Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Moths are butterflies made of felt. Nobody knows where they came from, or what they want from us.
Imgur is being weird for me, so here's some pinboards for inspiration
https://www.pinterest.com/staffordsheer/moths/

https://www.pinterest.com/lsb2832/butterflies-and-moths/

https://www.pinterest.com/kpochman/lepidoptera/

I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Go so here's Venomoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
The problem of being faster than light is that you can only live in darkness.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Long animals.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I want to get away from constantly using heavy black lines in all my portraits so what do I do? Use heavy other-color lines! :downs:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Alternate solution is to not use lines at all and step up your shading game.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Reene posted:

I want to get away from constantly using heavy black lines in all my portraits
if you want to learn to draw in value rather than line, then try using a big brush. if you're drawing like an 8"x8" picture then don't use anything smaller than 0.5" (and use bigger when possible) until you're done blocking out everything and the forms look right.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Meant to say earlier that these are rad af. Great economy of line.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Danke.

I've been starting paintings with simple value blobs lately. I'll probably finish this sometime.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That's looking really good.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I got lazy and stopped drawing after I somehow finished my 30 day challenge

Only registered members can see post attachments!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I've been watching a load of old chinese men on Youtube paint trad oils and I love the way they just slap paint on with a big brush and work up into detail without an under-drawing, so I've been trying to replicate it in digital. Of course the results suck but sometimes you just want to have fun for an hour and a half and not worry about meticulous construction, layer management, actually looking at the reference, hard work

Would appreciate crit / any resources on how to develop brush economy

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 8, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

I've been watching a load of old chinese men on Youtube paint trad oils and I love the way they just slap paint on with a big brush and work up into detail without an under-drawing, so I've been trying to replicate it in digital. Of course the results suck but sometimes you just want to have fun for an hour and a half and not worry about meticulous construction, layer management, actually looking at the reference, hard work
which guys? I worked with some old chinese painter guys briefly last year and those guys were loving beast at drawing and painting, they just put stuff in the right place first time every time. With those guys it was the opposite though, they were looking at their subjects way more than they looked at what they were actually doing

Honestly there's not that much to brush economy. Just go from big brush blockouts and work your way down. Pick a size of brush and smaller that you won't use.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
So this isn't a moth or technically a drawing but that I finally screen printed that design I started last month.

Screen printing is a bit frustrating but with each batch I'm getting better and having less ruined images. I'll try printing on some real paper instead of cheap non-archival stuff in the next run.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sooooo out of practice.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs moth boobs boobs boobs.

Nice studies!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

which guys? I worked with some old chinese painter guys briefly last year and those guys were loving beast at drawing and painting, they just put stuff in the right place first time every time. With those guys it was the opposite though, they were looking at their subjects way more than they looked at what they were actually doing

Honestly there's not that much to brush economy. Just go from big brush blockouts and work your way down. Pick a size of brush and smaller that you won't use.

yeah they just nail it first time; like you said they just take the time to make sure each stroke is based on considered observation. hard habit to get into, especially once you get going with the painting. Here's what I've been watching recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-qEP3yoceM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzDUeKYiis

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Toofbirbs

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Toothbirds are best birds

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Phelps Face

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

yeah they just nail it first time; like you said they just take the time to make sure each stroke is based on considered observation. hard habit to get into, especially once you get going with the painting. Here's what I've been watching recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-qEP3yoceM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzDUeKYiis
Thanks. I haven't met either of those guys but it's a very similar style to what I saw.

One thing to take away from those videos is that they start with a very simple monochrome edge-based sketch in four or five stages of refinement, and at each stage they're checking to see if it's correct (note how the guy in the first video moves the edges around quite a bit as he refines them).

If you're newer to painting, you can expect this sketching stage to take a lot longer.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

gmc9987 posted:

boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs moth boobs boobs boobs.

Nice studies!

ty

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Painted some final frontier.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Getting much better results from just using hard round brush. Coming from natural media I was trying to use all these funky textured brushes

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Getting much better results from just using hard round brush. Coming from natural media I was trying to use all these funky textured brushes

Yeah, you want to do most of your work with simple brushes in digital. Textured brushes can be good to come in with for detail work afterwards. Looks really good :thumbsup:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Garbage Jesus aka Hotdog Jesus.

Gonna paint this goofy-rear end thing on my friends trashcan. Gonna make it an altarpiece of sorts for trash/trashy culture. It's gonna be weird.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Done in the span of a couple hours last night.

I really like drawing monsters.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Been drawing some with random materials when I'm bored at work.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Reposting from last month's thread, pouring out a 40 for John McLaughlin. :smith:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Got some good iterative work done today on my upcoming altarpiece inspired trashcan painting.

Some highlights:

Faerie pig

"Let's talk about roaches"

I "discovered" a new (to me) shading technique. I need to play with it a bit more, but I really like the overall effect. I'm gonna scale these images up and make them into stencils. poo poo's gonna be rad af.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Bellubrunnus

E:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 17, 2016

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Really love those bubbles! Also, some great perspective/foreshortening work on robot helmet swimmer lady.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm on theme!

But also not, this was a commission for a friend:

Bonus: I was arting real bad the other day so to cheer myself up I drew a butt and then it turned into Super Empowered AU Sonic and I just went with it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Doodles from last night. Turns out the can isn't as boring as I thought after inking. Goes to show what I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

dog nougat posted:

Really love those bubbles! Also, some great perspective/foreshortening work on robot helmet swimmer lady.

Thanks!

• Locked thread