them all, we've got a silly number of local airports capable of handling 747 landings if necessary.

Squalid posted:

Were there any public survival plans for post-nuclear war Ireland? I imagine the government had to have put some thought into contingencies.
They gave us some iodine tablets one time for some reason :shrug: I will dig into it more tomorrow when I am not just finishing a week in work.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 15, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what creature from Greek Mythology would be the best Voltigeur?
Fauns?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SeanBeansShako posted:

I kind of figured they'd be the centre companies of the line.
They're far too nimble to waste in the centre companies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Göring. No contest.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

C.M. Kruger posted:

105mm artillery shells would need to be either trimmed down on a lathe
Jesus loving nope to doing that job :yikes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Lone Badger posted:

I think they're empty at that point.
Presumably captured empty with a stock of gas to fill them then, because otherwise you've just moved the poo poo job one step earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cyrano4747 posted:

Google around and you can find pics of modern tanks from (presumably) exercises with their tracks all gunked up from wire. I can't figure out what vehicle this is, but it doesn't look fun to clear:

Looks almost like the little footstep in the front mudguard of an M113 over the drive sprocket? Maybe?