Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

This game is free on Steam. If I just play the offline mode and pretend it's a really mediocre, at best, if I'm being kind, single-player RPG will I miss out on anything due to not playing it online? I'm not terribly interested in playing another MMO right now tbh.

The little girl suddenly spawning as a second version of herself to follow me while the other character model stayed in the burning house was a nice touch that inspires confidence as to the quality of this game.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gildiss posted:

It isn't even really close to mediocre, just straight bad.
Probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between online and offline.

Just play a real game.

Yeah between this and now I finished the intro bit and uh... it's not good. Nevermind! RIP to all the people who crowdfunded this

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's only like 10GB so I still have it installed. Maybe if I get bored of whatever games I happen to be playing right now I'll dick around in SotA for a laugh. I mean, I played through the entirety of Daikatana once, so why not this awful thing as well?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I can't get over how extremely "90's generic low budget fantasy" the music in this game is.

I can't get over how extremely "90's generic low budget fantasy" this whole game is.

I wish Brad McQuaid was still alive so he could team up with Richard Garriot and Chris Roberts for the ultimate Boomer Video Game poo poo Show

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

blatman posted:

this is basically my dream team except i'd add John Carmack, he might have done exclusively FPS's but the man is a brain genius

I think the main difference is that Carmack has actually produced some good poo poo in recent years

The McQuaid-Roberts-Garriot triumvirate would come up with wild ideas for about 20 years and then produce some laughable poo poo like... well, SotA

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think you're thinking of Tabula Rasa and it was very mediocre. How much of that was Garriot and how much of it was NCSoft is debatable, I suppose, but I'm guessing it was at least 50-50. While Carmack hasn't done anything in a while I would argue his game engines have had a much larger impact on the gaming industry than anything Garriot has ever done (which is not meant to downplay how big a deal Ultima was/is, it's just that I'd argue the idtech engines are much bigger deals)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What about that Chronicles of Eleria game or whatever. I don't follow kickstarter MMOs but I hear that one made bank and basically doesn't exist and never will

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man, if I wasn't lazy and if I had no ethics it seems like it'd be *really* easy to make a million bucks or so from morons who want to own tokens that point to a .png

EDIT: I still feel like I'm missing something when it comes to understanding NFTs but I'm not and it really is exactly as stupid as I think it is.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh yeah, I tried to play this a few months ago and it was not good, I almost forgot about it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't get why those people love this game so much. Just play Ultima Online or Skyrim or some poo poo

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh right, 8,000 dollar castles or whatever lmao

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I forgot it was crowdfunded and there were stupid expensive packages sold.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've said it before and it may have even been in this thread but god drat if I wasn't lazy and didn't have ethics I'd probably jump in on this NFT/Kickstarter video game scam train, it seems like there's so many people out there just willing to throw stupid amounts of money at literally nothing but a promise.

I actually do think at one point maybe Garriot wanted to make a real product but now he has to know it's never gonna happen but loves rolling in cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh, Bullfrog. I want EA to make a new Magic Carpet game, that game slapped