Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
Screw it i love the genre. I'm reinstalling.

Edit:

After about 3 hours of playing, I'm not regretting that decision at all. I ended up meeting a couple of players, ran around the catacombs for a while exploring, getting used to the game, and having fun.

A couple worthless, random thoughts:

The RPG is super strong in this game.
In 3 hours total, ran into a crash twice while changing settings and alt tabbing a lot.
I swear the trees are the same damned trees from UO.
I see why most people won't like this game... you have to spend time reading and interacting with the NPCs. It's not really that thick though, and I think it adds to the game.
Stuff is super expensive. I'm sure I've spent money on crap I probably shouldn't have either... skills that are most likely worthless but I think is "cool"

The highlight was a point in the catacombs with my two friends that I had made from before. We came to a room that required a key, but we had found one on a corpse earlier, which fit the lock. After opening the door, there was a pretty standard set of mobs. We were disappointed, but I decided to try to open the barrel in the room, which turned out to be a mimic. After killing that, I figured there was something off, and went around looking for interactive... one torch opened a secret passageway in the wall and we continued. The end result was a bunch of mobs protecting a chest which had a bunch of gold and a helm in it that was an upgrade for me.

It was super simple, and I'm sure that most people would probably dismiss it, but the RPG nature of that exploration hit me exactly like it did when I first tried UO in 1998. I may find a lot of reasons to hate this game in the future, but I'll definitely get my enjoyment out of the game.

adomorn fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
This game encourages me to explore every bit of an area because I'm curious, and not because I'm grinding poo poo out.

This game touches me in ways that I haven't been since I was a child.

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
Eh, I think I just happen to be in the target audience for this game. I'm sitting here talking to NPCs... No concern to rush to the top or anything like that, I just want to explore. I played WoW the same way and it was a horrible experience for me. I'd rather get hooked into a 4 hour journey that has almost no loot at the end if it means that I had a lot of fun on the way.

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
can you fly zeppelins in this game?