Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Experienced this recently when, after reading up on the insane Stardock drama

Is there a thread on the insane Stardock drama somewhere? 'Cuz it is insane. UQM is actually not terrible but it's old and outdated and it shows and lol Stardock just carbon copied it without much updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Wait, the group that made GalCiv? What have they done?

They've been engaged in a nearly decade-long attempt to steal the rights to Star Control after managing to buy the Star Control name and nothing else. They are really lovely and awful beyond that, but this is just another one for the pile of "Brad Wardell is one of the worst people in gaming". It involved stuff like threatening to sue the open-source remake project because the Star control creators gave them rights over the name Ur-Quan Masters (the alternate title of Star Control 2 that the creators own) if they didn't sign this licensing deal that actually stipulated that Stardock got all rights to Star Control 2's story, characters, etc if the project's forums ever did anything Stardock disapproved of.

They also did stuff like run a PR campaign to portray the original creators as frauds who convinced everyone falsely, including the publishers of Star Control 1/2/3 that they created Star Control when they had actually nothing to do with it and this Fine Team from the Publishers did all the work.

And this is really just the tip of the iceberg. Stardock is poo poo lal the way down.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I'm not aware of one on SA. I got curious after seeing a post or two about it in the SA Star Citizen thread, and did enough googling to find this giant offsite megathread. Even if you don't read through it all, the first post is a well researched timeline of events:

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/the-third-doctrinal-war-stardock-reiche-ford-and-star-control/134515

Yeah I post there too. I was just wondering about on SA as it's... probably a pretty good topic for the Games forum.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't even his worst character flaw. He was well-known for being such a lovely boss to work under that when EA bought Origin and took away all of his power that the rest of Origin was relieved and happy. Because they'd rather have the oppressive evil supercorp ruling them than HIM.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gynovore posted:

4 and 5 are the only games that actually require the player to not lie and boast and steal. All other Ultimas allowed you to be a typical RPG rear end in a top hat.

4 and 5 actually let you do all of that just fine. You just had to pay a very small pittance to make up for your evil deeds.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 24, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
How does he explain Ultima 7-1 and 7-2 being buggy unfinished pieces of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Ultima 7 had some bugs and design flaws, but all things considered it was good. 8 and 9 were the dumpster fires.

As someone who played it at the time, it was absolutely buggy and unfinished all over, especially Serpent Isle.