Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've been putting off creating this thread for too long and don't want to miss the opportunity to make this happen again. For anyone unfamiliar with Cornerspin, it's a "road racing school taught in the dirt" that takes place near Charlotte NC. It's a two day class where you learn racing skills on a dirt course. I don't want to type it all out so click this for more details: http://www.cornerspin.com/overview.html They provide you with a 100-150cc bike and unless you bring your own. It's a little pricey for first timers but well worth it.

A few of us DC area biek goons took a mini road trip down in 2014 and had a blast. I couldn't make it last year but heard it was just as good of a time. In addition to being fun, the skills you learn really do translate well to street riding/racing. Let's use this thread to plan the 2016 trip.

Available dates:
September 17/18
October 8/9
October 22/23
November - TBD

Goons that have expressed interest in attending:

me
Koruthaiolos
HNasty
razzled (mailbox)
ought ten
buildscharacter
echomadman
EX 250R (rifkin)
M42
mcclaren f1

If any of you guys are still interested, let me know which weekend you prefer ITT. Any other east coast goons (or ones willing to travel) are welcome to join.

Here are some random pix from 2014:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm in for the last October date!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Replying cause I got yelled at.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Trackbike and upcoming trackdays have owned my wallet, so not this year.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Replying cause I got yelled at.

I'll assume this means you are available Oct 22/23 too lol

M42
Nov 12, 2012

At least mr. lawless sikhnasty will be able to get SOME legal 2 wheel riding done the rest of this season

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
gently caress yeah i'm voting hard for october

sept is no good due to weddings i gotta go to

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Everyone with interest please take some time to fill this out so we can get some movement on this. Several interested parties need some info on this to plan ahead and make it.

http://whenisgood.net/nbpe3b5

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

Everyone with interest please take some time to fill this out so we can get some movement on this. Several interested parties need some info on this to plan ahead and make it.

http://whenisgood.net/nbpe3b5

Done.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Did it, I'm good for mid to late Oct.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

In case there are any lurkers who want to come and goon it up sitting in the corner by themselves, final date is Oct 22-23. Get your spot before it's too late.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I live too far away, I don't have the money, and I think Ridesmart is doing a trackday at MSRHouston on the 23rd. So I'm just here to threadshit.

Sup.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This ever get set up?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

BlackMK4 posted:

This ever get set up?

Yep, we're locked in to go the weekend of October 22-23. If anyone interested need a referral code (first timers only) let me know. A couple of the vets can accommodate I believe (myself included). It's 50$ off for both people that way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I shall pass then, I've got days booked on the 21st and 2rd. :) Woulda flown out.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
cornerspin 2016 was a great success! many fun times had.

http://i.imgur.com/DYnydDe.mp4

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i high sided trying to save a power slide and whisky throttled my rear end into the air off the track

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

i high sided trying to save a power slide and whisky throttled my rear end into the air off the track

If you're gonna be stupid high side on a 125cc 4t in the dirt, you've gotta be tough. :respek:

Here are some notes on things I learned.

1. Body position.
-way far up on the tank
-elbows up
-if elbows up feels bad, you're not forward far enough
-hands coming in at angles, hold the grips like you're holding a screwdriver, don't use your pinkies to hold
-when turning, grip the bike with your outside leg, turn your head hard to look through the turn, this combo will mean your body twists, pressing your outside leg against the tank.That is correct.
-feet always on the pegs. No, you're not good enough to put your foot down.
-did I mention elbows up?

2. Use your head for thinking about things and stuff
-try to think and look ahead.
-be aware of changing traction conditions
-be aware of camber
-you can do ~3 laps at 100%, then you crash because you run out of focus and thinking
-ride a slow lap or two first

3. Traction, braking and accelerarion
-traction is limited
-it changes
-you can use it to brake, accelerate or lean
-if you use it to do two out of three you will run out of traction much faster
-you are not Marquez, so don't use 100% of it.
-trail braking is good
-brake as you go into the corner
-front and rear, transition to rear only, then switch to throttle
-NEVER coast
-always either throttle or brake
-this doesn't apply to street riding

4. Weighting the bike
-body position is key
-use braking and acceleration
-move around on the seat
-throttle moves weight back
-brake moves weight forward
-when braking hard, keep your hips forward but lean your shoulders back
-let the bike move around under you, in the dirt you should be vertical as the bike leans
-on asphalt, you lean down more with the bike

5. Line selection
-lol, you're awful at this
-enter turns from the outside
- not turns, a series of straight lines
-a straight starts at the first turn after the last straight
-if you accelerate earlier out of a turn you are much faster
-careful not to mess up slow turns, that's where you lose the most time
-really crank on your bars, you're not pulling them off
-straighten the bike up as fast as you can out of the corner

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Things I learned:

- disc brakes need just a bit less pressure than drums on dirt before locking up and dumping your rear end
- just cause it's not asphalt doesn't mean the ground won't hurt
- razzled figured out a creative, though painful, way to get himself a couple pairs of jorts
- a Miata is a poor vehicle choice to change pants in
- razzled's dad is a pretty baller motherfucker
- never stay in an econolodge

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Koruthaiolos posted:

- razzled's dad is a pretty baller motherfucker

Well duh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaTLgw_akhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Forgot to add to the list:
-motocross style is the best style

Seriously though. Like one of those guys who can afford to be really nice and let the world come at him because it doesn't much matter what happens, he'll still be the baddest dude in the room.

Koruthaiolos posted:

- never stay in an econolodge

You say this, but... would you like to buy a doll?

What's wrong, don't you think they're pretty?

• Locked thread