Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

lynch_69 posted:

I remember playing Might and Magic 2 on my Genesis and being honestly surprised there was sci-fi space poo poo towards the end. I thought it was really cool and original at the time.
Each of the big three had their own approach to the sci-fi/med-fan mix. Might & Magic always treated the sci-fi as a late-game revelation and a Clarke's third law thing where technology and magic are actually the same thing. Wizardry revealed the sci-fi at the end of Wiz 6 and then in 7 and 8 it was just there from the get go, also unlike M&M's shiny metal sci-fi Wizardry's sci-fi is a spelljammer-esque fantasypunk thing. Ultima's sci-fi just was Garriott going "I'mma rip off Star Wars and stick some tie fighters in there for no reason" (and then same with Time Bandits). In that way the lovely hodgepodge that is SotA is very much true to the spirit of Garriott's early work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
someone posted a link to an article about about that in the "will there ever be a good MMO again" thread.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhymenoserous posted:

The Idtech engine seems like a big deal but pretty much is a drop in the bucket compared to source, unreal and unity.

Even discounting that source is directly based on idtech, unreal and unity owe tons to it too. Not just graphics tech, either (even though that's a big thing. The 3d accelerator market was really pushed ahead by Quake). Mods, LAN multiplayer as we know it, lag compensation tech for online action games, tons of those were pioneered by various idtech iterations. Even the weirder Carmack stuff that was derided at the time, like megatextures, has become 3d engine maintays. Heck, the very idea of licensing a game engine as middleware was pioneered by id.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No, that tech's definitely used in a lot of stuff. It's in Frostbite, in Ubi's games, it's been a standard DX feature since DX11.2, it is in Unreal Engine and even more generalized in UE5. They're just named differently. Virtual textures in most cases, tiled resources in DX. This is of course because they existed before (although Carmack did a lot of the groundwork of making them known and game-ready) and Carmack is the kind of guy who names Newton's Method Carmack's Method and stuff like that. To be fair he's not the only person like that, I remember way back when Crytech was calling normal mapping polybumpmapping and trying hard to make people use he term. Anyway, the main evolution is that in many cases virtual texturing is really used as a caching system that sees your usual texture assets as one giant adressable texture atlas, while actually authoring a whole gigantic texture as in Rage is not particularly widespread because in many cases you can generate the actual virtual texture contents dynamically anyway (like Ubi's engines or Frostbite do).

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rexxed posted:

Feels like he's just coasting on 20+ year old nostalgia at this point.

That point was 20 years ago.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mean, the thing in just about every Ultima game except maybe 6 is you're in a world where virtues are either absent or broken and you as the Avatar are the sole achievable conduit for them (and that's only actually enforced in what, three games?), if that. I love that for example serpent isle is pretty much the island of we-didn't-get-what-our-religions-are-about.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2022

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
In 6 there's no individual virtue tracking but you still need high Karma, don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Turns out it starts at an eligible value but should it drop too low you can't meditate, which is required at several points during the main quest.