Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

zwdzk posted:

Richard Garriott invented the metaverse and created the first metaverse to sell NFTs. He's a visionary and deserves our respect.

Finally, someone with the balls to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Node posted:

Finally, someone with the balls rat tail to say it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zwdzk posted:

Richard Garriott invented the metaverse and created the first metaverse to sell NFTs. He's a visionary and deserves our respect.

yep

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
first time i went to the terathan keep outside papua was epic & very scary. there were mages on the walls killing ophids with blade spirits, firewalls, energy bolts. get through the ophid path and you see the spiders. holy poo poo. i stood next to my friend behind some plants while he xbowed them. people uses boxes and such to keep the little platforms safe from the teras. when the queen spawned (casts flame strike sometimes) that was a big fear. use hide skill for sure until that baddie was done. years later i could farm balrons with over 9000 summoned deamons. amazing game.

went to see a play at the brit theatre. drank some ale. wow.

later i would become a renowned duelist. well, not renowned actually - more like Dread. Mwahahaha. ph43r meh n00bies

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Smythe posted:

first time i went to the terathan keep outside papua was epic & very scary. there were mages on the walls killing ophids with blade spirits, firewalls, energy bolts. get through the ophid path and you see the spiders. holy poo poo. i stood next to my friend behind some plants while he xbowed them. people uses boxes and such to keep the little platforms safe from the teras. when the queen spawned (casts flame strike sometimes) that was a big fear. use hide skill for sure until that baddie was done. years later i could farm balrons with over 9000 summoned deamons. amazing game.

went to see a play at the brit theatre. drank some ale. wow.

later i would become a renowned duelist. well, not renowned actually - more like Dread. Mwahahaha. ph43r meh n00bies

I would go to the bottom of terathan keep and hide in the one tile wide hallway leading to the two balron room. When people inevitably ran away from them, they wouldn't have enough stamina to move past me, so they'd get clobbered. Once the balrons left I'd loot the dead dude's corpse, recall and bank the stuff, rinse and repeat. The loot from players was way better than the loot from the balrons.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wonder if Garriott ever made any comment about how his world, which holds the virtues in religious reverence, became all about loving each other over and stealing everything that isn't nailed down the second it was available in a multi-player format.

His entire creation is one giant failure of its own worldview.

He's probably too busy rolling around in piles of money to give a poo poo.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mean, the thing in just about every Ultima game except maybe 6 is you're in a world where virtues are either absent or broken and you as the Avatar are the sole achievable conduit for them (and that's only actually enforced in what, three games?), if that. I love that for example serpent isle is pretty much the island of we-didn't-get-what-our-religions-are-about.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chev posted:

I mean, the thing in just about every Ultima game except maybe 6 is you're in a world where virtues are either absent or broken and you as the Avatar are the sole achievable conduit for them (and that's only actually enforced in what, three games?), if that. I love that for example serpent isle is pretty much the island of we-didn't-get-what-our-religions-are-about.

4 and 5 are the only games that actually require the player to not lie and boast and steal. All other Ultimas allowed you to be a typical RPG rear end in a top hat.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
In 6 there's no individual virtue tracking but you still need high Karma, don't you?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chev posted:

In 6 there's no individual virtue tracking but you still need high Karma, don't you?

IIRC, 6 tracked Karma but didn't penalize you. It was 7 where your companions would leave if you were an rear end in a top hat. (you could still win)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Turns out it starts at an eligible value but should it drop too low you can't meditate, which is required at several points during the main quest.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.
I am playing this

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

How is it? Do you own a town or anything?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Reciprocator posted:

I am playing this

Why?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I mean, cool. Me too.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Reciprocator posted:

I am playing this

Congrats on being a bit more than 2% of the player base.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Reciprocator posted:

I am playing this

Hey if you see Lord British hanging around in game tell him alot of us still havent received our early backer gift or whatever..

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

FreeWifi!! posted:

Hey if you see Lord British hanging around in game tell him alot of us still havent received our early backer gift or whatever..

Lord British abandoned this game quite some time back.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Node posted:

Lord British used this one one weird trick to prevent players from killing him in his own game. Gamers hate him!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Node posted:

I’m not well versed on this game’s history. Has he ever played it live?

