Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

apparently someone was selling polynesian outfits for cheap on the unity asset store

That lady looks pretty chill for having two broken arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chrysophylax posted:

How are things like the overall graphical quality of this game not raising huge red flags? This poo poo looks halfway-acceptable in like maybe 2004

Are people really hungering this badly for a new Ultima clone?

I've seen garbage graphics like this in alphas transform into delightful visuals later once the art team did their magic and so on. The first playable alpha of Divinity Original Sin looked loving terrible to the point it arguably looked worse than Divinity 1.

Shroud never had an art team as such so everything looks like a unity asset flip. For a good reason in many cases because "placeholder" became permanent quite a bit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WebDO posted:

All for the low, low cost of your dignity and pumping money into a scam

If you post on SA you've already checked your dignity at the door.

Scam? Well can't argue with that.

Funny story. I've played a few hours of *checks steam library because forgot the name* Resequenced. Which is a small team indie game that uses mostly unity asset store uh... assets. Not quite a flip because there is a complete game in there but it's nothing much to speak of. Never mind the game anyway, it's forgettable but for the price of a couple coffees gently caress it right? The funny part is the first open world level is full of those desert themed houses SotA sells for 50-100 realbucks a pop. You know, as scenery.

I think I paid seven dollars for the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

clone on the phone posted:

I'm calling it right here, right now. This tire fire will be gone in one year from now.

I honestly don't know how it's still operational right now.

Maybe the overhead is simply that low because everyone is working other jobs for actual income and they only pop into Richard Garriot's garden shed to code for a couple days a month.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got my box of shame in the mail. I don't remember what was supposed to be in it exactly and can't be bothered checking.

Looks okay for a boxed game from the 1990s including cloth map and metal trinket. Disc copy of the game in there. Don't own an optical drive anymore.

Probably a message in there somewhere.

Anyway it's on my bookshelf to collect dust forever more. Within eye distance of my Duke Nukem bust from the DNF collector box. Seemed appropriate.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Trying extremely hard to course correct your old statements about how good and not a scam this game is, huh

If anything I hope people reading this thread from start to finish don't reach this far in and suffer horrible buyers remorse.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Popping in to say that it's a wonderful, intelligent and Very Smart idea for all of you to invest heavily in this game for a mere $7999 each https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085 (scroll down)

Look it even includes this fabluous reward:

"Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, & Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC."

You know it makes sense. Invest now, if not sooner! Hurry only 7 bundles left!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fine dining I think we can all agree.

*microwave beeps*

Your banquet awaits my liege.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Notch, the creator of Minecraft, is a 100% grade A loving rear end in a top hat, who epitomizes "gamer" culture.

I know nothing about Notch other than "Minecraft" and "Hollywood Mansion" but I like him already.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

The funny thing about notch is he was already semi-well-known as a psychopath on some corners of the internet because he worked on wyrm online for awhile and was the perfect example of a wacko who works for a niche game and lets the power go to his head. I think a goon posted chat logs a couple years ago of notch going on a power trip because the guy had criticized the game's bugginess on the forums. Even during the minecraft years, he did things like compare server owners to drug dealers, but he was so out of the game at that point that there was a very "if only the czar knew!" vibe where one of his psychopath deputies was blamed for everything.

So when he emerged at an alt-right wacko a couple years ago it was not even remotely surprising, but the minecraft CM was still like "I looked up to him, how did it come to this?!" as though there were no red flags prior to that point.

*Turns page of choose your own adventure book*

Paragraph 59.

You currently have $7999. You have only three options available to you:

1) Eight grand microwaved soup banquet with Lord British (go to paragraph 12)

2) Eight grand pool party at Notch's Hollywood mansion (go to paragraph 178)

3) Being robbed of your 8 grand and being left bleeding, unconscious and naked in an alleyway. (go to paragraph 95, also cross out all your items)

After you have made your choice please turn to that paragraph and continue.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

Btw is Richard getting younger????

It sure seems like hundreds of thousands of dollars handed freely do wonders for your skin

It's a side effect of all the semen he ejaculates into young maidens in front of his microwaved soup guests.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

As much as I'd like to think this the brutal truth is: There are no good MMOs nor will there ever be

My good friend, after you're done experiencing the joy and wonder of Lord British's bespoke magnum opus mmo game Shroud Of The Avatar, might I entice you to try this hip & upcoming brand new mmo for cool people https://www.astellia-mmo.com/shop/package for a mere hundred of your Earthbucks Britannian gold coins to purchase the legendary founder pack?

You know it makes sense.

There's no way it will simply be another Riders of Icarus a-like. No way. Almost no way. Well maybe a bit but still unlikely. Buy now if not sooner!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

How do people keep falling for the 100+ dollar, early access MMO founder's pack thing? It's Lucy and the Football every time.

