Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

EQ is going to exist until the original generation of MMO nerds dies off.

Every spring thousands of people start over on a brand new TLP server and play content that is 20+ years old.

It’s like the return of the cicadas.

we are all chasing the dragon of killing our first bat or decaying skeleton in west freeport or gfay or whatever. i'm extremely tempted by the latest TLP server announcement. FV-style loot and randomized loot tables? *heavy breathing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

McQuaid's approach was a total reversal. Go back to what made EQ great and cash in on the nostalgia while beating the drums of things being better in their day. Around the time the project was announced, the games industry had begun a remaster renaissance, so it wasn't a bad idea on paper. But then he mismanaged the poo poo out of that project so badly, the entire team had to rebuild the game from scratch after he died.

one small correction here- Vanguard came out in 2007 and McQuaid passed away in 2019. There was the famous "hey everyone get the stuff you need for the evening" event where he gathered team up in the parking lot and announced they were all fired :v:

The other MMO he was (presumably mis)managing, Pantheon, was trying to do Vanguard's shtick but all over again. They've retooled to chase the usual tab-target theme park MMO market since his passing.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 3, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Camelot Unchained

Ackchually, there's no way Camelot Unchained can be a scam because they send me a link to an alpha test Google doc multiple times per week :shepicide:

I can't understate my relief upon finally seeing this:

only to reveal...

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 3, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ha! Great read. Idiots will still fund it though.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Get their money and pay yourself 6 figures while developing.

6 figures? You're way undervaluing yourself compared to these washed up John Videogames characters.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Node posted:

Lord British abandoned this game quite some time back.

Lord British used this one one weird trick to prevent players from killing him in his own game. Gamers hate him!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I really want EA to make a new Ultima, and Wing Commander game as a gently caress you to Garriot, and Chris.

this would be supremely awesome. if they made a low effort Wing Commander game that was a reskin of CoD:IW it would probably be moderately successful and angrily panned only by Snore Citizens for not respecting the Kzin Kilrathi background material.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Do you think the engineers are fake to get investors? Or worse, do they actually exist and are hiding from the shame of being associated with a web3/nft grift later?