Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Heard this game is the scam that Star Citizen aspires to be? Is it going up in flames? How spectacular is it? Is this due to outright malevolence and greed or is it pure incompetence? Also, was this the game with the $150 invisible dog pet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Can someone explain what the SeedInvest thing is for those of us that havent been following this game?

Also Alexander you need help dude. Seriously.

Dudes *barely* a whale on the Croberts scale.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

New to the thread, is Lum this thread's MoMa?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, what is the state of the game now? Is the seedvest drive still going? Will they release how much they make from it? Any news since the seedvest launch?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Are some of the lots not "tax free"? Is the lot tax real money or in game currency?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

itsnice2bnice posted:

Also, his contention that one of the big problems with modern MMO's are floating exclamation marks instead of convoluted text parsers always struck me as a little odd.

I think, and of course I could be wrong, there is a very, very vocal portion of the MMO market that continually bemoans the degradation of the challenge of online games. These folks will take any instance of making a game more accessible as a slight and crow about the game "becoming too casual". These players tend to thrive on the concept that if they can keep plugging away at lovely wastes of time they will be, and should be, better than those with less time to play. These people would rather go up to dozens of NPCs and go /where NPC name, and following pointing fingers, to find an NPC to give a quest that is vague and hard to understand, that they can grind on for hours for petty trinkets. The tedium and boredom that plagued older MMOs and artificially expanded the play times without adding actual content are their bread and butter.

Unfortunately almost every game made to target this audience has failed almost immediately, because most sane folks say "gently caress this".

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I played UO on release. I thought it was really enjoyable, but I had no frame of reference. Then I played Everquest for quite a while, which I thought was pretty darn good. When World of Warcraft came out I went with that and was surprised at just how much more *pleasant* it was to play than previous MMOs. The earliest MMOs could be remembered fondly because there was so little competition and the gameplay had not quite developed yet.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

What's the state of Shroud of the Avatar now? Is it getting any closer to being out of Early Access development hell? What is taking so long if it's not?

I believe it is in the phase of "Let's all quietly forget about this and pretend it never happened"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Any chance this project gets sued? Or will it actually beat Star Citizen out of the gate?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

iminers posted:

Sued for what?

I was being comical because other high profile beleaguered kickstarter game with macro-transactions, "Star Citizen", is now facing a large lawsuit from CryTek.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

also is a goon and was posting itt during the initial phase when there was hope. :v:

What was the moment the game officially ran out of hope? Was it a sudden event, or was it a slow slide into despair?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does Shroud of the Avatar have any vocal fanboys left, a la Star Citizen's Lethality or Clifford "AKA Miku" ?

Or has everyone given up on it entirely? Does Shroud of the Avatar have any internet warlords trying to destroy it?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is this the same Lethality who was incredibly vocal about Wildstar?

Yes, we call him the harbinger of failed MMOs.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A lot of what made UO interesting was the choices that needed to be made in game design. Instead of designing one game for one player, or a team game for two groups of players, it was totally different. Design choices needed to make it fun for one person, but without that fun compromising the thousands of other players. I think they got a lot of it wrong, too. It was very formative and paved the way forward for games to come. But it was never a particularly good game, although fun could be had playing it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This game looks a bit poo poo.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

extra stout posted:

A while back the official stream looked like it was running the game at about 19 FPS and I was banned for asking them to show the current frame rate

They better be careful; each ban basically reduces their total active players by about 5%.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gildiss posted:

Someone post the picture of Garriott's face on an iPad riding around on a hoverboard menacing the office like some kind of gazer.

I have never heard of this and now I won't be able to sleep until I see it!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

Those comments

“This game is just too good for WoW babies,” I insist, lifting one meaty leg from the couch. The effort comes close to exhausting me. “It’s literal perfection. Many gamers are afraid of that.” I begin to fart.

“If you don’t pledge to this game, if you haven’t already bought in for at least ten kay, you’re an obvious child. Go back to Call of Duty, you WoW baby.”

“WoW... babies!!”

I am always surprised when people criticize people for playing WoW, which I would assume almost every MMO player has tried or played for some time. There happens to be a reason it is successful and still in business. Turns out being wildly un-intuitive and grindy like these old school folks pretend to like kills games dead. Your game needs more than Lethality and his 5 followers to survive.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This game is so hot and fun to play the last post in 20 days was about a different game! So, is this hot mess still alive?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

mike12345 posted:

btw it's f2p now

Sea of Thieves or SotA?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It actually looks like a fun dinner party to me. I would love to join them. But I wouldn't pay for it. I would be willing to bring a side dish though. Not a hot one though. Hopefully BYOB so you don't have to drink home made Meade.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Didnt the Minecraft guy do this for a while and eventually reemerge as some kind of alt-right weirdo? Im pretty sure nerd fame and fortune pretty much destroys everyone it touches. At least video game nerd stuff. The actual smart nerds who do stuff like start Google and Microsoft seem to do ok.

Notch, the creator of Minecraft, is a 100% grade A loving rear end in a top hat, who epitomizes "gamer" culture.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It sounded like Snoop wanted to play minecraft with him as well. Snoop seems to be a pretty good dude.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think Garriot is mostly interested in weird (sex) parties and space?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I thought he was more into space than arctic? What is he doing up there?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Frog Act posted:

he's also an extreme right-wing lunatic who posted endless conspiracy theories and was broadly unhinged and abrasive

Are you saying he is a Star Citizen?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What is the state of the game now days? Does it still have running servers?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I guess the most important question is: Does Lethality still hold out hope for the game?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

It's way more profitable to not-make an MMO then to make an MMO.

The Star Citizen model has been very successful for them. I think they are up to the 400 million mark or something wild.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

*Let's not get ahead of ourselves meme*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Node posted:

I can't wait to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing all over again.

Hundreds? That is baby levels, barely a backer even, for Garriot/Roberts level crowd-scams. Err crowd-funds.