Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

So this is Neverdie's dumb "teleporter tokens" idea with a new coat of paint and blockchain tacked on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
no idea, I just did a search for "blockchain" on the unity asset store. if you actually install anything blockchain-related into a unity project you are even dumber than I am.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I like how Richard Garriot is a grown man, yet he still insist on wearing a crown in pretty much every picture of him ever taken..

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Wait, you're telling me this game was made by the Richard Garriot!?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Wait, you're telling me this game was made by the Richard Garriot!?

Who?

Ohhhh Lord British!!

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 17, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Richard Garriot is a dork rear end loser, but that is the least of his problems. Being a con-artist that scammed a lot of people is nowadays his most serious character flaw.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't even his worst character flaw. He was well-known for being such a lovely boss to work under that when EA bought Origin and took away all of his power that the rest of Origin was relieved and happy. Because they'd rather have the oppressive evil supercorp ruling them than HIM.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, when all of the old guard of Origin left, and Bullfrog left after the mergers with EA, it turned out the management of those studios was a total mess. All of those managers went off to start new game companies, but they were all total failures without oversight and accountability of any kind. EA buying them wasn’t entirely the bad thing that people thought it was.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was sad when EA put the corpse of OSI up on display as Origin their game downloading service.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want EA to make a new Ultima, and Wing Commander game as a gently caress you to Garriot, and Chris.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How's Pathfinder Online going these days?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I was sad when EA put the corpse of OSI up on display as Origin their game downloading service.

drat im so stupid i never put this together lol. fukken RIP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I really want EA to make a new Ultima, and Wing Commander game as a gently caress you to Garriot, and Chris.

uo: outlands is as close as we're gonna get to UO:2 and hell, it owns.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no jukka and meer tho, alas. maybe some day? luthius? thoughts? :pray:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

The Lone Badger posted:

How's Pathfinder Online going these days?

Died last year, they've had much more success with the Pathfinder Isometric RPGs instead, turns out the license is much better suited to single player experiences instead.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
anyway, the incredibly informative web site for the new NFT game disappeared, was briefly replaced with a "you haven't paid your bill" notice, and now redirects to a Facebook page, in case you were wondering as to the technical competency of the new team.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

anyway, the incredibly informative web site for the new NFT game disappeared, was briefly replaced with a "you haven't paid your bill" notice, and now redirects to a Facebook page, in case you were wondering as to the technical competency of the new team.

Completely on brand for Richard Garriot to do. This is how Shroud of the Avatar was ran too.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Maybe the art was stolen after all. Is Ryan Archer still part of the gang?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

this would be supremely awesome. if they made a low effort Wing Commander game that was a reskin of CoD:IW it would probably be moderately successful and angrily panned only by Snore Citizens for not respecting the Kzin Kilrathi background material.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 18, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cmdrk posted:

this would be supremely awesome. if they made a low effort Wing Commander game that was a reskin of CoD:IW it would probably be moderately successful and angrily panned only by Snore Citizens for not respecting the Kzin Kilrathi background material.

I would just love something that is like Star Wars Squadron. EA has shown they can absolutely make these sort of games and do them really well.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Wing Commander: The Movie: The Game

Also a netflix Ultima show that's just a bog-standard isekai-show, just so we can have an as-seen-on-Netflix Ultima reboot.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh, Bullfrog. I want EA to make a new Magic Carpet game, that game slapped

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I never beat the original Dungeon Keeper and wish my old discs ran on something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never beat the original Dungeon Keeper and wish my old discs ran on something.

I ended up getting the gog versions. Dungeons III is what the canceled Dungeon Keeper 3 was suppose to be.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lum_ posted:

Not paying for ten years months weeks hosting upfront sounds pretty competent.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

4 and 5 are the only games that actually require the player to not lie and boast and steal. All other Ultimas allowed you to be a typical RPG rear end in a top hat.

First thing I did in every 7 play through was rob the bank.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gynovore posted:

4 and 5 are the only games that actually require the player to not lie and boast and steal. All other Ultimas allowed you to be a typical RPG rear end in a top hat.

4 and 5 actually let you do all of that just fine. You just had to pay a very small pittance to make up for your evil deeds.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 24, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
So, um, the game's been offline for over a week because the last update was world-eatingly bad.

They just announced they'd be coming back up some point in the future... after rolling back to last August.

It looks like almost the entire dev team (of 4 or 5 or so) is now new hires from the community, Chris has posted some but not that much.

Anyway, yeah, that happened.

(the SOTA-RAW reddit has most of the gory details as they happened: https://reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar_raw/ )

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lol it sounds like this is really just a quiet way of saying “we are shutting the game down permanently.” There’s not enough people left playing to justify bringing SotA back up.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I’ve got a “shroud” for ya right here [stuffs all remaining players into a burlap sack and throws it into the river]

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lum_ posted:

It looks like almost the entire dev team (of 4 or 5 or so) is now new hires from the community, Chris has posted some but not that much.

Paid hires?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I'm shocked the community even had four or five people left.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

So, um, the game's been offline for over a week because the last update was world-eatingly bad.

Whoa! So is my boxed copy still playable in offline single player as per the Kickstarter promises?

I assume not, but actual question.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Whoa! So is my boxed copy still playable in offline single player as per the Kickstarter promises?

I actually think it is, I saw a post where somebody pointed out that there are still people playing the game, even right now

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Ironically enough, yes, it should be. The "offline single player mode" is basically "you have your own server, with one person". The auth server stuff should still work, it's the game database that's fubar. So if you have a pressing need to grind 40 wolves or something it's there.

...of course it's a good bet that whatever corruption of the game data happened to cause all this in a previous update affected the single player DB as well. So if you placed a house and decorated it so you could look at it and say to yourself "yes, this is a place for all my stuff", it may not be there any more? I don't know. I just wrote bad quests.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 7, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

*Let's not get ahead of ourselves meme*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1572303133849817088?s=20&t=zD6VXaaT4RHH00jdRVG-Zw

Lol Richard Garriot is truly a class-A piece of poo poo. It’s always someone else’s fault.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
How does he explain Ultima 7-1 and 7-2 being buggy unfinished pieces of poo poo?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kchama posted:

How does he explain Ultima 7-1 and 7-2 being buggy unfinished pieces of poo poo?

Ultima 7 had some bugs and design flaws, but all things considered it was good. 8 and 9 were the dumpster fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Ultima 7 had some bugs and design flaws, but all things considered it was good. 8 and 9 were the dumpster fires.

As someone who played it at the time, it was absolutely buggy and unfinished all over, especially Serpent Isle.