I’m not hopeful, but Chris Roberts played Star Citizen live and it was one of the best moments in gaming history.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JugbandDude posted:

I’m not hopeful, but Chris Roberts played Star Citizen live and it was one of the best moments in gaming history.

He hasn't, I am not sure he has ever played his own game even once.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

He hasn't, I am not sure he has ever played his own game even once.

nah, he played it often when it was in active development, I think there’s a steam achievement if you get on his friends list. mind you, his version of “playing” was puttering around lowbie areas, filing hundreds of JIRAs on what he wanted the game to do (I would usually get these) and putting people on friends lists.

I doubt he’s been on in the past few years other than the rare twitch stream.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Did they ever fix any of the aggro-manipulation abilities? Like their version of the wow spell "fade" (a personal aggro-dumping ability) would be undone if the mob took any damage at all from anyone (including the tank). There was a million things like that, none of it worked at a basic level, so it was impossible to do any real grouping, the whole game was everyone just training up every skill to become a one-man army.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Did they ever fix any of the aggro-manipulation abilities? Like their version of the wow spell "fade" (a personal aggro-dumping ability) would be undone if the mob took any damage at all from anyone (including the tank). There was a million things like that, none of it worked at a basic level, so it was impossible to do any real grouping, the whole game was everyone just training up every skill to become a one-man army.

This was almost certainly due to the networking peer to peer model which caused innumerable weird bugs in anything group related. No idea if that ever got fixed. However that also meant that the game can essentially live forever as all it needs is one or two AWS instances to handle authentication and persistence. If it required real game servers it would have shut down years ago.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 12, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JugbandDude posted:

i highly doubt anything chris roberts did was the best of anything history, but im open to being proven wrong. let me know and/or ideally link me something.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Smythe posted:

i highly doubt anything chris roberts did was the best of anything history, but im open to being proven wrong. let me know and/or ideally link me something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

How are they even paying for their server costs for this game..?

Assuming the one guy still working at Catnip games doesn't run the whole game off a prebuilt dell in his sister's garage...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

FreeWifi!! posted:

How are they even paying for their server costs for this game..?

Assuming the one guy still working at Catnip games doesn't run the whole game off a prebuilt dell in his sister's garage...

SOTA's server costs are super low. A medium-size AWS instance costs about $75 a month. They're not clearing that much, but they're probably clearing that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This is hilarious.

Let's be very charitable and assume that 25% of people play through Steam. That's still an average on 200 players at a time. That's... beyond sad.

The 'pirate' MMO I'm playing, City of Heroes, has 1928 players right now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I almost want to reinstall and tour the game just to see what a MMORPG wasteland looks like.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Node posted:

I almost want to reinstall and tour the game just to see what a MMORPG wasteland looks like.

the youtube series "worst MMO ever" is basically this, just touring long dead/dying mmos and its pretty entertaining

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Gynovore posted:

This is hilarious.

Let's be very charitable and assume that 25% of people play through Steam. That's still an average on 200 players at a time. That's... beyond sad.

The 'pirate' MMO I'm playing, City of Heroes, has 1928 players right now.

Oh snap, I didn't know CoH had been emulated. I didn't play for long but I do remember that falling graphics, like when you jumped off a building, gave me that wicked sinking sensation in my stomach. I should try it out again.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

the youtube series "worst MMO ever" is basically this, just touring long dead/dying mmos and its pretty entertaining

Josh Hayes even did an episode on Shroud of the Avatar for it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Canuckistan posted:

Oh snap, I didn't know CoH had been emulated. I didn't play for long but I do remember that falling graphics, like when you jumped off a building, gave me that wicked sinking sensation in my stomach. I should try it out again.

Here is the thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890655

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
This appears to still exist for some reason

https://www.ironandmagic.com/

it would be very on brand for this to come out a year after web3 collapses into a hype-driven scamheap

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

it would be very on brand for this to come out a year after web3 collapses into a hype-driven scamheap

Why are the land parcels "coming soon". They know you can just sell air to these crypto dunces, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

lol web 3.0

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Why are the land parcels "coming soon". They know you can just sell air to these crypto dunces, right?

I assume they don't have the web3 crypto-to-air pipeline developed yet, this takes time

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I assume since Chris Spears is involved, he just has to find web 3.0 on the Unity Asset store and viola! Pipeline complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Good news!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/quarterssdk-226386