Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the other thread on th is game is people complaining that it sucks donkey dick and a dev that works on the game justifying everything because its alpha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

does lum still post in this thread

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MMOs are dead and are replaced by games like pubg

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Byolante posted:

MMOs weren't killed by pubg and dota. PVP focused mmos were. FF14 and WoW still have crazy player counts that rival the biggest new AAA releases.

I think the next take on pvp MMOs is gonna be some sorta take on destiny's playbook

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thats because themepark MMOs are all largely the same, so why would you plan a sub par one that has a limited playerbase that won't last two years?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i want to go to their offices and take all their lunch money

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

it launched before star citizen though. +1 to lord brit

Challenger launched as well

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Thursday Next posted:

It's an OK game that's been polished to such a high degree that many people can't get a purchase on it, if that makes sense.

There are no hidden gems to find or broken builds to theorycraft. But, there are essentially zero game-breaking bugs, and a massive support staff that keeps everything running smoothly. Nothing is really challenging, or engaging. But nothing is really frustrating, or obtuse.

WoW is fine.

I like some jank in my games (finding tricks, or abusing mechanics, or crating cool builds are all kind of my jam). I don't sub to WoW any longer because of that. But it is by no means a bad game.

i miss world spawn bosses like in FFXI. Every MMO having instances makes the world feel dead

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

wildstar hiphop

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Capntastic posted:

I know people that were on Shroud’s art team and oh wow were they excited and proud to uproot their families and move to to work with game dev legend Richard Garriot on his return to glory

have you talked to them lately?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Soup du Journey posted:

nobody listens to the whales.

the business model for anything whale-friendly involves selling them a bill of goods (and doing so at a premium, to boot). only an idiot bitch would fall for it, and they can be trusted to fall in line with whatever you've got going on. they might grumble a bit like warhammer dwarfs, but they'll go along with it for sure. why would anyone ever listen to someone like that? whales are useless blubber barges with no place in the ecosystem. nuke the whales, in fact.

garriott quite literally phoned it in, by way of that nanny cam on wheels. i think this could probably have been a neat little reboot of some of the earlier ultimas, and a fine way to build up a boutique dev studio (sort of like what harebrained did with shadowrun and btech), but it doesn't seem like he was ever really interested in that. some of the early concept art suggested that it might be going in an ultima 1-6 direction, but all the design work pointed to a copy/paste of ultima online. somehow this was going to be both? what? as a freshman offering? how?

i think homeboy just saw the crazy success that croberts had, and knowing that guy to be a moron, figured that he himself could hardly do worse. but then he did. yikes...very embarrassing...

if he had hired a legit good art team and had them crank out awesome looking dragons he could have sold limited time only dragon mounts for 10k each easy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I'd like someone to point out what horrible thing Lum did other than take a job that paid him. The level of vitriol from that post was totally over the top.

the game was a pretty clear cash grab and he was part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I would absolutely work for an obvious scam since I wouldn't have to do anything. I would collect make-work money publicly and proudly.

lum alt spotted