Because this time it'll be different! :angel:

Not like all those other times because this time around the difference is [CRC error, check disk Y/N]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The direct answer is we are all Charlie Brown. Forever.

Not a guy? Well now you are also your name is Charlie Brown. Forget your old name and welcome to the rest of eternity.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lonjon posted:

I read their FAQ page. Astellia's FAQ has a refund entry. Their refund policy link goes to an empty page:

https://www.astellia-mmo.com/refund-policy

It loads for me. Your internet browser of choice is broken.

Refund Policy
We appreciate your business and want you to get the most enjoyment possible from playing our games. Because of this, we have implemented the following refund policy for the Astellia.

In-Game Item Refund Policy:
We will refund any non-consumable item if you send a refund request within 3 days of purchase. You can submit your refund request by our customer support at support.astellia-mmo.com or sending an email to support@astellia-mmo.com. Include your name, username, email address, and information about the transaction.

Unfortunately, while we may process refunds on non-consumable items, we reserve the right not to do so at our sole discretion. For instance, if you request an excessive number of refunds within a short period of time, we may refuse to refund those items in order to prevent abuse.

Items that are consumables such as; potions, buffs, and certain items that change your appearance, are not refundable once consumed.

Game Pass Refund Policy:
We will refund your game pass purchase if you submit your refund request by support.astellia-mmo.com or sending an email to support@astellia-mmo.com within 14 days of purchase.

For EU Residents:
Your Right of Withdrawal

If you live in the EU, you may have certain rights by law with regard to withdrawal from certain purchases made online. Please read the following for more information on exercising these rights.

Conditions, Period, and Methods of Exercise

If you sign an agreement, you will have the right to withdraw without giving any reason within 14 days. The withdrawal period expires 14 days after the day of the conclusion of the agreement.

This right of withdrawal does not apply to online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it and you agreed that you would lose your right of withdrawal by starting the performance.

To exercise the right of withdrawal, you must notify us of the following information:

Your name
Your geographic address, and
Where available, your telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address;
You must also notify us of your decision to withdraw from the contract by means of an unambiguous declaration. You can use the withdrawal form template provided below, but it is not mandatory.

You may also complete and submit the model withdrawal form or other unambiguous declaration on our website at support.astellia-mmo.com or via email at support@astellia-mmo.com. If you use these options, we will send you an acknowledgment of receipt of the withdrawal without delay by email.

In order for the withdrawal period of 14 days to be respected, it is required that you transmit your communication relating to the exercise of the right of withdrawal before the expiry of this period. In all cases, the burden of proof for this exercise rests with you.

Effect of Withdrawal

In the event of your withdrawal from the agreement, we will refund all payments received from you without undue delay and, in any event, no later than 14 days from the day we are informed of your decision to withdrawal of the contract.

We will proceed with the refund using the same method of payment that you used for the original transaction. Another way can be used, but only with your express agreement. In any case, this refund will not cause you any expense.

Model Withdrawal Form

Attention: Barunson E&A

I hereby notify you of my retraction of the contract for the sale of __________ below:

Date Ordered: __________
Name of the Consumer: __________
Consumer Address: __________
Signature of the Consumer : __________
(only if sending via paper form)
Date: __________

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait are you suggesting that spending 2, 5, 10, 20k on internet pixels is a bad idea? Wow that's crazy talk.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There has never been a better time to invest a grand seven grand into an internet castle.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

Hurry buy now! Only 2 of 8 available!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone. There are still some of those cash money "lord of the isle" bundles with a video game castle for a mere $6999 USD available.
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

Please don't crash the page while you all rush to purchase.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We don't have a thread for it and honestly shouldn't, so gently caress it.

I got Elyon: Infinite Realm closed beta access. Should anyone be excited for it? The answer is an emphatic "ehh". It's staggeringly "ok". Think bland kmmo themepark. Adequate yet not engaging. I keep closing the client because I'd rather watch youtubers go on about meaningless crap.

Certainly nothing that matches even closely to Lord British's masterpiece. Have you bought your ten thousand dollar computer castle yet? WHY NOT hurry up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Popping in to mention that Tera Online is closing down forever in a couple months.

Shroud of the Avatar has outlasted Tera Online.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Would you like to engage in some sunk cost fallacy up to the 10 grand mark?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=41907

Sale! Normally 11 grand, yours for only $10480. A barren patch of in-game land that can theoretically house more players than the game probably actually has online at any given time.

I'm not sure what 3D chat-only programs are out there but I'm sure one of them probably does effectively the same thing for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just promise the world in a video game using whatever buzzwords attract punters to you. Get their money and pay yourself 6 figures while developing. Then the company "regrettably" goes bankrupt when the funding runs out. Oh well, whoops sorry try again next time. Repeat until they learn (they won't).

At no point do you ever need to deliver something approaching fun, a complete product, or even an actual product. The promise and dream is all you need.