Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Given enough time I bet there will be in-game Ferraris. They'll cost as much as a real one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I wonder if changing plates and bowls to coal will make cooking any more feasible. I feel like even with that change, the investment to make each dish is still going to be ridiculous. The recipes are just too huge and convoluted in order to make each a unique combination of ingredients.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Hadn't logged in since the release went live until just now. From what I can tell, Estgard looks great! I'd love to see the rest of it, but my FPS won't get over 16 or so.

Stoked about the accordion and one-man band from the telethon, but all my ABCs got wiped for some reason!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Nunes posted:

I dont recall seeing any skulls ever. How do I view this?

edit - spelling error

When you enter a scene, turn around and look right next to the entrance. There's a stake with a number of skulls on it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'm really digging how having the flaming bagpipes equipped cause my character to burst into spouting flames whenever any sort of animation is triggered.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
There's another telethon today starting in 90 minutes. Spend $5 in the addon store and get whatever ridiculous prizes they promise as they reach goals.

Edit: /pukeblood is $5

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 28, 2016

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I wonder if the clockwork armor will have an integrated portable aether vibration amplifier headset in the helmet??

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I log in once a day to tell the Oracle I'm a good boy and a collect my 500 gold and xp.

So if I ever do play seriously again, I'll have plenty of cash and a backlog of XP to burn up.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I wonder if the clockwork armor will have an integrated portable aether vibration amplifier headset in the helmet??

My satire is become reality according to update release notes. I don't know how to feel about this.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Lum_ posted:

light up

So is it going to...?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'm still in Estgard, but I mostly just log in to do my daily session with the Oracle. I'm not Dev+, but do have anyone who is willing to compile our offerings of goony viking names for submission?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Tor Guntsman

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Freakazoid_ posted:

at this point I suspect lum would make more money being an mmo twitch streamer than remaining on board garriott's sinking ship bulldozed castle deflating airship

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I still want it to be good. I don't play it, but I want to play it someday. Maybe it will be good someday.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
How long until you can buy desk and shelf sized mushrooms for $15 a pop or $30 for 3?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Did you find an Oracle in Estgard?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
So am I getting my box copy and trinkets or not?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I still get access to episodes 2 through 6 though right?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
For as disappointing as almost every aspect of this game has been, there is some fun in it. It is not long-term, and it is not of great quality.

There are probably a few dozen hours of fun in this game that you can easily find without putting in much effort. If, from there, you go looking for more, you can find a few more dozen hours of fun.

If you liked the Ultima series (not just UO), you can probably find enough of its spirit to run around for a few hours and enjoying yourself, but only if you can get it at a deep discount. That said, if you're an Ultima or Garriott fanboy, you probably already pledged.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Stefan Prodan posted:

One thing I have always found funny is that I CONSTANTLY hear sounds from UO in all sorts of movies and TV even now. They must have pulled all those sounds from some really famous free sound pack or something.

The goat and sheep bleat I hear a lot, occasionally the cow mooing, and sometimes even the scorpion chittering sound. What really blew my mind was hearing the skeleton bone rattle when someone rattled pottery recently.

I would love to hear someone use that crazy ettin mating call, though.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Crossbows, uzis, talking suits of armor, pitfall traps and hidden doorways instead of gold leaf everywhere.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Agree. And if it's not his own idea, he'll pull another NCSoft and get his reputation bought out by some up and coming developer, then peace out on them when things fall apart.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think, and of course I could be wrong, there is a very, very vocal portion of the MMO market that continually bemoans the degradation of the challenge of online games. These folks will take any instance of making a game more accessible as a slight and crow about the game "becoming too casual". These players tend to thrive on the concept that if they can keep plugging away at lovely wastes of time they will be, and should be, better than those with less time to play. These people would rather go up to dozens of NPCs and go /where NPC name, and following pointing fingers, to find an NPC to give a quest that is vague and hard to understand, that they can grind on for hours for petty trinkets. The tedium and boredom that plagued older MMOs and artificially expanded the play times without adding actual content are their bread and butter.

Unfortunately almost every game made to target this audience has failed almost immediately, because most sane folks say "gently caress this".

While I don't necessarily think your assessment here is wrong, I think a lot of these folks are just longing for the old days of MMOs. Ultima Online threw you into a wide world with very little instruction, forcing you to interact with it and find your own way to thrive. It was a sandbox, and at the beginning anyway, Shroud was sold as somewhat of a sandbox itself. That fell to the wayside pretty early on.

And for that, when most people start talking about "exclamation points over heads" and MMOs being "too casual" they're almost certainly talking about WoW and how the MMO market was irreparably changed by it. Pretty much every MMO up to that point had been a grinding treadmill with a smattering of quests. Comparatively, WoW was a lot of hand holding and a questline railroad. That never sat well with a lot of the MMO hardcores of the time, and then MMOs went super mainstream, and those people became the minority.

So there's always going to be that subset of players who want to go back to the old wild west style MMOs like UO. Unfortunately, I think that kind of game only existed in the pre-mainstream MMO and internet in every household world.

tl;dr: A lot of people liked the tedious old-fashioned MMOs.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think every day about mashing flame 4 or something else stupid on ash gromnies to level and thank loving god that someone put an end to that stupid poo poo. Or in UO's case creating an auto macro to run my boat back and forth while alternating flame bolts and bandages because haha compelling gameplay.

That's how it ended up, sure; but what about pickpocketing someone key and emptying their house? Fleecing noobs through a moongate to be blasted by your buddies and looted clean? What about just the excitement of wandering around a fully fleshed out and seemingly living world without a connect-the-dots line of quests to lead you?

Sure, UO couldn't maintain that forever, but if you go back to the world before Trammel and before neon samurai masks, there was a magical time not just in MMOs, but in gaming as a whole.

THAT is the world I don't think can exist anymore. There Internet, players, and just the world in general have moved on from the kind of mindset where that would flourish.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
There's a handful of good ones that are locked into specific update eras, some that are off the wall with custom scripts, and most of them have next to no playerbase.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
That's exactly what I'm saying. Back then it was devastating but part of the game and you learned how to not be a scrub. Modern games you face roll to max level.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Shroud of the Avatar

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
And now those who endured are old enough to have enough disposable income to spend thousands of dollars for Unity assets to display in their evil Starr Long themed dirigible

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Mr. Pickles posted:

they didn't buy it, they backed it, and richard garriott stole the goon money and used popular mmo columnist as PR puppet to fool even more goons into his scam, even posters with integrity; but what the scammers did not know is that by scamming goons they signed their deathwarrant, for goon money is sacred, and node is on his way to their houses in full Avatar cosplay b0n3d3wd uniform to kill them and eat their beating hearts and the hearts of their loved ones thx

Fixed

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Latest Live release email straight up knows no one is playing anymore and opened with "Come back, Avatar!:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
DID ANYONE GET THEIR BOXES YET?!

I just got mine... and it's all surprisingly well-produced...

Full color manual and book with LB's notes for his Akalabeth D&D campaign.

A coin, a very heterosexual-looking ankh, and a really nice quality cloth map. I'm seriously surprised how nice this stuff is based on... everything else.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I logged in and played like 3 days. There are improvements, but it's still the same game and it seems like they're going to focus on Episode 2 now 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
There's a pretty good chance if you were on any of even the lowest Kickstarter tiers that you're going to get Episode 2 as well.